6 Man football in North Dakota

The teams in 6 man

Re: 6 Man football in North Dakota

Postby bingobangobongo » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:58 pm

For your viewing pleasure, the 2015 Montana 6-man all-star game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIdeSMu1dzQ

The purists may not like it, but whatever. It's still blocking & tackling, running and passing, speed vs. size, etc.
bingobangobongo
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Mon May 07, 2018 11:33 am

If you have questions about if 6-man football could be successful in North Dakota, ask people from Grenora. That town absolutely loves their football team, pretty much every male teacher listed on their staff page coaches football.

A side note, Montana plays cross-state playoff games starting in the first round, some teams have to travel 9 plus hours to play playoff games...sorry to get off track, good bark, wrong tree...I forget that change is bad...
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon May 07, 2018 11:38 am

I also think it's interesting that Montana has about 45 6man teams but only 21 8man teams.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Mon May 07, 2018 11:57 am

ndlionsfan wrote:I also think it's interesting that Montana has about 45 6man teams but only 21 8man teams.

According to MHSA they have 44 teams in 8-player football and 33 teams in 6-player football.

Found this very ironic that these are their criteria for a school moving down (this is from 8-player to 6-player) but they appear to be the same at every level.

A. Current enrollment and estimated enrollment
projections cannot exceed 70 to petition.
B. Roster size for the past several years must be near or
under the average for Six-Player football.
C. Success factor in their current placement
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon May 07, 2018 1:27 pm

The Schwab wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:I also think it's interesting that Montana has about 45 6man teams but only 21 8man teams.

According to MHSA they have 44 teams in 8-player football and 33 teams in 6-player football.

Found this very ironic that these are their criteria for a school moving down (this is from 8-player to 6-player) but they appear to be the same at every level.

Maybe I saw some outdated info. I googled Montana 6man football and the site I found had 4 regions with 8+ in a region. Then I found an article talking about 8man having a neutral site for the championship game and they had 13 teams in one region and only 8 in the other.

I really hope this takes hold in ND and the NDHSAA adopts it. Even if the class only has 12-16 teams I think it would be beneficial. Down the road I could see ND with a Class A division, then 11man B dvision, 9man division, and 6man instead of the current alignment.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Mon May 07, 2018 1:41 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:
The Schwab wrote:

Maybe I saw some outdated info. I googled Montana 6man football and the site I found had 4 regions with 8+ in a region. Then I found an article talking about 8man having a neutral site for the championship game and they had 13 teams in one region and only 8 in the other.

I really hope this takes hold in ND and the NDHSAA adopts it. Even if the class only has 12-16 teams I think it would be beneficial. Down the road I could see ND with a Class A division, then 11man B dvision, 9man division, and 6man instead of the current alignment.

I agree and I also like the fact that once you're in a class you stay there unless you petition down and they look at all 3 factors.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon May 07, 2018 2:06 pm

The Schwab wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:
The Schwab wrote:

I agree and I also like the fact that once you're in a class you stay there unless you petition down and they look at all 3 factors.

Yes, I like the factors they have as well. Instead of just going by straight enrollment, looking at roster size and success to determine best placement.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Caveman » Tue May 08, 2018 9:27 am

hmmm, i dont know much if anything about 6 man football but i do believe that it would be really beneficial in north dakota if it gets implemented correctly, it would be a weird change right away but after a while it would become the norm, because say you had 2 schools of roughly the same size co-op to make one 9-man team there could either be 2 6-man teams or one 9-man team, it would probably give some teams an advantage and players more playing time
"Do not compare yourself to others. If you do so you are insulting yourself." ~Adolf Hitler
The Caveman
NDPreps Rookie

Postby 5-time state chump » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:52 am

The Schwab wrote:

They really should have a 7-player division, for those schools to small for 8-player and too big for 6-player.

I know there was discussion in Wyoming to have a 4-player division and a home-school division.
5-time state chump
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Powersave » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:31 am

Who are top 6man players in nd
Powersave
NDPreps Rookie

Previous

Return to 6 - Man