Legion Baseball 2015 Regions

Legion Baseball 2015 Regions

Postby pakkyzoo » Tue May 19, 2015 10:17 am

I know there has been a few new teams added to this years legion regions. I also heard a couple teams have been moved regions. I will post the regions as they are made available. Also hearing that Saskatchewan teams will be added to North Dakota Legion baseball this year and next year.

Class B
Northeast Region
1. Cando
2. Harvey
3. Langdon
4. Larimore
5. Minto
6. Nelson County
7. Park River
8. Thompson

Central Region
1. Carrington
2. Gardner
3. Harwood
4. Hatton
5. Hillsboro-Central Valley
6. Hope-Finley
7. Mayville
8. New Rockford

Southeast Region
1. Enderlin
2. Ellendale
3. Fairmount-Hankinson
4. Galchutt
5. Kindred
6. LaMoure
7. Lidgerwood
8. Lisbon
9. Oakes
10. Wishek

West Region
1. Bismarck Capitals
2. Burlington
3. Crosby
4. Garrisom
5. Hazen
6. Hettinger
7. Kidder County
8. Renville County
9. Stanley
10. Surrey

Class A
East Region
1. Bottineau
2. Casselton
3. Devils Lake
4. Grafton
5. Valley City
6. Wahpeton

West Region
1. Beulah
2. Makoti
3. Washburn
4. Watford City
5. Velva
6. Spot will filled with Canadian team at West Region Tournament.
Last edited by pakkyzoo on Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State

Re: Legion Baseball 2015 Regions

Postby GoPack#2 » Thu May 21, 2015 8:53 pm

Class A East Region
Bottineau
Casselton
Devils Lake
Grafton
Valley City
Wahpeton
"Give them nothing but take from them everything"
GoPack#2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby GoPack#2 » Thu May 21, 2015 9:14 pm

Can not believe how screwed up American Legion baseball has become in North Dakota.
GoPack#2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bant325 » Thu May 21, 2015 11:29 pm

I vote we extend the high school season and shorten the legion season. Legion baseball is dying and the ones running things from the state level are going to run it into the ground. Technically 4 levels in ND??? Come-on man!
If winning isn't everything...why keep score!
bant325
NDPreps Reserve

Postby NDPREP » Fri May 22, 2015 7:49 am

Class A East Region
Bottineau
Casselton
Devils Lake
Grafton
Valley City
Wahpeton

Bottineau was in the west last year, who takes their place out west?
NDPREP
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby pakkyzoo » Fri May 22, 2015 8:38 am

bant325 wrote:I vote we extend the high school season and shorten the legion season. Legion baseball is dying and the ones running things from the state level are going to run it into the ground. Technically 4 levels in ND??? Come-on man!

I don't disagree with you that there should only be two classes. But the number of teams have grown from 64 to 70 this year. Sounds like there will be more next year.

Also I heard the new Bismarck team is playing A in the west. Was told they are sponsored by Shiloh, could of played B, but petitioned up to A.
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State

Postby PancakeBlockin » Fri May 22, 2015 10:52 am

This really is stupid does anyone in the state office own a road map the class a east region is ridiculous and its going to make Legion programs die you cant have kids on the road all the way from Bottineau to Casselton or Whapeton on a week day when most of the kids are working summer jobs and getting home at 2 or 3am from a road trip this is dumb. Bottineau to Whapeton 5hrs. Bottineau to Casselton 4 1/2hrs. Bottineau to Valley City 4hrs. smart thinking when they pass a dozen towns they could of played on the way to those towns. It needs to go back to the way it was 2yrs. ago.
PancakeBlockin
NDPreps Reserve

Postby GoPack#2 » Fri May 22, 2015 11:29 pm

pakkyzoo wrote:
bant325 wrote:I vote we extend the high school season and shorten the legion season. Legion baseball is dying and the ones running things from the state level are going to run it into the ground. Technically 4 levels in ND??? Come-on man!

I don't disagree with you that there should only be two classes. But the number of teams have grown from 64 to 70 this year. Sounds like there will be more next year.

Also I heard the new Bismarck team is playing A in the west. Was told they are sponsored by Shiloh, could of played B, but petitioned up to A.

Is there a website where all the teams are listed?
GoPack#2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby pakkyzoo » Sat May 23, 2015 9:40 am

Here is last year's page. They said it would be updated after the state meeting but hasn't. I know there is 10 teams in both the Southeast Region and West Region this year just not sure which ones.

http://www.ndlegion.org/programs/baseballathletic/
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State

Postby lovwatchingsports » Sat May 23, 2015 2:56 pm

pakkyzoo wrote:

Should not be allowed to play B or A.
lovwatchingsports
NDPreps All-State

Postby Pit Bull » Sun May 24, 2015 5:53 pm

lovwatchingsports wrote:
pakkyzoo wrote:

What team are you referring to? If it's the new legion team in Bismarck, then why shouldn't they be playing A? My guess is their team will consist of Shiloh players and possibly a few other players. The best players in Bismarck will still be playing in AA or the teams leading up to AA, (that goes for Shiloh's best players). Shiloh took 4th in Regional tournament against A schools and will not have all their starters. So I think B would be would be a good place to start. I'm sure they opted up for the competition and less roads to travel. My prediction is they will finish around .500 or a few games under.
Pit Bull
NDPreps Starter

Postby lovwatchingsports » Mon May 25, 2015 11:09 am

Pit Bull wrote:
lovwatchingsports wrote:
pakkyzoo wrote:

What team are you referring to? If it's the new legion team in Bismarck, then why shouldn't they be playing A? My guess is their team will consist of Shiloh players and possibly a few other players. The best players in Bismarck will still be playing in AA or the teams leading up to AA, (that goes for Shiloh's best players). Shiloh took 4th in Regional tournament against A schools and will not have all their starters. So I think B would be would be a good place to start. I'm sure they opted up for the competition and less roads to travel. My prediction is they will finish around .500 or a few games under.

You can not state that you know all the best players are going to play on the AA team. You do not know for sure. They should, but maybe not. If it was only the Shiloh players OK otherwise they are in a AA town. Go play AAU. Leave small town division to small towns.
lovwatchingsports
NDPreps All-State

Postby pakkyzoo » Mon May 25, 2015 11:26 am

lovwatchingsports wrote:
Pit Bull wrote:
lovwatchingsports wrote:
pakkyzoo wrote:

You can not state that you know all the best players are going to play on the AA team. You do not know for sure. They should, but maybe not. If it was only the Shiloh players OK otherwise they are in a AA town. Go play AAU. Leave small town division to small towns.

The rules state that you must add the enrollment of the high schools that make up your team. So if there are members on the team from other Bismarck high schools next season they should go AA. But I've seen this rule overlooked. For example, Harwoods legion team is made up of West Fargo and Northern Cass high school kids, but yet they stay B. West Fargo's enrollment should qualify Harwood as AA.

Also to the guy complaining about Bottineau having to drive to Wahpeton or Casselton. What a about Hettinger having to drive to Crosby, Renville County, Stanley, Surrey, and Butlington.

What I'm saying is there's not perfect solution to North Dakota Legion Baseball. This is the last year of the two year proposal for the three class system. Travel is an issue at all three levels of our legion classes.
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State

Postby go maji » Mon May 25, 2015 4:53 pm

It seems like one of these arguments pops up every week. :?
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby pakkyzoo » Tue May 26, 2015 1:42 pm

go maji wrote:It seems like one of these arguments pops up every week. :?

Don't think anyones arguing. Just think it's topic that there's no efficent solution too.
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State

Postby pakkyzoo » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:45 pm

Updated the regions.
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State

Postby B-oldtimer » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:04 pm

I was just looking and being from Northeast Region I was just wondering how they choose putting Harvey in the Northeast region for this year. It seems to me they should be in the central region not North East there are several teams that fit more in Northeast region like Hatton/Northwood, Hillsboro/central valley, and even Mayville or New Rockford would be closer. Harvey is minimum of 140 miles or more for Thompson, Larimore, Park River, Langdon, and Minto. Harvey closest competitors will be Cando at 85 miles and Nelson county at 87 miles. This seems odd when if they were in the centeral region they would have had Carrington and New Rockford at least fairly close to compete with and no further with the rest of teams in that region compared to Northeast region. I think there has been some politics gone into this trying to balance the region based how these towns had done in high school season. The high school season is made up of different teams and now when we get to Legion season a lot of teams are made up several high school teams. Legion teams here in North East are made up several high school teams for each of the teams competing its not same team that these towns had for high school season there more like area teams for that part of the state.
I am in favor of the split between A and B I think it will be good for legion baseball I already have seen that now smaller class b towns are getting few more kids to participate in baseball. In the past it has been the class A teams that have mostly represented regions at state tournament and smaller towns never got chance to play in state tournament so a lot of kids just felt they didn't have chance to win or go on play. I think that's why were seeing more teams already competing and I also think class a teams will do just fine competing at that level they already were used to traveling because a lot of them traveled a lot to compete against better competition.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B-oldtimer » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:51 am

Quick reply to my above post I was looking again and I also see that Harvey is in the Class a East region listing so they may have just made mistake in adding them to Northeast class b region. But I thought it was vey poor grouping if you put Harvey in the North east region and only reason I could see it would be based on how town did in high school season.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bant325 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:33 pm

My biggest beef with Legion baseball is that all of the "decisions" are being made by people that have lost touch with the reality of baseball in ND. Coaches aren't being asked their opinion about anything and it's becoming a political league. If you don't have a "higher up" in your back pocket, your opinion is meaningless. The next thing I have heard is that several Canadian teams are coming down to fill some regions. Has anyone else heard this? This might get to be quite inconvenient to say the least.

Where is this going to go? I, for one, am tempted to jump this sinking ship and see what senior Babe Ruth has to offer. The small towns have no money coming from the Legions or VFWs anyway and maybe this is an alternative worth seeking.

I have grown up with Legion ball, coached it for many years...but the nonsense is starting to become overwhelming. Common sense needs to set in and we need to come up with a solution...together!
If winning isn't everything...why keep score!
bant325
NDPreps Reserve

Postby heimer » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:35 pm

The only change necessary is to incorporate the 16-year-old teams from the big cities (GF Blues, Fargo Bombers, etc) into the A level.

Three levels: AA, A and B.

Perfect system.

If people from Grafton, Casselton, and Beulah want to b!tch because they don't get to destroy Great Bend, Cando, and Highway Whatever-The-Heck in the west, too bad. Grafton beat Wahpeton for the east title. Meanwhile, Oakes, Hatton, etc on to B state.

This is the right system. Go cry to your mommas about how you really really really really wanted to go to a B state instead of an A state. Explain to us how bad it is to beat Wahpeton instead of Larimore.
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby Indy5 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:40 pm

heimer wrote:The only change necessary is to incorporate the 16-year-old teams from the big cities (GF Blues, Fargo Bombers, etc) into the A level.

Perfect system.

If people from Grafton, Casselton, and Beulah want to b!tch because they don't get to destroy Great Bend, Cando, and Highway Whatever-The-Heck in the west, too bad. Grafton beat Wahpeton for the east title. Meanwhile, Oakes, Hatton, etc on to B state.

This is the right system. Go cry to your mommas about how you really really really really wanted to go to a B state instead of an A state. Explain to us how bad it is to beat Wahpeton instead of Larimore.

I completely agree that the junior legion teams from the AA towns should play in A instead of having their own league. I have always thought it was dumb when they removed them from class B legion and created the junior legion league. It was cool for those kids to play someone different then the same age group in the same towns they've played against since they were 10. They also didn't have outrageous success either. Even back when Minot was probably the biggest power in the state, they still only won (I believe) 2 section titles in 15 years.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby lovwatchingsports » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:24 pm

Indy5 wrote:
heimer wrote:The only change necessary is to incorporate the 16-year-old teams from the big cities (GF Blues, Fargo Bombers, etc) into the A level.

Perfect system.

I completely agree that the junior legion teams from the AA towns should play in A instead of having their own league. I have always thought it was dumb when they removed them from class B legion and created the junior legion league. It was cool for those kids to play someone different then the same age group in the same towns they've played against since they were 10. They also didn't have outrageous success either. Even back when Minot was probably the biggest power in the state, they still only won (I believe) 2 section titles in 15 years.

I like the three classes but do not agree about the 16 year olds playing A. I also think that the Bismarck team that is in B should not be there. Just too many kids to pick from. You take the best 16 and 15 year olds from a large town will be better than most teams. Most class B teams and some class A team have to have Babe Ruth kids start on the Legion.
lovwatchingsports
NDPreps All-State

Postby NodakQ2 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:40 pm

I like the three classes but do not agree about the 16 year olds playing A. I also think that the Bismarck team that is in B should not be there. Just too many kids to pick from. You take the best 16 and 15 year olds from a large town will be better than most teams. Most class B teams and some class A team have to have Babe Ruth kids start on the Legion.[/quote]

I agree with all of this and it brings up a point of concern as far as Class B is concerned: WHY on earth are the Babe Ruth and State B Legion tournaments overlapping when every year there are issues with kids playing both. These kids play both all year long (mainly because they have to), then come State tournament time have to choose! True, it only affects the teams that make both, but every year it affects at least a couple teams. I can't imagine the "powers to be" on both side can't figure this one out.
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Indy5 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:12 pm

lovwatchingsports wrote:
Indy5 wrote:

Perfect system.

I like the three classes but do not agree about the 16 year olds playing A. I also think that the Bismarck team that is in B should not be there. Just too many kids to pick from. You take the best 16 and 15 year olds from a large town will be better than most teams. Most class B teams and some class A team have to have Babe Ruth kids start on the Legion.

From what I know about the history of the practice, the junior legion teams compare very nicely with class B legion teams. Yes, those teams start young guys, but the fact of 19 year olds playing against 16 year olds evens the odds. Every year at Minot's tournament the Metros play a few class B (or A or whatever they are) teams and they usually win some and lose some. I think they'd fit into the class A level pretty well.

I don't know the story behind that Bismarck team. My guess would have be they only draw Shiloh kids and that's how they get away with it. If that's the case, I don't really mind them being there.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby sportsphenom » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:13 pm

lovwatchingsports wrote:
Indy5 wrote:

Perfect system.

I agree with you about the Bismarck team, they have no business being in this class and they aren't 16 and 15 year olds, according to their roster they are 17 and 18 year olds, with a couple of 19 year olds.
sportsphenom
NDPreps All-Conference

Next

Return to Class B