Top Pitchers

Top Pitchers

Postby ndbaseball101 » Wed May 07, 2014 9:58 pm

Who are the top pitchers for each team in the WDA and also the EDC? And who are the top 3 pitchers in each region overall?
ndbaseball101
NDPreps Rookie

Re: Top Pitchers

Postby NdSportsFan55 » Thu May 08, 2014 9:11 am

EDC Top Pitchers

Fargo South: Dallas Raftevold
Fargo North: Ian Schultz
Fargo Shanley: Jake Salentine
Fargo Davies: Colin Birch
West Fargo: Ben Strahm
Grand Forks RR: Colin Hennessey
Grand Forks Central: Zack Walz
Whapeton: Brock Lingen
Valley City: who knows
Devils Lake: again, who knows.

Top 3:
1. Ben Strahm- West Fargo
2. Ian Schultz
3. Colin Hennessey
NdSportsFan55
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndbaseball101 » Thu May 08, 2014 12:05 pm

What about the WDA?
ndbaseball101
NDPreps Rookie

Postby BisonEngineer » Thu May 08, 2014 1:43 pm

Good list on EDC pitchers. I realize that Strahm (vs Wahpeton), Hennessy (vs Shanley), and Schultz (vs GF Central) have thrown no-hitters thus far this spring to merit their lofty rankings, but ask any of the coaches involved and they will tell you that the best measure of championship-worthy teams is quality starting pitching depth that will enable a team to win games on three consecutive days as is required to win conference and state tournaments. Weather postponements and heavy game re-scheduling over the first 2-1/2 weeks of May will further test and refine a team's pitching strength.

Which teams have that depth? From my observations, it is no surprise that it is the top three teams in the EDC standings at present:

1. Fargo North: Ian Schultz (best pitcher I've witnessed this spring), Tyler Anderson, and Charlie Cardwell(?)
2. GF Red River: Ryan Richardson (superb all spring), Colin Hennessy, Brady Regimbal (big lefty), and Christian Bauduin
3. West Fargo: Ben Strahm, Chase Gooding (great curve ball), Devin Wagenman (can be wild), and Anjelo Shepherd

This discussion only addresses pitching, but of all the measurable factors, that is the single most crucial indicator of team success! I welcome your comments/additions, as no single individual can observe all teams/players--hence the reason for this forum...
BisonEngineer
NDPreps Rookie

Postby baseballlover35 » Sat May 10, 2014 4:49 pm

WDA Top Pitchers.

Dickinson: Luke Herauf
Bismarck: Nate Dinga
Minot: Demitry Zafra & Chandler Jacob
Century: Dalton Feeney
Williston: Alex Bates
Jamestown: Who knows
St. Marys: who knows

Top 3:
1. Demitry Zafra
2. Nate Dinga or Chandler Jacob
3. Dalton Feeney.

It was hard picking the top 3 for WDA each team has their ace for sure.
baseballlover35
NDPreps Reserve

Postby go maji » Sun May 11, 2014 12:16 am

baseballlover35 wrote:WDA Top Pitchers.

Top 3:
1. Demitry Zafra
3. Dalton Feeney.

Zafra is an odd pitcher to me. I haven't watched watched many games of his, if any, but most of his runs come via the walk. If Zafra allowed 5+ runs, you could bet there were quite a bit of walks in there.
And when he doesn't walk many, he usually has a pretty good game.
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseballlover35 » Sun May 11, 2014 2:58 am

Yeah thats true, I heard hes having a great season throwing 2 complete games and a 1 hitter againts dickinson. Not to mention he signed his letter of intent 2 weeks ago to Southwest Minnesota State Univ. So congrats to him!
baseballlover35
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndbaseball101 » Mon May 12, 2014 12:08 pm

Zafra can throw hard but accuracy always kills him. Just look at what happened at state last year.
ndbaseball101
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Hammerheads » Mon May 12, 2014 5:03 pm

pitchers have off days even in the pro's. you cant judge a player or a pitcher by one or two games. scouts look at players a ton of times. so when your best batter goes without a hit in a couple of games means he has issues and is not good!!!! rediculous.manning had a horrible superbowl so i guess he has issues???? look at the resume of this kid he has more experience then any other player in the state,has pitched in many big games and has come out on top. and i'm sure he's been off in some too, goes back to the top no ones always perfect. and lets not forget a pitcher is as good as his defense, it takes nine to play the game.former scout!!
Hammerheads
NDPreps Reserve

Postby hockeynut » Mon May 12, 2014 8:21 pm

Top 3:
1. Demitry Zafra
3. Dalton Feeney.

Brian Wenzel from Jamestown is pretty dang good. Mixes his pitches well as he isn't overpowering.
hockeynut
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby LuvnBaseball » Mon May 12, 2014 10:00 pm

I think part of the problem with this discussion is that too many parents and fans try to praise and lift up kids which only puts more and more pressure on the kid. Just let him pitch, let his record stand for itself, and let the young man enjoy the game like he should at this age. If he is good enough, he will have plenty of pressure at the next levels of the game. I just pray all the pitchers will have fun, grow from the experience, and gain lifetime friends this summer....this is the best sport in the world, don't ruin it by adults arguing over a kid's performance. Just my opinion after 40+ years of playing and coaching!
LuvnBaseball
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Hammerheads » Tue May 13, 2014 8:23 am

LuvnBaseball wrote:I think part of the problem with this discussion is that too many parents and fans try to praise and lift up kids which only puts more and more pressure on the kid. Just let him pitch, let his record stand for itself, and let the young man enjoy the game like he should at this age. If he is good enough, he will have plenty of pressure at the next levels of the game. I just pray all the pitchers will have fun, grow from the experience, and gain lifetime friends this summer....this is the best sport in the world, don't ruin it by adults arguing over a kid's performance. Just my opinion after 40+ years of playing and coaching!

Great words agreed!!! That's words of wisdom!!
Hammerheads
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndbaseball101 » Tue May 13, 2014 9:40 am

I also can't believe parker harm from Mandan isn't in the discussion.
ndbaseball101
NDPreps Rookie

Postby NdSportsFan55 » Tue May 13, 2014 10:00 am

The most underrated pitcher in the EDC has to be Colin Birch from Fargo Davies. The kid quietly has only given up 5 total runs in his 6 starts combined. To put that into perspective only 5 runs given up in about 32 innings pitched. He doesn't overpower you but he throws strikes and gets you out. Very underrated to this point.
NdSportsFan55
NDPreps Reserve

Postby NorthShore » Tue May 13, 2014 1:19 pm

hockeynut wrote:

Top 3:
1. Demitry Zafra
3. Dalton Feeney.

Brian Wenzel from Jamestown is pretty dang good. Mixes his pitches well as he isn't overpowering.

Agree! On any given day Wenzel from Jamestown, Harm from Mandan, Feeney from Century, Dinga from Bismarck, Herauf and Erickson from Dickinson, and Jacob and Zafra from Minot can shut down any team in the West. Should be some good games in the WDA tournament. Like last years state tournament though, I'm not sure any of these pitchers are as good as a couple from the East. Could be interesting!
NorthShore
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baseballlover35 » Tue May 13, 2014 1:45 pm

Yeah totally forgot about Parker Harm! Great pitcher! Personally I think the West region has the better pitchers for sure!
baseballlover35
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Hammerheads » Tue May 13, 2014 3:52 pm

there will be great games in the WDA and the EDC !!! and states. but its not all about the pitching its about whose playing there best ball at that time.hitting and most important fielding, errors will destroy a team!! if your peaking during tournament and state don't matter who you are you will contend, look at shanley last year? cant wait excited to see some good baseball!!
Hammerheads
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baseballlover35 » Tue May 13, 2014 10:01 pm

Anybody heard of any college commitments?
baseballlover35
NDPreps Reserve

Postby NdSportsFan55 » Wed May 14, 2014 9:51 am

Only College Commits I have heard of so far
Demitry Zafra- Minot- SW Minnesota State
Devin Wageman- WF- Buena Vista University
Noah Paper- WF- Buena Vista University
Jake Salentine- Shanley- Buena Vista University
Andrew Penney- Fargo South- Northern Iowa Community College
NdSportsFan55
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Shaw1 » Wed May 14, 2014 12:52 pm

WDA tournament will be interesting indeed.
I see Dickinson, Minot, Bismarck making it to State. The final team could be Mandan, Century or Williston.
Based on what I've seen lately, Mandan has the momentum. They look like a good hitting team and are peaking just right. Williston is a long shot. Century, they have the talent, but never seem to get it on the field at tournament time. Not playing well now at all. So Mandan is my 4th pick.
Shaw1
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Hammerheads » Wed May 14, 2014 3:31 pm

going to be interesting WDA tourney!!! i think Dickinson,Mandan,Bismark, and Century. sorry Minot you have great pitching but no hitting and your defense is hit or miss!!! hope i'm wrong!!!!
Hammerheads
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Footballa10 » Thu May 15, 2014 11:38 am

NdSportsFan55 wrote:Only College Commits I have heard of so far

Jake Salentine committed to Iowa Lakes Community College not Buena Vista
Footballa10
NDPreps Rookie

Postby NdSportsFan55 » Thu May 15, 2014 2:25 pm

Footballa10 wrote:
NdSportsFan55 wrote:Only College Commits I have heard of so far

Jake Salentine committed to Iowa Lakes Community College not Buena Vista

Ok thanks for clearing that up. I only heard he was going to a lakes college so i just assumed it was Storm Lake where Buena Vista is located.
Thanks
NdSportsFan55
NDPreps Reserve

Postby gvmearees » Tue May 20, 2014 11:31 am

Hammerheads wrote:going to be interesting WDA tourney!!! i think Dickinson,Mandan,Bismark, and Century. sorry Minot you have great pitching but no hitting and your defense is hit or miss!!! hope i'm wrong!!!!

Minot has one solid pitcher in Jacob(very consistant). Zafra has been good but ok most of the time, if he can work on his control and his mound emotions he could be great. Baseball is a game of emotion, good pitching leads to good hitting and defense and vise versa. Zafra has been very good when his team scores and his team has been not so good when he pitches poorly. It's a game of mistakes. Pitchers make them, batters make them, fielders make them. Hammerheads/baseballerover35 (same guy/dad?)=no need to point fingers, stuff happens, excuses are for losers. These young men are 16-18 years old, let them enjoy there time on the field and stop the subtle jabs. Obviously, your son is a good player as he will be playing D2 baseball for the next few years. Best wishes to him
gvmearees
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baseballlover35 » Tue May 20, 2014 6:32 pm

Everybody is titled to an opinion. Here's my opinion, I dont think a dad or kid would take the time out of his day to gather good complements on his son or himself when his son is already good. A mature parent or kid wouldnt do that hes a 17 or 18 year old guy. By the way, Zafra has pitched more then 30 innings and throwing 5 innings or more every start except his last game and he has 3 complete games and almost a no-hitter against Dickinson, Sounds consistent to me. But thats my opinion.
baseballlover35
NDPreps Reserve

Next

Return to Class A