Ms. Basketball

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Ms. Basketball

Postby scoobyx2 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:17 am

ninja_joe wrote:When you see an excellent team employ any type of chaser or "junk" defense against a great player, usually the person chasing totally denies the ball & if the offensive player gets the ball...there is an immediate double team or the entire defensive team is in position to help. Facing a state caliber team & them employing this defense for the entire game makes it tough on the offensive player.

Frieje certainly saw chaser defenses throughout the year...just not from teams as solid as LaMoure was. She had a solid state tourney. Parshall kept her to her average of 25pts playing box & 1. Shiloh played man against her & got torched for 35pts.

Anna Hollen was not the kid chasing Frieje. She was the help defender on the top of the box the entire game. Hollen scored most of her points down the stretch from the free throw line as she really didn't play all that well (18 pts I think...with like 12 coming from line....something like 8 turnovers too).

Meikljohn is a freshman & did a great job of denying with her quickness. She split time with Hebl who is a junior, chasing Frieje. They did as good of a job of denying as you can. It was a team defense that kept her in check...it think she still had 20pts though. No other kid in the state B likely would have had that with that particular defense played on them by LaMoure.

I never said it was Anna Hollen, and I apologize that I didn't comment that a junior helped out with that job too. To get nominated and win a media award, you have to be in the media. It helps to get to state, and especially helps to continue on to the 2nd day so you are still on t.v. Luckily, college recruiters look at more than that, and have recognized athletes well before these awards are given. Next year will be another big media event for this award.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby layup » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:09 pm

ninja_joe wrote:Hannah Stewart wins Ms. Basketball. She definitely is a good player & her stats speak for themselves. However, I am not sure she is even the best big girl on her own team. Freije scored 45pts against Bishop Ryan this year...that's against Gabbie Bohl & Hannah Stewart at the same time. My goodness. Sportscasters...you guys got this one wrong.

Not that this matters and this thread really kind of bores me because all are deserving but someone has to win. With that said I am reading it. It just bothers me when people get the facts wrong. Freije scored 45 on Ryan last season (13-14) and according to the Devils Lake paper she scored 10 on them this year (14-15). Because she scored 45 in one game does not make her the best and because she was held to 10 in another does not take away how good she is either. Just moments in time.

It will be very interesting to follow their college careers.
layup
NDPreps Reserve

Postby BigCat » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:49 am

All of the young ladies were deserving. And yes, it will be fun to see how they transition into the college game. All of them are dominant in class B due to their talent and size. I guess I am curious as to whether the voting is done by the coaches within each region like the boys. I have always been of the mind that coaches daughers and/or sons always have a leg up on everyone else as they are in that voting community with other coaches wanting to see the father/dauther or mother/daughter angle work out for them. Stewart was deserving, but noone will tell me that the angle does not exist as there are historical examples.
BigCat
NDPreps Starter

Postby scoobyx2 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:02 am

BigCat wrote:All of the young ladies were deserving. And yes, it will be fun to see how they transition into the college game. All of them are dominant in class B due to their talent and size. I guess I am curious as to whether the voting is done by the coaches within each region like the boys. I have always been of the mind that coaches daughers and/or sons always have a leg up on everyone else as they are in that voting community with other coaches wanting to see the father/dauther or mother/daughter angle work out for them. Stewart was deserving, but noone will tell me that the angle does not exist as there are historical examples.

The Miss Basketball award is voted on by the media.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby BigCat » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:07 pm

scoobyx2 wrote:
BigCat wrote:All of the young ladies were deserving. And yes, it will be fun to see how they transition into the college game. All of them are dominant in class B due to their talent and size. I guess I am curious as to whether the voting is done by the coaches within each region like the boys. I have always been of the mind that coaches daughers and/or sons always have a leg up on everyone else as they are in that voting community with other coaches wanting to see the father/dauther or mother/daughter angle work out for them. Stewart was deserving, but noone will tell me that the angle does not exist as there are historical examples.

Doesn't change my point or opinion.
BigCat
NDPreps Starter

Postby go maji » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:15 pm

Stewart had a 100% advantage due to who her coach was.
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby Indy5 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:28 pm

go maji wrote:Stewart had a 100% advantage due to who her coach was.

I don't understand what you're getting at.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby scoobyx2 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:38 am

BigCat wrote:
scoobyx2 wrote:

Doesn't change my point or opinion.

Most people do think that the coach's kid has an advantage, and that may be true on some things. But most people also don't understand how hard it is to coach your kid and how hard it can be to play for your parent. The "stars" from each team of the championship game were coach's kids. Stewart and Piatz. I thought they were the best players from their respective teams, and guess they probably put in more time than anyone from their team.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby easterner » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:26 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:Tonight (Wednesday):

Alexis Klabo, Fargo Davies
Gabbie Bohl, Bishop Ryan
Fallyn Freije, Lakota/Edmore
Hannah Stewart, Bishop Ryan

good group, all deserving, but do you think Hannah would be as good if they didn't have arguably the best point guard in the state(Gabbie Bohl)? I only got to watch 3 games this year and 3 last year, and WOW did she really improve, she was good last year, but her defense stepped up this year. She controls the tempo very good and has awesome vision and shooting skills(remember Hannah doesn't magically have the ball all the time). Yes i'm guard bias at times, but she was fun to watch. Just wish BR would of lost on there home turf though and see the look on the BR coach's face..lol.. I think we all knew Hannah was going to win. Fallyn is awesome no doubt, but put hard defense on her and she has nothing else to go to(not her fault though), she got shut down this year and last year by a defensive team thompson after she lit up BR. But hard play team ball when no one else can help take the pressure off (based on what i saw at state last year and this year). But congrats Hannah good luck to all at the next level, Fallyn is going to UND right?
easterner
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Baller » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:31 am

easterner wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:Tonight (Wednesday):

Alexis Klabo, Fargo Davies
Gabbie Bohl, Bishop Ryan
Fallyn Freije, Lakota/Edmore
Hannah Stewart, Bishop Ryan

good group, all deserving, but do you think Hannah would be as good if they didn't have arguably the best point guard in the state(Gabbie Bohl)? I only got to watch 3 games this year and 3 last year, and WOW did she really improve, she was good last year, but her defense stepped up this year. She controls the tempo very good and has awesome vision and shooting skills(remember Hannah doesn't magically have the ball all the time). Yes i'm guard bias at times, but she was fun to watch. Just wish BR would of lost on there home turf though and see the look on the BR coach's face..lol.. I think we all knew Hannah was going to win. Fallyn is awesome no doubt, but put hard defense on her and she has nothing else to go to(not her fault though), she got shut down this year and last year by a defensive team thompson after she lit up BR. But hard play team ball when no one else can help take the pressure off (based on what i saw at state last year and this year). But congrats Hannah good luck to all at the next level, Fallyn is going to UND right?

What are you talking about????????? Gabbie Bohl was not a point guard. She is a 6 ft post player along side Stewart. PLEASE know what you are talking about before you post. We are not picking on you, just want you to make sense please!!
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby easterner » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:52 pm

I apologize i was thinking of Maddie. Totally wrong, She is the one that started right and is graduating? Like i said only saw them 6 times total in 3 yrs.
easterner
NDPreps Reserve

Previous

Return to Girls