Most Dominant Team of All Time

North Dakota High School Football
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Most Dominant Team of All Time

Postby The Schwab » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:04 pm

Here are some I'd nominate after doing a little research-

1989 Beulah, 2001 Trinity, 2008 Harvey (yes I know they lost a game), 2013 and 2014 Cavalier. Just some I found. Feel free to debate.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Re: Most Dominant Team of All Time

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:32 pm

The year Hillsboro won it all they were pretty dominant. Maybe even those Cavalier teams that won AA titles as well.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wild Wolves » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:22 pm

New England Regent mid 90's 3 straight
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:03 pm

I said Beulah 1989 because they only allowed points in 2 games. 3 straight shutouts in the playoffs. Season score of 498-19!

Trinity 2001 only allowed points in 2 games. 11 wins by more than 35, closest game was 27-0. Season score of 510-14!

2008 Harvey- After the loss to Velva had 8 straight shutouts to win it all. Season score 390-34

2013 and 14 Cavalier- I'll give the nod to 2014 hard to argue with 754 points! Closest game against 9 man competition was 36-6 in the final
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:50 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:The year Hillsboro won it all they were pretty dominant.

This is the team I always come back too. I watched them 5+ games that year, but they lost a game. Absolutely crushed in the playoffs. I'll go back in a little bit and look at those scores.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby FootballFever42 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:28 pm

Flip wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:The year Hillsboro won it all they were pretty dominant.

This is the team I always come back too. I watched them 5+ games that year, but they lost a game. Absolutely crushed in the playoffs. I'll go back in a little bit and look at those scores.

Hillsboro was very dominant in '08 but their loss was at home to an average Richland squad (though Richland did make the playoffs) during the regular season. I would consider the '13 and '14 Cavalier teams to be the most dominant teams I have ever watched. During the '13 regular season there was not a single point scored against Cavalier. That is the only team I know of to accomplish that in North Dakota. Furthermore, both of their championship games were very lopsided. Especially against WNG in '13 when Ryan Chrest put on an offensive clinic for the ages.

I would also consider throwing the '15 Richland team in the mix. They finished the season 12-0 blowing out every opponent in the regular season with the exception of Hankinson who was a second-round playoff team that season. Additionally, during the playoffs they beat every single ranked team in the final state polls on their way to the title. Richland was the #3 seed going into the playoffs. They had a week 1 by week. Week two they took on #2 in the state Cavalier in RIchland and won 52-22 (ending Cavaliers post season win streak and the opportunity for a three-peat). In the quarterfinals the following week the took on #1 in the state Thompson in Richland and walked away with a 48-32 victory. In the state semifinals they faced #4 in the state Shiloh Christian in Richland and again collected another lopsided victory winning 50-22. The win sent Richland to the Dakota Bowl for the first time in ten years.

Many of us remember well the state title game that year. It featured #3 11-0 Richland against #5 11-0 North Prairie. It was the biggest test Richland faced the entire season and featured one of the most memorable plays in Dakota Bowl history: the Hook-n-Ladder. Richland won the game 44-38 completing their perfect season and cementing themselves forever in Dakota Bowl lore.
FootballFever42
NDPreps Reserve

Postby The Schwab » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:53 pm

Don't get me wrong, the 2015 Richland team was a very good team who finished the season undefeated. But if we're talking about the most dominant team of all time, I don't think they're on the list. In my opinion it's tough to get more dominant then this:

Valley City W 45-0
Killdeer W 41-0
Hazen W 27-0
DLB W 35-0
Bottineau W 42-0
Beulah W 41-0
Watford City W 54-0
Belcourt W 44-8
Bishop Ryan W 41-0
Lisbon W 52-0 Playoffs
Rugby W 40-0 Playoffs
Hazen W 48-6 Playoffs
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby FootballFever42 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:56 pm

I'm not sure I can agree with that. While I would not consider them the most dominant of all time, I would definitely put the '15 Richland team before both the '08 Hillsboro and Harvey teams.

I will say that after taking a peak at the stats you provided on the '01 Trinity team, they now have my vote for most dominant team. Their consistency in their margin of victory as well as in their apparent defensive prowess is beyond impressive. Just for fun I did a similar crunch on the '13 Cavalier team and this is what I came up with:

Regular Season:
Record: (7-0)
Points for: 416
Points against: 0
59.4 PPG

Playoffs:
LaMoure-LM W 50-24
South Border W 52-6
Napoleon-GS W 62-8
Westhope-NG W 54-6 (Dakota Bowl XXI)
Points for: 218
Points against: 44
54.5 PPG

It is not quite as impressive as the '01 Trinity stats due to them only playing 11 games and allowing a lot more points in the playoffs. Nonetheless, it is nothing to shake a stick at. I still would be curious to know if '13 Cavalier is the only team to hold all opponents to 0 points in the regular season.
FootballFever42
NDPreps Reserve

Postby madseason » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:12 pm

2015 PRFL Aggies. Undefeated, most of the points scored on them were in the second half when the JV were playing.
madseason
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:20 pm

If Cavalier has a team that shutout everyone? They have my vote. Especially in 9 man.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Class B » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:13 am

Long time follower of this board, first time posting!!! I'm just a ND HS football fan who loves to follow all divisions and respect the insight of other fans from all corners of the state.

How about most dominant program? According to the ND HS FB historical site, referenced in another thread, the Velva Aggies deserves to be mentioned. In the past 45 years... 1 losing season and 10 state championships. They've only missed the playoffs twice in the last 25 years.
Class B
NDPreps Starter

Postby madseason » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:21 pm

Class B wrote:Long time follower of this board, first time posting!!! I'm just a ND HS football fan who loves to follow all divisions and respect the insight of other fans from all corners of the state.

How about most dominant program? According to the ND HS FB historical site, referenced in another thread, the Velva Aggies deserves to be mentioned. In the past 45 years... 1 losing season and 10 state championships. They've only missed the playoffs twice in the last 25 years.
Dominant program for sure. Why is that? Coaching or something in the water in Velva? :)
madseason
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Wild Wolves » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:31 am

New England Regent from 95-97
1443 points for 269 against- 3 state titles- 36 and 0

State Titles were close games.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby Class B » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:16 am

Dominant program for sure. Why is that? Coaching or something in the water in Velva? :)

Common denominator for the better part of the last 25 years(?) has been Coach Sandy. He's one of the best at putting kids in the right position/spot on the field and running the right system that suits the product he has on the field. They don't have to be the best athlete, just the right fit for the scheme. Sort of like Herb Brooks..."not looking for the best players, just the right ones".

Otherwise, I think it's just a proud tradition. Kids want to be Aggies from a very young age and get excited about the game at a very young age. That carries from decade to decade.
Class B
NDPreps Starter

Return to Football