North Dakota Girls Basketball

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

North Dakota Girls Basketball

Postby balla45 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:23 am

I find that the talent in our state is incredibly impressive.

When was the last time something like this happened?

2015s

Gabbie Bohl - ranked 19th forward nationally
Fallyn Freije - last heard was at 6 D1 offers
Jorydn Jossart - committed to Marist College
Lexi Klabo - committed to the University of North Dakota
Hannah Stewart - 95th in country - committed to Iowa

2016s

Cassie Askvig - significant D1 and D2 interest
Sarah Jacobson - last heard at multiple D1 offers
Rylee Nudell - last heard with a lot of D1 and D2 interest
Jaye Two Bears - D1 interest, NDSU offer

2017s

Ashley Davis - significant D1 and D2 interest
Tylee Irwin - UND offer, may have more
Macey Kvilvang - about to completely blow up
Akealy Moton - signifcant D1 interest

2018s

Amber Burtness - last heard had some D1 interest
Regan Linster - some D1 and D2 interest
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Re: North Dakota Girls Basketball

Postby scoobyx2 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:16 pm

Just for the sake of a discussion, I felt that the Classes of 2007 - 2010 (hopefully I'm close) were probably the most talented class of basketball players outside the 80's. Many didn't pursuit it or finish, but they were definitely looked at, and the competition that they faced in high school at that time was extremely high. Class A was stacked, and there were a lot of Class B talent in the mix.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby east sider » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:06 pm

I agree with you that this is a pretty special time for ND Girls BB. Hannah Stewart is like the Tim Tebow of Girls B. Jacobson, because of her name and experience, seems like she has been playing going on 10 years. Hopefully it'll continue on even past 2018

Sources for the two Minot girls being ranked?

Funny thing is I feel it's a special time on the boys side as well, except for opposite reasons. I feel the talent is impressively bad. Thoughts? Maybe I'm being too hard on them comparing them to the girls??
east sider
NDPreps Starter

Postby fandb » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:58 pm

As stated, could be interesting year. Kudos to Jacobson at Shanley and Stewart at Bishop Ryan for putting game together. Good for girls basketball. Egos were put in closet.
Stewart is Tebow of ND basketball?
fandb
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:11 am

east sider wrote:I agree with you that this is a pretty special time for ND Girls BB. Hannah Stewart is like the Tim Tebow of Girls B. Jacobson, because of her name and experience, seems like she has been playing going on 10 years. Hopefully it'll continue on even past 2018

Funny thing is I feel it's a special time on the boys side as well, except for opposite reasons. I feel the talent is impressively bad. Thoughts? Maybe I'm being too hard on them comparing them to the girls??

Minot girls can be found ranked on ESPN.

Boys doesn't seem impressively bad. 2015 has a few D2 kids. 2016 has a few D2. 2017 is pretty loaded. 2018 has some high end potential.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby east sider » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:20 am

fandb wrote:As stated, could be interesting year. Kudos to Jacobson at Shanley and Stewart at Bishop Ryan for putting game together. Good for girls basketball. Egos were put in closet.

Ha, let me elaborate: College Tebow, not NFL Tebow. ie No matter where you rank her individually, she'll go down as perhaps the greatest winner in Girls B history.
east sider
NDPreps Starter

Postby east sider » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:23 am

balla45 wrote:
east sider wrote:I agree with you that this is a pretty special time for ND Girls BB. Hannah Stewart is like the Tim Tebow of Girls B. Jacobson, because of her name and experience, seems like she has been playing going on 10 years. Hopefully it'll continue on even past 2018

Minot girls can be found ranked on ESPN.

Boys doesn't seem impressively bad. 2015 has a few D2 kids. 2016 has a few D2. 2017 is pretty loaded. 2018 has some high end potential.

Are these prospects a good mix from both A and B? I'm more familiar with Class B historically, so what I said was only meant for boys B. Class A boys looks like it's doing fine.
east sider
NDPreps Starter

Postby east sider » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:25 am

And to be honest my opinions only come from watching State each year, so it's easy to miss out on some great Class B players who don't make it. But from what I've seen at state I've not been impressed lately.
east sider
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sniper » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:34 pm

east sider wrote:And to be honest my opinions only come from watching State each year, so it's easy to miss out on some great Class B players who don't make it. But from what I've seen at state I've not been impressed lately.

A lot of really good players never make it to state.
Sniper
NDPreps All-State

Postby fandb » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:03 am

fandb wrote:As stated, could be interesting year. Kudos to Jacobson at Shanley and Stewart at Bishop Ryan for putting game together. Good for girls basketball. Egos were put in closet.

To clarify, I was talking about the head coaches of Bishop Ryan and Fargo Shanley. Does anyone know if A Champ has ever played B champ with either boys or girls?
I see where Jacobson and Stewart played AAU this summer for a Minnesota team . We're they teammates?
fandb
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:13 pm

last spring in the Grand am it was a Phenom team mostly A (miss BBall) and a Ryan girl I believe vs some of the east side of ND B girls including Freije
few Jrs & sophs playing on eastside I know....this team was hoping to get Weber (thompson HS I believe) she couldn't play....henningsgard had to take off to Lake region later that day and didn't play in the Championship....Phenom team won by 5 pts or so..Thought Freije was MVP myself... :)
Last edited by winner-within on Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:16 pm

fandb wrote:I see where Jacobson and Stewart played AAU this summer for a Minnesota team . We're they teammates?

Nope. Same program, North Tartan, but different teams. Stewart was on the 17 yo team and Jacobson was on the 16 yo team.

Balla would know more, but North Tartan is one of the best programs in the country.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:14 pm

winner-within wrote:last spring in the Grand am it was a Phenom team mostly A (miss BBall) and a Ryan girl I believe vs some of the east side of ND B girls including Freije
few Jrs & sophs playing on eastside I know....this team was hoping to get Weber (thompson HS I believe) she couldn't play....henningsgard had to take off to Lake region later that day and didn't play in the Championship....Phenom team won by 5 pts or so..Thought Freije was MVP myself... :)

That event we used a combo group. Paige Peterson, Mckayla Howling Wolf, Jordyn Jossart, Cass Wilhelm, Hannah Jacobs, Lakin Peterson, and Jaye Two Bears.

We actually played Fallyn in the championship the past 2 years and she put up big numbers against us both years.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:16 pm

Flip wrote:
fandb wrote:I see where Jacobson and Stewart played AAU this summer for a Minnesota team . We're they teammates?

Nope. Same program, North Tartan, but different teams. Stewart was on the 17 yo team and Jacobson was on the 16 yo team.

Balla would know more, but North Tartan is one of the best programs in the country.

North Tartan Nike Elite was freaky last year. Stewart's team played ND Pro, who had a ton of D1 and D2 talent this year, and beat them by 50 or so, and ND Pro had a good summer. I believe NTEYBL had 4 players ranked in the top 100 this past summer.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:20 pm

@winner-within I believe Fallyn currently holds D1 offers from NDSU, UND, SDSU, USD, MSU, and KSU.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby east sider » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:46 am

balla,

Sounds like you see tons of talented out of state players. I was just curious if you think Stewart is ranked where she should be, or if you think she should be higher or lower? I just have this homer bias that she is underrated because of where she lives and doesn't get much exposure. How does she do against some of the best out there?
east sider
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:08 am

Stewart was one of the best players on one of the best teams in the country. I doubt there are 90+ players in her class better than her, but I'm not working for ESPN either haha.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:56 pm

So in your opinion is she better than Jacobson?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:07 pm

I don't want to touch that one.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby scoobyx2 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:15 am

balla45 wrote:I don't want to touch that one.

Just to spark a little interest on this site...

I think Stewart is the best basketball player who is playing in ND right now. There are a lot of talented players who can easily enter the discussion, but it is hard to dispute 2 State Championships, 2 MVP Awards, 1st team selection since her freshmen year, a D1 commitment, and it doesn't hurt being 6'2" or 6'3" who may play a guard in the Big 10. There are juniors who could prove to have a more impressive resume, and this year will say a lot.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:22 am

Just to play devil's advocate using mostly facts and 1 opinion, Gabbie Bohl, as it is a fun discussion.

Freije was first team as a freshman, but Stewart was not. Jacobson was first team as a freshman and sophomore, with a title as a sophomore, which is the same as Stewart. I would also say that Gabbie Bohl is the best second best player on any team in ND in A or B.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby fandb » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:21 am

I was pleased to see the wisdom of balla in not choosing the best player in ND. 2 different players playing different positions in different systems. The state has some great talent.
Gabbie Bohl and Stewart definitely make quite the tandom. I got a chance to see the stats for some teams last year. The numbers the two of them put up and the efficiency they do it at is remarkable.
Jacobsons numbers are equally impressive with defenses keying on her.
Freije is a wonderful all around player that puts up numbers in a tough situation.
For the first time in years, the Class B team in the Lions game should be loaded on the B side.
Think of the possible starting 5 for the B?
Does the winning coach of the State team choose the players for that game?
fandb
NDPreps Starter

Postby fandb » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:24 am

Pedigree:
You think of the players mentioned on this discussion.
I believe all the parents played college ball.
Dont know about spouses but at least one parent played.
Is Gabbie the daughter of Kevin Bohl. I believe he played and coached.
fandb
NDPreps Starter

Postby scoobyx2 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:47 am

balla45 wrote:Just to play devil's advocate using mostly facts and 1 opinion, Gabbie Bohl, as it is a fun discussion.

Freije was first team as a freshman, but Stewart was not. Jacobson was first team as a freshman and sophomore, with a title as a sophomore, which is the same as Stewart. I would also say that Gabbie Bohl is the best second best player on any team in ND in A or B.

I appreciate your opinion, and I know that you respect the talents of a lot of athletes in the state. You and I have been in involved in some great discussions on this site, and I think its great to see an opinion or two without someone getting bashed for it. (Heck...I wouldn't mind seeing someone get bashed either.)

I agree with the fact that Bohl is a dominant player, and I put her as the 2nd best player in the state too, for now. I believe Ryan won last year's championship with her play under the basket in the last half of the game. As far as the Lion's All-Star games go, do you think the players that go D1 out of state will be able to play? I know in the past, their preseason schedules can get pretty intense right after graduation.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:37 pm

fandb wrote:Pedigree:
You think of the players mentioned on this discussion.
I believe all the parents played college ball.
Dont know about spouses but at least one parent played.
Is Gabbie the daughter of Kevin Bohl. I believe he played and coached.

Yes on Kevin being her father.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to Girls