What are the historically strong teams of 9-man football?

The teams in 9 Man

What are the historically strong teams of 9-man football?

Postby HammerTime » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:46 am

Just curious, because everyone has their own opinions. And the number of teams changes from year to year. Out of the teams currently in this division, who is historically more successful?
HammerTime
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: What are the historically strong teams of 9-man football

Postby Bigbrew22 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:23 pm

Hard to answer since co-ops change but the obvious ones to me is Napoleon, Linton, Strasburg/Zeeland all in the same region and have all seen a few championship games. Also it seems anywhere regent goes as far as a co-op the team is historically tough. TGU is consistently a good team. I'm sure there are many more consistantly strong teams every year while many only have a couple good years every decade. But the teams I mentioned stand out in my memory.
Bigbrew22
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:58 pm

Napoleon, Linton, Strasburg/Zeeland & Shiloh...Region 3 has some really strong teams in it with a rich history (Shiloh's is newer).
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Sorenson23 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:44 am

I agree with all these teams Napoleon, Linton, Strasburg-Zeeland, Shiloh. But i know Region 3 has some very tough teams. But one other team i think should be mentioned is. The Central McLean Cougars i know the last two years weren't great but before Central McLean moved to 11 man. They've been really tough in 9 Man they've been a co-op since 2007. A region title in 2008 and they've only missed the playoffs three times 2010,2013,and 2014. They made it to the quarterfinals four years in a row. Losing to Divide County, Williams County, TGU, and North Star. They've been in the 9 man state rankings numerous times. And now that Central McLean is back in 9 man i think they could compete with these teams for a playoff spot.

Other notable 9 man teams that have been tough for a while: Divide County, Mott-Regent, Cavalier.

Note: Mott-Regent hasn't been good for awhile before they went downhill they were really tough. But now i think they could compete in Region 5 with New Salem, R-T-H, and New Salem-GU.
Last edited by Sorenson23 on Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sorenson23
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:56 am

Central McLean, maybe, but Turtle Lake/Mercer had a lot of good teams back in the day as well.

Teams that always seem to be in the playoffs are Divide County and Napolean, along with Linton and Cavalier when they've been in 9man. Like someone said before, wherever Regent seems to go there has been a lot of football success. Other teams that have had a lot of success TGU, Wyndmere-Lidgerwood and Edgeley-Kulm.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sniper » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:30 pm

New England had a stretch of tough teams when they were in a co-op with Regent.
Sniper
NDPreps All-State

Postby Bigbrew22 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:10 am

ndlionsfan wrote:Central McLean, maybe, but Turtle Lake/Mercer had a lot of good teams back in the day as well.

Teams that always seem to be in the playoffs are Divide County and Napolean, along with Linton and Cavalier when they've been in 9man. Like someone said before, wherever Regent seems to go there has been a lot of football success. Other teams that have had a lot of success TGU, Wyndmere-Lidgerwood and Edgeley-Kulm.
For that matter Underwood/Riverdale had some good teams as well ( late 80s thru 90s) now with the co-op of central McLean there's been a few good years and a few bad.
Bigbrew22
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sorenson23 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:45 pm

But if Central McLean can beat Shiloh, Strasburg-Zeeland, and Linton-HMB but that's a big if they could be in good shape come playoff time. Cause we're in a playoff drought haven't been to the playoffs since 2012. Because Underwood-Turtle Lake-Mercer hasn't played Strasburg and Linton for quite sometime. Can't wait to play them should be some good games. I know Linton and Strasburg back in the day have had their number with Underwood and Turtle Lake but since the co-op that could possibly change. But they know Shiloh Christian real good before we left 9 man couple years ago to join Class A we were in the same region as Shiloh they beat us once and we beat them once. Cause we only played Shiloh Christian twice as a co-op. Like i said every since we've co-op we've been good yeah a few bad years but since then Shiloh Christian's been good. Maybe we haven't been to the 9 Man title game but we're just as good as Shiloh is. All in all if the Cougars can win a state title or two whenever that is i think they should be considered in the conversation as one of the strong teams in 9 man football.
Sorenson23
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Bigbrew22 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:13 am

Central McLean will make playoffs this year but unfortunately it will be a 4th seed and first game will be against Thompson or cavalier. They come in behind Napoleon because of the loss to them but those two teams were very evenly matched.
My prediction
1. Shilo
2. S/Z
3. Napoleon
4. C/M
5. Linton
6. S/B
7. K/C
8. C/S
Bigbrew22
NDPreps Starter

Postby Bacon » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:44 am

Shiloh is very far from what I would consider a class B 9-man school. When you can draw kids from a 70,000 population city and every other team draws from 700, I would call that an advantage. They just have to limit enrollment to stay class B and they are golden. I'm sure some on here will defend them, but to say that they don't have a large advantage is just not looking at the facts. It would be like Century limiting enrollment and playing class B.
Bacon
NDPreps Starter

Postby Bigbrew22 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:29 pm

Bacon wrote:Shiloh is very far from what I would consider a class B 9-man school. When you can draw kids from a 70,000 population city and every other team draws from 700, I would call that an advantage. They just have to limit enrollment to stay class B and they are golden. I'm sure some on here will defend them, but to say that they don't have a large advantage is just not looking at the facts. It would be like Century limiting enrollment and playing class B.

Couldn't agree more
Bigbrew22
NDPreps Starter

Postby bulldog_power » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:11 pm

Bacon wrote:Shiloh is very far from what I would consider a class B 9-man school. When you can draw kids from a 70,000 population city and every other team draws from 700, I would call that an advantage. They just have to limit enrollment to stay class B and they are golden. I'm sure some on here will defend them, but to say that they don't have a large advantage is just not looking at the facts. It would be like Century limiting enrollment and playing class B.

First off I don't know if I think Shiloh belongs in this conversation as they haven't had football for that long so to put them in a historically good conversation is a little premature. I do think the above statement is one of the dumbest I have seen. Yes it's true they are in bismarck which is no different that any other private school in the state, they are all in the bigger towns. You make it sound as if everything they do is based around sports, which anyone with an educational background would tell you is so far from the truth about schools. Are schools very passionate about there sports.... Yes, but that's almost all schools. Again, I don't think Shiloh belongs in this conversation because they haven't had football that long, I'd guess 10-20 years and have only been good these last few. So let's give their kids some credit, they have put together Some nice seasons, but have a long way to go before I will put them into a historically good category or even a every year contender category.
bulldog_power
NDPreps Starter

Postby Bigbrew22 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:47 pm

Anyone with an educational background will be able to do the simple math it take to say private schools like Shilo have an advantage due to the potential player pool. Oak Grove basketball a year or two ago had a class A ball player transfer to them cause he was young and had a better chance to shine on the class B circuit which is ok with me but a perfect example of prime player coming from a larger pool while most true class B town can only play with the kids they have be it good or be it bad. Private schools don't always win championships by no means which is good or this would be a much more heated debate. BUT! They do seem to beat the hope out of a lot of towns who would have normally been hopeful for there team once every few years. Honestly I think a lot of them are playing for second place in region that would be a slight victory. Anyway I may be wrong on some points but the fact they have more talent to choose from is the absolute truth any educated person would know.
Last edited by Bigbrew22 on Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bigbrew22
NDPreps Starter

Postby Bigbrew22 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:01 pm

Furthermore I am not against these schools being class B even if it's frustrating. It just means the true class B schools have to step it up I guess, easier said than done but when they do school pride is thru the roof.
Bigbrew22
NDPreps Starter

Postby bulldog_power » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:47 am

I think your right that those schools have a potentially larger pool of kids, but the difference is families have to be willing to send there kids there. Those schools don't get to "choose" anyone and a kid can't transfer there after they have started high school without having to sit out a school year unless their family is moving to town from a different place. It would be one thing if those schools could just choose who they wanted to come, but at least Other class B schools get Every kid in town to come through their school. Also, just like all schools at any level I am sure that the private schools have good and ba players as well. In our state this will probably always be the case as I don't think our population will get to the point schools will be able to cut bad players anytime soon. There are always Interesting thoughts and opinions when it comes to the private schools.
bulldog_power
NDPreps Starter

Postby Bigbrew22 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:30 pm

But would a transfer from Century have to sit out a year if they decided to go to Shilo. Assuming the parents already live in Bismarck. I don't know but I wouldn't think they'd have to sit a year?
Bigbrew22
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:03 pm

Bigbrew22 wrote:But would a transfer from Century have to sit out a year if they decided to go to Shilo. Assuming the parents already live in Bismarck. I don't know but I wouldn't think they'd have to sit a year?

Yes any transfer in high school results in sitting out a year
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bigbrew22 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:46 pm

Ok Maybe I shouldn't have said transfer. I'll try again what if the player decided to enroll in Shilo at the beginning of the new year and they live in Bis. Would that be considered a transfer? Or is a transfer switching schools during the year?
Bigbrew22
NDPreps Starter

Postby d_fense » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:10 pm

Bigbrew22 wrote:Ok Maybe I shouldn't have said transfer. I'll try again what if the player decided to enroll in Shilo at the beginning of the new year and they live in Bis. Would that be considered a transfer? Or is a transfer switching schools during the year?

They have to sit out for the full year even if they transfer at the beginning of a school year. With the exception of their freshman year. The freshman year is an exception because they have not established a high school until they attend the first day of class as a freshman.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby Bigbrew22 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:15 am

I have to say the above post I made about the class A player transfer to Oak Grove is not accurate I've been informed he did not transfer but started his freshman year there I will hesitate to use any examples without full knowledge in the future. With that being said the situation still proves there is an advantage for private schools because of the size of the cities they reside in. That's all I was trying to say.
Bigbrew22
NDPreps Starter

Postby NoDakinSouth » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:39 am

Private schools do well because their parents put a premium on their child's performance in schools, paying for tuition and camps. Many of the "normal" Class B schools have a majority of parents that aren't involved in their child's education or extracurricular activities. Private schools have parents that are very involved by definition.

With the rules and penalties against recruiting, it doesn't enter into the equation except at a young age and doesn't generally effect elite athletes.
NoDakinSouth
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Bigbrew22 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:34 am

EXACTLY!!!!!! Now u just got into demographics and the diversity that TRUE class B schools are made of!
We have parents that are very involved. Some that aren't. Most that make high income likely farm and also highly likely have involved parents BUT! Those kids grow up helping on a farm and don't have access to YMCA 2 minutes from their house. They shoot hoops in the driveway when they can to improve their skills. That's a far cry from a YMCA summer league practice 3 times a week. Then we have the simple working people that do their best to be involved and practice with their kids at the park every chance they get wich is good BUT also a far cry from a YMCA summer league. Lastly we have the kids who's parents care greatly for their children's wellbeing and want them to succeed but may not know how to always help them or really Push them. Some parents may make some really poor decisions BUT those kids are all part of a team... A mixed bag so to say.
And we make do with what we've got. While in a city private school setting you completely nailed it you pay to send your kid to a certain school for whatever reason. And that could be a better education, better teacher student relationship, better atmosphere, better chance your kid sees playing time on a team or they might be a second stringer their whole high school career. Regardless of the reason to which you payed money to send your child to a certain school the fact is you have an advantage over TRUE class B schools because the odds of private schools filling a roster with above average players is higher because of your proximity to more potential talent.
You are absolutely right about parents being involved but let's face it from there to here is two different worlds And if us common folk want to compete....I guess we need to be better parents?
Bigbrew22
NDPreps Starter

Postby classB4ever » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:43 pm

NoDakinSouth wrote:Private schools do well because their parents put a premium on their child's performance in schools, paying for tuition and camps. Many of the "normal" Class B schools have a majority of parents that aren't involved in their child's education or extracurricular activities. Private schools have parents that are very involved by definition.

With the rules and penalties against recruiting, it doesn't enter into the equation except at a young age and doesn't generally effect elite athletes.

Referring to the above bold statement: Could you supply where you got that information from? Thank you.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby d_fense » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:14 pm

classB4ever wrote:
NoDakinSouth wrote:Private schools do well because their parents put a premium on their child's performance in schools, paying for tuition and camps. Many of the "normal" Class B schools have a majority of parents that aren't involved in their child's education or extracurricular activities. Private schools have parents that are very involved by definition.

Referring to the above bold statement: Could you supply where you got that information from? Thank you.

Really??? To me that is like asking someone to site their source when they say "Traffic sure picks up at the start of a long weekend heading towards the lakes."

I think it is common sense. Ask someone who is in public education (a teacher) how often parents contact them with comments, questions, and or concerns regarding their students education. And as the students get older (after elementary school) is gets less and less quickly. What percent of high school parents speak to each of their children's teachers outside of parent teacher conferences even quarterly? Would it surprise you if only around 1/2 of parents attend their high school students parent teachers conferences. And I believe most schools only hold them twice a school year.

Your bolding went beyond the classroom and included extra curricular activities as well. What percentage of high school or jr high volleyball players have had their mothers set, bump, and dig a volleyball with them in the last 60 days? I don't know the answer, but I would guess it would be less than10% I'd actually put a lot of money on that. What percentage of fathers have played catch with their high school football players, ran routes, or worked on footwork with their sons? Once again, I don't know the answer, but I'm guessing that number would be pretty low.

Why do you think most schools require elementary students to have daily planners? Part of it is to help organize the students. But, a big part of the "planner movement" was to engage parents in their students education by at the minimum having them sign a planner 5 days a week. And hopefully engaging them to ask questions of their children and provide a form for them to communicate with instructors as well.

I don't think the point of the poster, was to say that Class B Parents suk. I don't think anyone believes that. I do believe what they are speaking to is private schools (on average) have better (more is better) participation of parents with their children's education. People, nearly all people, tend to pay attention to things that they spend their money on. If you are writing a check for tuition, you are more likely to keep your eyes on what that check is getting you.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby bulldog_power » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:58 pm

I think parents are involve at both private and public schools and
There are parents that aren't at both schools. The facts are the schools are placed in their respective dvisions by using enrollment numbers like it is for every sport regardless of private or public and that is the fairest way to do it regardless of where they are located. So even though the town might have more people it is the amount of students enrolled at the schools that matter. Truth is that for all the B schools success is mostly a revolving door. They have a few good years followed by a few bad ones. Very few B schools stay successful almost every year. And those schools are the ones this thread was meant to talk about.
bulldog_power
NDPreps Starter

Next

Return to 9 - Man