2017 Class B Boys Golf Teams/Individuals to beat

2017 Class B Boys Golf Teams/Individuals to beat

Postby ProV1X » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:50 pm

Hey, its 2 weeks until the Class B boys can start golf practice. The State tournament is in Mandan I believe, even the NDHSAA Now says it in Bismarck. I've been told it is at Prairie West.

Who are the best teams and individuals returning? Will Heart River get it done this year? Can Kindred ride their youth to a repeat? Will Tioga and Stanley contend? Can Northern Lights be in the mix like they usually are?

Individually can Joey Wagner get it done again as a senior? Are there other returning individuals that will be strong this year?

Just thought I would get the talk going, as spring will be coming soon.
ProV1X
NDPreps Reserve

Re: 2017 Class B Boys Golf Teams/Individuals to beat

Postby golfer1678 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:23 pm

Here is who I feel will be favorites to win region
Kindred:
Brock Benson
Parker Bartels
Oak grove:
Has a couple younger kids that were good last year and could make some noise
Hillsboro:
Austin Reed
Nick Preston
MPCG:
Marcus Dale
golfer1678
NDPreps Rookie

Postby ProV1X » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:53 pm

I think you are right on. Kindred should still be the favorite as you indicated-they went undefeated last year which could be a tough task to duplicate but I think they return lots of talent.

Benson(Sr) Several top 10s last year at regular region meets
Bartels(Fr) Top 20 at state last year as an 8th grader
Henke(Fr) Played varsity for most of last 2 seasons
Olson(Fr) New kid, I heard he is solid

Oak Grove-
Wetsch (8th Grader) qualified for state last year as a 7th grader
Boehning(8th Grader) new kid on team, really good junior golfer

Hillsboro-
Reed (Sr) Has been solid for 3 years-Top 20 at state last year.
Preston(Jr) Has been up and down but his good days he is really good.
Heinitz(So) up and comer. Has shown signs of good golf.
Reed(Fr) Up and down, but is pretty good when he is on.

MPCG-
Marcus Dale(Sr) has to be the favorite in Region 1. Solid golfer, works hard at it. 6th place at state last year.

Central Cass
Tate Camas(Sr) qualified for state last year.

How about other regions?
Heart River-Wagner, Ewoniuk, Jacobson
Tioga-is Fifer and Valliere back?
Stanley-Lee and Hetzel
Glen Ulen-Geiss, qualified for state as 7th grade, I believe he plays a lot of regional events.

Other individuals or teams?
ProV1X
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ProV1X » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:46 pm

Region 2 had their first meet yesterday at Edgewood. Sounds like wind chill factor was 12 when they started and never got above 30 until the last couple holes. You have to love spring golf in North Dakota-maybe another could reason to talk about moving it to fall?
Kindred beat Hillsboro CV by 10 shots, so I believe Kindred has won 11 in a row dating back to last year.
Marcus Dale(Sr) MPCG was the medalist, the 2 Reeds(Sr)(Fr) from Hillsboro CV were 2 and 3 and then Henke(Fr), Benson (Sr), Bartels(Fr) and McQuillan(7th) were the next four individual finishers. I was told Kindred had all 6 players in the top 15 finishers. Heinitz(So) from Hillsboro was in the top 10 and Behmer(So) from Carrington as well. If anybody has stats or website where the stats are housed, please share.

I would predict that as the younger players from Oak Grove, Carrington and Central Cass get some more experience and Hillsboro CV is at full strength, the region will tighten up towards mid May.
ProV1X
NDPreps Reserve

Postby golfer1678 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:44 pm

I agree kindred seems to be pretty deep as they usually are I believe that the top 2 teams will kindred and HCV
Kindred- 6 deep have a solid group of young golfers that will improve through out the year
HCV- Not as deep will have to rely on their top 4 to do most of the work
Other teams-Oak Grove and Central Cass will also be in the hunt

As far as the meet at Edgewood on Monday I thought you saw some of Kindreds depth where almost all 6 guys can go pretty low and saw Marcus Dale put together a solid round and expect him to the rest of the year. You saw that if the Reed brothers play well and heinitz can put up a good score HCV can hang. Preston was not at the meet for HCV once he returns I could see HCV and Kindred battling for that 1 spot.

Kindred 352 HCV 362 OG 378.
golfer1678
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Sportsrube » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:44 am

As far as moving golf to the fall I don't think it will happen. The NDHSAA probably doesn't want Boys golf to compete for kids with football. In our area (Region 3) a lot of the golf courses don't want golf in the fall because it takes away golfing time from their members and they don't see as many members out golfing at this time of the year. I would think kids would golf better in the fall because they have been golfing all summer, but that is just my opinion.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ProV1X » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:35 pm

Region 2 had their second meet of the season Friday April 21 at Cottonwood Country Club in Casselton, ND Results were as follows
1) Kindred 335
2) Hillsboro-Central Valley 346
3) Central Cass 354

Top 10 Individuals
Benson-Kindred
Dale-MPCG
A Reed-HCV
M Olson-Kindred
Camas-CC
Boehning-OG
L Reed-HCV
Giermann-CC
Bultema-CC
Bartels-Kindred

Looks like some of the younger teams are improving, the weather was fantastic and Kindred and Hillsboro CV continue to be the teams to beat heading into a real ugly weather week this week.
ProV1X
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ProV1X » Tue May 02, 2017 10:51 am

Does anyone have any results from out west? I have heard that Heart River has been solid with a deep team.
Any other regions of the state have any results to share here?
With the weather issues, Region 2 has only played 2 events and they were a week and a half apart and its been almost 2 weeks since the last event.
ProV1X
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ProV1X » Mon May 08, 2017 11:11 am

Results from Oxbow event May 2. Sounds like they played the new 9 at Oxbow twice, which is long and difficult and very new turf. Hillsboro-CV got the win, breaking Kindred win streak of 12 straight dating back ot 2016.

Hillsboro-CV 330
Kindred 335
Oak Grove 357

Top 10 Individuals
Nick Preston-HCV
Marcus Dale-MPCG
Mark Olson-Kindred
Austin Reed-HCV
Brock Benson-Kindred
Charlie Gerrity-OG
Jacob Heinitz-HCV
Paul Olson-Kindred
Max McQuillan-Kindred
Scott Boehning-OG
ProV1X
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ProV1X » Mon May 08, 2017 11:17 am

Region 2 Individual Qualifier at Mayville Golf Course. I was told the course was in good shape and plays very tight with all the mature trees.
Kindred got back on the winning track with a 2 shot win over Central Cass.

Kindred 323
Central Cass 325
HCV 331

Top 10 Individuals
Jarret Bauer-Carrington 73
Marcus Dale-MPCG 78
Grayson Wetsch-OG 78
Austin Reed-HCV 79
Parker Bartels-Kindred 80
Tate Camas=CC 80
Bryce Giermann-CC 80
Paul Olson-Kindred 80
Landon Reed-HCV 80
Mark Olson-Kindred 81

4 Individuals qualified for state.
ProV1X
NDPreps Reserve

Postby carlspackler » Mon May 08, 2017 1:20 pm

State Qualifier at Prairie West in Mandan, site of the State Class B tournament this year, last Thursday:

Heart River: 311
Beulah: 363
Dickinson Trinity: 400
Hazen: 403

Joey Wagner was the medalist with a 70 with three others tying for 2nd and qualifying for state with 78's (including 2 others from Heart River). Course was in great shape already and should be near perfect by the time state roles around. Whoever takes state is going to need to average 310 or better over the two days as Heart River has gone 302, 304, 306, 309, and 311 in their 5 meets so far with their top 3 golfers finishing in the 70's every time out so far.

I'd keep playing. I don't think the heavy stuffs gonna come down for quite awhile.
carlspackler
NDPreps Rookie

Postby carlspackler » Tue May 09, 2017 8:46 pm

Heart River shoots a blistering 297 in Dickinson today by taking the top 4 spots and placing all 6 golfers in the top 10. Joey Wagner took medalist honors with a 69 followed by Jayden Ewoniuk with a solid 74.

Joey Wagner 69 Heart River
Jayden Ewoniuk 74 Heart River
Trace Jacobsen 77 Heart River
Jett Mattson 77 Heart River
Jase Sailer 77 Beulah
Michael Schmidt 79 Beulah
Matt Tessier 84 Trinity
Matt Zarak 85 Heart River
Jacob Robb 84 Heart River
Peter Pavek 86 Trinity

Heart River looks to improve upon their season low 297 on their home course Thursday at South Heart's Pheasant Country Golf Course.

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consiousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.
carlspackler
NDPreps Rookie

Postby carlspackler » Thu May 11, 2017 10:03 pm

Heart River wins their own invite with a 298 at Pheasant Country Golf Course in South Heart today. Joey Wagner is the medalist with a 68 with 2 more qualifying for state today, Beulah's Jase Sailer and Heart River eighth grader Jacob Robb, the fourth Cougar to qualify individually so far this year. Top scores:

Joey Wagner 68 Heart River
Trace Jacobson 76 Heart River
Jayden Ewoniuk 76 Heart River
Michael Schmidt 77 Beulah
Jacob Robb 78 Heart River
Jase Sailer 78 Beulah
Jett Mattson 80 Heart River

Correct me if I’m wrong, Sandy, but if I kill all the golfers, they’ll lock me up and throw away the key.
carlspackler
NDPreps Rookie

Postby ProV1X » Mon May 15, 2017 8:19 am

Region 2 Individual Qualifier at Crossroads Golf Club in Carrington on Friday May 12. It sounds like the course was in great shape for early May.

Top Individuals
1) Austin Reed-HCV 74
2) Marcus Dale-MPCG 74
3) Parker Bartels-Kindred 77
4) Mark Olson-Kindred 78
5) Scott Boehning-Oak Grove 78
6) Max McQuillan-Kindred 79
7) Brock Benson-Kindred 80
8.) Sam Henke-Kindred 80
9) Nick Preston-HCV 81

Reed and Dale had already qualifed, Bartels, Olson and McQuillan add their names to the qualifying list.

Team Scores
1) Kindred 314
2) Hillsboro-CV 325
3) Oak Grove 333
ProV1X
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ProV1X » Mon May 15, 2017 2:18 pm

Boehing from Oak Grove also qualified for State at this event.
ProV1X
NDPreps Reserve

Postby carlspackler » Tue May 16, 2017 3:05 pm

Region 5 meet in Killdeer on May 15. Trace Jacobsen from Heart River was the medalist, their third different medalist this year. Joey Wagner and Jayden Ewoniuk being the other two to take medalist honors so far this year.

Top Team Scores:

Heart River: 303
Beulah: 323
Dickinson Trinity: 360
Bowman County: 390

Top Individual Scores:

Trace Jacobsen 72 Heart River
Jayden Ewoniuk 74 Heart River
Jase Sailer 74 Beulah
Joey Wagner 76 Heart River
Michael Schmidt 76 Beulah
Tony Kluver 79 Killdeer
Jett Mattson 80 Heart River
Cole Fitterer 81 Dickinson Trinity
Andrew Narum 81 Bowman County

I have to laugh because I've even outsmarted myself. My foe, my enemy, is an animal. In order to conquer him I have to think like an animal and whenever possible to look like one. I've got to get inside this dude's pelt and crawl around for a few days. Who is the gopher's ally? His friend? The harmless squirrel and the friendly rabbit. I'm going to use you guys to do my dirty work for me.
carlspackler
NDPreps Rookie

Postby carlspackler » Sun May 21, 2017 11:04 pm

The Bully Pulpit Golf Course in Medora ruled the day with windy conditions Thursday. Only one golfer, medalist Trace Jacobson from Heart River, carded a state qualifying score of 78.

Top Team scores all qualifying for state:

Heart River 337
Beulah 373
Dickinson Trinity 387

Top 10 individual scores all qualifying for state:

Trace Jacobson 78 Heart River
Joey Wagner 81 Heart River
Gehrig Geiss 84 Western Morton Co
Andrew Narum 87 Bowman Co
Matt Tessier 87 Trinity
Jase Sailer 87 Beulah
Michael Schmidt 88 Beulah
Jett Mattson 89 Heart River
Jacob Robb 89 Heart River
Cole Fitterer 90 Trinity

Now on to state in Mandan at Prairie West Golf Course. The staff has been hard at work getting the Course ready. One of the grounds keepers summed it up like this, keep the ball in play and below the hole :shock: . In other words, the greens will be fast and the rough shaggy. Should be an exciting tournament. Best of luck to all the golfers and teams!

The crowd is just on its feet here. He's a Cinderella boy. Tears in his eyes, I guess, as he lines up this last shot. He's got about 195 yards left, and he's got a, looks like he's got about an 8 iron. This crowd has gone deadly silent... Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters Champion. It looks like a mirac- It's in the hole! It's in the hole!
carlspackler
NDPreps Rookie

Return to Golf