The New Plan

North Dakota High School Football
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: The New Plan

Postby bulldog_power » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:45 pm

I heard killdeer won't opt up because they don't want to play Bulah. Find it sad they played in the last 2 state title games and now want to stay down a division because they are scared to play a team. Where is the pride.
bulldog_power
NDPreps Starter

Postby NDPREP » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:06 pm

Killdeer may have to opt up to not play Beulah, their numbers seem to be going down along with Hazen and rumor has it that they may be solidly in A.
NDPREP
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby cmplx6 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:26 am

So now that the new plan is out, does anybody have any thoughts on it? I know Stanley is dropping Powers Lake to drop down to class A. How will that affect the rest of the placement? How many schools will petition down to 9-man?
cmplx6
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:33 am

cmplx6 wrote:So now that the new plan is out, does anybody have any thoughts on it? I know Stanley is dropping Powers Lake to drop down to class A. How will that affect the rest of the placement? How many schools will petition down to 9-man?

You can only opt up...not down. It'll all depend on those usual 'A' schools on if they opt up again.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:37 am

I think It will be strange to see teams like Killdeer, Carrington, Minot Ryan, and Larimore in 9man. The AA division comes out with a nice similar group, but will be interesting to see how it's structured for the regular season and playoffs
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby bulldog_power » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:50 pm

In my opinion it's a joke to have a division with only 10 teams, but refuse to split a division that has 50 teams. By putting those extra teams down in the "A" division you are goin to watch a team like Bulah dominate the division. It's no fault to them as the miners have a great program, but they have competed for and won a state title on the AA division these last Couple years. They will really lay it on teams in this division
bulldog_power
NDPreps Starter

Postby cmplx6 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:30 am

OK Looking at the new plan and seeing the problem that is the "A" division made up of 31 teams. I have made a few assessments.

1) There will be 7 former AA schools, 18 former A schools, and 6 former 9-man schools.

2) Looking at roster sizes from 2015 the two largest teams would be Harvey(47) and Park River(46). The smallest schools would be Trenton/Trinity/Christian(15) and New Town(17). Average roster size is 29 players.

3) 6 teams that were A schools are moved down to 9-man. 4 of those 6 schools have a roster size of 29 or larger.

4) One of the top 3 schools in enrollment has one of the bottom three roster sizes. And one of the bottom 3 schools in enrollment size has one of the top three roster sizes.

Conclusion is that they need to use roster size and not school size to help determine classification.

If Trenton and New Town have to play A in 2 years they will not have a soul out for football as they will be slaughtered. Larimore and Milnor will kill 9-man as they would have the largest rosters in that division.

When you start to look at the roster sizes throughout the divisions there is not a big difference in size until you get to the AAA classification.
Last edited by cmplx6 on Sun May 22, 2016 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
cmplx6
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:04 pm

How many did Larimore, Killdeer, Milnor/NS, Carrington, and Minot Ryan have on their rosters? I'm very interested in seeing these schools in 9man. I think between them and Cavalier we will be seeing the same teams in the quarterfinals for the next many years. The bottom half of 9man is not going to have much success.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:13 pm

cmplx6 wrote:Conclusion is that they need to use roster size and not school size to help determine classification.

Bad idea for obvious reasons.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:38 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:I think It will be strange to see teams like Killdeer, Carrington, Minot Ryan, and Larimore in 9man. The AA division comes out with a nice similar group, but will be interesting to see how it's structured for the regular season and playoffs

Did I miss something or are we assuming these schools won't opt up? I would find it hard to believe they wouldn't opt up, especially Ryan.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:56 pm

I haven't heard anything, but I think Larimore goes 9 man. Less travel, more natural rivalries, and the school isn't as big as it used to be.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:32 am

I haven't heard anything either. If they don't opt up, I really think they should look at 2 9man divisions. Many teams just aren't going to be able to compete with those programs due to numbers.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Previous

Return to Football