Can't recall

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Can't recall

Postby ReadyToPlay » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:48 pm

Grafton used to host some region tournaments back in the 80's and 90's that I attended and I remember players that were game changers for their respective teams and I can remember 2 of the 4. They were Scott Guldseth from Edinburg, Marty McDonald from Munich. Names I can't put a handle are the two great players around that same era, one being from Bisbee-Egeland (he had asthma?), and the other one was from St.John Woodchucks....maybe someone can remember them?
ReadyToPlay
NDPreps Starter

Re: Can't recall

Postby BB11 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:00 pm

ReadyToPlay wrote:Grafton used to host some region tournaments back in the 80's and 90's that I attended and I remember players that were game changers for their respective teams and I can remember 2 of the 4. They were Scott Guldseth from Edinburg, Marty McDonald from Munich. Names I can't put a handle are the two great players around that same era, one being from Bisbee-Egeland (he had asthma?), and the other one was from St.John Woodchucks....maybe someone can remember them?

Ryan Flanagan from Bisbee-Egeland led them to a state title in 89' Don't know if that is who you are talking about or not, but that name pops up 1st in my head.

The gentleman from St. John I am not sure of.
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:28 pm

Grafton hosted the region as late as 2008, maybe even a few years later.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby ReadyToPlay » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:31 am

BB11, Thanks, as Ryan Flanagan was indeed the name I was looking for as the game was never over if Ryan was on the floor. On the Woodchuck player, it has been so long ago to remember names but I still think back to that team that came to a Grafton Region tourney and played fantastic. Maybe someone will come up with some of those players names....And Flip, you are correct that the Regions were held at least until 2008 in Grafton. (I guess the years have flown by so fast, as I still am in the mindset that 1980 was 20 yrs ago and 1990 was 10 yrs ago! I do recall, however, going to basement at 11:59 pm, 1999, with my bottled water and duct tape as the world was going to explode! ) Time does fly when you're having fun!
ReadyToPlay
NDPreps Starter

Postby noles4ever » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:15 am

The St. John player was McGillis, offensive machine!
noles4ever
NDPreps Starter

Postby ReadyToPlay » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:21 am

Thanks noles4ever, yes, I knew someone would remember that great player!
ReadyToPlay
NDPreps Starter

Postby ReadyToPlay » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:54 am

Just google, McGillis St.John Woodchucks for the following clips....

St. John Player Makes Wild Game-Winning Shot - Story | MyNDNow
www.myndnow.com/news/bismarck-news/st-j ... /664010852
Feb 28, 2017 - It was all tied up at 56-56 when Kyler McGillis , a junior for St. John, ... That wild shot kept the St. John Woodchucks undefeated on the season.
Saint John's Basketball Player Makes Incredible Shot - Story
www.myndnow.com/news/minot-news/saint-j ... /664373725
Feb 28, 2017 - Last night, the Saint John boys basketball team made history in more than ... It was the woodchucks ball and what happens next has. to be seen to believe. Kyler McGillis makes the shot three quarters of the length of the court.
ReadyToPlay
NDPreps Starter

Postby OldSchoolBaller » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:12 am

ReadyToPlay wrote:Just google, McGillis St.John Woodchucks for the following clips....

http://www.myndnow.com/news/bismarck-ne ... /664010852
Feb 28, 2017 - It was all tied up at 56-56 when Kyler McGillis , a junior for St. John, ... That wild shot kept the St. John Woodchucks undefeated on the season.
http://www.myndnow.com/news/minot-news/ ... /664373725
Feb 28, 2017 - Last night, the Saint John boys basketball team made history in more than ... It was the woodchucks ball and what happens next has. to be seen to believe. Kyler McGillis makes the shot three quarters of the length of the court.

Except all these clips are from this years buzzer beater and not the McGillis from back in the 80's or 90's.
“It’s not the will to win that matters – everyone has that. It’s the will to prepare to win that matters.” - Paul "Bear" Bryant
OldSchoolBaller
NDPreps Reserve

Postby canoworms » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:51 am

OldSchoolBaller wrote:
ReadyToPlay wrote:Just google, McGillis St.John Woodchucks for the following clips....

http://www.myndnow.com/news/bismarck-ne ... /664010852
http://www.myndnow.com/news/minot-news/ ... /664373725

Except all these clips are from this years buzzer beater and not the McGillis from back in the 80's or 90's.

They didn't have cameras and you tube in the 80"s and 90's
canoworms
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ReadyToPlay » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:58 am

oops, my bad...now that I think about it, they wouldn't have had a cell phone to record back then! Nonetheless, heck of a hail marry and he probably inherited this from the McGillis gene! Now the question would be, "What relation to the older McGillis that I was referring to? These goof around "at practice" shots sometimes come in handy...
ReadyToPlay
NDPreps Starter

Postby noles4ever » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:03 am

Sorry, Roger McGillis, would have played for the Woodchucks in the late 80's, 87, 88.
The guy was a scoring machine.
noles4ever
NDPreps Starter

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:11 am

ReadyToPlay wrote:Names I can't put a handle are the two great players around that same era, one being from Bisbee-Egeland (he had asthma?), and the other one was from St.John Woodchucks....maybe someone can remember them?

Don't think Ryan had asthma. There was another outstanding player from '81, Brent Viger of Edmore, who did have asthma. Guessing this is before the time you are asking about though.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:16 am

noles4ever wrote:Sorry, Roger McGillis, would have played for the Woodchucks in the late 80's, 87, 88.
The guy was a scoring machine.

Yes, it was Roger

one of the most prolific scorer's from the Turtle Mountain area of all time was Kurt Keplin
although Class A (Belcourt)
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby woodchuck10 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:32 pm

Roger is Kyler's uncle. DJ McGillis is Kyler's Dad.

St. John took third or fourth at regionals in 1987 with Roger McGillis. Lost a close game in the semi's to Starkweather who went on to state.
Last edited by woodchuck10 on Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
woodchuck10
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sportsrube » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:57 pm

one of the most prolific scorer's from the Turtle Mountain area of all time was Kurt Keplin
although Class A (Belcourt)[/quote]

Played against Kurt in JH and HS, dude could flat out put the ball in the hoop. I've always wondered how many points he would have scored if there had been a 3 pt line back then. He was a threat to score from the hash marks on in. (For you young pups, BB courts used to have hash marks on each side of half court.)
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby woodchuck10 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:27 pm

woodchuck10 wrote:Roger is Kyler's uncle. DJ McGillis is Kyler's Dad.

St. John took third or fourth at regionals in 1987 with Roger McGillis. Lost a close game in the semi's to Starkweather who went on to state.

I wonder if RunForFun has the results from those district and regional tournaments? :D
woodchuck10
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:34 pm

woodchuck10 wrote:

I wonder if RunForFun has the results from those district and regional tournaments? :D

By this summer, I hope to have a site online with that info
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby woodchuck10 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:39 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
woodchuck10 wrote:

By this summer, I hope to have a site online with that info

Awesome! Looking foreward to it
woodchuck10
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ND Sports Fan » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:09 am

I believe there was a Mattson on that St. John's team in '87 that may have been their best player.
ND Sports Fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby woodchuck10 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:37 pm

ND Sports Fan wrote:I believe there was a Mattson on that St. John's team in '87 that may have been their best player.

I think the starters were
Tony St. Germaine
Robbie Boyer
Roger McGillis
Lance Jay
Pat Patnaudue

The Mattson probably played for Rock Lake
woodchuck10
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Bballisfun » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:58 pm

1987 Regional tourney was incredible for Starkweather. It was capped off with a 90-71 victory over Edinburgh with Scott Guldseth (33 points) battling Steve Nosbusch (39 points) head to head. The Stormkings definitely peaked at just the right time and created an epic Cinderella upset. If that video exists it would be one for the ages to watch...
Bballisfun
NDPreps Rookie

Postby winner-within » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:23 pm

Bballisfun wrote:1987 Regional tourney was incredible for Starkweather. It was capped off with a 90-71 victory over Edinburgh with Scott Guldseth (33 points) battling Steve Nosbusch (39 points) head to head. The Stormkings definitely peaked at just the right time and created an epic Cinderella upset. If that video exists it would be one for the ages to watch...

I had forgotten who had beat Edinburg in 87' that would be a good one to see...
must have propelled Scott to his Senior year and UND greatness.....in the doc "one shining moment"
they make the claim I believe that Scott was maybe the best individual player to ever go thru it...

did Nosbusch play College Ball?
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bballisfun » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:45 am

It was the perfect night for SHS. Steve Nosbusch played for awhile at NDSU-Bottineau if I recall.
Bballisfun
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:39 pm

The "Noz" was a long range sniper. He did go on to become a Lumberjack at Bottineau. He started a long range sniping streak of players for the Lumberjacks which would later include, the "Mylo Flash" Steve Lewis, who then left to take a position as head golf pro at a par-3 miniature putting course in Florida. Also included the "Lefty Launcher" from Bisbee-Egeland, Corey "The Jack" Hagler.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby Bballisfun » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:52 am

Here is that 1987 Region 3 Boys basketball Championship game:

https://youtu.be/EcNyR6JDAos

Starkweather Stormkings vs Edinburg Spartans

Final score: 90-71 Stormkings

Steve Nosbusch - 39 points
Scott Guldseth - 33 points
Last edited by Bballisfun on Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bballisfun
NDPreps Rookie

Next

Return to Boys