Cavalier vs Thompson

The teams in 9 Man

Cavalier vs Thompson

Postby steel » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:55 am

Any thoughts, predictions, insights on this game. Many people think these are the two best teams in the state, with apologies to a few teams. I see Thompson has the homefield and has been destroying people so I am sure they have to be favored. Cavalier had a really tough game at St. Johns where Thompson pretty much had there way with North Star last week. Thompson was the team that broke the Tornadoes long win streak last year, maybe they have their number. I think Thompson is pretty senior dominated and has athletes all over and speed galore where Cavalier likes to pass it around quite a bit more so than in the past. For Cavalier to have a chance, I think they have to win the turnover battle and keep Thompson's offense off the field(good luck)
steel
NDPreps Starter

Re: Cavalier vs Thompson

Postby bulldog_power » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:02 pm

Think that is a fair statement. Thompson is clearly The best team in the state. Unless they are beating themselves I don't think anyone gets within 3 scores of them. Some teams may keep pace early in games, but with their size and speed it's only a matter of time before they break it open
bulldog_power
NDPreps Starter

Postby bounce_32 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:02 am

Thompson is the "Best Team in the STATE"??? I didn't know that game had been played yet. Cavalier and Thompson will actually match up well. Both teams have weapons for sure. Thompson has to put this game away early or they will be in trouble. Cavalier has a group of young kids that have nothing to lose and they DO NOT give up. They are coached very well and are conditioned the way a football team should be. It is going to be a exceptional game to watch. I will say that this could be the game that DETERMINES the best team in the state!!
Talent is never enough, it's usually the hardest workers that come out on top!
bounce_32
NDPreps Reserve

Postby cmplx6 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:53 am

Didn't everyone say about the same thing last year about Cavalier and Thompson? This game was going to determine who played in the state title. The winner was the #1 team in the state. And neither team made it to the State Championship game. I wouldn't be so quick to anoint either team just yet. Nobody thought Richland would be the State Title winner last year, until the bounced both Cavalier and Thompson out of the playoffs. And I think North Prairie would have beaten both Thompson and Cavalier last year.

Don't get me wrong, both are talented teams, but Region 1 has a big game this week, and if Richland wins big, they will be in the conversation again. Shiloh is still undefeated as is North Prairie. New Rockford is playing hard and could upset either of these two in Region 2 play.

Region 3 could have a sleeper team or two in Napoleon and South Border that could upset Cavalier or Thompson.

Region 5 has two maybe three teams that could compete with Thompson or Cavalier in the State Title game.

And in Region 6 MLS has the best lineman in the state and a tough ground game and Kenmare has an offense that can be as explosive as anyone's in the state.

Bottom line is that this is a huge game. I think it will be very close. I think Thompson has the best player in the state. I think Cavalier is a more balanced team and deeper when it comes to talent. I think Cavalier has more weapons on offense and a better defense. I will give the edge to Cavalier this year.
cmplx6
NDPreps Starter

Postby UNDSiouxfan » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:36 am

Great points made cmplx6, no team should be anointed quite yet...

Region 1 is a huge game this weekend. Richland at Hankinson will determine the front runner and Wyndmere-Lidgerwood will be in the running also. I believe W-L is the most explosive team in Region 1, but Hankinson has the best defense in the Region - and one of the top D's in the state.

Hankinson also has Cody Mauch. I'd have him on my team over anyone in the state right now. You won't find a better set of hands for a big guy, and he dominates on the D Line with a great supporting cast around him. The Pirates are not huge but they are fast and they tackle well.

I still predict Region 1 will finish Hankinson 1st, W-L 2nd, & then Richland 3rd for 2016.
UNDSiouxfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby steel » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:13 pm

I agree with a lot of other points to some extent. Richland had the best team last year regardless of the polls. I think Thompson or Cavalier would have beaten North Prairie. Richland probably played their worst game of the year in the finals(loads of turnovers, many of which were unforced) and still won. This year, I think there are lots of teams that could win state. I think the Thompson-Cavalier game will be decided on the line, which often happens when you get 2 teams that have multiple skill player standouts. Thompson has been everyone's pick to win it this year, but nothing is decided on paper or on this site but it makes for good reading and fun. Most of us on this site, are old out of shape has beens or never weres like myself who just enjoy talking about football. Good luck to all the teams and stay injury-free.
Last edited by steel on Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
steel
NDPreps Starter

Postby bounce_32 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:20 pm

For the record I did state that this "COULD BE" the game that determines best team. cmplx6, I have to agree with what you are saying. Lot's of great talent out there that I'm not fully aware of.
Talent is never enough, it's usually the hardest workers that come out on top!
bounce_32
NDPreps Reserve

Postby classB4ever » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:07 pm

Have watched mainly Region 2 games this year. I don't think this one will be close. Cavalier has good skill positions. Their line is strong, get low pad levels but are young. Their qb is a good one, who passes and runs well. What they don't have as in years past is the depth. They cannot afford many injuries in order to make a run in the final stretch. On the flip side, Thompson has 30+ kids on their roster. And though it's tough to debate quantity vs. quality, Thompson has both. They have very good team speed at all positions and their db's will take away Cavalier's ability to throw the ball with single man coverage, leaving their linebackers to shadow the QB running the ball. Another thing that good numbers allow you is developing good special teams, and Thompson has that as well. IMHO, close through 1-2 quarters and Thompson pulls away like they have with every team.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby steel » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:32 pm

Excellent post, I agree about not having as much depth and not being able to afford any key injuries like Thompson probably could with their numbers. I don't know about taking away their passing game with single man coverage and their LBs are going to have their hands full trying to tackle Cavalier's QB. Thompson has excellent special teams but I am quite sure Cavalier will be playing to win and their horses will be on special teams this week as well. I think it hurts Thompson having not played in a tough game, no fault of their own though. Maybe nobody will give them one though. I honestly believe Cavalier is probably a year away, but don't tell that to a program with the history and tradition of the Tornadoes. There won't be any fear factor because these teams know each other well and past games have been very physical. I heard there is a good chance of rain on Friday so ball security may play a big factor.
steel
NDPreps Starter

Postby heimer » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:52 am

Game will be broadcast on KNOX AM 1310.
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby airmail » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:27 pm

Thompson wins 28-6.
airmail
NDPreps Starter

Postby steel » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:22 am

I am a Tornado fan, but Thompson totally dominated the line of scrimmage. I felt a little sorry for Cavalier's QB he never had a chance most plays but he's a really tough kid who got the tar beat out of him. Cavalier's receivers didn't do him any favors. I counted 3 dropped TD passes. Thompson ran power right down their throats all night. Very impressed with Diedrich, best running back I have seen all year by a wide margin. Cavalier didn't have a couple of their playmakers on offense due to injury but it wouldn't have made a difference if the line doesn't show up. The state championship definitely goes through Thompson this year.
steel
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:00 am

steel wrote:I am a Tornado fan, but Thompson totally dominated the line of scrimmage. I felt a little sorry for Cavalier's QB he never had a chance most plays but he's a really tough kid who got the tar beat out of him. Cavalier's receivers didn't do him any favors. I counted 3 dropped TD passes. Thompson ran power right down their throats all night. Very impressed with Diedrich, best running back I have seen all year by a wide margin. Cavalier didn't have a couple of their playmakers on offense due to injury but it wouldn't have made a difference if the line doesn't show up. The state championship definitely goes through Thompson this year.

your a Tornado fan??...
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Return to 9 - Man