2015 track and field

A and B
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 2015 track and field

Postby Hinsa » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:39 pm

I'll agree with soldiergirl that high jumping is a different skill set. It is all about taking forward force and converting it to upward force, whereas basketball jumping is more about raw quad and calve strength and springing straight up. I've heard anecdotes of great high jumpers who cannot dunk a basketball because they are excellent at converting force from forward speed to upward height but they don't have the raw springs you need in your quads and calves to jump straight up.

I'm not saying a high jumper is any less of an athlete, it just requires different skills. There are plenty of dunkers that can't clear 6'0" in the high jump.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby bsoldiergirl » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:05 pm

Hinsa wrote:I'll agree with soldiergirl that high jumping is a different skill set. It is all about taking forward force and converting it to upward force, whereas basketball jumping is more about raw quad and calve strength and springing straight up. I've heard anecdotes of great high jumpers who cannot dunk a basketball because they are excellent at converting force from forward speed to upward height but they don't have the raw springs you need in your quads and calves to jump straight up.

I'm not saying a high jumper is any less of an athlete, it just requires different skills. There are plenty of dunkers that can't clear 6'0" in the high jump.

Well said Hinsa. :wink:
Play for the name on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.
bsoldiergirl
NDPreps Starter

Postby BigCat » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:17 am

Regardless of event, athletic prowess, or single event focus, we will soon be able to see some of the best athletes in the state of which I am excited about. By the way, if you really want to cull the field on who are the best athletes in the state, look for the studs coming into spring with all-state honors in their fall and winters sports. All-state and/or state tournament honors along with a state track title should put you at the top of the mountain. Nothing against one or two sport athletes or athletes focusing on one event, but three sporters with championships and/or all-state honors in all three definitely sets you apart. That my friends is why I am looking forward to track. Most of the best in the state will be there.
BigCat
NDPreps Starter

Postby scoobyx2 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:49 am

Track is definitely one of my favorite sports, and there are definitely some great athletes, but not necessarily more or less than any other sport. It use to be the premier showcase of ND athletes because there weren't any other sports to play. Now we have high school baseball, softball, soccer, tennis, not to mention all the traveling sports that start up like JO volleyball and AAU basketball. A lot of kids go out because they don't cut, they get out of school, and they can hang out with friends.

I do have to laugh at a comment made about anyone being able to "huck a shotput". That event is probably one of the most technical events in track that so many people do not understand. There is a lot of specialty training involved, and their are more kids getting D1 scholarships for that event than probably hockey or basketball.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:56 pm

Region 1 should have some nice distance race battles between Ashley Perez of Oak Grove & Peyton Frolek of MWL.

Frolek has run a 2:27 800 and 5:14 mile.
Perez has run a 2:30 800 and 11:54 2 mile

(indoor times)
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby BigCat » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:59 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:Region 1 should have some nice distance race battles between Ashley Perez of Oak Grove & Peyton Frolek of MWL.

(indoor times)

Peyton is fun to watch. Good kid and works hard. Who do you have for good matchups in the sprints (100-400) in 1? Saw Erickson and Dinius battled it out at the indoor which was true to your earlier list. That could be a bit of a preview of things to come. As far as 1 field events, I didn't see anyone really running away with anything. I guess I didn't catch the pole vault so I may be mistaken there.
BigCat
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:35 pm

BigCat wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:Region 1 should have some nice distance race battles between Ashley Perez of Oak Grove & Peyton Frolek of MWL.

(indoor times)

Peyton is fun to watch. Good kid and works hard. Who do you have for good matchups in the sprints (100-400) in 1? Saw Erickson and Dinius battled it out at the indoor which was true to your earlier list. That could be a bit of a preview of things to come. As far as 1 field events, I didn't see anyone really running away with anything. I guess I didn't catch the pole vault so I may be mistaken there.

Not every team had everybody at State Indoor...Indoor season can be a crap-shoot as there are still many other things going on.

Region 1 Girls
Sprints (100-200)
100 & 200: Erickson is probably the favorite but you have a solid core after her that should qualify.

Mid-Distance (400)
400: Erickson is the favorite in the 400...at this moment I'm unsure anyone else can run a qualifying time.

Distance (800-1600-3200)
Look at previous comment above...also add Tess Scott & Samantha Wieland from BCN to 2nd tier.

Hurdles (100 & 300)
100H: Key names right now Cavett (Lisbon), Hajek (Sargent Cty) & Hiatt (Kindred)
300H: Erickson if she chooses to do them...might be only girl near or below qualifying time

Relays: Listing Thoughts on Top 3
4x1: Kindred, Central Cass, Lisbon
4x2: Kindred, Northern Cass, Oak Grove
4x4: Kindred, MV-Enderlin, (too early to pick a 3rd)
4x8: Oak Grove, Kindred, Oakes

Field Events
LJ: Bergstrom (OG) has gone 16-4 indoors...then next tier is Olson (Lisbon) & Aasen (NC)
TJ: Olson (Lisbon) is leader right now...Bergstrom (OG) is capable of SQ distance
HJ: Wedell (Ellendale) is only girl returning that competed at State...decent core of girls follow
PV: Dixon (OG) & Rose (BCN) are top heights so far...3rd spot is up for grabs.
Shot: Nelson (Sargent Cty) early favorite...Froelich (Lisbon) is closest contender in Region so far.
Disc: Too early to tell...however Ripplinger (Lisbon) is favorite
Jav: Too early to tell...Ripplinger (Lisbon) is the heavy favorite

I'll analyze SE Region (Region 1 area) again in 3 weeks when hopefully some outdoor meets will have occurred.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:27 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
MoSiouxFan wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:I can do my list for that later tonight or early next week

Great. Thanks.

Plan for it this weekend...Basketball Games & 1st Track meet of season are taking up my week.

I never got my Class A list up...give me a week and I'll analyze the first few weeks of outdoor track!
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby MoSiouxFan » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:27 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
MoSiouxFan wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:I can do my list for that later tonight or early next week

Great. Thanks.

Plan for it this weekend...Basketball Games & 1st Track meet of season are taking up my week.

I never got my Class A list up...give me a week and I'll analyze the first few weeks of outdoor track!

Sounds good, Run. Thanks.
MoSiouxFan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby momofathletes » Sat May 02, 2015 9:15 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:Top 3 returning athletes (IMO) just to start conversations.

Class B Boys
100 - Dawson Kram (D. Trinity), Seth Abaurrea (Carrington), Adam Breske (Central Cass)
200 - Seth Abaurrea (Carrington), Lewis Dobitz (Killdeer), James Hollister (Northern Cass)
400 - Ethan Kerslake (Bottineau), Lewis Dobitz (Killdeer), Blake Emmel (Shiloh Christian) - 6 of 9 finalists return
800 - Josh Thompson (Grafton), Elliott Stone (Shiloh Christian), Ryan Wheeling (New Town)
1600 - Ryan Wheeling (New Town), Elliott Stone (Shiloh Christian), Josh Thompson (Grafton)
3200 - Ryan Wheeling (New Town), Elliott Stone (Shiloh Christian), Jalen Chase (New Town)
**Distance events have many talented underclassmen returning**
110H - Connor Wendel (Carrington), Eric Knutson (DL-B/L&C), Brady Wegh (Mott-Regent)
300H - Connor Wendel (Carrington), James Hollister (Northern Cass), Nolan Hovland (Rugby)
4x100 - Killdeer, Dickinson Trinity, Oakes
4x200 - Killdeer, Dickinson Trinity, Carrington
4x400 - Dickinson Trinity, Maple Valley-Enderlin, Rugby
4x800 - New Town, Maple Valley-Enderlin, Dickinson Trinity
LJ - Kellemon Hinton (Ellendale), Brad Heidlebaugh (Rugby), Riley Miller (Carrington)
TJ - Kellemon Hinton (Ellendale), Brad Heidlebaugh (Rugby), Jon Purintun (Linton-HMB)
HJ - Nolan Hovland (Rugby), Brandon Pierce (Hettinger-Scranton), Preston Anderson (Oakes)
PV - Jake Peterson (Larimore), Jace Kruger (Dickinson Trinity), Austin Pithey (Lisbon)
Shot - Seth Kreil (Hazen), Nic Rivinius (Grant County/Flasher), Jaden Lunde (Benson Cty)
Disc - Elijah Grady (New Town), Seth Kreil (Hazen), Garret Roemmich (Linton-HMB)
Jav - Aaron Sletten (Larimore), Garret Roemmich (Linton-HMB), Spencer Rebel (NS-Almont)

Class B Girls
100 - Jocelyn Dinius (Langdon), Dakota Wood (Hazen), Ally Erickson (Kindred)
200 - Jocelyn Dinius (Langdon), Ally Erickson (Kindred), Emily Stier (Rugby)
400 - Ally Erickson (Kindred), LaDora Schmidt (KC-Napoleon), Shaice Marx (Thompson)
800 - Asha Smith (Watford City), Annika Rotvold (Hillsboro-CV), Ashley Neumiller (Carrington)
1600 - Asha Smith (Watford City), Peyton Frolek (MWL), Ashley Perez (Oak Grove)
3200 - Asha Smith (Watford City), Cailee Peterson (MPCG), Ashley Perez (Oak Grove)
100H - Dakota Wood (Hazen), Maara Nelson (Carrington), Jocelyn Dinius (Langdon)
300H - Dakota Wood (Hazen), Kaylene Klein (Hazen), Maara Nelson (Carrington)
4x100 - Hazen, Rugby, Kindred
4x200 - Kindred, Hazen, Thompson
4x400 - Hazen, Rugby, Shiloh Christian
4x800 - Hillsboro-CV, Rugby, Shiloh Christian
LJ - Rikka Bergstrom (Oak Grove), Ricki Lindley (Watford City), Courtney Bubach (Benson Cty)
TJ - Ricki Lindley (Watford City), Krista Slaubaugh (Hazen), Mattie Olson (Lisbon)
HJ - Lexy Wittmayer (Rolette-Wolford), Isabel Wedell (Ellendale)
PV - Brittany Dixon (Oak Grove), Jocelyn Dinius (Langdon), Mikka Haugeberg (Watford City)
Shot - Nessa Mathews (Watford City), Kauri Hochhalter (Carrington), Kaylyn Frison (Harvey-WC)
Disc - Bailey Retzlaff (Carrington), Erin Ost (Hazen), Kauri Hochhalter (Carrington)
Jav - Miranda Ripplinger (Lisbon), Madison Hart (Langdon), Kauri Hochhalter (Carrington)

Hasn't been much chatter lately on the track/field topics other than a few meet results posted. Any changes that anyone would make for the front runners as we head into the home stretch? Anybody (or team) that stands out? Any surprises? For the Class B girls I would have to say Kjelland from Park River is a legitimate contender in the sprints. She has looked impressive from the get go. What else are you seeing folks? I for one am looking forward to a great state meet once again.
There's No Crying in Basketball
momofathletes
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat May 02, 2015 10:23 pm

Favorited Teams for Home Stretch
Class A Boys: Bismarck
Class A Girls: Century
Class B Boys: New Town & Dickinson Trinity
Class B Girls: Carrington & Hazen
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby theman » Sun May 03, 2015 5:09 pm

Matti Shirley-Fairbairn (BHS) and Karley Ackley (GFC) went 1-2 at the Howard Wood Dakota Relays in the girl's 3200m, with times of 10:33 and 10:38, respectively. According to the Class A girls all-time list compiled by the Bismarck coach running the ND Track & Field, that's the #1 and #3 ALL TIME! Wow! Isn't Shirley-Fairbairn an 8th grader?!
[url]northdakotarunner.blogspot.com[/url]
theman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun May 03, 2015 5:20 pm

theman wrote:Matti Shirley-Fairbairn (BHS) and Karley Ackley (GFC) went 1-2 at the Howard Wood Dakota Relays in the girl's 3200m, with times of 10:33 and 10:38, respectively. According to the Class A girls all-time list compiled by the Bismarck coach running the ND Track & Field, that's the #1 and #3 ALL TIME! Wow! Isn't Shirley-Fairbairn an 8th grader?!

Yep 8th grader who as a 7th grader was running good times in SD before moving to Bismarck.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Baller » Tue May 19, 2015 2:35 pm

Run,
How does a coach screw this up?? Obviously not the runner's fault. She is going to run whatever that coach tells her to run.

http://www.inforum.com/sports/3747863-m ... egion-meet
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue May 19, 2015 2:47 pm

Baller wrote:Run,
How does a coach screw this up?? Obviously not the runner's fault. She is going to run whatever that coach tells her to run.

http://www.inforum.com/sports/3747863-m ... egion-meet

Not sure...this scenario actually happened twice last Saturday in this region. Its an unfortunate situation in both scenarios...but each have been handled.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Hinsa » Thu May 21, 2015 1:36 pm

It had to be that the coaches were not aware of or did not understand the rule. It is easy to miss something, especially if you are not on the teaching staff as a coach. In a few cases they grab any warm body they can find from the community. The job interview goes like this: "Do you have any criminal convictions?" "No." "Can you name a field event?" "Harvest." "You're hired."

DISCLAIMER:
Any resemblance between this fictitious interview and a real world interview is purely coincidental. Most track and field coaches are very hard working and do their best to build a good program.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Previous

Return to Track and Field