85-15

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

85-15

Postby heimer » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:21 am

No, this is not a new realignment plan.

There is no reason for anyone to win by this score.

Show some class. You're better than that.
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Re: 85-15

Postby balla45 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:05 pm

Watford City did not press in the second half and the starters played about 20 minutes each. Should they not play defense? Should they not score?
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby heimer » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:14 pm

16 minutes in the second half.

Use all 30 seconds of the clock each possession.

Maybe 20 possessions.

Shoot 50 percent from the field, no 3's =20 points.

So, you're telling me they had 65 at halftime.

This isn't rocket science, and you're better than that. Don't make excuses for a school obviously pi$$ed off over the shot clock and taking their pound of flesh from another team.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:20 pm

There have been other similar blowouts this season, why single out this team?
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby heimer » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:25 pm

For two reasons:

1. It's the first one I saw. I saw it in a scoreboard sent to me for other purposes. I did see a 112-50 score by St. Johns on the boys side. That's still not 70 points, but the premise is valid.

2. Watford City is being treated as the latest team to be wronged with the move to A, what, next year? Unless there has been a change in the numbers. Ridiculous to have any sympathy for any team that then does this.

Balla said they didn't press in the second half. Did they press the entire first half. Get a 20 point lead, play zone, run the clock, and treat your opponent with some class. If I played for Watford, I'd be embarrassed by what I was a part of.

Maybe we need a rule that, if you beat anyone on your schedule by more than 50, you're automatically classed up to the next class for the post-season as an independent bottom seed. You may hate the rule, but I bet these blowouts would end also.

Oh, here's a third reason in response to your question: Because no one here has had the juevos to call ANYONE out for doing it. Maybe some of you respected B-shot apologists should start calling teams out for it and clean up your game. I would start a thread here called "Thread of Shame" and include an update for every blowout, but the mods would kill it right away. If you look through my original posting, I didn't single out any team. Balla was the first to mention it. Another mod. Nice. Good work.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby balla45 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:29 pm

heimer wrote:16 minutes in the second half.

Use all 30 seconds of the clock each possession.

Maybe 20 possessions.

Shoot 50 percent from the field, no 3's =20 points.

So, you're telling me they had 65 at halftime.

This isn't rocket science, and you're better than that. Don't make excuses for a school obviously pi$$ed off over the shot clock and taking their pound of flesh from another team.

I would never do that if I were coaching in that situation. Does not make my team better. Watford City is a legitimate state title contender.

I am not telling you that they had 65 at half time.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:31 pm

I think you're a bit quick to be jumping to assumptions about WC. Labeling them as being upset about moving up to Class A so taking it out on their opponents? Sure... From everything I've read about WC, then have been straight forward with their enrollment and plan to move to A when the bylaws state just as Beulah did a while ago. And I know you can't tell me anymore than that based on first hand knowledge
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:32 pm

heimer wrote:For two reasons:

1. It's the first one I saw. I saw it in a scoreboard sent to me for other purposes. I did see a 112-50 score by St. Johns on the boys side. That's still not 70 points, but the premise is valid.

2. Watford City is being treated as the latest team to be wronged with the move to A, what, next year? Unless there has been a change in the numbers. Ridiculous to have any sympathy for any team that then does this.

Balla said they didn't press in the second half. Did they press the entire first half. Get a 20 point lead, play zone, run the clock, and treat your opponent with some class. If I played for Watford, I'd be embarrassed by what I was a part of.

Maybe we need a rule that, if you beat anyone on your schedule by more than 50, you're automatically classed up to the next class for the post-season as an independent bottom seed. You may hate the rule, but I bet these blowouts would end also.

Oh, here's a third reason in response to your question: Because no one here has had the juevos to call ANYONE out for doing it. Maybe some of you respected B-shot apologists should start calling teams out for it and clean up your game. I would start a thread here called "Thread of Shame" and include an update for every blowout, but the mods would kill it right away. If you look through my original posting, I didn't single out any team. Balla was the first to mention it. Another mod. Nice. Good work.

You actually did single out a team. It is quite obvious that the game between Watford City and Richardton=Taylor ended with a final score of 85-15.

Yes, I would kill that topic. We already have a topic with all scores from all games.

I may be much different than you, but my philosophy is that you do not play to the level of your competition. It is not Watford City's fault that Richardton-Taylor is a struggling program.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:34 pm

Here is the box score. Looks like WC backed off after the first quarter to me. Only 4 three pointers all night as well.

Watford City 85, Richardton-Taylor 15
WC;29;15;21;20;-;85

R-T;3;6;3;3;-;15

WC (85): Reiann Lindley 18, Ricki Lindley 17, Katie Mogen 16, Mackenzie Sparby 13, Alli Mogen 7, Kaytlyn Grimes 6, Lindsey Peterson 4, Avery Sundeen 2, Krystal Wold 2. Totals 38 5-15 85.

R-T (15): Reagan Olson 4, Tracy Leingang 4, Shelby Floberg 4, Elle Goetz 1, Haylee Leingang 1, player unavailable 1. Totals 5 4-10 15.

3-pointers: WC 4 (Reiann Lindley 2, Ricki Lindley 1, Mogen 1), R-T 1 (Olson 1). Fouls: WC 15, R-T 13. Fouled out: None.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:34 pm

Heimer, please tell me that if you were coaching in a game like this, you would tell your players to play little defense and not make an attempt to score. Then tell me that you think that is going to make your team better in any way.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby heimer » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:38 pm

Its their fault they will continue to struggle.

I guess that's the difference of playing the game for titles instead of playing it for the core reasons of activities.

Class B, where the state tournament means everything. It's not the path, its only the destination.

I would coach as I stated:

20 point lead, relax the press, practice my zone, all of them, run a full offense.

Upside: learn to play multiple defenses, learn to use the shotclock to control a game.

Downside: my players may lose their ability to appear in the school's recordbooks.

Forget the teacher-coach or student-athlete label. Nothing was taught, nor learned, in this game.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby heimer » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:42 pm

Boy, the mods come out when Heimer comes to play. Tells me a little about the site and it's content. You're all pretty committed to the lie.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby Rivershark » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:42 pm

Maybe they should have tied one of their hands behind their back. People need to realize that there are some class B teams that really aren't that good. Unfortunately you have to play them. I just think its ridiculous that players on good teams are told they shouldn't try very hard otherwise they might hurt the feelings of the other team. That's just the way it is.
Rivershark
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby balla45 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:43 pm

I would hate to play for you.

Upside to what you are doing is that the players on the other team feel good about themselves. In a game where you are playing against a team that has no chance to score against you and has no chance to stop you, your offense will consistently work and any defense you run will work.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:43 pm

heimer wrote:Boy, the mods come out when Heimer comes to play. Tells me a little about the site and it's content. You're all pretty committed to the lie.

Which lie are you referring to?

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:49 pm

I'm pretty sure heimer just woke up today and said I'm going to get this class A/class B pot stirred. Posted stuff about VC in district 5 in the boys' thread, too.

RT only scored 15 against Wilton/Wing, too. Better get on that team as well for not letting them score. Nedrose has lost games by the following scores...78-21, 59-17, 75-14, and 69-17. Where's the outrage there? H-CV has only scored 19 and 25 points in two 40+ blowout losses. Dunseith has wins of 65-15 and 78-21 and they still haven't played two very weak teams in their own district. But none of these facts support heimer's argument...
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby heimer » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:52 pm

I would hate to play for you.

There's no benefit to running zone or learning to execute an 8-second offense? Where did you coach in college again? Ask any college coach about the benefits of these strategies, and I think you'll find they want their teams to have these tools.

If you want to go out for blood every night, be my guest. When you drive 30 teams into the ground and end up in 100-mile co-ops like football (round trip) is now, you'll have only yourself to blame.

I saw this in wrestling once. Kindred was on the brink of folding, set to wrestle Oakes. Kindred felt they couldn't take a drubbing or they'd lose kids. Oakes wrestled their JV against Kindred's varsity, with a gentlemen's agreement between coaches that, should the dual be close, Kindred forfeits at 275, so Oakes' record would remain intact.

Worked just fine, Kindred's team survived. The #1 complaint from parents: What if my little Johnny misses his chance to hold the takedown record or wins record in school history.

Tells me about what really matters in games like this. It's all about parents living life through their kids to get a last name on a wall, and the coaches who enable it. Then the apologists follow with "level of competition" and "schedule" and "getting better" crap excuses.

If the losing team is as bad as you say it is, the winner never gets better, no matter the score, so don't hide behind that lame piece of crap excuse.

Where they can get better is the 8-second offense, which is an art in and of itself and wins games, and learning to win with class. They are the only lessons that can be taught in this situation. They were obviously not taught in this case. Teachable moment missed.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:57 pm

heimer wrote:Where they can get better is the 8-second offense, which is an art in and of itself and wins games, and learning to win with class. They are the only lessons that can be taught in this situation. They were obviously not taught in this case. Teachable moment missed.

And how exactly do you know this to be true? You've already stated you weren't at the game. You have no idea what the coach said or did. All you have is a final score. It is not hard to score 8-10 baskets in a quarter by running completely through an offense and holding back on defense just a bit. But some teams are just not that good and can easily turn the ball over to the other team with very little pressure on them.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:04 pm

heimer wrote:I would hate to play for you.

There's no benefit to running zone or learning to execute an 8-second offense? Where did you coach in college again? Ask any college coach about the benefits of these strategies, and I think you'll find they want their teams to have these tools.

Lol where did you coach at in college and how successful were you?

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:06 pm

Contradicting yourself completely here. There is definitely a benefit in being able to score in 8 seconds. How can you work on scoring in 8 seconds when you are burning the entire clock for half of the game?

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:08 pm

I saw this in wrestling once. Kindred was on the brink of folding, set to wrestle Oakes. Kindred felt they couldn't take a drubbing or they'd lose kids. Oakes wrestled their JV against Kindred's varsity, with a gentlemen's agreement between coaches that, should the dual be close, Kindred forfeits at 275, so Oakes' record would remain intact.

Worked just fine, Kindred's team survived. The #1 complaint from parents: What if my little Johnny misses his chance to hold the takedown record or wins record in school history.

I do not see how this is remotely relevant to this discussion. Please elaborate on it if it is.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:11 pm

If the losing team is as bad as you say it is, the winner never gets better, no matter the score, so don't hide behind that lame piece of crap excuse.

I agree. The winner does not get better. If I am the coach of the team who is winning, I going to do what I can to make sure my team does not get worse. My teams gets worse if I tell my players not to play defense. My team gets worse if I tell my players that we are not going to score. My team gets worse if my players do not play hard. My players lose respect for me if I am the one telling them that we will not be playing defense, looking to score, or playing hard.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby heimer » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:23 pm

Zones are not defense?
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby balla45 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:24 pm

Zones are defense. In a game where you are playing against a struggling team, and you are adamant about not looking like you are trying run the score up, how can you play any type of pressure zone defense?

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:27 pm

The reason I think this entire discussion is stupid. I watched Century boys beat Mandan boys 94-44. I can not imagine many people left that game thinking, wow Century is so mean for playing pressure defense the entire game. I can imagine that many people left that game thinking, wow Mandan needs to get better. It seems that this is where you and I have a fundamental difference in how we think about basketball and competition.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to Girls