Jamestown College

No smack talk is allowed here.

Re: Jamestown College

Postby Baller » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:34 am

EDC wrote:Jimmie women 5th in latest NAIA coaches poll. I would guess this is the highest Jamestown women have ever been rated. Jamestown vs Valley women tomorrow at Valley. Valley is coming on and it will be a good test and measuring stick for both teams.

Think about how good they will be next year with Varriano and Doubek back and the freshman having some great experience.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Willy » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:36 am

The baseball team has kids from all over the U.S. and Canada but has had success lately with ND grown kids. Steve Hirchert from Fargo and Alex Kreis from Grand Forks will be two of Jamestown's top pitchers this season. Jeremy Burgard from Dickinson just graduated and was a standout at Jamestown.
Willy
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Willy » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:40 pm

Jimmies beat UND in both volleyball and baseball last year, quite an accomplishment for an NAIA school with 1000 students. Good job Jimmies!
Willy
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby cubsfan » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:58 pm

UND is not very strong baseball program. They would struggle to be a top three team in the DAC.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Willy » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:04 pm

Could explain the 10 run rule thumping.
Willy
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:41 pm

Bud Etzold knew it was time.

Not for anything that happened last season or the previous year. After 30-plus years of coaching football, the stresses and rigors of the heading up a college football program, "accumulated."

So on Tuesday, Etzold, who went 43-45 in two stints as Jamestown College's football coach, stepped away from the sideline - this time almost certainly for good.

"There comes a time in life as a coach where the lows outweigh the highs and the losses are tougher to deal with than the excitement of winning," he said. "You do something you love for as long as I've done it and it's tough to come to the realization that it is time to move on. But I'm at that point in my life and I'm ready to move on to something else."

Etzold's 43 wins are the third-most of any coach in program history. Only Rollie Greeno (154) and E.J. Cassell (65) had more. He led the Jimmies from 1995-1999, then returned in 2008 to guide the Jimmies for four more seasons.

Etzold, who turns 60 years old in a couple months led the program to two of its greatest seasons. In 1997, the Jimmies advanced all the way to the NAIA quarterfinals. In that season, they defeated powerhouses Sioux Falls and Carroll College in consecutive weeks. In 1998, the Jimmies climbed all the way to No. 1 in the poll and finished 8-2.

"I've had the great fortune of working with a lot of outstanding coaches and great student-athletes in my career, and that truly is why we do this," said the always personable Etzold.

Jamestown College athletic director Lawrie Paulson said Etzold's contributions are undisputed.

"Every decision Bud made relative to the football program was based upon what he thought was in the best interests of Jamestown College and our students," Paulson said. "Bud did all he could to win every game, but his commitment to his team went way beyond Saturday afternoons. He wanted everyone in his program to be successful in life. Ultimately, that's what we are here to do."

The search for a replacement is already underway. Shawn Frank, who has been on staff for 10 seasons, is a candidate for the position.

Right now is a critical time in recruiting, but they also have to make the best decision possible.

"There is a sense of urgency to retain someone quickly, but the overwhelming factor, whether it takes a day, a month or a month and a half, is that we find someone that will do things the way we want it to be done," Paulson said. "It has to be the right fit, both for the college and for the person that is ultimately hired."

Whoever gets the job has some obstacles to clear. The Jimmies currently do not have a conference and finding 10 games to fill out the schedule was one of many challenges that had worn on Etzold. But the 1978 Dickinson State graduate said the decision was solely his.

"Nobody's job is perfect and there are always things that you wish were different, but that's not the impetus behind this at all," Etzold said. "This is a big job, and it takes someone with not only the knowledge and the understanding of what it takes to be successful, but the energy to make it happen."

Don't be surprised to see the former coach at Rollie Greeno Field on Saturdays. He's staying in Jamestown and will be selling cars at RM Stoudt in the near future.

"I have great affection for that college. I truly loved my time there," he said. "The difference now on Saturday mornings is that I'll be able to go play 18 holes of golf then go to the game, sit in the stands and complain about the officiating like everybody else. ... There won't be any bigger Jimmie fan than me."
Courtesy of Dave Selvig, Jamestown Sun
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:26 pm

Jamestown News
Jamestown College Names Head Football Coach
Mon, Jan 9, 2012 - [Football]
Shawn Frank has been named Head Football Coach of Jamestown College.

Jamestown College President Robert S. Badal and Athletic Director Lawrie Paulson on Monday announced Shawn Frank has been named the Jimmies' head football coach.

"It is truly an honor to serve Jamestown College in this capacity," Frank says. "I am excited for the opportunity to continue the tradition that has been established with Jimmie football, while, at the same time, creating new trails to embark upon."

Frank joined the Jimmie staff in 2003 and most recently served as defensive coordinator and recruiting coordinator. Under his guidance, the Jimmie secondary has become one of the top units in the conference. He has coached 10 All-Conference players and two AFCA first team All-Americans in the last five years.

"Coach Frank has demonstrated the passion, ability, and leadership that is necessary to be a head football coach at the collegiate level," Paulson says. "Just as importantly, Shawn has a passion for Jamestown College, our mission, and our students. He has the support of the staff and the administration, and I believe he will do an excellent job."

Frank says recruiting is a priority at this time.

"We want to be clear that each recruit we were in contact with before the transition, is as important to us now, now that the transition is complete," he says. "There are lots of young men who are great fits for us academically and athletically, and our hope is certainly to have some of those signed in the coming weeks. We have two big recruiting weekends coming up and are excited about getting these young men on campus."

Prior to coming to Jamestown College, Frank spent 10 years coaching high school football in his hometown of Hettinger, N.D., compiling a 49-32 record. Hettinger's six state playoff berths during that time were highlighted by the 2000 Region IV title and two regional runner-up finishes. Frank coached 17 All-State selections and saw many former players continue their careers in the college ranks. Frank also served as Athletic Director for Hettinger Public Schools in 2000 and has served as an assistant coach for the North Dakota Shrine Bowl.

He earned his bachelor's degree in physical education at the University of Mary, where he began his coaching career as the running back coach in 1992. He was a two-time All-NDCAC first-team selection as a defensive back. He and his wife, Lori, have two daughters.

Frank succeeds Bud Etzold, who resigned after serving as head coach from 2008 to 2011 and previously from 1995 to 1999.

Established in 1883, Jamestown College is a private, liberal arts four-year college granting bachelor of arts, bachelor of science, and bachelor of science in nursing degrees as well as master's degrees in education. Jamestown College offers more than 40 areas of study. For the fifth consecutive year, Jamestown College is the highest ranked Top Tier college in North Dakota as ranked by U.S. News & World Report. Jamestown College has also been named a Best Midwestern College by the Princeton Review and one of America's 100 Best College Buys by Institutional Research & Evaluation, Inc.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby hockeynut » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:09 pm

Puck drops in 2 weeks. So looking forward to this. I really think they will be competitive right out of the gate. At least I'm hoping that.
hockeynut
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby hockeynut » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:06 am

Tryouts for the men's hockey team started yesterday at the Wilson Arena here in Jamestown. Going to have to check them out when I get a chance. From what I understand there are around 40 players that will be participating.
hockeynut
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby hockeynut » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:55 pm

Jimmies kick the crap out of Concordia today. Did not see that coming. First win against the Cobbers since 1926
hockeynut
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby hockeynut » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:47 pm

Jimmies lose to Manitoba 6-0 tonight in their first ever game.
hockeynut
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby hockeynut » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:08 pm

Jimmies lose once again to Manitoba 9-0 Saturday night. Now NDSU comes to town next weekend. Much more their competition.
hockeynut
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby hockeynut » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:02 am

Jimmies took it to NDSU last night at Wilson Arena 8-1. After the first 10 minutes of the game is was all Jimmies. First goal was when the Jimnies were 2 men down and they got their second one while one man down. Huge crowd for their first ever game at home. Play again tonight at 7.
hockeynut
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby hockeynut » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:10 pm

Jimmies win again tonight 6-3. Now the real season starts with Midland in town next weekend followed by Utah.
hockeynut
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby go maji » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:10 am

Good luck this year.
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby hockeynut » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:35 pm

go maji wrote:Good luck this year.

Thanks. Really looking forward to the games with Minot St. Good luck to you too.
hockeynut
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby hockeynut » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:40 pm

Jimmies win their first regular season game at home tonight 4-3 over Midland. Penalty filled physical game. Go for the sweep tomorrow night.
hockeynut
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby hockeynut » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:35 pm

Jimmies lose in a shootout to Midland 3-2. Another penalty filled game. Utah comes to town next weekend.
hockeynut
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby hockeynut » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:56 pm

Jimmies over Utah at home last night 4-1.
hockeynut
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby hockeynut » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:56 pm

Jimmies outshoot Utah tonight 43-29 and win 2-1. Now 3-1 on the year.
hockeynut
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby hockeynut » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:59 pm

Minot St defeats the Jimmies in Minot 5-3. Teams play each other again tomorrow night in Jamestown. Looking forward to it. Jimmie homecoming week so Wilson Atena should be rocking.
hockeynut
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby hockeynut » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:06 pm

Jimmies were to go to Midland for a 2 game series this weekend but apparently they were having ice issues. Series postponed to a later date.
hockeynut
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby go maji » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:03 pm

Congrats to Jamestown for beating Ohio. Minot moves up to #1 because of it. :D
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby hockeynut » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:55 pm

go maji wrote:Congrats to Jamestown for beating Ohio. Minot moves up to #1 because of it. :D

Ranked #25 in the last poll. Swept NDSU this weekend 10-0 and 9-1.

Congrats to Minot. Going to love this rivalry between our 2 teams.
hockeynut
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby hockeynut » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:47 pm

Split with Williston St this weekend with identical 4-3 scores. Moved all the way up to number 6 in recent poll. Minot St once again this coming weekend.
hockeynut
NDPreps All-Conference

PreviousNext

Return to North Dakota's Universities and Colleges