Region 4

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Region 4

Postby B-oldtimer » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:14 pm

What are peoples thought on region 4 after we played several games. It appears that Four Winds is the favorite out district 7 and in District 8 ST. Johns and Northstar have gotten off to good starts and Dunseith has been struggling a bit at beginning of the season. Also Rolla has team that could pull couple of upsets. The rest of the teams in both the districts seem to fairly close to equal and on given night might upset one the teams that are in upper tier of this group. I look around eastern part of the state this year and see no dominant teams like we have had in past few years. Four Winds is probably closest thing to this but they are still young team and developing. I think we could see real interesting year and with some of regions with super format we could see some real upsets happening in the tournaments.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: Region 4

Postby ndlionsfan » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:50 pm

I still think it's FWMs region to lose. They are so talented and deep that they will make it hard for anyone to stay with them. St. John has some good wins already, so they are the biggest threat. Maybe Dunseith will come around a bit at tourney time, but they have struggled so far. No one else in Dist 7 will compete with FWM so it will be clear sailing for them to the region semifinals, maybe the championship before they are tested.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Big Blue » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:27 am

I am a little confused by your post ndlionsfan. St. John beat Dunseith by a point. So I wouldn't hold St. John on much higher of a pedestal than Dunseith. The Dragons gave Four Winds-Minnewaukan a decent test earlier in the season. Again, I don't see how they are struggling so bad. I agree Four Winds-Minnewauakn shouldn't have too hard of a time before tournament time, but teams like Dakota Prairie and harvey-wells county are always ready to go come tournament time. I am looking forward to a very interesting Region 4 tournament as I think District 8 is as balanced as its been in some time.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:26 pm

Very fun game in Cando last night. Great atmosphere and fun game to watch. Players, coaches and fans were into it right from the start. Very physical and fast paced game. North Star came away with a win, 65-56. Dunseith is a fun team to watch and lots of talent. The Dragons made some good runs but the Bearcats held them off with some good defensive stops and free throw shooting to hold on. Dunseith will be dangerous come tournament time. Go Bearcats!!!
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby B-oldtimer » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:34 pm

I haven't seen Dunseith play this year just wondering if they have enough to match up against Four Winds. So far I have not seen anybody else that will be able to play with them in Region 4 and still amazes me that Dickinson Trinity beat them. I know in high school basketball anything can happen but Four Winds is such complete team and way they can shoot from outside then cut you up in the middle and then there defense pressure they put on teams is very good. Also they are very deep as a team. I guess if they were shooting poorly and other team could control the boards is how I would imagine they could get beat. Also would have to be patient and use up clock and be efficient at scoring to make previous concept work at beating
them.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:49 pm

Using up the clock would be Key....although they play Thompson sat. in the shootout in GF and Thompson is more of a run team too, but running with four winds could be risky for any team out there....If I remember right Dunseith was rated early in the season then St. John beat them and then they were beat again by Parshall I believe and by the second poll they were not rated nor a HM....but I'm sure they are respectable....I know after watching NS they can be dangerous and turn their game on high speed then slow back down.....NS keeping their lead and holding off a team does not surprise me....they will give FW's all the want come Regions.....but FW is the Fav
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby B-oldtimer » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:03 pm

I have seen both Four winds and Northstar play this year and was expecting them to meet in Devils lake tournament but Larimore soundly defeated Northstar in the tournament and then saw Four winds take apart Larimore. Northstar is very sound team but they don't have size and speed they had in past to play with Fourwinds this year. This years Four winds team play very good defense and have some quickest players I have seen in some time. Also they are very deep again off the bench and they can be physical inside. My opinion it will take team with very good size in front court and deep enough at guard to match up with Four Winds this year. Since the Devils Lake tournament they have been playing at new level but will see how they fair at end of the season they get Thompson and Shiloh to end the season.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:19 pm

anybody see the NS Dunseith game?
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:20 am

with Region 2 already being decided and Mother Nature delaying Region 4 play, the gym will be bulging at the seams (more able to attend) this afternoon in which could literally be a State Championship type game....

Can the Chucks prevail or do the 4 Winds remain blowing?

My prediction is Chucks....just a Gut Feeling from Winner :)
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby EHS1998 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:06 pm

Where can this game be found broadcast online or the radio?
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby NodakQ2 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:22 pm

EHS1998 wrote:Where can this game be found broadcast online or the radio?

No better call than Bigley on KZZY. 103.5 FM

The Spoetscenter is gonna be rockin.....
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby vikingman » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:27 pm

I'm not sure if the class A tourney may bump the Region 4 broadcast, but normally, the Region 4 games would be on these two stations

KZZY: click on the 'listen live' graphic at the left
http://lrradioworks.com/

Langdon radio:
https://network1sports.com/broadcast/today.php?state=ND
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby Bigbrew22 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:41 pm

Does anyone know if region 8 is on radio? Region 6 is khrt
Bigbrew22
NDPreps Starter

Postby woodchuck10 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:11 pm

NodakQ2 wrote:
EHS1998 wrote:Where can this game be found broadcast online or the radio?

No better call than Bigley on KZZY. 103.5 FM

The Spoetscenter is gonna be rockin.....

My personal favorite is Jake Kulland, he will be on 1080 am and online on myborderland.com
woodchuck10
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby EHS1998 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:44 pm

Thanks all! Best of luck to both teams!
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby OldSchoolBaller » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:01 pm

Anyone have a score?
“It’s not the will to win that matters – everyone has that. It’s the will to prepare to win that matters.” - Paul "Bear" Bryant
OldSchoolBaller
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flip » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:19 pm

OldSchoolBaller wrote:Anyone have a score?

42-35 after 3
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:07 pm

They stopped selling tickets at the door...at about 1:30-1:45
gym was full so I didn't get in.....listened to it on 103.5
seemed like the nerves were there in the first half....although their region was like a State tourn this year in the effect of three days in a row vs 1 day wed. break so I think fatigue played a part too

Tronnis showed his strength and take over ability in a big game.....the 4 winds remain blowing and it looks like a rematch Sat. night with HCV coming down the pipe unless Oak Grove flexes its muscles prior.. :)

stay cool 8)
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby B-oldtimer » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:22 am

The game was very entertaining game to watch and basically game came down to last few minutes of first half where Fourwinds got small lead to end the half and then beginning of second half where they came out open up 10 to 12 point lead. The balance of the game from there was St. John would reel them back to within about 4 points then Four winds would open up to 10 points again. ST. John didn't have particular good shooting night and when that happens their inside games struggles. I have over years seen St. John have trouble shooting in Devils Lake and I don't know the reason for it but they have never shot like they have seen them shoot elsewhere. Fourwinds may have something todo with Saturdays game but St. John had quite a few good looks which they usually make and they were off. The funny thing is they start hitting 3 at the very end of the game. Fourwinds is very good team that is deep and knows how to win games. I expect them to do very well in the state tournament. They are not quite as dynamic a team as they were last year but they have talent to wear you down in the game. They play good defense and then they get that run puts them ahead then it so hard to come back against them.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B-oldtimer » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:32 am

I was also going to say St. John would play with anybody in the state and people who saying they haven't played anyone hadn't seen them play and they would have been good representative in state tournament. I wouldn't have been surprised if they were in state tournament they would be back playing Fourwinds in the final game. They had real nice balance with couple of big 6-3 and 6-4 kids inside some real nice smooth guards on the outside.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:17 am

B-oldtimer wrote:I was also going to say St. John would play with anybody in the state and people who saying they haven't played anyone hadn't seen them play and they would have been good representative in state tournament. I wouldn't have been surprised if they were in state tournament they would be back playing Fourwinds in the final game. They had real nice balance with couple of big 6-3 and 6-4 kids inside some real nice smooth guards on the outside.

True Statement here.....leading up to this season St.John should have made it a priority to get FW's on their schedule, anytime you can have a chance to play top teams (and they're in the same region) you have to jump on it.....and maybe the attempt was made Just sayin'...not saying outcome becomes different but the feel of one another now is part of the next meeting..
hats of to the Woodchucks on an undefeated regular season !!
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:50 pm

I saw St.John play once this year and they are real real solid.....the #1 ranking isn't surprising
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby jimor » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:34 pm

I am curious to see how Langdon Edmore-Munich matches up with them tonight
jimor
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:03 pm

jimor wrote:I am curious to see how Langdon Edmore-Munich matches up with them tonight

LEM is a nice team with a good coach......St. John is a true Powerhouse, it would take an off night for St.John to have LEM to stay close IMO
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:06 pm

winner-within wrote:
jimor wrote:I am curious to see how Langdon Edmore-Munich matches up with them tonight

LEM is a nice team with a good coach......St. John is a true Powerhouse, it would take an off night for St.John to have LEM to stay close IMO

Agreed, Chucks by 20 plus
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Next

Return to Boys