North Dakota Girls Basketball

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

North Dakota Girls Basketball

Postby balla45 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 am

I find that the talent in our state is incredibly impressive.

When was the last time something like this happened?

2015s

Gabbie Bohl (Bishop Ryan) - ranked 19th forward nationally
Fallyn Freije (Lakota/Edmore) - last heard was at 6 D1 offers
Jorydn Jossart (Bismarck Century) - committed to Marist College
Lexi Klabo (Fargo Davies) - committed to the University of North Dakota
Hannah Stewart (Bishop Ryan) - 95th in country - committed to Iowa

2016s

Cassie Askvig (Minot) - significant D1 and D2 interest
Sarah Jacobson (Fargo Shanley) - last heard at multiple D1 offers
Rylee Nudell (Maple Valley) - last heard with a lot of D1 and D2 interest
Jaye Two Bears (Shiloh Christian) - D1 interest, NDSU offer

2017s

Ashley Davis (Turtle Mountain) - significant D1 and D2 interest
Tylee Irwin (Wahpeton) - UND offer, may have more
Macey Kvilvang (North Star) - about to completely blow up
Akealy Moton (West Fargo) - signifcant D1 interest

2018s

Amber Burtness (Devils Lake) - last heard had some D1 interest
Regan Linster (Dickinson) - some D1 and D2 interest
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Re: North Dakota Girls Basketball

Postby MoSiouxFan » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:56 pm

balla45 wrote:I find that the talent in our state is incredibly impressive.

When was the last time something like this happened?

2015s

Gabbie Bohl - ranked 19th forward nationally
Fallyn Freije - last heard was at 6 D1 offers
Jorydn Jossart - committed to Marist College
Lexi Klabo - committed to the University of North Dakota
Hannah Stewart - 95th in country - committed to Iowa

2016s

Cassie Askvig - significant D1 and D2 interest
Sarah Jacobson - last heard at multiple D1 offers
Rylee Nudell - last heard with a lot of D1 and D2 interest
Jaye Two Bears - D1 interest, NDSU offer

2017s

Ashley Davis - significant D1 and D2 interest
Tylee Irwin - UND offer, may have more
Macey Kvilvang - about to completely blow up
Akealy Moton - signifcant D1 interest

2018s

Amber Burtness - last heard had some D1 interest
Regan Linster - some D1 and D2 interest

Only familiar with 4 or 5 of these names. If you have time, could you name the schools that they play for. Sorry, I'm from out of state and not as familiar as most of you guys with these names.
MoSiouxFan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby east sider » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:09 pm

To answer your question I doubt there has ever been this much talent on the girls side when looking at a 3 year period.
east sider
NDPreps Starter

Postby scoobyx2 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:44 pm

I just think the talent level was much higher when the Kelpinskis from Mandan and the Feeneys from BHS played from the WDA, and the EDC especially Fargo South was strong throughout. In those years, almost all the Class A teams had a college recruit on their roster. Of course, a lot of colleges in the area have now moved up to D2 or D1 which gives in state kids more opportunities, but our top players are not facing a lot of competition.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby go maji » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:46 am

scoobyx2 wrote:I just think the talent level was much higher when the Kelpinskis from Mandan and the Feeneys from BHS played from the WDA, and the EDC especially Fargo South was strong throughout. In those years, almost all the Class A teams had a college recruit on their roster. Of course, a lot of colleges in the area have now moved up to D2 or D1 which gives in state kids more opportunities, but our top players are not facing a lot of competition.

That probably has some to do with coaching. I don't know who the South coach is, but since greg Amundson left Mandan, and the BHS coach left Bismarck, they don't have a championship.

Coincidence?
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby scoobyx2 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:32 am

go maji wrote:
scoobyx2 wrote:I just think the talent level was much higher when the Kelpinskis from Mandan and the Feeneys from BHS played from the WDA, and the EDC especially Fargo South was strong throughout. In those years, almost all the Class A teams had a college recruit on their roster. Of course, a lot of colleges in the area have now moved up to D2 or D1 which gives in state kids more opportunities, but our top players are not facing a lot of competition.

That probably has some to do with coaching. I don't know who the South coach is, but since greg Amundson left Mandan, and the BHS coach left Bismarck, they don't have a championship.

Coincidence?

I don't believe its a coincidence. Amundson set the bar on running a program as he won on standouts and depth, and the state benefitted as other coaches tried to match him. Now we are watching the battle of any team that has 1 standout and whether any opposing team can stop her. Minot Ryan is probably the best team (A or B) because they have the most depth with 2 standouts, and possibly the strongest coaching in the State. I would list Century second because they have the most depth.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby go maji » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:09 pm

scoobyx2 wrote:
go maji wrote:

Coincidence?

I don't believe its a coincidence. Amundson set the bar on running a program as he won on standouts and depth, and the state benefitted as other coaches tried to match him. Now we are watching the battle of any team that has 1 standout and whether any opposing team can stop her. Minot Ryan is probably the best team (A or B) because they have the most depth with 2 standouts, and possibly the strongest coaching in the State. I would list Century second because they have the most depth.

My Uncle is Greg Amundson. I watched one of his games in Minneapolis last year. Apparently he wins where ever he goes. I Actually asked him to apply for the Minot job.

He respectfully declined. :cry:
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby scoobyx2 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:46 am

go maji wrote:
scoobyx2 wrote:
go maji wrote:

Coincidence?

My Uncle is Greg Amundson. I watched one of his games in Minneapolis last year. Apparently he wins where ever he goes. I Actually asked him to apply for the Minot job.

He respectfully declined. :cry:

Minot's programs would probably improve if they got another high school. That may encourage more athletes coming out of the middle schools to continue playing. I would love to see Amundson take a job in a town like Williston. They have a ton of kids from all over the country looking for something to do, and they just need a strong leader to guide them.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby east sider » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:36 am

I was out of the state during the Kelpinski era, so I guess I can't compare. I also knew mostly about B, so I've got a rather narrow perspective. Thinking back to before I left, there was quite a bit of talent then too. I just think it'll be awhile before we see the likes of a Stewart in Class B again. She has set the bar pretty high. Throw in Bohl, Freije, Nudell, and Kvilvang and it would be tough for me to to come up with 5 better prospects in Class B from any era I can think of.
east sider
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:12 am

I could see that. I just started making a list in my head and can think of a ton of NSIC+ talent from that era.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby scoobyx2 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:59 am

balla45 wrote:

I could see that. I just started making a list in my head and can think of a ton of NSIC+ talent from that era.

I am absolutely not trying to dispute the fact that there are talented current athletes, but there use to be some intense games with great individual matches which we don't really see anymore. There also use to be teams with a "6th Man" that would be All-State caliber now. Players like Kelsi Sigl (Bismarck) and Mady Buck (Century) were considered good, but not "premier" players, and both went on to having All-American college careers. The talented ND players now have the opportunity to prove there talents in AAU ball, but if we were to critique them on their school ball careers like their predecessors, it would be an interesting debate.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Duttenhefer » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:19 am

I truely believe the talent level in girls basketball is at in all time high. There are so many talented girls state wide. In Minot you have Gabbie Bohl and Hannah Stewart along with twin sisters McKale and Sierra Duttenhefer have played at varsity levels since 8th and 9th grade. Over in the East Sarah Jacobson has been on the varsity roster for Shanley since 7th grade. So as you can see there have been girls playing at a high level 4-6 years. Girls basketball in North Dakota is only getting better.
Duttenhefer
NDPreps Rookie

Return to Girls