2015 All-State Team

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 2015 All-State Team

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:59 am

easterner wrote:
triplebbb wrote:I may be a bit off on the exact numbers but Packineau may have only scored double figures once against Watford City. I don't think she was a first teamer but very deserving of all-state status. Us westerners are also a bit confused on the 5th first teamer. Good, solid, excellent rebounder, hustler...but....

She was out a couple weeks with a concussion also,according to the papers, and holding down one of the states best shooter FF to less than 12 points and the team wins(and previous yr held her to less than 7 points), Sounds like her defense put her over the top, alot of news articles and videos talk about her lights out defense. I think she had a triple double against a ranked team during the year, the paper might have got that wrong though, i do question the assist stat though, against kindred she had 7 that i saw and kindred is a very good team to play against, so i would assume she had the same or similar against lower teams and they played a tough schedule right off the bat(smart by the coach i think). I believe she had a few games she had over 20 on too. But if they figure out the ave like they use to when i was in high school then those games missed hurt her ave. Not sure if they count missed games anymore or not. Based on the 5 games i saw of her this yr. She deserved this spot. And i wonder why they didn't include her blocks, she had 4 against kindred, and i saw a couple during the tournament in each of the tournament games. But again,i believe she deserved it.

I have never, ever seen a single person that has calculated average on the total games on the schedule instead of the games a player actually played in.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flying Wallenda » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:46 pm

Marks does SO MUCH that doesn't show up in the box score. She's special like that--stands out because of her defense, rebounding, etc. Needs work on her scoring however (jump shot/left hand/finishing). Definitely a deserving all-stater, I'll let the rest of the board debate if it should have been 1st or 2nd team. As for her holding Freije to "12 this year and under 7 last year" easterner/radball, I'm calling BS on that one. Also, for someone who preaches "team ball" all the time, I would have figured you'd realize there is such a thing as "team defense". Or were Marks and Freije playing 1 on 1 :D
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby easterner » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:44 pm

is this post on all state bball players or all state team? I'm all for team. But i think i read 12 points this yr for FF vrs thompson, ave over 23 for the yr and she is 6 ft, pretty sure a zone wouldn't stop a 6 ft person who can dribble and shoot like ff can, the only way you stop a very good bball player like her is in the face man to man. And i would guess based on marx playing almost every minute at state, she played the whole game on ff. Who else would guard her on TT? Speaking of defense, wow did the UK Wildcats play lights out defense last night..love it!! I do admit TT had one of the worse shooting for layups in the state tournament that i've seen n along time. Sad because i think they are way better than what we saw. I have to give a quick shout out to Emily overby(sp) TT, she played a good tourney i thought, especially the last game. Just like kindred though, they will be back next yr for a shot at state.
easterner
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flying Wallenda » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:10 pm

easterner wrote:is this post on all state bball players or all state team? I'm all for team. But i think i read 12 points this yr for FF vrs thompson, ave over 23 for the yr and she is 6 ft, pretty sure a zone wouldn't stop a 6 ft person who can dribble and shoot like ff can, the only way you stop a very good bball player like her is in the face man to man. And i would guess based on marx playing almost every minute at state, she played the whole game on ff. Who else would guard her on TT? Speaking of defense, wow did the UK Wildcats play lights out defense last night..love it!! I do admit TT had one of the worse shooting for layups in the state tournament that i've seen n along time. Sad because i think they are way better than what we saw. I have to give a quick shout out to Emily overby(sp) TT, she played a good tourney i thought, especially the last game. Just like kindred though, they will be back next yr for a shot at state.

Quick question---you have heard of help side defense, correct? Laymen's terms---person guarding the ball gets beat, ANOTHER defender comes over and helps, not allowing the offensive player to score? Since we're roughly the same age, imagine Jordan in the last 80's against the pistons..."Jordan Rules"....beats his guy, 3-4 swarm him, not allowing him to score. Others ways to stop a top scorer: Junk defense; match-up zone (person one pass away in the zone mans up, rest of team stays in zone---many other versions of match up zones as well), man defense without helping off of star player, etc.....
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby scoobyx2 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:30 am

Rylee Nudell is the only player on the 1st team list who didn't get to showcase her skills at the state tournament, but her season made her a shoe in. Prior to this year, has there ever been a player who made it to state and didn't make the state all-tournament team, but was still selected to the 1st or 2nd All-State team?
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby easterner » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:12 pm

Flying Wallenda wrote:
easterner wrote:is this post on all state bball players or all state team? I'm all for team. But i think i read 12 points this yr for FF vrs thompson, ave over 23 for the yr and she is 6 ft, pretty sure a zone wouldn't stop a 6 ft person who can dribble and shoot like ff can, the only way you stop a very good bball player like her is in the face man to man. And i would guess based on marx playing almost every minute at state, she played the whole game on ff. Who else would guard her on TT? Speaking of defense, wow did the UK Wildcats play lights out defense last night..love it!! I do admit TT had one of the worse shooting for layups in the state tournament that i've seen n along time. Sad because i think they are way better than what we saw. I have to give a quick shout out to Emily overby(sp) TT, she played a good tourney i thought, especially the last game. Just like kindred though, they will be back next yr for a shot at state.

Quick question---you have heard of help side defense, correct? Laymen's terms---person guarding the ball gets beat, ANOTHER defender comes over and helps, not allowing the offensive player to score? Since we're roughly the same age, imagine Jordan in the last 80's against the pistons..."Jordan Rules"....beats his guy, 3-4 swarm him, not allowing him to score. Others ways to stop a top scorer: Junk defense; match-up zone (person one pass away in the zone mans up, rest of team stays in zone---many other versions of match up zones as well), man defense without helping off of star player, etc.....

yes i understand help defense, i also understand on the line up the line defense(if you need explanation of it i can do that later) its a defense design to prevent passing to the person your guarding, the whole team can't play it at the same time though. I'm curious as in why the rest of the season FF score her ave or way above her ave against teams like BR(which has 6 footers and athletic) All i'm trying to point out to people is its more than points that makes you deserving of a 1st team all state. Lets say you have a really high scorer and she/he only gets 12 points but ave's over 23, and the team wins by 1. To me that would very note worthy of "hidden stats" towards 1st team. When people think of individual awards as in all state, look at it this way, if you were to take that person off the team, would that team have gotten the record or where they are during the year? Would have FE got to the state or the wins without FF, no... Same with Nudell and BR, take away one of the bigs, and they might have been beatable(though i don't think so because they have a awesome point guard). And same with marx's, take her out of the lineup, do they go to state? Thats how you got to put things in perspective for all state team. I hate individual mind set, but this award is kinda about individual achievements. I can't figure out why people now day choose to dismiss good fundamental defense and athletic ability, instead choose to focus on just points. Give me a team of lights out defense and good fundamentals and smarts. I would show you a good team. Be honest they all have their strong points and weakness and they all will have a shot to play in college if they choose to.
easterner
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flying Wallenda » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:22 pm

easterner wrote:
Flying Wallenda wrote:

yes i understand help defense, i also understand on the line up the line defense(if you need explanation of it i can do that later) its a defense design to prevent passing to the person your guarding, the whole team can't play it at the same time though. I'm curious as in why the rest of the season FF score her ave or way above her ave against teams like BR(which has 6 footers and athletic) All i'm trying to point out to people is its more than points that makes you deserving of a 1st team all state. Lets say you have a really high scorer and she/he only gets 12 points but ave's over 23, and the team wins by 1. To me that would very note worthy of "hidden stats" towards 1st team. When people think of individual awards as in all state, look at it this way, if you were to take that person off the team, would that team have gotten the record or where they are during the year? Would have FE got to the state or the wins without FF, no... Same with Nudell and BR, take away one of the bigs, and they might have been beatable(though i don't think so because they have a awesome point guard). And same with marx's, take her out of the lineup, do they go to state? Thats how you got to put things in perspective for all state team. I hate individual mind set, but this award is kinda about individual achievements. I can't figure out why people now day choose to dismiss good fundamental defense and athletic ability, instead choose to focus on just points. Give me a team of lights out defense and good fundamentals and smarts. I would show you a good team. Be honest they all have their strong points and weakness and they all will have a shot to play in college if they choose to.

Trust me pal I could give you lessons on up the line on the line, 1 pass away denial. FYI Thompsom didn't play it. I'm one of the people defending your niece regarding her abilities. Do you think, by chance, that FF perhaps shot poor, didn't play well against your Tommie's, or are you sticking with her just being dominated and inferior to your niece? Cause if so I'll await the wrath of the board coming down upon you.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby BigCat » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:32 pm

easterner wrote:
Flying Wallenda wrote:

It would be nice to minimize the importance of point total, but it aint gonna happen. If its more about team, as I said earlier, there is a whole new list with a lot of studs capable of out running, out hustling, out teaming a lot of the kids on both 1st and 2nd team including your niece. But, this award is about the individual as weird as that sounds in a team sport. I have always said, take away the arc and you have a whole new appreciation for team play. It encourages shooting and shooters over team, but that's another argument for another day.
BigCat
NDPreps Starter

Postby scoobyx2 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:40 am

Why do we assume that high scorers are not top defenders and team players, and why would do we think that low scorers are better defenders and team orientated? Both Stewart and Freije were high scorers AND were leaders in rebounding, steals, and ironically, assists. The best way to help your team is to score. The reason we play defense is to get the ball back to score. When was the last time a college offered a defensive camp only in basketball. When was the last time you asked your kids to go outside and practice defense? I think defense is extremely important, but we seem to almost look down at high scorers.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby BigCat » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:00 am

scoobyx2 wrote:Why do we assume that high scorers are not top defenders and team players, and why would do we think that low scorers are better defenders and team orientated? Both Stewart and Freije were high scorers AND were leaders in rebounding, steals, and ironically, assists. The best way to help your team is to score. The reason we play defense is to get the ball back to score. When was the last time a college offered a defensive camp only in basketball. When was the last time you asked your kids to go outside and practice defense? I think defense is extremely important, but we seem to almost look down at high scorers.

I don't think anyone was pointing out the evils of scoring. However, I do find it interesting how the inside game tends to be support for the 3 point line. A kid can go 0 for14 from the arc he'll eventually get hot. If the same kid goes 0 fir 14 from 12', he needs to be replaced. It comes down to your view of the world. Smaller coaches who played guard will work an outside first game where a post player will coach inside out. The point I was making is that there are differences in players performances. Take Rylee Nudell for instance. Most of her shots come from inside the arc and are 2 and 1's. She strikes me as a all around team player because of her ability to pass, play good D and score anywhere on the floor.
BigCat
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flying Wallenda » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:06 pm

scoobyx2 wrote:Why do we assume that high scorers are not top defenders and team players, and why would do we think that low scorers are better defenders and team orientated? Both Stewart and Freije were high scorers AND were leaders in rebounding, steals, and ironically, assists. The best way to help your team is to score. The reason we play defense is to get the ball back to score. When was the last time a college offered a defensive camp only in basketball. When was the last time you asked your kids to go outside and practice defense? I think defense is extremely important, but we seem to almost look down at high scorers.

Exactly, Scooby. Anyone who thinks only pts matters is crazy. Anyone who thinks pts DON'T matter is "crazier". No girl in the state had the "all around" game that Freije had, in my opinion.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby scoobyx2 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:36 pm

Flying Wallenda wrote:

Exactly, Scooby. Anyone who thinks only pts matters is crazy. Anyone who thinks pts DON'T matter is "crazier". No girl in the state had the "all around" game that Freije had, in my opinion.

There is no real argument on that. Freije is very talented. A good team player does what needs to get done. Some need to step up and score a lot, and some need to step up and stop an opposing scoring threat. The top players do both. A big challenge college coaches have with high school point guards is teaching them to go to the hoop and shoot after years of being told that their best attribute is passing the ball.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Indy5 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:23 pm

Not trying to get into the specific player argument radball. This is a general basketball assessment. The term you're looking for is "glue guy." You'll hear it a lot around the NBA. Usually goes along with a "3 and D" forward who rebounds well. People like that are essential to the success of the team, no doubt. You have to have role players. That's not to say these types of players can't become stars (see Paul George). However, you're glue guy isn't getting many all-league awards. It just isn't the way it works. That's because when it comes down to it, you need stars who can take over to win, and there's enough out there to fill these award teams.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby BigCat » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:27 am

Is the president of the coaches association from Thompson? Just curious!
BigCat
NDPreps Starter

Postby BigCat » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:10 pm

scc wrote:
BigCat wrote:Isn't the president of the coaches association from Thompson? Hmmmmm! Just curious!

No idea... The coaches don't vote on all-state basketball, anyway. You're running out of arguments.

I don't understand, I was simply asking a question. If you are referring to the 5th 1st teamer, theres no argument to be had. Shes a 2nd teamer at best. I guess she helped get her team there. Played against her, watched her play in three games, and saw her at state. Stats weren't there unless youre going on team player. If that's the case, there were atleast three other studs at state who blew those doors off as team players but didn't put up the individual stats. No argument to be had, as my assessment is correct!
BigCat
NDPreps Starter

Postby BigCat » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:25 pm

scc wrote:
BigCat wrote:
scc wrote:
BigCat wrote:Isn't the president of the coaches association from Thompson? Hmmmmm! Just curious!

No idea... The coaches don't vote on all-state basketball, anyway. You're running out of arguments.

I don't understand, I was simply asking a question. If you are referring to the 5th 1st teamer, theres no argument to be had. Shes a 2nd teamer at best. I guess she helped get her team there. Played against her, watched her play in three games, and saw her at state. Stats weren't there unless youre going on team player. If that's the case, there were atleast three other studs at state who blew those doors off as team players but didn't put up the individual stats. No argument to be had, as my assessment is correct!

The way you worded your question, before you edited it, suggests otherwise.[/quote]

So you are going to go with the unedited version, huh?! Funny stuff. Someone who voted would need to tell me why before I would believe more than a 2nd teamer at best.
BigCat
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:18 pm

Because she meant more to her team than just the amount of points she scored/game. Her rebounding average was superior to many and her usual shutdown-defense was solid all year.

IMO, there were 4 1st team players by stats BUT 1st team includes top 5 players via votes and she was 5th best...so therefore, she was awarded the spot.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby BigCat » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:24 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:Because she meant more to her team than just the amount of points she scored/game. Her rebounding average was superior to many and her usual shutdown-defense was solid all year.

IMO, there were 4 1st team players by stats BUT 1st team includes top 5 players via votes and she was 5th best...so therefore, she was awarded the spot.

The 5th best in the state? Serious?! like I said, saw her four times plus state and I will tell you that I saw a lot better talent elsewhere. In matter of fact, I saw her shut down two of those games. I'm going to let this go now, but there were others in the state that were tougher defensively and meant just as much or more to their team, and made it much further in the tourney. So be it. Good for her, but a 2nd teamer if that.
BigCat
NDPreps Starter

Postby Hinsa » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:53 am

Big Cat, in reading your posts I see a few remarks that may be questioning the honesty and integrity of Lisa Strand of Thompson, past president of the NDHSCA, and perhaps Jason Brend, the Thompson head GBB coach.

If I am wrong, just say so and accept my apologies.

I just want it known that there are no people that are more honest, supportive, and build any better quality programs than Lisa and Jason. I've know them for years and they are just quality people.

(No, I'm not from Thompson)
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:22 pm

BigCat wrote:Is the president of the coaches association from Thompson? Just curious!

doesn't matter...All-State is a MEDIA award that is voted on BEFORE the State Tourney concludes.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby BigCat » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:17 am

Hinsa wrote:Big Cat, in reading your posts I see a few remarks that may be questioning the honesty and integrity of Lisa Strand of Thompson, past president of the NDHSCA, and perhaps Jason Brend, the Thompson head GBB coach.

I just want it known that there are no people that are more honest, supportive, and build any better quality programs than Lisa and Jason. I've know them for years and they are just quality people.

A couple of things for you:
1. I don't know how well you can read, but take a quick look at the bold type below. I said I'm done with it.
2. I asked a question and you took it upon yourself to assume, guess, extrapolate, and draft a guess as to what may or may not have been a reference. Go ahead and make up what you wish from my question. I said nothing about anyone good or bad, just asked the question. You my friend took it upon yourself to write a novel defending specific people!

The 5th best in the state? Serious?! like I said, saw her four times plus state and I will tell you that I saw a lot better talent elsewhere. In matter of fact, I saw her shut down two of those games. I'm going to let this go now, but there were others in the state that were tougher defensively and meant just as much or more to their team, and made it much further in the tourney. So be it. Good for her, but a 2nd teamer if that.
BigCat
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:32 am

BigCat wrote:
Hinsa wrote:Big Cat, in reading your posts I see a few remarks that may be questioning the honesty and integrity of Lisa Strand of Thompson, past president of the NDHSCA, and perhaps Jason Brend, the Thompson head GBB coach.

1. I don't know how well you can read, but take a quick look at the bold type below. I said I'm done with it.
2. I asked a question and you took it upon yourself to assume, guess, extrapolate, and draft a guess as to what may or may not have been a reference. Go ahead and make up what you wish from my question. I said nothing about anyone good or bad, just asked the question. You my friend took it upon yourself to write a novel defending specific people!

Let it go then...don't respond. However your previous quote:

You did ask a question...but your post question statements of 'Hmmmmm! Just curious!' is insinuating that Thompson did something 'dirty' to get her on the 1st team...when in fact we stated several times that other than nominating the athlete for this honor, the coaches have nothing to do with the voting.

Words of advice: Its over and done with...there is no changing it. She is the 5th name on the All-State 1st Team...let's all just move on. Basketball season is over until next November.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flying Wallenda » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:11 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
BigCat wrote:

You did ask a question...but your post question statements of 'Hmmmmm! Just curious!' is insinuating that Thompson did something 'dirty' to get her on the 1st team...when in fact we stated several times that other than nominating the athlete for this honor, the coaches have nothing to do with the voting.

Words of advice: Its over and done with...there is no changing it. She is the 5th name on the All-State 1st Team...let's all just move on. Basketball season is over until next November.

I'm sorry Run...just one more thing....could we get Radball/Easterners take on it? I'm really curious what his opinion on this matter is.....
OK...I'm sorry, just had to do it! :lol:
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:20 pm

Flying Wallenda wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
BigCat wrote:

I'm sorry Run...just one more thing....could we get Radball/Easterners take on it? I'm really curious what his opinion on this matter is.....

Let's not open that 'can'...that user(s) been pretty good here lately :)
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby BigCat » Wed May 06, 2015 8:04 am

Flying Wallenda wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
BigCat wrote:

He has no time to type any responses. He's sitting on his deck, smokin' a cigar telling everyone "I told you so!"
BigCat
NDPreps Starter

Previous

Return to Girls