NDPreps The King

Re: 2017 State Tournament

Postby braves84 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:45 am

Any way to watch online?
braves84
NDPreps Reserve

Postby hockeynut » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:36 pm

Congrats to Bismarck and it's 5 high schools on winning yet another state tourney.
hockeynut
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndhockeygal » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:16 pm

hockeynut wrote:Congrats to Bismarck and it's 5 high schools on winning yet another state tourney.

yep. any idea when there will be two teams yet? 28 gals on the team this year and potential for 35 next year.
ndhockeygal
NDPreps Reserve

Postby hockeynut » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:44 pm

ndhockeygal wrote:
hockeynut wrote:Congrats to Bismarck and it's 5 high schools on winning yet another state tourney.

yep. any idea when there will be two teams yet? 28 gals on the team this year and potential for 35 next year.

Feel bad for those 8 girls who can't dress for games. From what I was told during the state tourney is the reason they don't have 2 teams yet is because of lack of ice time. Well they have a new sheet that will be ready this fall so hopefully they will have 2 teams in a year or 2.
hockeynut
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndhockeygal » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:51 pm

agreed. totally has nothing to do with ice time. there are people that refuse to see the fact that they are killing the program and girls hockey by only allowing superstars to play. that's not the idea of HS sports. it should be to allow kids the experience of being on teams. it is sad that there are other HS that refuse to play in the sanctioned HS league due to things like this. makes me sad to see. its pretty sad when the one's that can move up in Bismarck are being told not to bother, as they won't play anyway. my thoughts - sooooo then make two teams. other schools run underclassman and have good years and bad years. The teams from Bismarck, Fargo and GF - need to experience that too. Just my thoughts.
ndhockeygal
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Baller » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:05 pm

Fargo has two teams....North/South really doesn't have enough to split. South had 8 girls on that team and Shanley had 2. North may have enough to field their own team but South/Shanley would not be able to so they need somewhere to play.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby hockeynut » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:58 pm

ndhockeygal wrote:agreed. totally has nothing to do with ice time. there are people that refuse to see the fact that they are killing the program and girls hockey by only allowing superstars to play. that's not the idea of HS sports. it should be to allow kids the experience of being on teams. it is sad that there are other HS that refuse to play in the sanctioned HS league due to things like this. makes me sad to see. its pretty sad when the one's that can move up in Bismarck are being told not to bother, as they won't play anyway. my thoughts - sooooo then make two teams. other schools run underclassman and have good years and bad years. The teams from Bismarck, Fargo and GF - need to experience that too. Just my thoughts.

I coached the Jamestown team from 09'-13'. Last 2 years we had 12 and 11 girls respectively. Finished 5th and 4th at state. We did however get lucky with no injuries or sickness. Again hopefully Bismarck has 2 teams as soon as next season. You
hockeynut
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sportsrube » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:27 pm

I have heard from a parent that has a girl in the program that they do not want to add another team because that would lesson their chances of winning state championships. They said that the powers that be would rather have a better chance of winning state championships than give more girls an opportunity to play HS hockey. This did come from a disgruntled parent so take it for what it's worth.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndhockeygal » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:22 pm

Agree on the rather win championships than let kids play. And I'm not sure how disgruntled that parent may be. More likely you are hearing facts from parents that aren't in the "in" crowd. Believe me, there are more hoping and wanting two teams than not.
ndhockeygal
NDPreps Reserve

Postby hockeynut » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:21 pm

Sportsrube wrote:I have heard from a parent that has a girl in the program that they do not want to add another team because that would lesson their chances of winning state championships. They said that the powers that be would rather have a better chance of winning state championships than give more girls an opportunity to play HS hockey. This did come from a disgruntled parent so take it for what it's worth.

Winning has been priority one in the that town for quite some time now. They could not care less about developing more players and giving more girls a chance to play at the high school level. Ridiculous.
hockeynut
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sportsrube » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:37 pm

ndhockeygal wrote:Agree on the rather win championships than let kids play. And I'm not sure how disgruntled that parent may be. More likely you are hearing facts from parents that aren't in the "in" crowd. Believe me, there are more hoping and wanting two teams than not.

I believe you are right, but the parent that I know was "disgruntled" and you're right, he and his daughter were not in the "in" crowd. I put that disclaimer in my original comment because his thoughts are the only ones I have heard on this situation.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndhockeygal » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:18 am

Well they finally had a "meeting" about two teams. Gave people the "if we split we won't have enough for one team due to the way to do the split". This would be for 1 year with a team with 14 on it and the other with a bunch more. So "might" do it in a year or two. But then are worried about number of goalies in 4-5 years. So they are considering the option of not allowing 9th graders to try out for the team next year - so they can have another super team of 24 or more with no freshman. Told them if they don't split and 9th graders try out - they will be practice squad only and will not play at all. Wow. Seriously? Then got the you "can't play at this level with only 11-14 on a team". Seriously? Have they actually LOOKED at the numbers for the other teams around the state? Heaven forbid - they might actually have to play all the kids that are on the team. Instead of using 11 and the rest having to be the "superstar players" practice squad/punching bag. Totally blown away that Bismarck is this horrible.
ndhockeygal
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Sportsrube » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:38 am

ndhockeygal wrote:Well they finally had a "meeting" about two teams. Gave people the "if we split we won't have enough for one team due to the way to do the split". This would be for 1 year with a team with 14 on it and the other with a bunch more. So "might" do it in a year or two. But then are worried about number of goalies in 4-5 years. So they are considering the option of not allowing 9th graders to try out for the team next year - so they can have another super team of 24 or more with no freshman. Told them if they don't split and 9th graders try out - they will be practice squad only and will not play at all. Wow. Seriously? Then got the you "can't play at this level with only 11-14 on a team". Seriously? Have they actually LOOKED at the numbers for the other teams around the state? Heaven forbid - they might actually have to play all the kids that are on the team. Instead of using 11 and the rest having to be the "superstar players" practice squad/punching bag. Totally blown away that Bismarck is this horrible.

That is really sad. To deprive girls of a chance to play because they are not superstars. As a long time coach (different sport) it is always fun to see what kids can do when given an opportunity. There are a number of players who just need a coach to believe in them and an opportunity to play and grow.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Return to Girls hockey