2016 Shrine Game

The teams in 9 Man

2016 Shrine Game

Postby Footballfan15 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:01 pm

Does anybody know the lineups for this game or when will they come out? If they aren't out yet what are some predictions on who will be in it?
Footballfan15
NDPreps Reserve

Re: 2016 Shrine Game

Postby Howie » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:22 pm

First off, let me start by saying that I think what the Shriners do for our communities is First Class. I do have a problem with the selection process. Why are we inviting MN kids to the North Dakota Shrine Game when we have a First Team All State senior (who has had no training violations, is involved in a lot of community service organizations and is a good student) not even receive an invite?!?! You can't tell me that there are 24 more deserving kids in North Dakota, let alone just in the West. Ridiculous
Howie
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportsphenom » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:33 pm

Howie wrote:First off, let me start by saying that I think what the Shriners do for our communities is First Class. I do have a problem with the selection process. Why are we inviting MN kids to the North Dakota Shrine Game when we have a First Team All State senior (who has had no training violations, is involved in a lot of community service organizations and is a good student) not even receive an invite?!?! You can't tell me that there are 24 more deserving kids in North Dakota, let alone just in the West. Ridiculous

From what I understand it is up to the coaches to nominate kids. I only know this because I once had a boy who was nominated. If this kid was indeed nominated by his coaches then yes there is something wrong with his not receiving an invite.
sportsphenom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby cmplx6 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:56 pm

Yes the coaches nominate their own players. From what I understand there are a good number of coaches that do nominate players. So if you think there is a player that isn't nominated then you should talk to his coach. But the nominations have already been sent in, and the invites sent out to the kids, so its a little late now.
cmplx6
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Wed May 18, 2016 10:07 am

The shrine rosters are now out. It is absolutely RIDICULOUS that Brandon Pierce isn't on the 9 man west roster. I don't even know how this happened. It has to be a joke.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby sportsnut5 » Wed May 18, 2016 3:11 pm

I guess being a first team all state linebacker isn't enough. Have been told he was nominated by his coach, but was not selected for the team. Salutatorian of his class with absolutely no character issues. Hate it when good kids get raw deals.
sportsnut5
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Wed May 18, 2016 9:21 pm

What am I missing? I didn't see any MN kids.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby cmplx6 » Thu May 19, 2016 10:25 am

It is possible that he didn't want to play in the game. There are players that turned down the nomination. I know there are a few alternates on the team. They will not publish any of that information though. No need to embarrass kids who were alternates. I sure Pierce was nominated and was selected but either didn't respond or had another reason for not playing in the game. As the other two players from Hettinger who were all state are on the team. I think the rosters have a very good representation of the All-State Teams. Out of the 30 seniors that were either 1st team or honorable mention there are 24 playing in the Shrine game. The East has double the all state players that the west has, but the west also had many more underclassmen on the all-state teams.

West All State Shrine Bowl Players:
Kyler Melby-Kenmare
Jalen Pfiefer-North Prairie
Denver Calgrove-Richardton
Tanner Sanford-Hettinger
Colby Steeke-Hettinger
Trey Holsten-M-L-S
Dalton Poirtra-St. John
Lane Schmitt-T-G-U

East All State Shrine Bowl Players:
Brady Warcken-LaMoure
Travor Flaa-Richland
Alec Heesch-Richland
Brady Heyen-Richland
Malek Larimer-Thompson
Tanner Johnson-Cavalier
Kendrick Lensen-Hankinson
Dawson Fagerland-Shiloh
Matt Fettig-Shiloh
Zac Martin-Shiloh
Cody Walton-Cavalier
Jordan Hulm-Linton
Jonathon Grunefelder-Napoleon
Kaleb Haley-New Rockford
Elijah Hansen-Richland
Adolfo Vasquez-Wyndmere

The six All-State Seniors Missing:
Quinn Alo-Lamoure
Karson Schoening-North Prairie
Hunter Pike-South Border
Cordell Volsen-Drake Anamoose
Brandon Pierce-Hettinger
Brody Nieuwsma-Strasburg

All 1st teamers, I know some are going on to play college ball and might not want to risk the injury. Don't know the story on all of them but I am sure their coaches all nominated them. There are other Lamoure kids, North Prairie kids, and Hettinger kids on the team. The State Player of the Year is on the team. I think 4 of the 6 region players of the year are in the game. I think they did a good job selecting the team.
cmplx6
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Thu May 19, 2016 10:38 am

Ok, Brandon was nominated by his coach, but he was not selected for the team, he didn't turn down the invite, he doesn't have other things going on, he was flat out not selected. The co-op is Hettinger-Scranton. Of the six senior all state players missing: Volsen, Nieuwsma and Pinke are on the Lions roster (you can't play in both). I can't understand why the other two (Alo and Schoening) aren't on the team, maybe they turned it down, I'm not sure and I don't know their situations regarding the game. Hettinger-Scranton won their region in football and beat the second place team from their region twice (once in the regular season and once in the quarter-finals). The second place team from their region had zero members on the first team and 2 members of the second team (both underclassmen) yet they had 4 players selected for the Shrine game. Hettinger-Scranton had 2 First team all state players, and one second team player who were all seniors and yet Brandon Pierce wasn't selected for the game.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu May 19, 2016 10:46 am

Alo is on the Badlands Bowl roster: http://badlandsbowl.com/north-dakota-roster/
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flip » Thu May 19, 2016 11:22 am

what is the reasoning for not letting them play in the Lions AS game and the Shrine Bowl?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby cmplx6 » Thu May 19, 2016 2:22 pm

Who knows why Pierce isn't in the game. Is he playing in any other all-star game? Do you know the kid personally and have asked him why? Doesn't make sense that his teammates would get an invite and he wouldn't. Should be a good game even without Brandon Pierce. I think the East is a little more stacked than the West, although having Denver Calgrove to hand the ball off to will be nice.
cmplx6
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportsnut5 » Thu May 19, 2016 4:10 pm

I do know Brandon personally and he does not know why he is not playing in the Shrine game. He was not invited, but wanted to play in the game and confused as to why he was not invited.
sportsnut5
NDPreps Starter

Postby cmplx6 » Mon May 23, 2016 12:50 pm

Just curious why there was such an uproar over one players omission, but nobody said anything about a player who didn't play all year, but is on the team. Seth Vivier was 1st team all state in 2014, but didn't play in 2015. But he is on the team.
cmplx6
NDPreps Starter

Postby woodchuck10 » Mon May 23, 2016 3:54 pm

cmplx6 wrote:Just curious why there was such an uproar over one players omission, but nobody said anything about a player who didn't play all year, but is on the team. Seth Vivier was 1st team all state in 2014, but didn't play in 2015. But he is on the team.

I think passing for over 2300 yards, throwing 35 TDs, and only 2 Ints his junior season merits a selection at the shrine game. Broke his collar bone in the preseason but he did play towards the end of the his senior year playing WR and DB.
woodchuck10
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby cmplx6 » Mon May 23, 2016 10:45 pm

I'm not saying the kid is not an all-star. Clearly he was 1st team all state his Junior year. Just brought it up because of the discussion over omissions to the game, thought maybe there would be some thought as to those invited to play. Are players invited based off of a body of work, one season, their senior season? Just curious that's all. I think this is great that Vivier gets to play more football after missing his senior year. I hope the player has the chance to play in college. The argument was brought up about a player that was not selected to play, and clearly he had the credentials to play. So if a player that this past season had no honors and no statistics, why was he selected and the 1st team all state LB was not?
cmplx6
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Tue May 24, 2016 12:30 pm

I don't have a problem with Vivier getting selected. He was very impressive as a Junior, I had a chance to watch him in the playoffs. I just hope whoever is in charge of the selection process (not sure if it's like the Lions game where each region has a rep) are truly selecting the best players possible. In the case of this season, they did not.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby cmplx6 » Fri May 27, 2016 6:17 am

So you think they didn't select the best players possible because one linebacker was not in the list? So having the State Player of the year in the game and all but six of the all state team is not having the best players available? You are being a bit picky are you not? Name who you would add to the team this year?
cmplx6
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportsphenom » Fri May 27, 2016 9:42 am

Flip wrote:what is the reasoning for not letting them play in the Lions AS game and the Shrine Bowl?

Those 2 games overlap, for instance this year the Lions basketball games are July 11 and 12th and the Shrine game is the 10th so the week of practices beforehand interfere. That's why you don't see some of the players that were all-state in football on the shrine list, because they chose basketball instead.
sportsphenom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The Schwab » Mon May 30, 2016 9:51 pm

I owe an apology in this forum...the selection committee reps from the region did all they could do, I was lied to by other people about other facts in this case. The facts that are true is the player being discussed is a fantastic young man and a fantastic football player. The region reps for this region need to be commended for what they did to try to get him an opportunity to play in this game.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby UNDSiouxfan » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:14 am

A very competitive game last night for a worthy cause!

I thought the West was just a little bit tougher on the line, but the game could've went either way. Denver Colgrove (RB Richardton-Taylor) and Jalen Pfeifer (QB North Prairie) stood out for the West on the offensive side, and Kendrick Lenzen (LB Hankinson) had a huge game on D for the East.

What a way for these kids to get together and raise $$ for the Shriners. Kudos to all the participants and coaches.
UNDSiouxfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Return to 9 - Man