Region 1

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Region 1

Postby wan2bqb » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:42 am

leroybla wrote:Central Cass 80, Milnor/North Sargent 77 in overtime at Wahpeton. No such thing as a day off in region one.

Proof of that is in the NDSCS Bonanaza all 4 region 1 matchups went to the lower seed.

#5 Central Cass def #2 M-NS by 3 in OT
#4 Hankinson def #1 Northern Cass by 10
#11 Maple Valley def #8 Lisbon by 10
#9 W-L def Richland by 24

Top 3 teams get the 16 days and a chance to heal up all the soreness and get fresh legs. The bottom 10 get to play a game in a new venue Scheels Arena (at least to the region 1 teams) not sure which is a better thing. If you love basketball get to the tourney and watch them all. No gimmies in the final 8. Wow its gonna be fun. Dont care about rankings but whoever makes it to state will be battle tested and able to make some noise.
wan2bqb
NDPreps Starter

Postby district2fanog » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:14 pm

i will be honest, i think OG wins it all. Will kill richland. Beat MNS by a couple. Take down Enderlin. Beat whoever we play in the ship.

Head coach is not the best. But we do have the best assistant coach in the Region, hands down!
district2fanog
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Cap'n Crunch » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:32 pm

district2fanog wrote:i will be honest, i think OG wins it all. Will kill richland. Beat MNS by a couple. Take down Enderlin. Beat whoever we play in the ship.

Head coach is not the best. But we do have the best assistant coach in the Region, hands down!

I like Oak Grove a lot. Foster is a work horse, Bakkegard (sp??) is one of the best shooters in the region, and I am a huge fan of the way Slagle plays the game; but that being said the only way they win the region is if the whole team catches fire from three and can sustain that for 4 consecutive games. I don't see that happening this year. Next year though.... look out!
Cap'n Crunch
NDPreps Reserve

Postby UNDSiouxfan » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:36 pm

I just can't figure out the hoopla over Oak Grove. Yes - They will be much better next year, but 2015-2016 is not their year.

Sorry, I just don't see them getting past Richland - Richland simply plays better defense and they will defend OG's 3 point shooters.

yes - Bakkegard is going to be one to watch next year, but 2015-2016 OG is a team which relies on 3's and that will rarely win games in a physical tournament.

IF they do get by Richland (which I do not see happening), MNS will beat them by 15-20 points. It is encouraging to see Grover fans hope their team wins, but they are the #10 seed in Region 1 for a reason.
UNDSiouxfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:17 pm

UNDSiouxfan wrote:I just can't figure out the hoopla over Oak Grove. Yes - They will be much better next year, but 2015-2016 is not their year.

Sorry, I just don't see them getting past Richland - Richland simply plays better defense and they will defend OG's 3 point shooters.

yes - Bakkegard is going to be one to watch next year, but 2015-2016 OG is a team which relies on 3's and that will rarely win games in a physical tournament.

IF they do get by Richland (which I do not see happening), MNS will beat them by 15-20 points. It is encouraging to see Grover fans hope their team wins, but they are the #10 seed in Region 1 for a reason.

You do realize though that they were a few better finishes from being 9-3 in the region right? (Lost to Lisbon by 3 in OT, W-L by 4, Enderlin by 2 and Richland by 6; every game they led late except Richland). I agree, 4 good games in a row will be tough for them...but if they are hitting their shots...anything is possible...which is why they are going to get everyone's best game.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby OKCfan » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:57 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
UNDSiouxfan wrote:I just can't figure out the hoopla over Oak Grove. Yes - They will be much better next year, but 2015-2016 is not their year.

You do realize though that they were a few better finishes from being 9-3 in the region right? (Lost to Lisbon by 3 in OT, W-L by 4, Enderlin by 2 and Richland by 6; every game they led late except Richland). I agree, 4 good games in a row will be tough for them...but if they are hitting their shots...anything is possible...which is why they are going to get everyone's best game.

But you do realize that OG won on a bogus foul call with 0.6 seconds left against the #11 seed, correct? Everybody played close games in this region, so don’t pull that card."
And the Grovers are going to get everyone’s best game because they are the most disliked team in the region...not because they can shoot well.
OKCfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby district2fanog » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:39 am

I just think Oak Grove beats Richland for 3 reasons. 1. Better shooters, 2. More size, 3. Better coach

Anyone disagree?
district2fanog
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Magic74 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:41 am

Sorry district2fanog but I couldn't let this one pass me by. Oak Grove does have good shooters but I don't agree that they have more size and Richland has descent shooting and one exceptional shooter and point guard. As to coaching, coach Card is a good coach but I think that Richland's coach Herrick is also a good coach. Richland beat Oak Grove and Enderlin, lost to 1 seeded N Cass by 3 and lost to 2 seed Milnor N Sargent by 6. I have also been impressed with their defense. Richland also beat a very solid Maple Valley club that plays very hard and exceptional defense by 15. Oak Grove has as good a chance as anybody in Region one but they are certainly not a favorite.
Magic74
NDPreps Rookie

Postby wan2bqb » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:17 am

district2fanog wrote:I just think Oak Grove beats Richland for 3 reasons. 1. Better shooters, 2. More size, 3. Better coach

Anyone disagree?

I don't disagree that they could beat Richland because they do shoot well, and are bigger, but I don't believe coaching will be a factor at all or the reason why they MAY get by Richland, but they will NOT run the table at Regions and the reason is no defense, no defense, no defense. They don't stop anyone. I can think of two other top rated team that if they don't play better defense they will be in the same boat. M-NS and Enderlin both not the best defensive teams. But I give Oak Grove a less than 10% chance of winning the region (far less than M-NS and Enderlin). I won't say no chance..... but slim to none and none has left the building.
Last edited by wan2bqb on Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
wan2bqb
NDPreps Starter

Postby ChickenWing » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:49 am

Radio stations that will have the tournament?
ChickenWing
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:57 am

Safe bets are 103.9 The Truck & 740 The Fan...
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby district2fanog » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:17 pm

wan2bqb wrote:
district2fanog wrote:I just think Oak Grove beats Richland for 3 reasons. 1. Better shooters, 2. More size, 3. Better coach

Anyone disagree?

I don't disagree that they could beat Richland because they do shoot well, and are bigger, but I don't believe coaching will be a factor at all or the reason why they MAY get by Richland, but they will NOT run the table at Regions and the reason is no defense, no defense, no defense. They don't stop anyone. I can think of two other top rated team that if they don't play better defense they will be in the same boat. M-NS and Enderlin both not the best defensive teams. But I give Oak Grove a less than 10% chance of winning the region (far less than M-NS and Enderlin). I won't say no chance..... but slim to none and none has left the building.

if we are talking about teams that dont play defense, i would add Northern Cass to the list. However they can fill it up on O.
district2fanog
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Cap'n Crunch » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:22 pm

REGION 1
@ Scheels Arena, Fargo
February 29th, March 1st, 7th, 8th, 10th

Monday, February 29th
G1: #8 Lisbon vs. #9 Wyndmere-Lidgerwood
G2: #4 Hankinson vs. #13 Sargent Central
G3: #5 Central Cass vs. #12 Fairmount/CT

Tuesday, March 1st
G4: #7 Richland vs. #10 Oak Grove (8-12)
G5: #6 Kindred vs. #11 Maple Valley

Monday, March 7th
G6: #1 Northern Cass vs. Wyndmere-Lidgerwood
G7: Hankinson vs. Central Cass
G8: #2 Milnor-North Sargent vs.Oak Grove
G9: #3 Enderlin (14-6) vs. Maple Valley
Tuesday, March 8th
G10: Northern Cass vs. Hankinson
G11: Milnor-North Sargent vs. Enderlin

Thursday, March 10th
3rd Place: Northern Cass vs. Enderlin
Championship: Hankinson vs. Milnor- North Sargent

I'm not sure if it's fair to say that Hankinson has been flying under the radar this year, but that is how I'm going to describe them. They lost two close games early in the year to the top two seeds in the region, and I think they look like the team in the team in the region that has improved the most over the course of the season. They also have the best big man in the region in Cody Mauch, and I believe in him to put up big numbers in four consecutive games which is the biggest reason I like Hankinson to win the region. The only problem I think they could run into would be depth, but almost every team will run into issues like that at this time of year.

Let's face it though any team can win this region. Northern Cass is really tough this year, and could very well take down Hankinson and win the region. Enderlin and MNS are both strong contenders as well. They both can fill the basket up on any given night, but struggle to play consistent D and if they run into hot shooting team on the wrong night could go home early in the tourney. The next two weeks will end every debate we've had this season on who the best team in the region is, because the winner will have earned and proven it.
Cap'n Crunch
NDPreps Reserve

Postby wan2bqb » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:47 pm

Agree with almost everything you said Cap'n Crunch except I think M-NS will not have a depth issue, and Northern Cass can play defense but if you want to get in a shoot out with them they will. Cody is the best post in the region but much of their game does rely on the ability to rebound and run the court with Nick Mauch and Bailey Hernandez. They won't do that against Northern Cass or M-NS effectively. If those two play defense and make it a half court game then I think its NC vs M-NS in the championship. But I been saying all year any team can win this and who ever does will be a good representative of the region. Battle tested and ready for state. Going to be some fun basketball to watch anyway it turns out.
wan2bqb
NDPreps Starter

Postby Cap'n Crunch » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:55 pm

What does everyone think about Scheel's Arena as a venue for the tournament?

Personally I would prefer the Civic Center. The floor and seating as a whole are nice at Scheels, but I have a huge issue with the set up that they have for the scoreboard there. I wouldn't be surprised if that causes some confusion for a team in a critical time and costs them the game.

Also I hate paying for parking, but I guess these are just the times we live in now. :lol:
Cap'n Crunch
NDPreps Reserve

Postby MNTwinsFan » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:56 pm

I think the atmosphere at the tournament is only going to improve at Scheels Arena. The Civic center produced an experience where fans are closer to the floor but even when the arena isn't packed, I thought last night was really a good atmosphere for the two games (7-10) and (6-11). What an awesome experience for the athletes! It has to feel like a mini state tourney for some of these small town schools. I would much rather pay the additional $1 to get into Scheels Arena than the Civic Center.

Only concern is there looked like the floor was poorly put together, lots of gaps...hopefully that improves when they lay it down for the next round of games. I don''t remember seeing that when I took in the Bison games there this winter.

Lastly, parking. If you used the Civic Center parking lot, they charged you as well. Park on the north side on the street to avoid the parking fee if you don't mind a little jaunt.

Good luck to the remaining region 1 teams. Whomever comes out on top, you certainly deserve it!
MNTwinsFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby d_fense » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:33 am

I thought the atmosphere was pretty poor. I spoke with some players from 2 teams. They were not impressed. What really was ticking people off, was that the facility didn't feel the need to provide a scoreboard that included basic info that the most Podunk class B school facility does. Such as team fouls. I believe it was the second night of the tournament, during the fourth game at the start of the fourth quarter before the Scheels Center started putting up team fouls.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby ND-is-#1 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:05 am

Predictions for tomorrow..

Game 1. NC over Lisbon 67-61

Game 2. Central Cass over Hankinson 73-69

Game 3. M/NS over Oak Grove 81-76

Game 4. Enderlin over Kindred 67-57

Don't be surprised if Lisbon or OG pull off an upset. Hankinson/CC game could go either way.
ND-is-#1
NDPreps Starter

Postby d_fense » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:26 am

I will not be surprised if any team wins tomorrow. The only team you didn't mention the lower seed possibly winning is Kindred, who I think has the best chance to pull off an upset. They beat Enderlin by 20 in Enderlin's third to last game. Enderlin has also lost 3 of their final 5 games.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby UNDSiouxfan » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:06 am

Game 1: NC over Lisbon 74 - 61

Game 2: Hankinson over CC 73 - 66

Game 3: MNS over Oak Grove 85-70

Game 4: Kindred over Enderlin 72-71
UNDSiouxfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:37 pm

FINALS from QUARTERFINALS

#1 Northern Cass DEF. #8 Lisbon 64-53
#4 Hankinson DEF. #5 Central Cass 64-53
#10 Oak Grove DEF. #2 Milnor-North Sargent 77-66
#3 Enderlin DEF. #6 Kindred 58-51
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:27 pm

FINALS from SEMIFINALS

#1 Northern Cass DEF. #4 Hankinson 59-58
#10 Oak Grove DEF. #3 Enderlin 68-50

So things look like this for Thursday Night's Action:
3rd Place: #3 Enderlin (15-7) vs. #4 Hankinson (16-7)
Championship: #1 Northern Cass (17-5) vs. #10 Oak Grove (11-12)
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby district2fanog » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:27 am

Does anyone have a list of all region?
Senior athlete?
Coach of the year?
district2fanog
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:34 am

Senior Athlete: Graham Hurlburt, Enderlin
Coach of the Year: Mike Gaukler, Hankinson

All-Region
Northern Cass: Cody Springer, Logan Nelson
Milnor-North Sargent: Jacob Hanson, Masen Olsen
Enderlin: Peter Lindgren, Graham Hurlburt
Hankinson: Cody Mauch, Bailey Hernandez
Central Cass: Grady Bresnahan
Kindred: Ethan Lingen
Richland: Brady Heyen
Lisbon: Riley Lau, Austin Pithey
Wynd-Lidg: Adolfo Vasquez
Oak Grove: Bryce Bakkegard
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby OKCfan » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:21 am

Anyone care to comment on the Fargo Forum not having an article on Northern Cass winning the Region last night? I've checked on inforum.com all morning and there isn't anything yet. We all know that if Oak Grove would've won last night, there would have been a lengthy article depicting the Grovers unbelievable run as an underdog in 4 consecutive games in regionals. I understand that the State A tournament is also going on right now, but this is a tremendous accomplishment for some team other than Oak Grove or Central Cass to win Region 1, and it deserves some publicity. Shame on you Forum, but more importantly, congrats to the Jags and good luck next week in Minot.
OKCfan
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Boys