Hitting Leaders

Hitting Leaders

Postby Rivershark » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:02 pm

I'm curious to know if anyone in North Dakota tracks the individual hitting leaders for the season or even the all time leaders throughout the years. What can we do to get some recognition for these kids or to see who the top leaders are throughout the state. What kind of numbers did Darin Erstad or Travis Hafner have in High School?
Rivershark
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: Hitting Leaders

Postby Rivershark » Tue May 09, 2017 8:48 am

Is it common to see high school players hitting over .500 ? How about 30 RBI's or Runs?
Rivershark
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The Schwab » Tue May 09, 2017 11:55 am

I would say 30 RBI's and Runs would happen fairly often.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby lamontcranston » Tue May 09, 2017 3:02 pm

.500 averages aren't super uncommon, but how many of them are legit? The majority of high school baseball stats you see have inflated batting averages. There are a lot of stat keepers who can't distinguish a hit from a fielder's choice at the high school level.
lamontcranston
NDPreps Reserve

Postby wan2bqb » Wed May 10, 2017 6:56 am

Agreed. Some books are good but others don't know if its a FC, hit, error, or sac. A single with an extra base on the throw or a legitimate double. Many variables that don't get recorded. How to decide if it was an error or a hit can be tough at this level because often its someone part time helping out. .500 isnt to uncommon but 30 and 30 should be considered good years. I assume you must be referring to Zavalny currently hitting .523 with 22 runs and 23 RBI from PRFL? Good numbers for sure most teams don't have a guy with numbers quite that good. I would say Peter Ligren would be the closest in Region 1 with .611 ba 17runs 17 rbi and 4 hr. .500 doent impress me much but 30 and 30 means you were there when it counted.
wan2bqb
NDPreps Starter

Postby hook » Wed May 10, 2017 9:13 am

I agree that a kid hitting .500 is good but I think if a kid puts up 30 rbi and 30 runs it says a lot more about the player. The Batting Avg. stat in High School ball is a little inflated due to pitchers coming off of long cold winters throwing mostly fastballs.
hook
NDPreps Starter

Postby NDPREP » Wed May 10, 2017 11:20 am

This is decent but its only good for teams who update stats or auto upload them but not many are complete....

http://www.maxpreps.com/list/stat_leade ... l&state=nd
NDPREP
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Wed May 10, 2017 11:39 am

hook wrote:I agree that a kid hitting .500 is good but I think if a kid puts up 30 rbi and 30 runs it says a lot more about the player. The Batting Avg. stat in High School ball is a little inflated due to pitchers coming off of long cold winters throwing mostly fastballs.

why? runs and RBIs are highly dependent on your teammates.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby spins » Wed May 10, 2017 11:59 am

NDPREP wrote:This is decent but its only good for teams who update stats or auto upload them but not many are complete....

http://www.maxpreps.com/list/stat_leade ... l&state=nd

Yes a bit misleading, there are 3 or 4 kids on DLB that are close to .500 and 2 kids with home runs.
spins
NDPreps Starter

Postby wan2bqb » Thu May 11, 2017 8:54 am

Flip wrote:
hook wrote:I agree that a kid hitting .500 is good but I think if a kid puts up 30 rbi and 30 runs it says a lot more about the player. The Batting Avg. stat in High School ball is a little inflated due to pitchers coming off of long cold winters throwing mostly fastballs.

why? runs and RBIs are highly dependent on your teammates.

Because if you aren't on base then no matter what your team mates do you don't score. If team has no one else is hitting well, then the best hitter may have a higher average just because with no one on and no threat behind them in the order, then you go after the batter. If your getting 30 RBI or scoring 30 Runs that means not only can you hit, but hit when they are not just grooving you fastballs. They try and pitch around you, not give you anything good, that's why getting those numbers is impressive. Give me a high batting average when runners are in scoring position any day. Give me guy that makes good contact, doesn't strike out, walks when they don't give him something to hit, and is willing to lay down a sacrifice or hit behind the runners when needed all day every day.
wan2bqb
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Thu May 11, 2017 10:50 am

wan2bqb wrote:Because if you aren't on base then no matter what your team mates do you don't score.

Still dependent on your teammates.

wan2bqb wrote:If team has no one else is hitting well, then the best hitter may have a higher average just because with no one on and no threat behind them in the order, then you go after the batter.

In general one good batter in a poor lineup will see less good pitches to hit.

I'm not saying RBIs and runs scored are bad, it's just a bad way to measure how good a player is. Kind of like wins for a pitcher.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby wan2bqb » Thu May 11, 2017 1:36 pm

Flip wrote:
wan2bqb wrote:Because if you aren't on base then no matter what your team mates do you don't score.

Still dependent on your teammates.

Still true, team mates do help but if you don't produce when it matters I don't care if you bat .500. So in your batting average is king that means a kid who bats .523 in 9 plate appearances is more talented or important than a guy that hits .400 with 30 and 30. in 75 plate appearances? They both matter but tell me what he does when there are guys on, with a hit and run called and a guy on third can he hit it to the right side on the ground and accept the possibility of not getting a hit or a sac but still plating the run? What kind of teammate is he?

wan2bqb wrote:If team has no one else is hitting well, then the best hitter may have a higher average just because with no one on and no threat behind them in the order, then you go after the batter.

In general one good batter in a poor lineup will see less good pitches to hit.

Obviously not here ERA is king, also since the pitch count came into effect what is his efficiency? pitched per batter faced and BAA. Wins are more dependant on your teammates than any other stat.

I'm not saying RBIs and runs scored are bad, it's just a bad way to measure how good a player is. Kind of like wins for a pitcher.
wan2bqb
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Fri May 12, 2017 6:08 pm

wan2bqb, you rattled off a lot of stuff I never talked about. My point is you can't say player X is better than player Y based off of runs and RBIs. There are too many variables out of a hitter's control. btw, I'm not big into batting average either.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby wan2bqb » Sat May 13, 2017 2:26 pm

Flip wrote:wan2bqb, you rattled off a lot of stuff I never talked about. My point is you can't say player X is better than player Y based off of runs and RBIs. There are too many variables out of a hitter's control. btw, I'm not big into batting average either.

My point exactly. I believe a player can hit .500 and while it may take help to get 30 and 30. I believe that is a much more impressive stat. I think we are actually in agreement and may be arguing semantics.
wan2bqb
NDPreps Starter

Return to Class B