2015-16 Region Tournaments

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 2015-16 Region Tournaments

Postby BasketballJunkie » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:39 am

Ya, wouldn't surprise me. Really though with the random drawing 2 & 3 have no difference. Only plus would be getting on the opposite side of the 1 seed.
BasketballJunkie
NDPreps Rookie

Postby caserace0710 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:11 pm

2016 Regional Finalists State B Appearances by School

Bold teams denote regional finalists
Bold years denote state championship seasons

Northern Cass - none
Oak Grove - 11 (1949, 1954, 1957, 1969, 1986, 2000, 2001, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015)

Hillsboro/Central Valley - none
Hillsboro - 14 (1962, 1968, 1971, 1973, 1974, 1977, 1980, 1981, 1984, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999)
Central Valley - 1 (1993)
Grafton - 6 (1933, 1934, 1937, 2008, 2011, 2012)

Edgeley/Kulm/Montpelier - none
Edgeley - 4 (1961, 1973, 1989, 1990)
Kulm - 2 (1957, 1958)
Montpelier - none (made state 4 times as Litchville-Marion/Montpelier)
Strasburg/Zeeland - none
Strasburg - 2 (1988, 2002)
Zeeland - 1 (1974)

Four Winds/Minnewaukan - 2 (2013, 2015)
Four Winds - 3 (2006, 2007, 2008)
Minnewaukan - 3 (1976, 1977, 1990 - made state in 2000 as Sheyenne/Minnewaukan)
Dunseith - 4 (1972, 1987, 1990, 1994)

Shiloh Christian - 10 (1996, 1998, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2015)
Solen - none

Our Redeemers - none
Bishop Ryan - 13 (1937, 1938, 1939, 1942, 1943, 1994, 1999, 2000, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2011)

Beulah - 13 (1938, 1949, 1951, 1952, 1970, 1984, 1989, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2010, 2012, 2014)
Dickinson Trinity - 10 (1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2011, 2013)

Kenmare - 14 (1944, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1961, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1968)
Kenmare/Donnybrook - 1 (1988)
New Town - 11 (1954, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1969, 1976, 1978, 1980, 1981, 2011, 2014)

NOTES:
Beulah appeared in 1 Class A State Tournament
Bishop Ryan was known as St. Leo's for their first 5 Class B Tournament appearances
Bishop Ryan appeared in 9 Class A State Tournaments (two as St. Leo's)
Dickinson Trinity appeared in 4 Class A State Tournaments
Grafton appeared in 14 Class A State Tournaments
Kenmare appeared in 5 Open Class State Tournaments (pre-Class B)
http://northdakotahsfootball.altervista.org
North Dakota High School Football historical information since 1975
caserace0710
NDPreps Starter

Postby Wilbur » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:46 pm

It’s hard to believe that Hillsboro, which was nearly a perennial entry in the State Tourney in the 1970’s and 1980’s has not been there in 17 years. People also forget that Kenmore was a powerhouse in the 1960’s—but has made just one appearance in the past 48 years, and none since 1988. They were undefeated that year coming in, but they lost to Divide County in the first round, and ended up in sixth place, I think. Grafton and Bishop Ryan were once part of the North Star Conference in Class A, which consisted of teams that were too big for Class B, but smaller than most of the Class A schools. Other teams that were in the conference included Belcourt (Turtle Mountain), Bottineau, Rugby, Harvey, Valley City, Devils Lake and Langdon (there were probably others, but these were the teams in the 1980’s). The conference was guaranteed two entries in the Class A Tournament, with the EDC and WDA each having three entries. It probably wouldn’t be such a bad idea to reinstate the conference, and get rid of all the talk about three classes for basketball in ND. My opinion, of course.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bisonation6 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:34 pm

Luckily for Our Redeemer's tonight, one of Bishop Ryan's best players got sick and they lost by 6. He never dressed. Ryan got off to a big early lead but couldn't do much the rest of the game Should be FW-M 1, Shiloh 2, ORCS 3, and Trinity 4 if you ask me.
bisonation6
NDPreps Starter

Postby thefourwinds » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:59 pm

Here we go with excuses from the Bishop Ryan fans. ORCS had a starter from last season out all this season recovering from knee surgery. Another starter from earlier this season has been out every game since the first week of February with a broken finger. During the district championship, another starter was playing with an injured back and a fourth starter missed the entire 3rd Q with illness, but came back to play in the 4th Q and OT. Tonight one of their starters was playing on an injured ankle.

Good teams overcome those kinds of situations, and that's what ORCS has done all season.

The District 12 fans have been underestimating Our Redeemers all season. They beat all comers in the district and the Region, many of them 2 or 3 times apiece.
thefourwinds
NDPreps Reserve

Postby lions700 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:25 am

thefourwinds wrote:Here we go with excuses from the Bishop Ryan fans. ORCS had a starter from last season out all this season recovering from knee surgery. Another starter from earlier this season has been out every game since the first week of February with a broken finger. During the district championship, another starter was playing with an injured back and a fourth starter missed the entire 3rd Q with illness, but came back to play in the 4th Q and OT. Tonight one of their starters was playing on an injured ankle.

Good teams overcome those kinds of situations, and that's what ORCS has done all season.

The District 12 fans have been underestimating Our Redeemers all season. They beat all comers in the district and the Region, many of them 2 or 3 times apiece.

I'm trying to get where you are coming from? When do Bishop Ryan fans come up with excuses? I think they mean it is frustrating, not an excuse. The kid ended his career with food poisoning. Our Redeemer's won so their fans are happy, and especially their coach. I guarantee you if they would have lost, he would have handled it poorly. I have heard a lot of bad stories. Bishop Ryan's players and coach took it like champs. Hopefully Feller gets his team being tired problem all ironed out for state next week cause that was the excuse against Shiloh in December. It's like, "Dude, you wanna win state, but you are too fatigued after back-to-back game days." Just so you know, you gotta win three in a row in three days.
Remember ORCS, whatever happens next week, it is just a game. The world will not end, I guarantee it. Now I am moving on with life cause, frankly, this doesn't matter that much.

And are you saying Bishop Ryan isn't good? I think they are underestimating Bishop Ryan. Sports writers back me up on this one. The media hoists ORCS, believe me. I love how before the season everyone was picking Glenburn and Rugby at the top of the region and Bishop Ryan wasn't though highly of and when they surprise people, silence! 5 losses. 3 to ORCS (10,6, and 3), Shiloh by 1, and Dunseith right after Christmas break. But, please, explain the underestimation you feel.
lions700
NDPreps Reserve

Postby thefourwinds » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:33 am

I'm talking about on this board. If you look back through the comments on this board, you had fans from every other team in District 12 (especially Ryan, DLB, and Berthold) talking about how their teams were all such great 3-point shooters, so look out. You also had about half of the predictions on this thread predicting Ryan to win "because it's hard to beat a good team three times."

The fatigue story that you're talking about after the Shiloh game was the angle the sportswriter took. He took it in the article itself, and he took it in the way he posed the interview questions to Feller. If you go back and read that article, you can see it in the way the story comes out.

Was Ryan a good team? Yes. Were they good enough to beat any of the best teams they played? No.

As for whatever stories you have heard, everyone hears stories. I have heard stories about Ryan supporters rooting for the Knights because of the way the respective teams handle themselves. So believe whatever stories you want to believe.
thefourwinds
NDPreps Reserve

Postby lions700 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:59 am

thefourwinds wrote:I'm talking about on this board. If you look back through the comments on this board, you had fans from every other team in District 12 (especially Ryan, DLB, and Berthold) talking about how their teams were all such great 3-point shooters, so look out. You also had about half of the predictions on this thread predicting Ryan to win "because it's hard to beat a good team three times."

The fatigue story that you're talking about after the Shiloh game was the angle the sportswriter took. He took it in the article itself, and he took it in the way he posed the interview questions to Feller. If you go back and read that article, you can see it in the way the story comes out.

Was Ryan a good team? Yes. Were they good enough to beat any of the best teams they played? No.

As for whatever stories you have heard, everyone hears stories. I have heard stories about Ryan supporters rooting for the Knights because of the way the respective teams handle themselves. So believe whatever stories you want to believe.

Talking about beating a good team three times. I have had people tell me stories about back in their playing days, they took heartbreaking tournamment losses after winning the first two. Whatever happens, I heard dodgeball with basketballs sent that one kid down. That is also frustrating, but understandable.

With ORCS, Shiloh, and Trinity at the B, get ready for all the comments about how private schools shouldn't be allowed to play or should be in their own league or how they cheat or how they are corrupt, etc.
Etc. etc.
Whine, whine whine. Complain, complain, complain. Get ready to have your teams called class
A cause you are a Class A "town" even though A and B has nothing to do with town size. I'm waiting, folks. Bring it on!!!
lions700
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:03 am

lions700 wrote:
thefourwinds wrote:I'm talking about on this board. If you look back through the comments on this board, you had fans from every other team in District 12 (especially Ryan, DLB, and Berthold) talking about how their teams were all such great 3-point shooters, so look out. You also had about half of the predictions on this thread predicting Ryan to win "because it's hard to beat a good team three times."

Talking about beating a good team three times. I have had people tell me stories about back in their playing days, they took heartbreaking tournamment losses after winning the first two. Whatever happens, I heard dodgeball with basketballs sent that one kid down. That is also frustrating, but understandable.

With ORCS, Shiloh, and Trinity at the B, get ready for all the comments about how private schools shouldn't be allowed to play or should be in their own league or how they cheat or how they are corrupt, etc.
Etc. etc.
Whine, whine whine. Complain, complain, complain. Get ready to have your teams called class
A cause you are a Class A "town" even though A and B has nothing to do with town size. I'm waiting, folks. Bring it on!!!

That talk has started long ago...its inevitable every season.

Congrats to all the teams that EARNED the right to be playing next weekend...should be a great basketball tournament!
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby lions700 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:11 am

Oh!!! It has started!!! Already a sarcastic new forum about Great Class B towns citing Dickinson, Minot, and Bismarck. Who knew? How did we know this would happen? Geez. The last few years it has taken till the next day, but this year it is the night of!!! It is really getting heated.

Oak Grove has apparently been to the Region 1 title game 7 straight years. Maybe because they have and have had good players and a good coach? Ever thought of that? Maybe not cause they recruit after all.
lions700
NDPreps Reserve

Postby THEGODFATHER » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:55 am

Boom, and so it begins again!
THEGODFATHER
NDPreps Rookie

Postby bowhunter_24 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:20 am

They have good players, yes.

I think that's the whole point. Good players every year because the school is in the middle of the biggest town in ND
bowhunter_24
NDPreps Rookie

Postby scramblinfran » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:36 am

Region 5 Awards

All Region
Zac Martin, Sr - Shiloh
Chad Coulter, Sr - Shiloh
Bradon Uses Arrow, Jr - Solen
Payton Gabrielson, Sr - Flasher
Donald Blevins, Sr - Standing Rock
Kole Iron Shield, Sr - Standing Rock
Zach Schell, Sr - Washburn
Zach Cottingham, Jr - Underwood
Brandon Jenkins, Sr - Wilton
Nick Thompson, Sr - Max

SOTY - Zac Martin - Shiloh
COTY - Derrick Sailer - Washburn
scramblinfran
NDPreps Starter

Postby senditin » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:30 am

Schools in class A cities should be in class A. They'll adjust over time because they have the advantage of a larger pool of players. NDHSAA needs to take off the blinders on this issue.
senditin
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby heimer » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:34 am

I like this new lions700 fella. It's fun to see what it looks like when a private school apologist tries to play the victim.

Three privates and Grafton, isn't this magical? What a great B it will be with great B towns like Bismarck, Minot, and Dickinson represented.

There is a thee-class proposal coming from District 15. I don't even care if it's self-serving to the originators (Watford). This tournament field has really none of the "little engine that could" status, save Strasburg. Kenmare and Northern Cass aren't really little by comparison.

This tournament field is the absolute end of everything B has been about. It's over. Write on it's tombstone, "died of a theory. An enrollment cutoff theory." Bismarck, Minot, Dickinson and others have found their way around it, and consolidations are what is keeping up with the Jonses.
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby Iphone_User25 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:40 am

I am still astonished that Region 7 is played on Trinity's home floor. Most important games of the season and they have the advantage before the game even starts. It is unfortunate the AD's in the region do not do more to change the scenario.
Iphone_User25
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Sportsrube » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:04 am

senditin wrote:Schools in class A cities should be in class A. They'll adjust over time because they have the advantage of a larger pool of players. NDHSAA needs to take off the blinders on this issue.

I agree and I think one of the reasons the private school defenders get so defensive is that the truth hurts. The NDHSAA needs to do one of two things: move all privates up to class A (like a lot of states do) or go to a three class system and let the privates be in the middle system with the option to move up to the top system. (Like St. Mary's and Shanley do.) Unfortunately I don't think the NDHSAA has the guts to make the move. (And yes, I know that member schools have to vote on these things.)
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bisonation6 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:04 am

lions700 wrote:
thefourwinds wrote:Here we go with excuses from the Bishop Ryan fans. ORCS had a starter from last season out all this season recovering from knee surgery. Another starter from earlier this season has been out every game since the first week of February with a broken finger. During the district championship, another starter was playing with an injured back and a fourth starter missed the entire 3rd Q with illness, but came back to play in the 4th Q and OT. Tonight one of their starters was playing on an injured ankle.

I'm trying to get where you are coming from? When do Bishop Ryan fans come up with excuses? I think they mean it is frustrating, not an excuse. The kid ended his career with food poisoning. Our Redeemer's won so their fans are happy, and especially their coach. I guarantee you if they would have lost, he would have handled it poorly. I have heard a lot of bad stories. Bishop Ryan's players and coach took it like champs. Hopefully Feller gets his team being tired problem all ironed out for state next week cause that was the excuse against Shiloh in December. It's like, "Dude, you wanna win state, but you are too fatigued after back-to-back game days." Just so you know, you gotta win three in a row in three days.
Remember ORCS, whatever happens next week, it is just a game. The world will not end, I guarantee it. Now I am moving on with life cause, frankly, this doesn't matter that much.

And are you saying Bishop Ryan isn't good? I think they are underestimating Bishop Ryan. Sports writers back me up on this one. The media hoists ORCS, believe me. I love how before the season everyone was picking Glenburn and Rugby at the top of the region and Bishop Ryan wasn't though highly of and when they surprise people, silence! 5 losses. 3 to ORCS (10,6, and 3), Shiloh by 1, and Dunseith right after Christmas break. But, please, explain the underestimation you feel.

Thank you. Our Redeemer's won. Fair in square. I salute their thousands of hours spent in the gym. I was just pointing out as a true fact. ORCS was fortunate that Ryan didn't have Daws. Could have made a big difference. Perhaps Ryan would have won, but maybe no. The world will never know. You can't deny the fact that ORCS caught a nice break. It is no excuse. It is not the reason for the loss. I was simply posting that as part of a game recap for those from the other 7 regions that may not have known by looking at the score. The post might have sounded in a rube tone sort of way, but I didn't mean it like that.

Good season to everyone in region 6. Bishop Ryan fought hard and so did a lot of other teams. Certainly surprised a lot of people who thought ORCS would "walk to state." We ended up having a tight region tournament and ORCS had to earn their birth just like any other team.

Should be an exciting weekend in Minot next week.
bisonation6
NDPreps Starter

Postby thefourwinds » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:16 am

Given that Ryan actually scored more last night than they did in either of their previous Region 6 tournament games earlier this week or either of their previous two meetings against ORCS this season, it's worth asking the question whether Daws' presence would have made a difference. Of course, that question can never be answered, and I'm not knocking Daws - he's a great player - but I think the rest of the team had to step up their game in his absence, and they did so.

I liken it to the District championship game last week when Van Lith for ORCS was on the bench for a lot of the 4th Q with 4 fouls. The rest of the team had to step it up, and they did.

Anyway, my overall point is that I see the Ryan / ORCS matchups this year much like I saw the ORCS / Berthold matchups last year. ORCS had Berthold on the ropes in the district regular season (up by 8 with about a minute left), and lost the game. Then in the Region 6 semifinal, they were leading Berthold at halftime by 6. Berthold came out and put them away in the second half and then took Rugby to the wire in the following championship game. Last year, ORCS was a good team, but they could not put away Berthold. I see a similar situation this year between Ryan and ORCS. Ryan is good, well-coached, and they'll have a lot of returning players for next year. They just couldn't keep up with a better ORCS team.
thefourwinds
NDPreps Reserve

Postby sportsnut5 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:45 am

The AD's in Region 7 have tried other options, like moving it to Watford City or Bismarck, but the NDHSAA will not allow the region to play the games outside of their region boundaries. The only options are to play at Trinity, Hazen, or Beulah. They are the only facilities in the region that have the seating capacity large enough to host the tournament. Someone would always have a home court advantage, moving it to Beulah and Hazen would just add more travel to the equation for many of the teams. Unless a facility is built in Dickinson that can accommodate the number of fans for the tournament, it will unfortunately be played at Trinity.
sportsnut5
NDPreps Starter

Postby nolan4 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:02 am

I think THIS is why this board has so few people anymore........ it a b*tch and cry session about losing , privates, and big schools......I havent been on here too long but I have read it for yrs.......this oming from a losing teams fan........I like good basketball , I could care less if it is tiny Sawyer vs Beulah or Dickinson Trinity or Beulah vs Central Cass, I just like good basketball teams playing each other........Class B is fun!!!!
nolan4
NDPreps Starter

Postby Gunning4ya » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:34 am

sportsnut5 wrote:The AD's in Region 7 have tried other options, like moving it to Watford City or Bismarck, but the NDHSAA will not allow the region to play the games outside of their region boundaries. The only options are to play at Trinity, Hazen, or Beulah. They are the only facilities in the region that have the seating capacity large enough to host the tournament. Someone would always have a home court advantage, moving it to Beulah and Hazen would just add more travel to the equation for many of the teams. Unless a facility is built in Dickinson that can accommodate the number of fans for the tournament, it will unfortunately be played at Trinity.

Could they play it at Dickinson State Uuniversity or Dickinson High School?
Gunning4ya
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:39 am

They played the Region 7 girls tournament at Dickinson High, and it was so over crowded. And DSU doesn't have near enough capacity.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby UNDSiouxfan » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:42 am

It is very unfortunate for ND Class B basketball that it has come to this point. This is the biggest sporting event in our state but it just isn't the same as it once was.

Here are some POPULATION facts:

Fargo - about 200,000 to draw from (Fargo, WF, Mhd, kids all go to OG)
Minot - about 50,000 to draw from (both finalists in their Region this year)
Bismarck - about 100,000 to draw from (and the best facilities in the state)
Dickinson - about 30,000 to draw from (while easily being able to compete w/Dickinson High every year)

and THESE are class B towns??? the NDHSAA has it all wrong...

Grand Forks - well, it's a matter of time until they get their own private school and enter the "B"

Simply said, having private schools in these large communities gives them an edge by having a larger population to recruit from. Personally, I'm from a class A town and it was tough enough to compete against the big towns back then. Witnessing these changing times is simply ruining the best sporting event we have here in ND.

The allure of Class B basketball is having that great player dominate a basketball game, getting to state and watching these other teams defend against that special player. Sometimes, a team will have two. The game is changing and it isn't quite the same, because the larger communities can have 8-9-10 kids to defend. I'm not saying private schools have more talented players, but it's about depth in numbers. It used to be every year a different team would make it. Not so much anymore.

Remember the names Hunter Berg from Grenora? Dustin Undlin from Mohall? Bryan Buhr from Hope-Page? Scott Guldseth from Edinburg? This is what ND Class B basketball is about -- emptying out these small towns, locking the doors, and cheering on your small town teams. When you have a deep bench that can stop these one-in-every-ten year caliber of player, it keeps those kids from getting recognized.

So to all those small town ND communities that were able to make the B this year, good luck to you! We know who you are and we will be rooting. In the meantime, the populations in the big towns keeps going up.
UNDSiouxfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:50 am

Fargo - about 200,000 to draw from (Fargo, WF, Mhd, kids all go to OG)

by no means trying to start an argument here, but the metro area kids can still go to Park Christian or Shanley.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Boys