Players moving on to college baseball

HS and Legion ball in ND.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Players moving on to college baseball

Postby nomogprhokee » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:00 pm

Please use this thread to post any info on ND players continuing their baseball careers in college.
Let's keep supporting them at the next level
nomogprhokee
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Players moving on to college baseball

Postby nomogprhokee » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:40 pm

Schwabe from Thompson make DMACC starting lineup for Fall season
nomogprhokee
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Rivershark » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:54 am

Will Zimmerman from Park River signed to play at Arkansas State in 2018. He is currently playing at Indian Hills Community College in Centerville IA.
Rivershark
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby nomogprhokee » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:40 pm

Logan Morse Bismarck High. RS Freshman catcher. Minot State

Caleb Fornshell Minot High. SR INF Minot State
nomogprhokee
NDPreps Reserve

Postby NodakQ2 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:10 am

In looking at the rosters of VCSU, Mayville State and Jamestown College, you will find a TON of ND kids playing at "the next level".

Valley City State has 23 ND kids on their roster
Jamestown College has 12 ND kids on their roster
Mayville State has 9 ND kids on their roster.
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Rivershark » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:11 pm

NodakQ2 wrote:In looking at the rosters of VCSU, Mayville State and Jamestown College, you will find a TON of ND kids playing at "the next level".

Valley City State has 23 ND kids on their roster
Jamestown College has 12 ND kids on their roster
Mayville State has 9 ND kids on their roster.

Do any of these kids ever move up another level after one or two years of playing? It's interesting to hear the career paths for kids out of North Dakota that make it to the top. It seems to me that if you want to move up, you have to move out of ND.
Rivershark
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NodakQ2 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:58 pm

I think if you start at a ND school (college) for baseball, you've already resided to the fact that this level is maybe the end of the road. Even the percentage of kids that make it by going elsewhere is miniscule. Takes not only exceptional talent, but some breaks along the way to get to the highest level. And our short season doesn't help with the development of great baseball players.

Most of the kids listed in my post above don't see the field until year 3. So, no, I don't see them moving around much. Sure there are exceptions. I know Brady Nygaard from Mayville (Mayville State) and Brady Smith from Carrington (VCSU) have been starting since they've been freshman and are now juniors and both appear to be content where they've landed and are doing great in their respective programs.

If you think you have what it takes, you better go South or West. Or better yet, get with one of the majors that ends up in the College World Series every year. You see a lot of those guys getting drafted... 8)
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:13 pm

But we have had our few make it to the minor leagues (and a few to the majors). I think I remember a list of 17 players that were born in ND that made it to the Majors...and we've had a decent number make it to the minor leagues. ND athletes don't usually get the ability to train year-round because of our harsh winters but athletes DO make it to the 'Show' even with that.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby nomogprhokee » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:59 pm

Those players that have a bit edge, out of HS, that decide to go south, seem to really jump as far as player development goes. There are players that decide to stay local, that could make a jump to high end D2 or maybe D1, but they select not to want to ride the pine at said NCAA program for 2 years, or Grind it out at one of the High end JUCOs like T Hafner. C. Schwabe and W Zimmerman are taking same path. Let's see how far they can go.
nomogprhokee
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Hammer126 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:37 am

Any Fargo guys moving on???
Hammer126
NDPreps Rookie

Postby nomogprhokee » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:12 pm

I forgot Brock Reller. Looks like he’s making the adjustment to Velo (mid 80s-90). Let’s hope for a good year for Brock. there is 1 Fgo kid at DMACC. I’ll post an update.
nomogprhokee
NDPreps Reserve

Postby nomogprhokee » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:06 pm

Denver Blinn from WFgo is starting to catch fire at DMACC. Hitting 400+ through 14 games. Keep following this kid. He’s gonna get some offers if he find a D hole and stays there.
nomogprhokee
NDPreps Reserve

Return to Baseball