Rivalries

The teams in 9 Man

Rivalries

Postby The Caveman » Mon May 29, 2017 11:59 am

What are/were some of the biggest rivalries in ND 9-man football?
"Do not compare yourself to others. If you do so you are insulting yourself." ~Adolf Hitler
The Caveman
NDPreps Rookie

Re: Rivalries

Postby Texlie44 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:56 pm

North Prairie and St. John have been a very big rivalry throughout the past couple seasons. Friday's game should be very good.
Texlie44
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:01 pm

Texlie44 wrote:North Prairie and St. John have been a very big rivalry throughout the past couple seasons. Friday's game should be very good.

That's probably one of the top ones...Cavalier/Thompson is becoming a good one as well.

There's been so much movement between A & 9-Man that it's hard to pick many others that have lasted awhile.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby steel » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:17 am

I think St. John will blow them out. Too many skilled kids and they are deadly running the option. North Prairie might have a little size advantage but not enough skill positions to keep up. A rivalry game so it might be closer than I think.
steel
NDPreps Starter

Postby Wilbur » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:50 am

It is hard to remember really good rivalries in 9-Man because most of the old rivals are either co-oped or do not exist as a team anymore. There had to be some fierce rivalries in the day like New England, Elgin, Mott and others in that area. I’m sure Ellendale and Edgeley was a big rivalry at one time, but they are now co-oped and playing 11-Man, and Emmons Central (Strasburg) and Zeeland was a big rivalry back in the 1970’s, but they are now combined as Strasburg-Zeeland. I would think that Linton and Strasburg, or Linton and Emmons Central would have been a big rivalry, as would have Napoleon and Linton. Napoleon/Gackle-Streeter and Linton-HMB could still be rivals today, as could Linton-HMB and Strasburg-Zeeland since they are in the same county (Zeeland is on the edge of McIntosh County near Emmons). It would be interesting to have people from different areas of the state name some of the 9-Man rivalries from their regions back when there weren’t so many co-ops.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bingobangobongo » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:13 pm

Wilbur wrote:It is hard to remember really good rivalries in 9-Man because most of the old rivals are either co-oped or do not exist as a team anymore. There had to be some fierce rivalries in the day like New England, Elgin, Mott and others in that area. I’m sure Ellendale and Edgeley was a big rivalry at one time, but they are now co-oped and playing 11-Man, and Emmons Central (Strasburg) and Zeeland was a big rivalry back in the 1970’s, but they are now combined as Strasburg-Zeeland. I would think that Linton and Strasburg, or Linton and Emmons Central would have been a big rivalry, as would have Napoleon and Linton. Napoleon/Gackle-Streeter and Linton-HMB could still be rivals today, as could Linton-HMB and Strasburg-Zeeland since they are in the same county (Zeeland is on the edge of McIntosh County near Emmons). It would be interesting to have people from different areas of the state name some of the 9-Man rivalries from their regions back when there weren’t so many co-ops.

If 6-man football gains traction in ND, maybe some of the old rivalries across the state could be revived.

Honestly, I would rather see 6-man, 9-man, and 2 classes of 11-man in ND vs our current set-up of 9-man and 3 classes of 11-man.
bingobangobongo
NDPreps Starter

Postby NoDakGuy » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:56 pm

The Caveman wrote:What are/were some of the biggest rivalries in ND 9-man football?

I'll focus on the word "were":
Strasburg and Linton
Esmond/Maddock and North Central Benson (Leeds/Minnewaukan)

Strasburg and Linton is still going strong, and the Esmond/Maddock/Leeds/Minnewaukan was pretty much combined for a few years (even though Esmond is closed), but that rivalry was a good one!

Kind of miss all of those small town rivalries.....
NoDakGuy
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flip » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:59 pm

Strasburg/Linton was the first one that came to mind.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wilbur » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:19 pm

Strasburg and Linton was and still is a big rivalry, simply because the towns are only 10 miles apart. However, the teams did not play each other when Linton was Class B 11-Man (1987-92), or Class A 11-Man (2005-14). The rivalry was renewed when Linton-HMB went to the 9-Man ranks again in 2015. The big rival was Linton and Emmons Central, which began in 1974 when Linton came into the 9-Man ranks, and lasted until Emmons Central closed in 1985. From 1960 to 1966, Strasburg St. Ben’s and Linton played each other, but Linton also had a parochial school (St. Anthony’s). St. Anthony’s closed in 1966, and combined with St. Ben’s to form Emmons Central. The kicker was that many catholic families from Linton sent their kids to Emmons Central, and thus, that is what made the rivalry. Back in the day when only one team from the conference made the playoffs, Linton and Emmons Central usually knocked the other team out of the playoffs with their only loss. Emmons Central was 24-3 from 1978-80, but did not make the playoffs in any of those seasons. St. Ben’s/Emmons Central had some powerhouse teams in the 1960’s and 1970’s, and a lot of them went undefeated, but there were no playoffs until 1974, so no one heard about them except around south central ND. Both Emmons Central (Al Dosch) and Linton (Dan Imdieke) had Hall of Fame coaches, but after Imdieke lost his first two games against Dosch in 1977 and 1978, he won the final six meetings between the two legends. In fact, Linton was 9-2 in its final 11 meetings with Emmons Central from 1974-84.
Not to forget Zeeland, which came out of the same conference and won State titles in 1977 and 1978. Zealand killed both Linton and Emmons Central in 1977 on the way to an unbeaten season. In 1978, Linton upset Zeeland, which was missing some key players, but Linton lost to Emmons Central, and then Zeeland beat EC, and would go on to defend its State title.
With that being said, Linton-HMB and Strasburg-Zeeland may still be a rivalry, but the entire season just doesn’t hang in the balance on one game like it used to, and it is more for bragging rights until both teams have state powerhouses like they did in the early 2000s.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:30 pm

Wilbur that was an awesome post. I didn't know Linton had it's own private school. I was always under the assumption Emmons Central was in Strasburg, was it in the town or was it out in the country?

Really hard to believe Zeeland could win state titles. Just a couple years ago they didn't even have a senior class. I remember talking to a guy that was on one or both of those state title teams and he said they had 11 all conference players. He always exaggerated so I never knew if I could believe him.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wilbur » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:51 pm

Flip, Emmons Central was in town across the street from Strasburg Public School. When Emmons Central closed, Strasburg moved it elementary classes into the building, but St. Ben’s Elementary was still operating and was located on the east side of EC. St. Ben’s closed in 1988, I believe, and the school was still owned by the church and used for CCD classes. St. Ben’s has been around since the 1930s, and St. Ben’s High School (later Emmons Central) was built in 1960, so the St. Ben’s building is old and showing its age. Strasburg has used the former EC gym since 1985. Strasburg’s old gym was still used for grade school and junior high games until only a few years ago. It was a very small gym without a full regulation floor, but it had a balcony, which was kind of cool. St. Anthony School from grades 1-8 started in 1945, and the high school was built in 1957. They only had seven graduating classes (1960-66) before they closed the high school. The grade school continued until 1969. Funny thing was, that St. Anthony was the largest school in the county when it closed, and they wanted just one parochial school in the county. It is a long story why they moved the combined school to Strasburg, but that left a bitter taste in the mouths of a lot of Linton families.
Linton played St. Anthony in basketball a few times, but SA was Class C for many years. They did participate in the Emmons County Tournament, though. St. Anthony also had a football team and played Linton three times (1963-65), beating them once.
St. Ben’s High School and Emmons Central were called the Knights, and St. Anthony’s nickname was the Saints. They called the St. Ben’s grade school teams the Squires.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Wilbur » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:21 am

Flip, I don’t know how a team could have 11 All-SCC players on a 9-Man team, unless he meant from both years combined. Zealand had some outstanding players on those teams, especially the 1977 team. Some prominent names include Kevin Dockter (1977 team), who has coached at Underwood (now Central McLean) for about 30 years or so. The quarterback on the 1977 team was Kent Schweigert, and his brother, Kyle, was the QB on the 1978 team. You may know Kyle (Bubba) as the head coach at UND. Other players I can remember are Cameron Dockter, Jan Levi and John Reede. Some other last names were Meier, Wolf and Schaffner, but I can’t remember their first names. I know they lost about 7 starters from the 1977 team, and weren’t expected to even repeat as SCC champs in 1978, but they finished in a three-way tie with Linton and Emmons Central, and were awarded the conference title and a playoff berth based on the “power-point” schedule. If you are not familiar with the power point system, it was a tie-breaker determined by strength of schedule. All three teams played one non-conference opponent, and Zeeland defeated Hereid (S.D.), which I think won five or six games. I can’t recall who EC beat, but they only had one or two wins, and Linton beat Parshall, which didn’t win a game. If the tie-breaker were the same as today, Zeeland would have still won the SCC. Zealand beat Emmons Central, 27-8, but lost to Linton, 12-0, leaving them with a plus 5. Emmons Central beat Linton, 24-6, leaving them even (capped at 17 points), and Linton would have been -5.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Wilbur » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:45 am

Correction to an earlier post. Dan Imdieke won his final 8 meetings with Al Dosch. After Emmons Central closed, Dosch went on to coach Strasburg until the early 1990’s. Linton, under Imdieke, defeated Emmons Central/Strasburg each year from 1979-86, until Linton went to Class B 11-Man in 1987. Leon Opdahl, who led Zeeland to back-to-back State titles in 1977 and 1978, defeated Linton in Imdieke’s first season as head coach in 1977, but Linton won the final 8 meetings between the two coaches (1978-85).
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Texlie44 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:50 pm

steel wrote:I think St. John will blow them out. Too many skilled kids and they are deadly running the option. North Prairie might have a little size advantage but not enough skill positions to keep up. A rivalry game so it might be closer than I think.

Both teams played a very good game, but it came down to who wanted it more, and North Prairie played like they wanted it more. 3 of St. John's starters ended up getting hurt by NP's defense, and the standout performance came from North Prairies freshman Xavier Mitchell. Mitchell had 3-4 interceptions, I believe he had 2 touchdowns and returned a interception for 78 yards, and a couple of the biggest hits I've seen from a kid standing at only 5'9". Bright future for him.
Texlie44
NDPreps Rookie

Postby steel » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:13 pm

Looks like my prediction was way off on NP and St. John. Congrats to NP and Coach Wilkes on a big win. Were any of ST. John injuries serious? Did McGillis and Parisien play the whole game? Rivalry games are very unpredictable. Looks like NP is in the drivers seat for homefield and region title now. I don't know if anyone else in that region can play with those two.
steel
NDPreps Starter

Postby NDsportsfan05 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:46 pm

McGillis was injured in the second quarter.
NDsportsfan05
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Texlie44 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:18 am

steel wrote:Looks like my prediction was way off on NP and St. John. Congrats to NP and Coach Wilkes on a big win. Were any of ST. John injuries serious? Did McGillis and Parisien play the whole game? Rivalry games are very unpredictable. Looks like NP is in the drivers seat for homefield and region title now. I don't know if anyone else in that region can play with those two.

McGillis left the game before halftime and ended up with a high-ankle sprain, and Parisien got pretty banged up throughout the game but he did end up finishing. Sounds like Parisien will be fine, but not sure if McGillis will be playing this week or not.
Texlie44
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Wilbur » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:17 am

This is it? I can’t believe it! I was looking forward to people posting some awesome rivalries of the past—not just in 9-Man, but in Class B 11-Man and Class A from the “olden” days. Sure hope someone picks up on this thread again.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Mossy84 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:24 pm

In recent years teams like Cavalier and Thompson have become big rivals.

But I gotta give up to St. John and North Prairie the atmosphere for that game this year was ridiculous ...
Mossy84
NDPreps Reserve

Postby jthom43 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:43 pm

Some good rivalries in Region three are Linton/South Border, Linton/Kidder County, Napoleon/SB, Linton/Napoleon, and Kidder County and Napoleon. All games are usually VERY competitive and fun to watch. This year it will come down to KC, Nap, and Linton for the region, and it starts with KC @ Linton tonight. Will be a fun game to watch, I pick whoever wins this game takes the region.
jthom43
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Flip » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:34 pm

The Wishek/Ashley co-op has beat Linton one time.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wilbur » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:20 am

Rivalries are different now, and it seems there are no more true rivals since the implementation of co-ops, and the fact that your rival may change from year to year based on who is in your way to win the region or make the playoffs.
Whatever semblence of a rivalry that is left in Region 3 would have to be between the towns that made up the “old” South Central Conference, which are now all part of a co-op (not just for football, but for all or most sports). In 1980, the SCC consisted of Ashley, Emmons Central (parochial school in Strasburg),Kulm, Linton, Napoleon, Steele, Strasburg, Wishek and Zeeland. Rivalries were started or continued based mainly on the proximity of the towns—Napoleon vs. Wishek, Wishek vs. Ashley, Ashley vs. Zeeland, Zeeland vs. Emmons Central, Emmons Central vs. Strasburg, EC and Strasburg vs. Linton, etc.
Linton seemed to be everyone’s rival in the 1970s, even though they were rarely the favored team in the SCC. I can’t explain this, but maybe it was the fact that Linton had the largest school in the SCC, and it made everyone feel good to beat the biggest bully on the block, and not necessarily the strongest.
That all changed in the late 1970s, when Linton started an incredible streak that would span six years (1979-84), where they won 46 straight SCC games, and of course, six straight outright SCC titles. In each of those years, Linton’s main rival was its closest challenger for the SCC title and the ONLY playoff berth. That included Emmons Central (1979 and 1980), Strasburg (1981), Zeeland and Ashley (1982 and 1983), and the Strasburg/EC co-op in 1984. It took a newcomer, Edgeley, to finally end Linton’s conference winning streak in the opening game of the 1985 season, but Linton’s local rivals kind of faded when Linton went back and forth to Class B 11-Man (1987-92) and Class A (2005-14).
It is hard to say there is a fierce rivalry when one team dominates the series, and that has been the case with Linton’s rivalries with Napoleon, Ashley and Wishek, and Steele over the years.
Since 1974, Linton is 30-2 vs. Steele, Steele-Dawson and Kidder County co-ops, and 25-2 vs. Napoleon and the Napoleon/Gackle-Streeter co-ops. Steele-Dawson defeated Linton in 2004 and 2005, but Linton has won the last 7 meetings, including Sept. 15 over Kidder County. Napoleon defeated Linton-HMB in 1998 to stop an 18-game losing streak against the Lions, and did not beat them again until last season.
Linton has won 32 of its last 33 meetings with Wishek, Ashley, or the Wishek-Ashley (South Border) co-op. I don’t know when the last time Ashley beat Linton on its own, but I am guessing it was in either the late 1960s or early 1970s. Wishek defeated Linton in 1977, but Linton won the next 9 meetings, and Linton defeated Ashley 7 times between 1980-86. The Wishek-Ashley co-op was established by the time Linton returned to 9-Man in 1993, and Linton has won 16 of 17 meetings since. W-A’s only win in the series came in 1997.
If there is an old rivalry left in Region 3, it would have to be Linton-HMB vs. Strasburg-Zeeland, mainly because three of the schools are in the same county and another is near the county line. Since EC and Strasburg combined in 1984, Linton (HMB) and Strasburg (Zeeland) have met 20 times, including twice in the playoffs. Linton is 13-7 in those games, but each team has won a playoff game against each other. Linton-HMB won at Strasburg in the 1995 playoffs, and Strasburg-Zeeland won at Linton in the 2001 semi-finals. It was estimated that there were 1,500 fans at that game, which is amazing, since both towns combined don’t have many more residents than that. Strasburg-Zealand won its only State title that season. However, Linton again went to 11-Man for 10 years, which kind of fizzled the rivalry a little, and Linton has won the past 5 meetings while outscoring S-Z, 187-36, in those games (over 30 pt. margin per game).
I thought Linton and Edgeley would become a big rivalry, but realignment has moved the two teams up and down and into different regions, and was too sporadic. The teams met a dozen times in the regular season from 1985-2004, with each team winning 6 times, and Edgeley-Kulm won the only playoff meeting between the two teams in the 1996 quarterfinals. Linton-HMB played the Ellendale/Edgeley-Kulm co-op in 2013 and 2014 and won both meetings, but I would guess it would be a different story the last two years or so, since E/E-K is a powerhouse in Class A.
Sorry this is such a long post, but I love the history of high school sports, especially the area I am familiar with, and once I get writing, I start babbling with my fingers.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:02 pm

North Star and Benson County have a decent rivalry even though North Star has had the edge in victories. This weekend the teams match up when it counts now that North Star is moved back into Region 4. It's Benson County's homecoming and the game should decide the #4 seed for the playoffs while the loser will more than likely be on the outside looking in for the playoffs.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby GoTheDistance » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:18 pm

@Wilbur
Yes, Edgeley-Kulm and Ellendale were a good rival. Made it all the more interesting when they came together. Ellendale and Oakes have been rivals on the basketball court for decades...and it carried onto the football field IMO when they were in the same division. In 2015, the winner made playoffs. Oakes won (I think it was a field goal). Last year, EEK won (obviously).
GoTheDistance
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Wilbur » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:47 am

I forgot about Edgeley and Ellendale. Also, Edgeley and Kulm must have been a rivalry, too. They were in different conferences for awhile, but they were in the SCC together from 1985 until they co-oped. I would guess that Edgeley would have had the upper hand in that rivalry, but I remember Kulm didn’t have very good numbers, but they always played hard and gave you a good fight. Kulm had a pretty good team in 1980. I think they were 6-3 with losses to eventual State Champion Linton, along with Emmons Central and Wishek. If I remember correctly, Don Pressler (sp.) was the QB, and Aaron Kramlich was a good receiver for them.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Next

Return to 9 - Man