Who will replace Nathan chin at Mayville state

No smack talk is allowed here.

Re: Who will replace Nathan chin at Mayville state

Postby cmplx6 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:46 am

Haines will do fine in the future and is doing a good job now. They facilities are drastically improved at Mayville. The whole recruiting North Dakota kids thing is a pointless argument. ND kids don't even want to play college football. They either don't understand the recruiting process or just are not interested in going to college. I have seen it from both sides of the spectrum now. Watch what happens to Mary after this last recruiting class. They offered kids that have no business playing in D2. Mary might have set their program back 4 years with this last recruiting class. Go back and look at how NDSU and UND recruited when they were D2. How many ND kids did they actually sign to money this year? The talent is not in this state for college football. Not to win with anyways.
cmplx6
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:36 pm

What's the scoop with why John Haines will not be back?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby cmplx6 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:19 pm

So what does a coach need to do to win at Mayville? What type of a coach will they hire next. You think they will bring in a coach from outside of the program? Will they promote from within again? Will they hire a local high school coach? Are there any college assistants in the state that may be interested in the Head job at Mayville?
cmplx6
NDPreps Starter

Postby cmplx6 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:41 am

Could this be the next coach at Mayville State?

http://www.wday.com/sports/4169975-farg ... hl-retires
cmplx6
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:44 pm

scc wrote:
cmplx6 wrote:Could this be the next coach at Mayville State?

http://www.wday.com/sports/4169975-farg ... hl-retires

No. He didn't get hired when he was a finalist along with Jody Ford and another guy.

Still can't believe that...one of the most successful ND high school football coaches with ties to the area didn't get a chance to change the culture of that program. Very sad.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby cmplx6 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:36 pm

Does Rod have any college experience? I don't know that Mayville makes decisions for football coaching based off of winning at all. Kelly Jeffrey is now the special teams coordinator for the Toronto Argonautes in the CFL, before that he turned one of the worst college programs in Canada into one of the best.
Jody Ford left on his own accord because he saw the lack of support that the administration was going to give.
Nathan Chin left for the same reasons.
Derek Schlieve was the most successful coach Mayville state may have ever had. And he left on his own accord as well because the administration wasn't willing to tell him at the end of the season if he would have a job the next year. They wanted to wait until June or July to re-up contracts.
John Haines took over the program with 1 week to prepare and finished 2-8 and had to reapply for the job. He then went 5-5, and 4-6. Before Schlieve, 4-6 was the best record since 1990.

These are all good football coaches. The last two were Alumni that would have been happy to retire after coaching Mayville State for 30 years.

The problem is not with the coaches but with the administration. Until The AD and the President are on board to provide support to the football program, Mayville State football will struggle every year.

Administration will be perfectly happy going 0-10 as long as there are 100 players on the roster and they are not causing any trouble. And the coach is not making any requests for anything that requires money.

I would love to see the list of applicants that have applied for this job. It will never be made public of course, but I guarantee there are some highly qualified coaches that have applied for the job, and they won't even get an interview(more than likely because the majority of the interview committee has NO KNOWLEDGE of FOOTBALL). And I can promise that the coach they hire will be the coach that comes with the least amount of demands and can promise to make lemonade with water and dirt to work with.

John Sala was the 3rd finalist after Kelly Jeffrey was let go. He was offered the job and made a couple of requests. He wanted to hire two full-time assistants, which was denied. He wanted a recruiting budget, which they didn't give him. And he wanted more than a one year contract, which was a big no go. So he turned the job down. http://athletics.anderson.edu/coaches.a ... h=football He has had a few successful Head Coaching jobs after turning down Mayville State. He might have been worth a 2-3 year contract.

But remember, the Administration at Mayville State cares nothing about winning. Athletics is a tool to increase enrollment. Once you understand that everything makes sense.
cmplx6
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:11 pm

Most college programs care about money, especially at a small state school like Mayville. You make some very good points, but I disagree with you on certain things. The Comet Athletic Club has a very big hand in some decisions made by the university. Some members of CAC are very upset at some of the character displayed by some members of the athletic programs. People understand that you have to recruit outside of the local area to compete, but it's not an unreasonable request to have 20+ "local" guys (ND, MN, SD) on the roster. They also have to recruit character guys, not just talented football players. The supporters of the CAC don't want to see their money spent on scholarships given to kids who leave after a year or kids who cause problems (believe me, I spent time in Mayville, happens a lot). Also, I know the record looks a lot better. 4-6 is pretty decent for Mayville, but only one of those wins I would consider quality.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby cmplx6 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:37 pm

Schwab I agree with you completely. So who are some coaches that you think would be good choices for this position? People that would be not only good coaches but a good fit for the unique situation at Mayville?

I think there are some talented High School Head Coaches that have Mayville State ties in the state of North Dakota. Brady Schwab of Thompson. Scott Hanson, OC at Cavalier HS. Adam Rowland at Fargo North.

There are some JC coaches in ND and Minnesota that I think would do well at Mayville. Coach Davis at Bottineau I think would do great there. Terry Fawcett at Fond du Lac college. Merle Johnson at College of Science.

Are there any out of area coaches that would even be serious about taking this job?
cmplx6
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:56 pm

I think for a coach to really have a fighting chance to succeed at Mayville it has to be someone who's from the area. A coach who has ties to the football programs in the area. The next head coach at Mayville has to develop strong relations with the local coaches, if they do that, it will help with kids choosing Mayville. A plus would be a local coach who's had some success. The type of kids that Mayville has to recruit would be "preferred walk-ons" at UND and NDSU. Throw scholarship money at them and sell them on being part of resurrection of Comet football. The obvious choice for me is Oksendahl, not that he would give them another chance. The blueprint for success would be hire a coach like Rod. You have to clean house, if those current assistants want to re-apply let them, but the Head Coach has to be surrounded by people he trusts and believes in. They have to hire 2 full-time paid assistant coaches (pay them enough to compete with what they're making teaching and coaching at the high school level). If you do that you could lure away some of the top area high school coaches. Give them 3 year contracts, enough time to lay down the foundation and a good recruiting base. Let Rod work his magic on the program, in a few years he could hand the program over to one of his two FT paid assistants who would keep up what he started.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby cmplx6 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:45 pm

Schwab you are correct again. Over 80% of Mayville State's football roster turns over every season. Problem is that for ND, and MN kids, about 60% of the players on the roster from those two states are there for only one year. So recruiting locally becomes a problem for the coach at Mayville. The talent will not be even close to the the players that can be brought in from out of state, and the players from ND and MN don't stay on the team longer than 1 year. If you look at the rosters online from 2009 to 2016, 20% of the players from 2012 and on from ND stay for longer than 3 years. That is the real problem, keeping the players.

You mentioned having more paid assistants and multi-year contracts. The administration will not do this. Coach Schlieve wanted to get more than one full-time assistant. Currently there is no full-time assistants. There is one that is 50/50 with football coaching and office administration HPER teaching combination. Every other assistant there is a VERY restricted earnings coach or a volunteer. The only full time paid coach is the HC. The administration has made it clear that they are unwilling to provide the type of support that you talked about. The have told every coach on that campus, that they have one year contracts that they will review in the summer. Those two reasons are why Schlieve left. There is zero job security there and zero support.

To be honest, it doesn't matter who the hire if they don't make some serious changes and find a way to have two full time assistants and a multi-year contract for the HC.

I'm not so sure that Rod could coach at the college level. He is a great football mind, but I don't know that he understands the grind involved with coaching college football. And learning that in your 60's or 70's is not a good idea, especially with the lack of support you have a Mayville.

I would love to see Mayville succeed. But again I don't think they can attract any coach that is capable of taking the program to the next level without full-time paid assistants, and no multi-year contract. They will interview some great candidates and get turned down, again, because good coaches that know college football will not take a 1 year contract with ZERO football only full time assistants.

I think your idea of them hiring a local HS coach and giving him the opportunity to hire 2 full-time assistants would work. But they won't give any incoming coach that offer.
cmplx6
NDPreps Starter

Postby cmplx6 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:23 pm

Just heard that Tim Belmore, Offensive Coordinator for the University of Mary interviewed at Mayville yesterday. Can anyone confirm this?
cmplx6
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:12 am

cmplx6 wrote:Just heard that Tim Belmore, Offensive Coordinator for the University of Mary interviewed at Mayville yesterday. Can anyone confirm this?

It was on the Mayville St. facebook page
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Big Blue » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:29 pm

Lot to like about Belmore if you are on the hiring committee. I'm guessing we will hear tomorrow about who has been selected. It is between him, the offensive coordinator from Waldorf and a high school assistant from Georgia I believe. Belmore has to be the favorite. Experience as recruiting coordinator and academic advisor in UND's football program. Those are signs that he knows North Dakota and understands the ins and outs of a football program not just coaching a team on Saturdays. Because if that was the only job, coach haines would still be there.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Big Blue » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:21 am

I have been inspired by this forum to talk a little about MSU football. Do you know what's funny? 15 years go by and we are talking about the exact same things. 15 years ago, Stan Rettew, who was also the athletic director, was not renewed as the head football coach. When they did hire a coach, the local paper ran a story called "Mayville State University hires another loser" It wasn't a scathing piece on Kelly Jeffery on how he was a bad coach or person. Instead, it discussed how unless he had newfound support from the University that hadn't been in the football program it would be next to impossible to run a successful football program. In turn, he would be a loser. That article still has serious relevance at Mayville State University.
Take Kelly Jeffery for example, he tried almost everything to turn that program around. I personally loved his gimmicks that he brought to the table. If it was the 12th man competition held among students on campus giving them a chance to compete for a spot on special teams, buying the opportunity to call a play by winning an auction bid, or bringing in a large bell to ring when they scored touchdowns.
But, he also did things like recruit local and put good coaching staffs together.
(In fact, Jeffery had one of the staffs in program history during his last season. It included quite a few guys who would go on to be head high school coaches (hove, ziegler and roland) and guys that would coach at different universities (lemer, miller and ford). It was a good coaching staff and like cmplx said I don't think coaching has been the problem).
To be honest, Jeffery had an impossible job considering how difficult the DAC was back then. With Division II teams like Minot, Mary, South Dakota Tech and Black hlls state along with Jamestown and Valley City, it was tough sledding.
With the budget and support he had it was nearly impossible to win against that competition.
Like the article stated, because of the resources made available to him Kelly Jeffery became just another loser.
As did Jody Ford and Nathan Chin. Two good guys who were hired because of their knowledge of the Mayville State University football program and willingness to coach without asking for big demands or upgrades.
Like Jeffery, those guys did everything they could to turn it around.
Then came Derek Schlieve. This will sound unfair, but Schlieve benefitted greatly from the DAC going away. Playing an independent schedule, the Comets were able to win four or five and once six games a year. A lot of this was because they played Trinity Bible, haskell and Dakota College of Bottineau.
With that said, Schlieve did a great job as he brought some needed discipline and expectations to the program.
After he left mid-summer, MSU had to hire someone quick. John haines stepped in under terrible circumstances late July/ early August. You had to feel for the guy. Overall, haines did a nice job putting a competitive product on the field. Man, specifically this year this year there was a lot of talent out there.
My main issue with the coach was recruiting philosophy. It was difficult to hear him talk on the Comet Coaches show on the radio about how he had the weather map philosophy and how the program was going to recruit the best out of North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota and Montana. Only in February to find that the signing classes featured nearly no players from these states. Unlike coaches before him, haines put little if no effort to get regional athletes.
Now, we find ourselves in the same position. I want you to be clear I am not saying the administration is awful and to blame.
It's simple, MSU doesn't have much money. In fact, the football program is a major reason the college is staying a float at all (with high program numbers leading to big enrollment increased). But it costs a lot of money to run a football program and MSU is willing to invest what it is willing to invest. Expectations aren't high out of the football program, right now university officials are looking for continued enrollment numbers, players to stay out of trouble and recruit local kids. The problem has always been is that head coaches typically want to win and when that isn't a top priority from the top it is almost impossible to be successful in the record books.
Yet, the carousel goes round. I think the football program is in the best shape that it has ever been for someone to step into (a good salary, improved facilities and a very average conference) I do think is possible for the next coach to be successful. But it won't be easy if everything else remains the same. So hopefully Mayville Stae isn't hiring another loser. Only time will tell.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Big Blue » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:44 pm

Sean Thom, current assistant coach at North Forsyth high school in Georgia, has been named head coach of the Comets. Thom is a former player at NDSU. Baseball player that is. Looks like he was a GA for two years at Faulkner University and also spent a year has a high school head coach.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:12 pm

I'm curious what resources does VCSU have over MSU?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Big Blue » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:42 pm

Flip wrote:I'm curious what resources does VCSU have over MSU?

To be honest, on the surface not that much. While I do believe valley city is able to offer a little bit more scholarship money for local players, higher salaries for coaches and has superior facilities, they aren't the biggest advantage.
I am not sure if you consider this a resource or not, but I would say tradition and stability. Coach McCulloch and coach horner have been there for 20 years. The consistency and success they have brought to vcsu, attracts top talent in the state.
Another advantage they have is their coaching tree. McCulloch has coached hundreds of players who are no high school coaches and they are able to use those connections to bring in recruits from region due to that.
Mayville State University could also use this but they have not. A main reason for that is the coaching turnover and lack of a tradition in the program.
I would hope that coaches would be in regular contact with msu graduates like Dave Smith, Brady Schwab, Mike Zier, Matt hove, Kevin Clausen, Steven Elkins and Amos Condley who coaches in from 9-man to Triple A in North Dakota. But it hasn't happened.
Once they have a little more stability and established coaching staff, I hope this will happen.
So, no vcsu doesn't have a huge advantage as far as money probably goes. But, it would be a much better job to step into than Mayville State University.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby cmplx6 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:46 pm

How could this Coach Thom have been the most qualified applicant? I find that very hard to believe. I would love to see the resumes of those that applied. I think this hire is an excellent example of the incompetence of the administration at Mayville State University. If they wanted someone to excel at local recruiting why would they hire someone with no local recruiting ties? This coach has the minimum college experience you could have. And looking at the records of the schools he has been with, what culture of winning is he going to bring? The best record of the schools he as coaches at was 4-8?
cmplx6
NDPreps Starter

Postby Big Blue » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:25 pm

It's simple cmplx6, they continue to search for the football program's Tim Miles. The main problem with this is that football is not basketball where you play seven guys a night and have one assistant coach. Much more worrying than his record is where he is from. With his background, there is no way he knows the recruiting scene in eastern north Dakota, the state or the four state region. After all, one of the biggest hits on Haines is that he didn't go after local kids. I wish coach Thom good luck. I'm sure he is a good interview, a nice guy and a solid young coach. IMO, the odds are stacked against him.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Big Blue » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:12 pm

I have gotten word that coach Thom has hired an offensive coordinator and defensive coordinator. From what I have heard, Rod Oksendahl has been named the new offensive coordinator at Mayville State Unviersity. The defensive coordinator was a defensive backs coach from Buena Vista.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby cmplx6 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:21 am

Well Rod Oksendahl should help with the local recruiting. He has experience recruiting at Fargo Shanley. Have all the assistants at Mayville been let go? I wonder how many of the current football players will return and how many will transfer out, or not play football next season?
cmplx6
NDPreps Starter

Postby Big Blue » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:29 pm

Only a position coach (Anton Anderson) and a GA (Jake McSpadden) have been retained on staff. I would guess less than 30 players remain (and many of those may be redshirts and didn't play last season) in the program. This is the first true rebuilding of the program in many years. I think it's a good idea. Will it be successful? Only God knows that.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Big Blue » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:07 pm

Sean Thom has resigned as head coach at MSU to pursue other opportunities.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The Schwab » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:14 am

As a Mayville State grad I really hope they find someone in-state to lead this program. There are a lot of challenges about coaching/recruiting in Mayville and it takes someone with local knowledge IMO.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Big Blue » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:36 pm

I agree. I tend to believe a local/statewide high school coach has the best chance to really grow something. The tough part is not a lot of those type of guys come to mind. Anyone you think would be a good fit Schwab?
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

PreviousNext

Return to North Dakota's Universities and Colleges