2014 highschool/legion season

Re: 2014 highschool/legion season

Postby Ndbaseball999 » Wed May 07, 2014 4:11 pm

NdSportsFan55 wrote:
Ndbaseball999 wrote:
NdSportsFan55 wrote:For the Legion Season:
I think Fargo Post 2 will be the state champs once again. I've heard that some kids that were Seniors in 2013 are coming back once again for the summer, which will make them a very good team once again. I've heard that there will not be very many roster spots open for the Post 2 team. When it comes to the Central Plains Regional, which they get another automatic bid due to it being hosted at Jack Williams Stadium, they really need pitching to step up and need to cut down on the errors if they have any chance of winning that.
As for other Legion teams
Bismarck will be Fargo's toughest competitor, a ton of talent is coming out of Bismarck and they will play very good baseball during the 2014 summer. If Fargo does not win State it will be Bismarck.
Grand Forks will be good, if i remember Chaise Anderson and Mahoney are still able to come back due to their age. Should be a solid team.
Mandan is Mandan, shouldn't be hard to beat them this summer.
Williston not too sure about them, shouldn't be that bad but also should not be that good either.
Dickinson will be a good team, depending on who can come back to play another year, still they seem to prove to be a pesky team no matter who they put on the field.
Minot is an interesting team. They will be a good team this year. The Senior class i believe is a talented group of guys. They will possibly Contend with Fargo, Bismarck and Grand Forks for State.
West Fargo as a stated with their High School team have lost a lot of guys, depending if Cameran Bonnema, Ben Huber and Kory Wolden can come back they will not be as strong as recent years. Losing Andy Young from now on hurts for their offensive production.

Sounds like post 2 are having quite a few college players returning, could make a huge difference.

Post 2 is not having as many college kids returning than it was once thought. In fact I have heard that only 2 kids from last years team that are coming back. Those two kids are Gunnar Linstead (M-State Fergus Falls) and Seth Tollefson (Mayville State). Those others that were able to come back are going off to play Amatuer baseball.

A rumor that i have heard is that Casey Quinlan & Lincoln Voss are both also returning to the team.
Ndbaseball999
NDPreps Starter

Postby BisonEngineer » Thu May 08, 2014 7:57 am

In addition to Tollefson and Linstaedt (correct spelling of his name), multiple sources have informed me that Casey Quinlan and Lincoln Voss will also be returning to Post 2 this summer. There may be more. If just these four players with college experience return and join the 2014 HS grads, that will indeed make Post 2 a formidable challenge to any ND Legion team.
BisonEngineer
NDPreps Rookie

Postby LuvnBaseball » Sun May 11, 2014 8:01 am

A good source told me Mahoney will not play for GF Legion this summer. He wanted to play legion ball again, but he is not allowed since his family (and he) moved to Fargo area after his dad retired from the USAF and American Legion rules only allow him to play for GF since he graduated last year, which he will not do because of the distance. So, despite being only 18 and an age eligible kid who wants to play, it is not allowed. I heard he will likely play in an amateur or college summer league.
LuvnBaseball
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Hammerheads » Mon May 12, 2014 5:13 pm

LuvnBaseball wrote:A good source told me Mahoney will not play for GF Legion this summer. He wanted to play legion ball again, but he is not allowed since his family (and he) moved to Fargo area after his dad retired from the USAF and American Legion rules only allow him to play for GF since he graduated last year, which he will not do because of the distance. So, despite being only 18 and an age eligible kid who wants to play, it is not allowed. I heard he will likely play in an amateur or college summer league.

if your in college you should play amatuer or college league!! why go backwards and play legion. challenge yourself to a higher standard to get better!!!
Hammerheads
NDPreps Reserve

Postby LuvnBaseball » Mon May 12, 2014 9:54 pm

Good viewpoint hammerheads! Maybe all the returning college kids should get on a team to represent the area instead of playing Legion, but at the same time Legion Baseball is about representing the community you live in and less about you as a player. There is a reason the local news covers Legion ball and not amateur ball. But, I do agree a player would possibly challenge themselves more in amateur ball, and definitely in a summer college league---American Legion is just true Midwest Americana!
LuvnBaseball
NDPreps Reserve

Postby fly » Tue May 13, 2014 8:53 am

One problem returning college players have with amateur ball, at least in North Dakota, is that it is not very well organized/competitive and it is only about twice a week. Some of these players could and maybe should have played in a college league, but they are actually pretty hard to get into and fill up quick. Also, the college year/season is grueling and can take a toll on players and some may just want to come home for the summer and actually have fun with baseball. Baseball in college is like a job.
fly
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Hammerheads » Tue May 13, 2014 4:11 pm

i agree baseball is a job in college. but you are in college, your taking spots from other kids that also want to play at the next level, and legion is a good source for these young men to get exposure.and in ND you better get exposure when ever you get a chance.
Hammerheads
NDPreps Reserve

Postby luvndhoops » Thu May 15, 2014 10:55 pm

I 100% agree with you Hammerheads
luvndhoops
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Footballa10 » Fri May 16, 2014 6:50 pm

I heard rumor that Quinlan is actually not going to play legion this summer.
Footballa10
NDPreps Rookie

Postby NoDakular_Context » Wed May 21, 2014 3:36 pm

Fargo Post 2/Post 400 differences are centered largely around amount of games offered... Post 2 will play and travel significantly more than Post 400, and the two organizations are billing their programming around those differences. To my understanding, Post 400 is playing a much more abbreviated schedule, compared to all three Post 2 teams. Geographical location/talent are not the central issue, although the appearance is that Post 2 should still attract more of the 'serious' ballplayers who are looking for the greater playing opportunity conferred by an enhanced schedule. Sub-Varsity teams (Bombers and Jets) likely are not looking at deep cuts to fill rosters, so choice of Post 2/Post 400 seems to be driven on programmatic scheduling preferences. The suggestion that some players don't want to travel 'all the way' up to Jack Williams Stadium from south Fargo for practices/games seems pretty ridiculous, in the grand scheme of things.
NoDakular_Context
NDPreps Reserve

Postby fly » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:43 pm

Any thoughts or comments on the legion season thus far?
fly
NDPreps Reserve

Previous

Return to Class A