EEK VS Past State Champions

The teams in Class A

EEK VS Past State Champions

Postby BorderLover » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:08 am

Idk if I was the on only one who saw this, but I thought the talent level for teams was really down this year. It is nothing against EEK winning state, but almost zero rushing yards for des lacs in the state championship game, seriously? I've been watching class A for a long time and I think the past teams were just more solid. Is class A getting soft?
BorderLover
NDPreps Rookie

Re: EEK VS Past State Champions

Postby magic man » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:56 pm

How many rushing yards did EEK have?
magic man
NDPreps Starter

Postby d_fense » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:20 pm

magic man wrote:How many rushing yards did EEK have?

I'm not sure how many yards they had as a team. But, I believe their tailback had 346 or 348 yards.

I don't think Class A was really down this year in the east. EEK's team wasn't as strong as PRFL last year, but better than PRFL from 2014.

I think what was disappointing was that DLB was so poor rushing the ball. Face it, what people typically think makes a strong team is the ability to push another team around. When DLB did try to rush the ball, they had almost no success against a team that didn't even pretend to respect the run. And looking at season stats, they didn't have success throughout the year.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby GoTheDistance » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:02 pm

Grueneich had 343 yards so close enough (which was only 20+ yards from the DB record).
I am going to go with defense being a big part of DLBs lack of rushing yards. They still had impressive passing #s. EEK also held most teams to a reasonable rushing yard total (with the exception of a couple games). They were disciplined and fundamentally strong IMO (including their O line & blockers down field). Being from one of those schools, I am admittedly bias, but that's my opinion.
GoTheDistance
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bball4 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:33 pm

The east was not down. Larimore, Langdon & EEK were all impressive. Larimore vs. EEK would have been a good bowl game.
bball4
NDPreps Starter

Postby EHS1998 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:55 pm

GoTheDistance wrote:Grueneich had 343 yards so close enough (which was only 20+ yards from the DB record).
I am going to go with defense being a big part of DLBs lack of rushing yards. They still had impressive passing #s. EEK also held most teams to a reasonable rushing yard total (with the exception of a couple games). They were disciplined and fundamentally strong IMO (including their O line & blockers down field). Being from one of those schools, I am admittedly bias, but that's my opinion.

You nailed it! Well stated! I know you know this GTD but Grueneich would have easily gotten the record if they didn't have more important things to worry about (getting Bruns in the game was one of the classiest things I've seen on a HS field). Cool thing is Clayton was probably the least concerned about the record.

I personally think this entire topic is laughable. Do we have a similar topic if Larimore runs the table and wins it all? This feels like passive aggressive nonsense. EEK was dominant in the Championship game in large part because they were battle hardened from beating the 2 time defending champs, then the #1and #2 ranked teams on the road. As hard of a road as you will find any year. Yet, because they dominated their opponent in the championship, you are going to question how good they are compared to other years?
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:46 pm

EHS1998 wrote:
GoTheDistance wrote:Grueneich had 343 yards so close enough (which was only 20+ yards from the DB record).

You nailed it! Well stated! I know you know this GTD but Grueneich would have easily gotten the record if they didn't have more important things to worry about (getting Bruns in the game was one of the classiest things I've seen on a HS field). Cool thing is Clayton was probably the least concerned about the record.

I personally think this entire topic is laughable. Do we have a similar topic if Larimore runs the table and wins it all? This feels like passive aggressive nonsense. EEK was dominant in the Championship game in large part because they were battle hardened from beating the 2 time defending champs, then the #1and #2 ranked teams on the road. As hard of a road as you will find any year. Yet, because they dominated their opponent in the championship, you are going to question how good they are compared to other years?

Nothing against DLB but title game may have been two weeks prior to the Championship (at Larimore).
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby BorderLover » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:04 pm

I personally think the past four state champs could beat EEK by 2 tds+. Both Hazen and Park River had more solid teams up and down the board. They play against any one of those four teams they don't get anywhere close to that 300 yards rushing.
BorderLover
NDPreps Rookie

Postby EHS1998 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:35 pm

BorderLover wrote:I personally think the past four state champs could beat EEK by 2 tds+. Both Hazen and Park River had more solid teams up and down the board. They play against any one of those four teams they don't get anywhere close to that 300 yards rushing.

That's a really nice opinion. I'll be waiting for any factual evidence you care to share to back it up.

I highly doubt you are making the same statement if Larimore went undefeated and won it all.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby d_fense » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:04 pm

I hope I wasn't taken wrong with my post. EEK is a strong and deserving champion. When I said I don't think they would beat last years PRFL team, it isn't an insult. I think that team would have won AA if they were in that division last year. I don't know if DLB was a good representation of the west this year or not. If they are, I would say the the west was down. I feel the east, if anything was better this year than most years.

This years EEK team would consistently beat the PRFL team from 2014. That 2014 PRFL team was very lucky to beat Oaks that year. That was a much bigger upset than this years EEK vs Larimore game. The number of talented players that PRFL returned from 14 to 15 was huge. Combining that year of maturity with the hard work those boys put in is what accounted for such a large difference between the 14 and 15 PRFL teams. Historically this years champions would compare just fine with the other champions.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby BorderLover » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:49 pm

EHS1998 wrote:
BorderLover wrote:I personally think the past four state champs could beat EEK by 2 tds+. Both Hazen and Park River had more solid teams up and down the board. They play against any one of those four teams they don't get anywhere close to that 300 yards rushing.

That's a really nice opinion. I'll be waiting for any factual evidence you care to share to back it up.

I highly doubt you are making the same statement if Larimore went undefeated and won it all.

Larimore should have won that game, but EEK won and I'll give that to them. Great win. PR also beat that nearly identical larimore team by 35-40 the year before.
BorderLover
NDPreps Rookie

Postby EHS1998 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:07 am

BorderLover wrote:
EHS1998 wrote:

Larimore should have won that game, but EEK won and I'll give that to them. Great win. PR also beat that nearly identical larimore team by 35-40 the year before.

d_fense - Totally understand where you are coming from. No worries at all.

BorderLover - With all due respect, EEK doesn't need you or anyone else to GIVE them anything. They already earned it on the field. I'll let you live in would of could of land while the rest of us live in the reality of EEK being State Champions, which your opinion will never change.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby bball4 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:08 am

D_fense, there is no insult in pointing out a superior championship team. Totally get that & agree.

Comments like "Larimore should have won." Are pointless as well as a suggestion that the past 4 champions could have beat EEK. There is nothing to support that claim.... and a win is a win. Fair and square.

EEK had a tough road to that game. They earned every single yard and traveled a ton of miles. Beating the top east teams to get there and with a balanced team, won it all. Can't you just let them have that? It's one thing to point out superior champions but it is unnecessary to make claims about a team being subpar compared to others. Some opinions might be better kept to yourself but that's just my opinion .
bball4
NDPreps Starter

Return to A