halfs instead of quarters

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

halfs instead of quarters

Postby ReadyToPlay » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:22 pm

I went to a ballgame the other night with the new 2 halves instead of the 4 quarters. I have been to many college games in which they of course use the 2 halves system for many years know, but with high school basketball, I am so used to the quarter breaks, it was just kind of weird. Most of these players are no where near the athletic condition of a college athlete, the dedication, or the ability of a college player, yet they are supposed to try to accomplish this daunting task. Yes, if you are the BIG schools, you can probably pull it off somewhat with a little more depth but they still are not collegized yet. Some may say that they have to start sometime and I say this may be, but as the situations go, they are still teammates with freshman, sophomore, and juniors, that are expected to keep up the pace with the stud, but even the stud has a big eye opening when they enter the land of the giants. Another aspect I think that is missing from not having quarter breaks, is the teaching aspect by the coaches to get the team disciplined in a clock situation, not usually crucial at every quarter, but does give them the practice of patience and calmness of when it does come down to the end of the game and it is close, then if tied, goes to OT and again they can draw somewhat on their clock experiences once again. These kids need to handle this and need to practice these fundamentals of basketball, which by the way, includes a little bit a ball handling to boot. They freak out enough when there is ten seconds left and often just shoot the ball from the half line with 5 seconds left and air ball it. Then they look at the coach with glassy eyes and say "somebody told me to shoot it!" I say let the coaches have 4 quarters back, teach them situations, and quit trying to push the kids into something they cannot handle without the proper repetition in a game situation. Doing it at practice will not do it because there are no screaming fans there to panic them! So this is my observation, maybe some of you agree or not, but hopefully this may have gotten the ball rolling...which also reminds me that this is also something that could be practiced with quarters--- rolling the ball as clock doesn't start until touched.
Don't butcher me, please just interact .....
ReadyToPlay
NDPreps Starter

Re: halfs instead of quarters

Postby d_fense » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:01 pm

ReadyToPlay wrote:I went to a ballgame the other night with the new 2 halves instead of the 4 quarters. I have been to many college games in which they of course use the 2 halves system for many years know, but with high school basketball, I am so used to the quarter breaks, it was just kind of weird. Most of these players are no where near the athletic condition of a college athlete, the dedication, or the ability of a college player, yet they are supposed to try to accomplish this daunting task. Yes, if you are the BIG schools, you can probably pull it off somewhat with a little more depth but they still are not collegized yet. Some may say that they have to start sometime and I say this may be, but as the situations go, they are still teammates with freshman, sophomore, and juniors, that are expected to keep up the pace with the stud, but even the stud has a big eye opening when they enter the land of the giants. Another aspect I think that is missing from not having quarter breaks, is the teaching aspect by the coaches to get the team disciplined in a clock situation, not usually crucial at every quarter, but does give them the practice of patience and calmness of when it does come down to the end of the game and it is close, then if tied, goes to OT and again they can draw somewhat on their clock experiences once again. These kids need to handle this and need to practice these fundamentals of basketball, which by the way, includes a little bit a ball handling to boot. They freak out enough when there is ten seconds left and often just shoot the ball from the half line with 5 seconds left and air ball it. Then they look at the coach with glassy eyes and say "somebody told me to shoot it!" I say let the coaches have 4 quarters back, teach them situations, and quit trying to push the kids into something they cannot handle without the proper repetition in a game situation. Doing it at practice will not do it because there are no screaming fans there to panic them! So this is my observation, maybe some of you agree or not, but hopefully this may have gotten the ball rolling...which also reminds me that this is also something that could be practiced with quarters--- rolling the ball as clock doesn't start until touched.
Don't butcher me, please just interact .....

First off, I didn't know that they did away with quarters. To witch I say, "It's about time!!!" They have been playing halves in Minnesota high school ball for, I'm guessing 10 years now. It has went over well over there. I don't agree with your agreement about high school kids not being in "athletic condition" to play halves. They are high school kids. Conditioning shouldn't be an issue. Most people are never in better shape than they are when they are in high school. People do get stronger physically when they get out of high school, but cardiovascular wise, they should be fine. Regarding loosing end of quarter situations which limit players experience with end of clock situations.... With the shot clock, there are more end of clock situations than there ever were in the past in North Dakota.

Personally I would like to see class B follow suit with Class A, and the state of Minnesota and play 18 minute halves.

It is natural to not like change (in most areas I hate it, still waiting for girls bball to go back to the fall). But, remember it can always be switched back if needed.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby ReadyToPlay » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:08 pm

The game I went to was a girls b game in which it was not a regional game so maybe they just played the two halves because they agreed amongst themselves? If so, "my bad" for I am not around the new rules everyday so just accepted it as gospel but I understand things will change from year to year, similar to this whole district, super regional ordeal that is so inconsistent among the schools. And don't forget about the new 4' arc under the basket where an offensive player can completely bulldoze the defensive player that is in the arc and not be called for an offensive foul but I can only assume that this will pertain to a layup where the defensive player would step under an offensive player that has already left his feet? I am sure when this situation arrives, which will be somewhat of an officials perception, there will be a few upset coaches that will get a T. On the girl fall basketball season, yes it would be great, but volleyball is getting very popular in this time slot and the longer it is situated in this slot, the harder it will be to make an overhaul. The boys and girls basketball thing is also staying popular because of the double header nights if the school hosting can accommodate. I hate to say it, but no many people are going to go to a single volleyball game when it is -20 zero..
ReadyToPlay
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:21 pm

In Non-Region games, if both teams agree...they are allowed to play halves!
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby scoobyx2 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:03 am

I would love to see Class B switch to halves. If Class A 7th graders can play halves, then Class B varsity teams should be able to also. There were many critics to the shot clock, but that aspect has greatly improved the game especially for the girls. Going to halves would minimize playing the clock so much and would cut down the amount of talking coaches can do with the clock stopped. I understand that learning is important, but it slows down the pace of the game.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Hinsa » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:11 pm

The obvious question is: If halves are better than quarters, why did the college women's game go BACK to quarters?
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:37 pm

I think high school should stay with quarters as well. Gives more time for instruction/coaching to have those two extra breaks. And with the shot clock now, stalling is not an issue at the end of each quarter.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:02 pm

I coached with halves for 10 years and I like halves better. I like that the games are longer and I think the flow is better too, but I think quarters are better for Class B girls basketball.

When you play quarters it gives coaches between the varsity and JV game a lot of flexibility. With halves your flexibility is very limited. If you have a girl that you are depending on for varsity and you play halves you have two options for her JV game. Either she plays in the 1st half or the 2nd half. Now if you play quarters you have some options. The biggest thing is the ability to play 3 quarters of varsity and JV. Now this isn't a big deal IF you have the numbers, like the schools that are playing AA FB :D but a lot schools don't. Trying to put together a varsity and JV game with 12-15 players is easier to do playing quarters.

Having to be better conditioned isn't a factor IMO. I'd be all for 9 minute quarters.

ndlionsfan wrote:I think high school should stay with quarters as well. Gives more time for instruction/coaching to have those two extra breaks.

Personally, I don't think an extra 90 seconds of instruction/coaching makes much of a difference. Get your coaching done in your hours worth of practices you have.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby d_fense » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:32 pm

I basically agree with everything Flip wrote. But, remember the only reason we are allowed to play 6 quarters instead of the 5 that was in place for as long as I can remember, is to make it equal to what is allowed for players that play halves. If Class B doesn't move to halves, they should play 9 minute quarters.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:49 pm

Flip wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:I think high school should stay with quarters as well. Gives more time for instruction/coaching to have those two extra breaks.

Personally, I don't think an extra 90 seconds of instruction/coaching makes much of a difference. Get your coaching done in your hours worth of practices you have.

But to be able to coach real game situations is completely different than game scenarios in an controlled environment in practice.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby d_fense » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:50 pm

You can do things to more closely simulate game situations in practice. And teams that are coached up well don't need time outs as much because different scenarios are played out in practice and prepared for in advance.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:01 pm

Guess you guys are better coaches than I ever was then. If my team is going varsity vs varsity (not against their own jv team in which their confidence is much higher) in a game that is back and forth, pressing, turnovers, crowd is really into it, etc., etc., etc. having two more stops in action to help my team learn is pretty important to me. Yes it is different if you have an experienced team that has been in those situations before or if you have enough numbers to play seniors and juniors in 5 vs 5 in practice instead of juniors/seniors vs 8th/freshmen, but that is more the exception than the rule in ND Class B bball especially on the girls' side.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:06 pm

There are some situations you face in games that you can't simulate in practice. I am a fan of quarters instead of the 2 half idea.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:28 pm

ndlionsfan, would you prefer eight four minute periods over quarters?

ndlionsfan wrote:Guess you guys are better coaches than I ever was then.

The opposite. If you never know what to say you don't want breaks.

You can always use TOs too. It's not often a coach uses all 5 TOs in a game. I'd guess more TOs get callled using halves than quarters.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:09 pm

Flip wrote:ndlionsfan, would you prefer eight four minute periods over quarters?

ndlionsfan wrote:Guess you guys are better coaches than I ever was then.

The opposite. If you never know what to say you don't want breaks.

You can always use TOs too. It's not often a coach uses all 5 TOs in a game. I'd guess more TOs get callled using halves than quarters.

Guess I'm not sure what you're trying to say here, but I coached for 5 years and had many teams that were not very good. I used every opportunity to coach and teach those kids that I could. Rarely ever left a timeout unused during a game. If we were down 25 points in the 4th quarter and I had a timeout left and saw something I didn't like, I'd call the timeout and instruct the kids the proper way. Other coaches and fans may not have liked it or agreed with it, but you don't let a teachable moment go by. So if I were still coaching and it went to halves, I would go from 8 of those down to 6 and I wouldn't like it and I think it would hurt more teams than you realize.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Return to Girls