HOW ABOUT A RETURN TO CLASS "C"?

The Buzz on Class B.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

HOW ABOUT A RETURN TO CLASS "C"?

Postby neilhwenberg » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:56 am

I would like to see Class "C" basketball return to ND! Co-oping does not do much for small schools. Go back to former ND Class "C", Alsen 79 game win streak, two state championships. Willow City two state championships. These championships provided a lot of pride and "bragging rights" for these small communities. Lets do more to encourage small town ND!
neilhwenberg
NDPreps Rookie

Re: HOW ABOUT A RETURN TO CLASS "C"?

Postby heimer » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:07 pm

Neil,

After years on this board, I have two comments about your thread:

1. Good bark.
2. Wrong tree.
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby east sider » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:01 pm

Sorry but this isn't the 70's. I agree Co-oping doesn't do much for small schools and probably dulls the pride of small towns associated with them, but it ain't gonna happen...I too wish it would also.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alsen,_North_Dakota
east sider
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:29 pm

Small town doesn't have enough players for 5 on 5 Class B basketball why would they have enough for 5 on 5 Class C basketball?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndcharlie37 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:40 am

I also recall those great days of class "C" BB. (especially the 50's, my era). However, I simply can't see the logistics supporting such a change. If someone has a "workable plan" as to how this "return" could be accomplished I would like to hear it. At present I think that those of us who recall those great days of small town Class "C" pride will probably have to be content to rest on our "MEMORIES" of the "Good Old Days".
ndcharlie37
NDPreps Reserve

Postby winner-within » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:59 pm

heimer wrote:Neil,

After years on this board, I have two comments about your thread:

1. Good bark.
2. Wrong tree.

:D

the forest lacks trees
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:04 pm

neilhwenberg wrote:I would like to see Class "C" basketball return to ND! Co-oping does not do much for small schools. Go back to former ND Class "C", Alsen 79 game win streak, two state championships. Willow City two state championships. These championships provided a lot of pride and "bragging rights" for these small communities. Lets do more to encourage small town ND!

along with this lets bring back 500 to 1,000 acre farmsteads with a husband wife and 6-12 kids on each and 50-100 people in each township...then we could do class C ...or, or, we could eliminate Class A by building 10 more schools in fargo W/fargo metro, 6 more in bis-man, 4 more in minot, 10 more on oil field, 4 more in GF, a few more here and there and we could have Class B and Class C
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby HammerTime » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:31 pm

I dont think its a bad idea. I just think that maybe we're focusing on the wrong point of re-alignment for a class C. How about you take the bigger Class B schools, Valley City,Wahpeton and the private schools and put them in a separate class.
HammerTime
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby irisheel » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:45 pm

HammerTime wrote:I dont think its a bad idea. I just think that maybe we're focusing on the wrong point of re-alignment for a class C. How about you take the bigger Class B schools, Valley City,Wahpeton and the private schools and put them in a separate class.

I know where you're going with this, but the two bolded schools aren't class B. So you'd take these two, Shanley, Shiloh Christian, Our Redeemers, Oak Grove, etc??

Seems right :?
irisheel
NDPreps Reserve

Postby HammerTime » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:53 am

Yeah. I mentioned them because they'd likely be affected by the creation of a third, middle class.
HammerTime
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby lennylive » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:28 am

Their should be 3 classes in ND...there is still to many smaller schools having to compete against a Larger school enrollment... even though they draw kids from a large area...they cannot compete against your larger schools.... there has to be a way to align it so those schools with mid sized(Dickinson Trinity,Grafton,Casselton,Carrington,RugbyHarvey,Minot Ryan,etc) enrollments can be in their own class...larger schools (class A mainly Fargo,Bismark,Williston,etc) and smaller schools.... Enderlin,Solen,Pingree,North Seargeant,Flasher,Max..should be class C....its based on school enrollment..cant be that hard....... Many other States have several classes... Come on North Dakota...Get with the Program !...Bring Pride back to these smaller Schools !
lennylive
NDPreps Starter

Postby hawk41 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:33 pm

Love this topic and love this post!

"Their should be 3 classes in ND...there is still to many smaller schools having to compete against a Larger school enrollment... even though they draw kids from a large area...they cannot compete against your larger schools.... there has to be a way to align it so those schools with mid sized(Dickinson Trinity,Grafton,Casselton,Carrington,RugbyHarvey,Minot Ryan,etc) enrollments can be in their own class...larger schools (class A mainly Fargo,Bismark,Williston,etc) and smaller schools.... Enderlin,Solen,Pingree,North Seargeant,Flasher,Max..should be class C....its based on school enrollment..cant be that hard....... Many other States have several classes... Come on North Dakota...Get with the Program !...Bring Pride back to these smaller Schools !"
hawk41
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Hinsa » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:52 pm

Why did they shut down Class C in the first place? What was the reason?
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:10 pm

From NDHSAA website:

"After the 1950 season, the Consolidated League merged with the High School League, becoming a part of the "C" division, "for a 5-year trial period." Actually, the merger has existed to the present time. It is rumored, though there is nothing in the records to verify the same, that there was a gentleman's agreement at the time of the merger, that the Class C division would never be abolished except upon a vote of the Class C schools themselves. However, when the vote was taken in 1963 to go back to the two class system, all member schools voted on the amendment."
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Hinsa » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:03 pm

Thanks for the info.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby ReadyToPlay » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:55 am

Hammer Time hit the nail on the head. Just go to AA,A,B. This would a lot more realistic as population increases in the breakfast communities. The "old 5 to 7 kid families" rarely bring back their now "2 kid family" back to Mayberry.
ReadyToPlay
NDPreps Starter

Return to Basketball - Class B