NAIA National Tournament

No smack talk is allowed here.

NAIA National Tournament

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:06 am

Don't follow too much, but my alma mater Mayville St has had a heck of a season on the girls side. They were conference champions and won the conference tournament, qualifying for nationals along with Jamestown. Mayville beat Jamestown two out of three times this year, yet Jamestown is still ranked #3 in the nation while Mayville has yet to crack the top ten. Plus Jamestown got one of the #1 seeds in the national tournament while Mayville is stuck at a #3 seed. Both teams have 3 losses on the season. Just don't understand it. Can anyone give any insight?
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Re: NAIA National Tournament

Postby Hinsa » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:21 am

Name recognition of Jamestown? They've been there before?

Do they have any huge wins over better known programs?

Good luck Comets!
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:47 am

Both teams made the national tournament last year. MSU has won 20 of their last 21 after two close losses at the beginning of the season. Both teams have beat ranked NAIA ranked teams. Both teams lost most of their exhibition games against teams in higher divisions. MSU lost to UND 71-62 about two weeks after UND crushed Jamestown 93-56 (doesn't really matter since its just exhibition but its a comparison).
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:25 pm

NAIA has always been about the money, it boils down to politics! Go Comets!!
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:57 am

Took my team to watch Mayville a week or two ago and they're fun to watch. Run and gun and jack threes.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby jimmie44 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:07 pm

I'd guess the main reason Jamestown was ranked higher than Mayville, even with the losses would have to do with their schedules.

Strength of Schedule: Jamestown played and beat more nationally ranked teams than Mayville.
Jamestown played: Northwestern (lost) Concordia of Nebraska (won) Dordt (won) Morningside (won) Briar Cliff (won) Doane (won) St. Ambrose (won) Midland (won).

Mayville played: St. Ambrose (won)

But go ahead and complain that it is about money and politics. Genius.
jimmie44
NDPreps Reserve

Postby The Schwab » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:07 pm

So when Mayville beat Jamestown the last time and neither team moved up or down that made sense to you? I'm not saying that Jamestown didn't deserve to be a good seed (obviously they did), but I feel that Mayville should have been a higher seed (if Mayville would have been a 2 and Jamestown a 1 I wouldn't have had as big of a problem with it.) If you look at the how the NAIA football playoffs are set up you would agree that NAIA is a money driven league. Also why do you think some of the most dominant NAIA programs are private schools? The NAIA is a self reporting league which means they don't have a compliance officer to answer too, so the only people that can turn you in for scholarship violations, grades etc... is your own institution (I know it was this way 5 years ago and I'm assuming it still is). Again I have nothing against Jamestown, in fact I cheer for any team from North Dakota team when they are playing out of state competition.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby six2one » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:10 am

Mayville was fun to watch. I have a daughter playing for them made most of the games including nationals They made a lot of history in the comets womens bb. I am proud of what she has done so far there. She didn't play in the state tourney got beat out in regionals but if u work hard and put your mind to it you can go far. This dad id very proud of Mayville womens bb team and hope to continue
six2one
NDPreps Reserve

Return to North Dakota's Universities and Colleges