Class B Trivia

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Class B Trivia

Postby woodchuck10 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:59 pm

Does anyone have some interesting Class B State tournement trivia questions and answers
woodchuck10
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: Class B Trivia

Postby heimer » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:08 pm

Sure:

True or false: Class B basketball is small-town basketball?

Answer: Yes. With Fargo, Minot, and Dickinson in this years field, a great small town atmosphere will be had by all in attendance.
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby senditin » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:57 pm

heimer wrote:Sure:

True or false: Class B basketball is small-town basketball?

Answer: Yes. With Fargo, Minot, and Dickinson in this years field, a great small town atmosphere will be had by all in attendance.

Awesome!!! Lol
senditin
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:03 pm

Last year had Bismarck instead of Fargo and I thought it was one of the highest tournament attendances ever for a B tournament.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby woodchuck10 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:23 pm

A family member had asked me, she needed some good ones for a work thing so if anyone has something I'd appreciate it. Thanks
woodchuck10
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby balla45 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:59 pm

Not trivia but fun fact I guess.

Hanson cousins of Stanley playing in the Dome are first cousins of Beaver Tyler Rudolph.

Ben Bohl and Mason Hedberg of Bishop Ryan both sons of top 10 scorers at MSU in Kevin and Rick.

Vance and Vance are the only father son duo in the tournament.

The Jones twins of Dickinson Trinity are actually triplets.

Is this the type of thing you are looking for?
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:33 am

I don't know the answer to these questions, but how many times as a team ended the season with 1 loss and that game being the state title? or one loss and that game being the region title?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby senditin » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:33 am

How many athletes have played in 4 class B state tourneys?
senditin
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby canoworms » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:12 am

senditin wrote:How many athletes have played in 4 class B state tourneys?

Just a wild guess. Any one of the Four Winds seniors but McKay is most likely.
Could also be Paul Bauer from Kenmare. 63,64,65,66,67 and 68.
canoworms
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:54 am

canoworms wrote:
senditin wrote:How many athletes have played in 4 class B state tourneys?

Just a wild guess. Any one of the Four Winds seniors but McKay is most likely.
Could also be Paul Bauer from Kenmare. 63,64,65,66,67 and 68.

Four Winds didn't make State tournament in 2014...so can't be FW seniors...unless they were 8th graders on varsity in 2013.

MPCG had a string of 4 consecutive tourneys (95-98)
Dickinson Trinity had a string of 7 consecutive tourneys (01-07)
Kenmare (as stated already) has a string of 4 consecutive (44-47) & 6 consecutive (63-68)
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby hoops23 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:10 am

I remember steve redfox playing in the championship game as a 8th grader, thus he has played in 3 championship games and will be playing in his 4th State B tournament
hoops23
NDPreps Rookie

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:14 pm

Flip wrote:I don't know the answer to these questions, but how many times as a team ended the season with 1 loss and that game being the state title? or one loss and that game being the region title?

I think there are more than most people realize. I can think of quite a few off the top of my head.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:48 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:
Flip wrote:I don't know the answer to these questions, but how many times as a team ended the season with 1 loss and that game being the state title? or one loss and that game being the region title?

I think there are more than most people realize. I can think of quite a few off the top of my head.

this season, St.John (regional)
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportsrube » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:21 pm

In the early 1980's, Westhope lost 4 games all season - twice to Newburg in the regular season, once to Newburg in the District Championship and once to Newburg in the Regional Championship. I believe all 4 losses were by single digits and Newburg either won state that year or lost to Linton in the Championship game.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby winner-within » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:35 pm

I was told
but I do not know the Players name (maybe somebody does)....and this sorta combines Class B with class A trivia
but there is a Player on the Minot State Champ team of this year.....he is the son of a Player who played on the 1986 Newburg Class B Champs team....

pretty impressive, Newburg went 3 years in a row to the Title game...

1984: Linton, Newburg, Hillsboro, Glen Ullin, Towner, Lankin-Adams, Beulah, Kindred
1985: Linton, Newburg, Hazen, Karlsruhe, Ellendale, Tolna, Langdon, New England
1986: Newburg, Belfield, Watford City, Hillsboro, Carrington, Langdon, Fargo Oak Grove, Steele-Dawson
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportsrube » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:35 pm

winner-within wrote:I was told
but I do not know the Players name (maybe somebody does)....and this sorta combines Class B with class A trivia
but there is a Player on the Minot State Champ team of this year.....he is the son of a Player who played on the 1986 Newburg Class B Champs team....

1984: Linton, Newburg, Hillsboro, Glen Ullin, Towner, Lankin-Adams, Beulah, Kindred
1986: Newburg, Belfield, Watford City, Hillsboro, Carrington, Langdon, Fargo Oak Grove, Steele-Dawson

His last name is Lamereaux (SP?). His dad was a co-Mr. Basketball with Juno Pintar in the 1st year of the award I believe.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:04 am

Who was the last (I'd say only, but I'm not positive on that one) team to beat 3 undefeated teams at the state tournament to claim a title?
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby OldSchoolBaller » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:07 am

The Schwab wrote:Who was the last (I'd say only, but I'm not positive on that one) team to beat 3 undefeated teams at the state tournament to claim a title?

Isn't this Beulah - 2012
“It’s not the will to win that matters – everyone has that. It’s the will to prepare to win that matters.” - Paul "Bear" Bryant
OldSchoolBaller
NDPreps Reserve

Postby OldSchoolBaller » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:21 am

scc wrote:
OldSchoolBaller wrote:
The Schwab wrote:Who was the last (I'd say only, but I'm not positive on that one) team to beat 3 undefeated teams at the state tournament to claim a title?

Isn't this Beulah - 2012

Not only did Beulah beat three undefeated teams on their way to the state title in 2012, they beat the #3, #2, and #1 ranked teams, in order.

That Championship game had the Alerus Center packed. I don't think I have ever seen that many people in the Alerus. The seating for General Admission to that place is terrible though. Go sit in the corner so if you look straight ahead your looking at the Student Section Bleachers. I hate trying to make football stadiums basketball arenas :x :x
“It’s not the will to win that matters – everyone has that. It’s the will to prepare to win that matters.” - Paul "Bear" Bryant
OldSchoolBaller
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Ball4Him » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:36 am

scc wrote:
OldSchoolBaller wrote:

Isn't this Beulah - 2012

Not only did Beulah beat three undefeated teams on their way to the state title in 2012, they beat the #3, #2, and #1 ranked teams, in order.

I also believe that Beulah had 3 losses that season that was to the 3 teams they beat at state
Ball4Him
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ball4Him » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:05 am

scc wrote:
Ball4Him wrote:
scc wrote:
OldSchoolBaller wrote:

Isn't this Beulah - 2012

I also believe that Beulah had 3 losses that season that was to the 3 teams they beat at state

Beulah lost to North Star by 25, Hazen by 3, and Trinity by 4 in the regular season. At state, they beat #3 Central Cass by 17, #2 Berthold by 4 in OT, and #1 North Star by 2.

hahaha... don't know what I was thinking, my bad :lol: :oops:
Ball4Him
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:15 am

Sportsrube wrote:

His last name is Lamereaux (SP?). His dad was a co-Mr. Basketball with Juno Pintar in the 1st year of the award I believe.

If I didn't know better now, I'd swear that was hockey name .. :D
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby T reporter » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:24 am

Taken from the 2008 state tournament program
Chris Lamoureux, Newburg three game total points 87, in 1985, 11th on the list.
T reporter
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sportsrube » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:35 am

winner-within wrote:
Sportsrube wrote:

If I didn't know better now, I'd swear that was hockey name .. :D

Except the basketball family pronounces it differently than the hockey family :lol:
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Wilbur » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:24 am

Whoever asked the question which teams went into the championship game undefeated and lost. Off the top of my head, Newburg lost to Linton in both 1984 and 1985, Grenora lost to Carrington in 1995, Dickinson Trinity lost to Leeds in 1999, North Star lost to Beulah in 2012. The following are a guess, so someone correct me if they are wrong: Cando in 2001, Mayville-Portland/C-G in 2006, Rugby in 2014.

The teams I can think of that lost their first game in the Region final were LaMoure (Fullerton) in 1975, Glen Ullin (Belfield) and Page (Oak Grove) in 1986, North Star (Carrington) in 2010 and St. John (FW/M) in 2017.

Another question would be how many teams suffered their first loss of the season in the opening round at State. Again, off the top of my head, New Town (Hillsboro) in 1981, Beulah (Hillsboro) and Lankin-Adams (Glen Ullin) in 1984, Glen Ullin (Mayville-Portland) and Dunseith (Leeds) in 1987, Watford City (Munich) in 1992, Litchville-Marion-Montpelier (Minot Bishop Ryan) in 2000, New Rockford-Sheyenne (Dickinson Trinity) in 2004, Pingree-Buchanan-Kensal (Mayville-Portland) in 2006, and Central Cass (Beulah) in 2012.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Next

Return to Boys