Fighting Hawks

No smack talk is allowed here.

Fighting Hawks

Postby gobison#6 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:38 pm

With the news breaking this morning that UND is going with Fighting Hawks as the new mascot in Grand Forks, what are your thoughts? Personally I think this mascot works best for keeping colors and creating a mascot or logo that could be somewhat similar to the Fighting Sioux logo.
Hail the Bison!
gobison#6
NDPreps All-State

Re: Fighting Hawks

Postby go maji » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:08 pm

Honestly, I want to know how they came up with that name. Because it sounds pretty cheesy.

If I went to that school, I wouldn't want to be called that.
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby gobison#6 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:23 am

It seems most schools that have to go through the name changes mandated by the NCAA choose some type of Hawk. Not a unique name, but a new one. I'm glad the situation will be fully settled once they get the logo designed, but I'm still going to call them the Sioux.
Hail the Bison!
gobison#6
NDPreps All-State

Postby ReadyToPlay » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:23 pm

On the subject of UND choosing a new nickname, I do not understand what a Hawk has to do with fighting. Any hawk I ever saw was scooping down for mice in a plowed field or pecking at road kill. I do not know why they couldn't have gone with something on the order of Fighting Chiefs, and the same logo could have been maintained. The word chief has been used in different titles as Chief Executive Officer, Chief Petty Officer, Chief bottle washer, etc. so no, it is not owned by the Native Americans. The only people that would have a problem with that are the ones that make it an issue in their mind. The Sioux are a tribe, but a chief is nothing more than the above mentioned. Go Fighting Chiefs!
ReadyToPlay
NDPreps Starter

Postby hockeynut » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:34 am

Got to meet Coach Berry today as my peewee team played his sons and Dane Jackson sons team. What a class act. We lost 4-3 but he congratulated us coaches afterwards and said it’s nice to see coaches with passion for the game. Told him thanks and good luck in Denver. Just a great guy. UND is lucky to have him
hockeynut
NDPreps All-Conference

Return to North Dakota's Universities and Colleges