Whats going on at Minot State?

No smack talk is allowed here.

Whats going on at Minot State?

Postby Basketballfan » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:30 pm

Heard Rumor that MR. Baskeball Adam Randell, and both Matt and Dan Yale told Murken there done. This coming after another basketball player quit. Thats 4 within a month. Okay so you take away the local boys you take away the local crowd, not really a great pratice for putting people in the stands. Now i understand that a coach is hired to win games but attendace is also a factor. We have the local talent in the area to compete at this level. Local people bring in local attendance. I am wrong? I would rather go watch kids i have watched competeing in high school play at an upper level and lose then someone from 10 states away that i have never heard of. I ubderstand that you need to bring in some talent from other places to round things off and that i have no problem with. IMO not a good move for Minot State and i hope this maybe wakes up the athletic director and gets things fixed.
Basketballfan
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Whats going on at Minot State?

Postby digger » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:51 pm

No idea what, if anything is going on with the players. I don't agree with your take on the local talent angle. I love North Dakota high school hoops however there just isn't enough local talent to make Minot State or Mary competitive in the NSIC. There will be a few ND kids on the rosters but if a coach tried to build a program with ND kids, he wouldn't be coaching very long. I think there might be 3-4 kids going to NSIC schools (Weisbeck, Kretchman, Rudolph, ?) next season, I hope they have success.

Minot and Mary are going to have their work cut out for them in the NSIC. The successful programs have their recruiting bases set; Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, South Dakota, connections in the JC and D-I world for transfers. Tough to get a really good player away from Winona, Mankato, Augie, MSUM, SW MN State, Northern, St. Cloud, to come to Minot.
digger
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby go maji » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:23 pm

This isn't the first time this has happened(Maurer, both crosbys). Anyways they really didn't contribute that much. Do you think Kentucky would have the #1 recruiting class if they recruited just local kids? Of coarse not.
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sportsrube » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:21 am

I am a Minot State alumni and I would like to see improvement in a lot of their sports programs. It seems like the only one that has competed consistently is the Women's basketball team, and for that I give a lot of credit to Sheila Green-Gerding. I watched the Beavers play a couple of times this year and I just don't think Randall or the Yales have the talent to be starters or top contributers at the NCAA II level. I think they would be very competitive at the NAIA level. I would like to see more local kids at Minot State also, but first they have to be able to play at that level and second they have to want to go to Minot State, it is a tough sell to a number of kids for whatever reason. Hopefully Mr. Hedberg and the coaches get it figured out quickly, I would love to see Minot State at the top of the NSIC north division in a year or two.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby kramer85 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:35 pm

digger wrote:No idea what, if anything is going on with the players. I don't agree with your take on the local talent angle. I love North Dakota high school hoops however there just isn't enough local talent to make Minot State or Mary competitive in the NSIC. There will be a few ND kids on the rosters but if a coach tried to build a program with ND kids, he wouldn't be coaching very long. I think there might be 3-4 kids going to NSIC schools (Weisbeck, Kretchman, Rudolph, ?) next season, I hope they have success.

Minot and Mary are going to have their work cut out for them in the NSIC. The successful programs have their recruiting bases set; Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, South Dakota, connections in the JC and D-I world for transfers. Tough to get a really good player away from Winona, Mankato, Augie, MSUM, SW MN State, Northern, St. Cloud, to come to Minot.

I couldn't disagree with you more. UMary had one ND player on their team and he didn't see time (check their record for this year). Minot had ND playes but look who did most of their playing time (look at their record). If you are not going to win why not try ND talent so people show up at the game. Look at Northern State, attendance leader in dII, a lot of SD players, and very good record. The problem I see are coaches that head these programs are not from ND and thus don't think ND players can play. Crookston is another example of non local players and look at their record and attendance. OUCH.
kramer85
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Indy5 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:05 pm

From what I've heard they just didn't get along with the coach. Matt maybe saw the writing on the wall and was sick not getting to play that late in his career. I think Dan and Randall had a chance to contribute later in their careers. They were only in their 2nd year in the program and were better prospects out of high school.

I know basketball is different and more difficult to recruit ND players I believe, but this was part of the downfall of the MSU football program, in my opinion. They just didn't get the top ND talent. If you look at their best players last year, they were local kids.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportsrube » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:54 am

Kramer85 makes a good point about Northern State. They have success with a lot of home state players. Part of that is the stability in their coaching staff. Frederickson has been their forever (they may have built the Barnett Center around him!) and Sather was an assistant, then left for a head job and came back to become the head coach. They have also had a lot of stability in the AD position until last year. Both the women's and men's teams have a lot of SD and Minnesota kids with at least 1 ND kid on the men's team. (Mack Arvidson) They are fun to watch and the fact that they lead the Conference in fan attendance is a huge selling point to recruits - come to NSU and play in front of a full house every other weekend. As I said before, I am a Minot State Alum and I hope they get their men's BB and FB programs figured out soon.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby go maji » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:56 am

I don't know if Northern is a good example. Because Northern has 6 locals and Minot has 4. Not that big of a difference. All the local players are basically role players. Not to be biased or anything, but 3 of them are class "B" players. Minot state could have done a better job in recruiting IMO. I think MSU should have contacted Kretchmen, Wiesbeck, Sparks, whoever (this year). Players who are maybe used to up-tempo pace of D II. But I am very optimistic about the Tyler Rydolph commit. And the Belcourt kid.

By the way, if we're talking about locals, Mary only has 1.
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sportsrube » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:42 am

I think the biggest difference for Northern is the talent level of the locals that they have managed to recruit (and seem to recruit every year). They get some of the better players from SD and they play major minutes for them. Hopefully Minot can do the same, I would love to see the Beavers be competitive in the NSIC and I would love to see the FB program get competitive in the NSIC also.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby go maji » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:53 pm

Sportsrube wrote:I think the biggest difference for Northern is the talent level of the locals that they have managed to recruit (and seem to recruit every year). They get some of the better players from SD and they play major minutes for them. Hopefully Minot can do the same, I would love to see the Beavers be competitive in the NSIC and I would love to see the FB program get competitive in the NSIC also.

I hate to say it, but South Dakota high schools are up another level, athletic wise.

When it come to college basketball, South dakota players go to SDST, USD, or NSU. But North Dakota players like to skip town (so to speak).
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:32 pm

go maji wrote:I hate to say it, but South Dakota high schools are up another level, athletic wise.

Classmate of mine who played BB at NDSU used to say the same thing.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportsrube » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:58 pm

I hate to say it, but South Dakota high schools are up another level, athletic wise.

When it come to college basketball, South dakota players go to SDST, USD, or NSU. But North Dakota players like to skip town (so to speak).[/quote]

I agree 100%, that's what I meant when I mentioned the caliber of "local" kids Northern recruits as to the caliber of "local" kids Minot State has been recruiting. Off the top of my head I would guess that SD has fewer colleges/universities to choose from than ND does also. Sometimes giving kids too many options isn't a good thing. (we end up with a local kid here, a local kid there, etc... and not 3 or 4 going to the same school to play BB.) Overall, in college sports, it usually comes down to recruiting, if you recruit well you tend to do well, if you miss on the recruiting end it can take a few years to get back to the top - kids want to play for winning programs, so one or two losing seasons can really hurt when you go out recruiting.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby YMCMB » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:11 pm

Does anyone know if the yales and Randall are playing anywhere else or are they still attending Minot state?
YMCMB
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Hinsa » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:40 pm

I disagree with the thought that SD has less colleges than ND. Here's a list of 4-year SD schools:

Northern State
SDSU
USD
Sioux Falls
Augustana
Presentation
Mount Marty
Dakota State
Dakota Weslyan
Black Hills State
School of Mines

That's 11. There are more but I believe these are the ones that participate in intercollegiate athletics.

ND Has:

UND
NDSU
Mayville
Valley City
Jamestown
Trinity
Mary
Dickinson
Minot State
3 large jucos: Lake Region and NDSCS and Williston

That's 12 if you include those jucos. So with those numbers the point about more schools and the effect it might have on recruiting is moot.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:00 pm

I think BSC is the largest JUCO in the state
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hinsa » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:29 pm

I completely whiffed on BSC, totally forgot them. Thanks for reminding me ndlionsfan. Still, I think these totals refute the idea that SD has a recruiting advantage because they have fewer schools. SD has a ton of jucos as well.
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:46 pm

go maji wrote:I don't know if Northern is a good example. Because Northern has 6 locals and Minot has 4. Not that big of a difference. All the local players are basically role players. Not to be biased or anything, but 3 of them are class "B" players. Minot state could have done a better job in recruiting IMO. I think MSU should have contacted Kretchmen, Wiesbeck, Sparks, whoever (this year). Players who are maybe used to up-tempo pace of D II. But I am very optimistic about the Tyler Rydolph commit. And the Belcourt kid.

By the way, if we're talking about locals, Mary only has 1.

Minot State works very hard and is very aggressive. Weisbeck had them in his final 3, and they were the second school to offer him.

A source tells me Kretchman was prepared to commit until the drive home took 4 hours. I do not know Tanner, but I have to imagine playing right in his own backyard has to have perks.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:49 pm

Hinsa wrote:I disagree with the thought that SD has less colleges than ND. Here's a list of 4-year SD schools:

Northern State
SDSU
USD
Sioux Falls
Augustana
Presentation
Mount Marty
Dakota State
Dakota Weslyan
Black Hills State
School of Mines

That's 11. There are more but I believe these are the ones that participate in intercollegiate athletics.

ND Has:

UND
NDSU
Mayville
Valley City
Jamestown
Trinity
Mary
Dickinson
Minot State
3 large jucos: Lake Region and NDSCS and Williston

That's 12 if you include those jucos. So with those numbers the point about more schools and the effect it might have on recruiting is moot.

I think the advantage that those South Dakota schools have comes mostly from them being NSIC schools longer, thus having a longer track record of success. They also have some good longevity with their coaching staff, where both UMary and MSU have fairly new coaches.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Mighty-Mouse » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:16 pm

My spin on this topic... As long as you get kids from far,far away... that really don't care for the local area... and have different rules then others, the programs are deemed to fail.

Just look at how many athletics have been in the newspaper for not being good representatives of MSU and are on full scholarships, yet get to continue to play for MSU. Until the standards are changed for everyone, there is gonna be the rif in the programs.

One for all and all for one... :shock:
"Here I am to save the day!"
Mighty-Mouse
NDPreps All-State

Postby Mandan » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:50 pm

Hinsa wrote:I completely whiffed on BSC, totally forgot them. Thanks for reminding me ndlionsfan. Still, I think these totals refute the idea that SD has a recruiting advantage because they have fewer schools. SD has a ton of jucos as well.

You are also missing Bottineau when counting North Dakota junior colleges. But can you name any South Dakota junior colleges with athletics? If South Dakota had junior colleges that had athletics,I would think that schools like Bismarck State would be playing them and I just can't remember any showing up. If there are any that play sports they are on the reservations.
Mandan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Hinsa » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:09 pm

Yup, another oversite on my part, although my intent was not to name every juco, just provide some examples. If you go to the following link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... uth_Dakota

You will see the entire list of colleges and jucos in SD. I don't know if any of the jucos have athletics.
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby BISONFAN18 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:48 pm

go maji wrote:
Sportsrube wrote:I think the biggest difference for Northern is the talent level of the locals that they have managed to recruit (and seem to recruit every year). They get some of the better players from SD and they play major minutes for them. Hopefully Minot can do the same, I would love to see the Beavers be competitive in the NSIC and I would love to see the FB program get competitive in the NSIC also.

When it come to college basketball, South dakota players go to SDST, USD, or NSU. But North Dakota players like to skip town (so to speak).
I agree. Better basketball at the A level. 3 classes just makes for better overall basketball. Wake up ND.
BISONFAN18
NDPreps Starter

Return to North Dakota's Universities and Colleges