JV Lessons

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

JV Lessons

Postby heimer » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:52 pm

A thread dedicated to the lessons learned while watching the JV girls game.

I'll get started:

If you can't tell the difference between a block and a charge, it's probably a travel.
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Re: JV Lessons

Postby scoobyx2 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:15 am

Parents, quit screaming "over the back"! There is rarely a situation that a player has actually boxed out properly enough to draw that foul.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Gunning4ya » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:18 am

scoobyx2 wrote:Parents, quit screaming "over the back"! There is rarely a situation that a player has actually boxed out properly enough to draw that foul.

There is no such "over the back" call anymore. It was changed because of so much height difference in Class B. If they do not get them with the body, they can grab any rebound.
Gunning4ya
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:22 pm

scoobyx2 wrote:Parents, quit screaming "over the back"! There is rarely a situation that a player has actually boxed out properly enough to draw that foul.

I ref a lot of JH games and everyone is always yelling for an over the back. If there is no box out I never give the call. If there is a box out, I will give the call with just minor contact to reward the player for fundamentals.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Dualsportfan » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:42 pm

The "over the back" yelling drives me nuts too...I like lionsfan's criteria for the call/no call. The other one Is yelling "travel" when a player dives and slides with the ball not knowing it is not traveling unless the player attempts to get up or intentionally rolls over. Fortunately I see most refs get this right.
Dualsportfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ReadyToPlay » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:57 pm

You know that you are at a JV game when------there is no call of traveling with 2 minutes left in game and the score is 67-21 with the sound of the band warming up for the varsity game...
ReadyToPlay
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:43 pm

Dualsportfan wrote:The "over the back" yelling drives me nuts too...I like lionsfan's criteria for the call/no call. The other one Is yelling "travel" when a player dives and slides with the ball not knowing it is not traveling unless the player attempts to get up or intentionally rolls over. Fortunately I see most refs get this right.

Yes, refs get this right most of the time but I'm surprised that the coaches always complain about it.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Return to Girls