Ryan GBB vs. Class A Girls

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Ryan GBB vs. Class A Girls

Postby Indy5 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:33 am

BigCat wrote:I am surprised that you feel there is anyone "tearing them down." The conversation or argument, as some have called it, is about private programs that some feel should be Class A or in their own division/class. The passion in the debate is largely driven by folks who grew up in, or are from, rural/smaller class B schools who don't have the luxury of a large metro area that draws families with athletes. They live with what they have, with very small chance of ever building a dynasty like some of the larger communities including Minot, Bismarck, Fargo, Dickinson, and years ago, Bottineau. If you take #2 through #10 in the current poll, it would make a great, competitvie class B tourney. Ryan would have to lay the largest egg ever not to totally dominate again this year with their size and talent.

Do you actually know how privates schools work? You're responses so far have seemed like you think there is a city wide draft or something. They can't "build" teams like you keep saying.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby scoobyx2 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:36 am

I think the private schools should compete in Class A simply because they live in a bigger city and their students have opportunities that rural kids may not have. It doesn't mean the teams are better, but they do have competitive opportunities that are easier to access than for rural kids. For example, if a Dickinson Trinity kid wants to play hockey, they will work out something with Dickinson High. If a Minot Ryan kid wants to swim, they can swim for Minot High. Any Class B student can work out something too, but it is very challenging if you have to travel 75 miles to practice. Many parents like Class A schools because they offer a lot of different opportunities not necessarily because they can beat Class B schools, and private schools in bigger cities can offer that to their students too.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:38 am

scoobyx2 wrote:I think the private schools should compete in Class A simply because they live in a bigger city and their students have opportunities that rural kids may not have. It doesn't mean the teams are better, but they do have competitive opportunities that are easier to access than for rural kids. For example, if a Dickinson Trinity kid wants to play hockey, they will work out something with Dickinson High. If a Minot Ryan kid wants to swim, they can swim for Minot High. Any Class B student can work out something too, but it is very challenging if you have to travel 75 miles to practice. Many parents like Class A schools because they offer a lot of different opportunities not necessarily because they can beat Class B schools, and private schools in bigger cities can offer that to their students too.

Then what do you do with schools like DLB, Surrey, Thompson, etc.? Being only 10-15 minutes from the same communities they also have the same advantages.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby east sider » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:44 am

I missed this game, but from what I've read not a lot of explanation of what happened. Did Ryan have a bad game, did Shanley have a good game? Stewart is the best player in "B" this year, and of the best ever. But is she even the best player in the state this year?
east sider
NDPreps Starter

Postby east sider » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:53 am

Indy5 wrote:
BigCat wrote:I am surprised that you feel there is anyone "tearing them down." The conversation or argument, as some have called it, is about private programs that some feel should be Class A or in their own division/class. The passion in the debate is largely driven by folks who grew up in, or are from, rural/smaller class B schools who don't have the luxury of a large metro area that draws families with athletes. They live with what they have, with very small chance of ever building a dynasty like some of the larger communities including Minot, Bismarck, Fargo, Dickinson, and years ago, Bottineau. If you take #2 through #10 in the current poll, it would make a great, competitvie class B tourney. Ryan would have to lay the largest egg ever not to totally dominate again this year with their size and talent.

Do you actually know how privates schools work? You're responses so far have seemed like you think there is a city wide draft or something. They can't "build" teams like you keep saying.

I can't speak for every "B" person, but I know recruiting was brought up many times in the crowd when watching Ryan or Oak Grove at State. Actually Hannah Stewart is great example. From what I understand she transferred to Ryan, and with no other info that seems suspicious. When we have more info (believe her parents came back to ND for career opportunities) we understand it's legitimate.

The only problem is this seems to happen VERY frequently at the privates, where it almost never happens in the smaller Class B schools (obviously the small towns don't have the same career opportunities).
east sider
NDPreps Starter

Postby scoobyx2 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:17 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:
scoobyx2 wrote:I think the private schools should compete in Class A simply because they live in a bigger city and their students have opportunities that rural kids may not have. It doesn't mean the teams are better, but they do have competitive opportunities that are easier to access than for rural kids. For example, if a Dickinson Trinity kid wants to play hockey, they will work out something with Dickinson High. If a Minot Ryan kid wants to swim, they can swim for Minot High. Any Class B student can work out something too, but it is very challenging if you have to travel 75 miles to practice. Many parents like Class A schools because they offer a lot of different opportunities not necessarily because they can beat Class B schools, and private schools in bigger cities can offer that to their students too.

Then what do you do with schools like DLB, Surrey, Thompson, etc.? Being only 10-15 minutes from the same communities they also have the same advantages.

People in DLB, Surrey, Thompson, Casselton, Kindred, etc. actually are small town residents which was most people associate Class B with. They give up certain benefits of living in the city in exchange for benefits associated with small town living.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:34 pm

scoobyx2 wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:

People in DLB, Surrey, Thompson, Casselton, Kindred, etc. actually are small town residents which was most people associate Class B with. They give up certain benefits of living in the city in exchange for benefits associated with small town living.

Yes, but they also still have the same advantages as the private schools in the larger towns. Easy access to YMCAs/rec centers, playing in summer leagues, playing against top competition from many schools, acceleration programs nearby, camps/instruction from college programs near by, and I can go on and on. It's also just as easy for someone to transfer to these outlining class B school as it is to a private school. I have no beef against either, my point is you just can't put private schools in Class A for a reason that is also available to traditional public B schools as well.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:18 pm

east sider wrote:I missed this game, but from what I've read not a lot of explanation of what happened. Did Ryan have a bad game, did Shanley have a good game? Stewart is the best player in "B" this year, and of the best ever. But is she even the best player in the state this year?

Bohl, Jacobson, Rotunda, and Stewart are all D1 caliber players. Shanley 5-9 is significantly better than Ryan 5-9. Wald got in foul trouble which really hurt Ryan. I feel if this game was played out 100 times, Shanley would win 60 times minimum. Ryan can't have Wald off the floor very much. Shanley is deep enough at guard where they can play 3 or 4 kids there. With Bohl and Stewart both being 4-5s, they are way more effective in the half court. Shanley plays zone every possession and tries to disrupt the other team before the ball gets to the paint area.

When Bohl or Stewart got the ball around the rim, they scored with great regularity.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby gvmearees » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:36 pm

Ill have to ask Mr Stewart and Mr Bohl where the Y is at in Parshall and/or Towner!!!
gvmearees
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Indy5 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:57 pm

gvmearees wrote:Ill have to ask Mr Stewart and Mr Bohl where the Y is at in Parshall and/or Towner!!!

I know this is facetious, but I know in the past there have been a very large number of TGU kids that go through acceleration programs at ASK in Minot. 40 miles for towner kids is do-able, and I would assume some live closer.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby justplayalready » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:48 am

I disagree that enrollment should be the sole factor on how schools are classed, but I just have a complaint, not a fix... other that a mid-class for privates and "metro area conference teams"
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby BigCat » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:30 am

Indy5, I'm done laughing now and finally able to type again! To your interesting shot over my bow that you wrote below. You have no idea. I've seen numerous job offers open up to fathers of stud athletes over the years from wealthy "private school" contributors. Yeah, its only one thing, I get it. But, if you think everyone sees Private the same as Public your are not only fooling yourself, but could apply your first sentence below to yourself.

BigCat
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baller » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:22 pm

I've seen a heck of a lot more "job offers" open up to parents of the likes at Mandan (girls basketball in the 90's and 00's) BHS boys at the same time, West Fargo wrestling, Davies had a boys basketball player...
The only notable tranfers to a private school have come at Shiloh the last couple years. You have a very closed off opinion if you are not looking at the big public schools before the private schools.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby BigCat » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:39 pm

Okay, my bad! You win! Private and Public are exactly the same! There are no differences at all! They adhere to the same rules! Ones no worse or better than the other! They should remain in 'B" forever! Call me converted! LOL!!!!
BigCat
NDPreps Starter

Postby EastBeast » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:23 pm

No Balla45, not directed at you.
fandb, i think you just said it best.

that's plain funny!
EastBeast
NDPreps Rookie

Postby EastBeast » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:48 pm

Good Lord Bigcat, do we have to go through this again? The news did a special last year before the state tourney. 4 out of the 5 starters for Ryan last year had either both, or at least 1, of their parents graduate from Ryan in the 80's. The exception was Bohl. She was created in a test tube in chemistry class at Ryan in 1998.
EastBeast
NDPreps Rookie

Postby tscheig » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:27 pm

I am new to the Bishop Ryan school. My kids have attended the past 2 years. These girls have earned what they have done. The have talented bigs. Not just bigs. These girls practice practice practice. They have earned and developed their talent. From the guards to the bench. Graduation will hurt this year but don't think this school is done. With the coaching and community support. Tradition.
tscheig
NDPreps Rookie

Postby BigCat » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:46 pm

tscheig wrote:I am new to the Bishop Ryan school. My kids have attended the past 2 years. These girls have earned what they have done. The have talented bigs. Not just bigs. These girls practice practice practice. They have earned and developed their talent. From the guards to the bench. Graduation will hurt this year but don't think this school is done. With the coaching and community support. Tradition.

Hey, if that was directed towards me, I've got one for you. Before you and everyone else knights Ryan the kings of Class B for the past 50 years, do me one favor. Assess the states teams and talent along with the top 10 or 15 players in this way. Make every one of the top 15 players of your choice 5'9". Put them all on individual teams with the same supporting cast. Now, tell me who the top 10 are based on overall talent as an individual and team player. Yeah, it's a different way to look at things, but it takes the duo's, height, and individualism out of the equation. I will take a 5'8" or 5'9" that can handle the ball, rebounds, sees the floor, and can run/press the whole game without tiring long before physical attributes like size. By the way, they all practice, practice, practice!
BigCat
NDPreps Starter

Postby radball » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:24 pm

I am not allowed to post or contribute on www.northdakotapreps.com until I reveal which Division 1 basketball program I work for.
radball
NDPreps Starter

Postby radball » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:26 pm

I am not allowed to post or contribute on www.northdakotapreps.com until I reveal which Division 1 basketball program I work for.
radball
NDPreps Starter

Postby fandb » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:34 pm

BigCat wrote:
tscheig wrote:I am new to the Bishop Ryan school. My kids have attended the past 2 years. These girls have earned what they have done. The have talented bigs. Not just bigs. These girls practice practice practice. They have earned and developed their talent. From the guards to the bench. Graduation will hurt this year but don't think this school is done. With the coaching and community support. Tradition.

Hey, if that was directed towards me, I've got one for you. Before you and everyone else knights Ryan the kings of Class B for the past 50 years, do me one favor. Assess the states teams and talent along with the top 10 or 15 players in this way. Make every one of the top 15 players of your choice 5'9". Put them all on individual teams with the same supporting cast. Now, tell me who the top 10 are based on overall talent as an individual and team player. Yeah, it's a different way to look at things, but it takes the duo's, height, and individualism out of the equation. I will take a 5'8" or 5'9" that can handle the ball, rebounds, sees the floor, and can run/press the whole game without tiring long before physical attributes like size. By the way, they all practice, practice, practice!

I think both BigCat and Radball are looking for a 6 ft and under league. Saw one of those tournaments once. I think it is really catching on nationwide. Look at most of the NCAA teams, both men and women tower at 5'8-5'9" :roll:
fandb
NDPreps Starter

Postby fandb » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:48 pm

radball wrote:
BigCat wrote:
tscheig wrote:I am new to the Bishop Ryan school. My kids have attended the past 2 years. These girls have earned what they have done. The have talented bigs. Not just bigs. These girls practice practice practice. They have earned and developed their talent. From the guards to the bench. Graduation will hurt this year but don't think this school is done. With the coaching and community support.

Tradition.

Hey, if that was directed towards me, I've got one for you. Before you and everyone else knights Ryan the kings of Class B for the past 50 years, do me one favor. Assess the states teams and talent along with the top 10 or 15 players in this way. Make every one of the top 15 players of your choice 5'9". Put them all on individual teams with the same supporting cast. Now, tell me who the top 10 are based on overall talent as an individual and team player. Yeah, it's a different way to look at things, but it takes the duo's, height, and individualism out of the equation. I will take a 5'8" or 5'9" that can handle the ball, rebounds, sees the floor, and can run/press the whole game without tiring long before physical attributes like size. By the way, they all practice, practice, practice![/quote
I totally agree with bigcat on this, I'll take a athletic guard/forward, that can dribble in traffic and pass the ball good,somewhat can shoot(but helps open others also), and rebound and be a leader. Over 2 tall slow people that tire quick, can anybody say "Loyal Marrymount university" remember their style? Do admit though, Ryan is good, but can be beat by a fast past team that don't miss shots.

I sure wish in track everyone was the same size, speed, and strength. That would make for an outstanding Olympics. :lol:
fandb
NDPreps Starter

Postby BigCat » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:04 pm

fandb wrote:
BigCat wrote:

I think both BigCat and Radball are looking for a 6 ft and under league. Saw one of those tournaments once. I think it is really catching on nationwide. Look at most of the NCAA teams, both men and women tower at 5'8-5'9" :roll:

Doesn't shock me that you missed the point. Just tired of hearing about the legacy that is "ryan basketball." Good run, yes. Dynasty, I don't know. They've got heigth with talent. That was the point. There have been better all around teams from around the state in the past listed earlier on this thread. By the way, it you want to get into personal comparisons, reading this post, it is obvious to me that you will eventually step on your pee-pee and I will be there waiting to pounce. :lol:
BigCat
NDPreps Starter

Postby BigCat » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:37 pm

fandb wrote:
radball wrote:
BigCat wrote:
tscheig wrote:I am new to the Bishop Ryan school. My kids have attended the past 2 years. These girls have earned what they have done. The have talented bigs. Not just bigs. These girls practice practice practice. They have earned and developed their talent. From the guards to the bench. Graduation will hurt this year but don't think this school is done. With the coaching and community support.

Tradition.

Hey, if that was directed towards me, I've got one for you. Before you and everyone else knights Ryan the kings of Class B for the past 50 years, do me one favor. Assess the states teams and talent along with the top 10 or 15 players in this way. Make every one of the top 15 players of your choice 5'9". Put them all on individual teams with the same supporting cast. Now, tell me who the top 10 are based on overall talent as an individual and team player. Yeah, it's a different way to look at things, but it takes the duo's, height, and individualism out of the equation. I will take a 5'8" or 5'9" that can handle the ball, rebounds, sees the floor, and can run/press the whole game without tiring long before physical attributes like size. By the way, they all practice, practice, practice![/quote
I totally agree with bigcat on this, I'll take a athletic guard/forward, that can dribble in traffic and pass the ball good,somewhat can shoot(but helps open others also), and rebound and be a leader. Over 2 tall slow people that tire quick, can anybody say "Loyal Marrymount university" remember their style? Do admit though, Ryan is good, but can be beat by a fast past team that don't miss shots.

I sure wish in track everyone was the same size, speed, and strength. That would make for an outstanding Olympics. :lol:

Hey radball, I mean fanb, you missed the point again. A nerve was obviously touched. What cheerleading outfit are you wearing? No offense to cheerleaders meant!
BigCat
NDPreps Starter

Postby fandb » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:43 pm

BigCat wrote:
fandb wrote:
radball wrote:
BigCat wrote:

Tradition.

Hey radball, I mean fanb, you missed the point again. A nerve was obviously touched. What cheerleading outfit are you wearing? No offense to cheerleaders meant!

Not missing any point. Wait, dont try to reason via internet. Your right.
Pounce away
fandb
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Girls