Random questions/posts thread

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Random questions/posts thread

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:28 pm

Region 4 is for volleyball only. Will have to see what the final realignment will end up being. I was told if there were less than 14 teams they would go to super region format for bball, too
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:29 pm

EHS1998 wrote:
I wish 3 was but no joy.

I agree. I saw one VB region that had 11 teams. I wonder if they'll have district tournaments.

Are there full box scores of the state tournament floating around the NDSHAA page?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:11 pm

Flip wrote:
EHS1998 wrote:
I wish 3 was but no joy.

I agree. I saw one VB region that had 11 teams. I wonder if they'll have district tournaments.

Are there full box scores of the state tournament floating around the NDSHAA page?

That is Region 4...they are doing a regional format for VB this year.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flip » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:37 pm

Flip wrote:What regions are moving to super regions next season? I know 2 is.

anyone switching next season?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:36 pm

@NDScores
CLASS B BBB: #3 Bishop Ryan DEF. South Prairie 67-10 #NDPreps

last time a boys team scored 10 or less?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:01 am

and why would these 2 teams play?
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:24 am

winner-within wrote:and why would these 2 teams play?

Same district, Minot could of sent their B team and beat them by 50 too.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby winner-within » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:30 am

packers21 wrote:

I see, I was thinking South Border :D
theres nothing South about Minot haha
but with that many Schools you have to come up with a name........
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:41 am

packers21 wrote:

Some districts /regions don’t allow the JV’s to play as a counter game even if it is logically the better option.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby T reporter » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:45 pm

winner-within wrote:
packers21 wrote:

There has been an elementary school 10-12 south of Minot on US 83 for 15-20 years, maybe longer.
They just added a high school the last couple of years.
Same way with Nedrose on the east edge of Minot
T reporter
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:17 pm

T reporter wrote:
winner-within wrote:
packers21 wrote:

There has been an elementary school 10-12 south of Minot on US 83 for 15-20 years, maybe longer.

Thats awesome!....great part of the State of ND!!
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Edger » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:02 pm

Bottineau vrs Rugby.

I heard that Rugby beat Bottineau last night, and I know the scores are reflected in the Schedule thread and Rugby is scrappy, but on the news last night, they said Bottineau won that game? Who's wrong?
Edger
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:10 pm

3 sources stated Rugby won (2 sources attended the game)
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Edger » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:23 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:3 sources stated Rugby won (2 sources attended the game)

Thanks. Wow, I was surprised at the point spread, wish I could have watched how that went down.
Edger
NDPreps Starter

Postby spins » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:44 pm

packers21 wrote:

wrong--the Ryan JV team would probably lose.
SP is better than 10 points. Just one of those nights.
spins
NDPreps Starter

Postby justplayalready » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:56 pm

winner-within wrote:
T reporter wrote:
winner-within wrote:
packers21 wrote:

On that topic, I would guess Nedrose is a year or two away from making the Region Tourney...who knows from there??
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby spins » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:24 pm

justplayalready wrote:
winner-within wrote:
T reporter wrote:
winner-within wrote:
packers21 wrote:

On that topic, I would guess Nedrose is a year or two away from making the Region Tourney...who knows from there??

I was in their gym last week.Beautiful school. IMO they will be the next powerhouse in region 6 in 5-10 years as the kids from that area that might go to ORCS or BHS will go to Nedrose. Enrollment is pretty high i think.
Why pay (some anyways) to play basketball when you can play for free right?
spins
NDPreps Starter

Postby justplayalready » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:04 pm

Will the NDHSAA even care if a Minot Public school wins their B???

To me the issue is Minot and not building a second Minot High School...I'm sure the feeling is whatever Nedrose and SP dilutes our enrollment(athletic talent) won't be as drastic to what Davies did to South and Legacy is doing to the Bismarck Schools...

IS the future going to be the wrestlers and Football players going to Ryan, Volleyballers go to ORCS, Boys BBall to Nedrose, etc etc????
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby spins » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:37 am

Not sure if Nedrose open enrolls, but its like any B school. if you live in a certain area, you go to that school.
Its a small SE corner of Minot. If you're a private, you can get kids from anywhere.
spins
NDPreps Starter

Postby tscheig » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:09 pm

When you see the migration of rural people to the more populated areas you have an issue with where to send your kids. Just in the Minot area, you have open enroll schools(districts) in DLB, Nedrose, and South Prairie. Those I know. I won't claim I know in the Glenburn, Surrey, Max or Velva. Now that we've covered all schools surrounding Minot. Kids have choices on where to go to school be it for academics or extracurricular activities. Its not an issue of what the NDSAA feels as being right on who wins what classification of sport. The Minot voters and the Minot school district chose not to build another HS. They were bailed out with SP and Nedrose choosing to build HS. With so many public schools needing renovation do to the fact that their current buildings were built in the 1960's and need repair. Why aren't we looking at redrawing the district lines? South Prairie brand new, but Max 11 miles to the south asks for over 5 million for new class rooms and a new heating system. Plaza, multimillion overhaul as they close down the school in Makoti. Berthold has a new multipurpose gym for PE and lunch room, 8 miles away DLB is building a 10-15 million dollar addition on to the school. Glenburn just built a new gym and Sawyer just closed and sends its kids to not Velva, Surrey, Nedrose or South Prairie but to Max. Is it time that towns come together and build schools to house mutiple districts?

Minot for example is surrounded by school districts and bedroom communities. When i look at Bismarck/Mandan. Mandan blocks Bis to the west but what other populated areas do they have to the north Wilton is 20 miles away to the east Menoken is 20 miles away. South is Lincoln but i believe belongs to Bis. Do Bismarck/Mandan school districts span that far into the rural areas?

Does the eastern part of the state do this right? with Central Cass, Northern Cass, Maple Valley, HCV? Should the western and northern areas be looking at this as well?

I was recently in Newburg, the home Of Bob Hunskor. I forgot how small that gym was. would loved to have been in there in the 80's and felt that environment. Its sad to see the dying of the small town. i graduated in 91. in my area i remember Tolley, Donnybrook, Carpio, Lansford, Sherwood, Upham, Granville, Willow City all having basketball teams. how many of those guys that played on those teams in the 80's now live in an "A" class town.
tscheig
NDPreps Rookie

Postby winner-within » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:02 pm

tscheig wrote:When you see the migration of rural people to the more populated areas you have an issue with where to send your kids. Just in the Minot area, you have open enroll schools(districts) in DLB, Nedrose, and South Prairie. Those I know. I won't claim I know in the Glenburn, Surrey, Max or Velva. Now that we've covered all schools surrounding Minot. Kids have choices on where to go to school be it for academics or extracurricular activities. Its not an issue of what the NDSAA feels as being right on who wins what classification of sport. The Minot voters and the Minot school district chose not to build another HS. They were bailed out with SP and Nedrose choosing to build HS. With so many public schools needing renovation do to the fact that their current buildings were built in the 1960's and need repair. Why aren't we looking at redrawing the district lines? South Prairie brand new, but Max 11 miles to the south asks for over 5 million for new class rooms and a new heating system. Plaza, multimillion overhaul as they close down the school in Makoti. Berthold has a new multipurpose gym for PE and lunch room, 8 miles away DLB is building a 10-15 million dollar addition on to the school. Glenburn just built a new gym and Sawyer just closed and sends its kids to not Velva, Surrey, Nedrose or South Prairie but to Max. Is it time that towns come together and build schools to house mutiple districts?

Minot for example is surrounded by school districts and bedroom communities. When i look at Bismarck/Mandan. Mandan blocks Bis to the west but what other populated areas do they have to the north Wilton is 20 miles away to the east Menoken is 20 miles away. South is Lincoln but i believe belongs to Bis. Do Bismarck/Mandan school districts span that far into the rural areas?

Does the eastern part of the state do this right? with Central Cass, Northern Cass, Maple Valley, HCV? Should the western and northern areas be looking at this as well?

I was recently in Newburg, the home Of Bob Hunskor. I forgot how small that gym was. would loved to have been in there in the 80's and felt that environment. Its sad to see the dying of the small town. i graduated in 91. in my area i remember Tolley, Donnybrook, Carpio, Lansford, Sherwood, Upham, Granville, Willow City all having basketball teams. how many of those guys that played on those teams in the 80's now live in an "A" class town.

I've been saying this for about 7 years now, don't sports co-op! consolidate schools now you are committed to the future of those kids in that area
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:44 pm

winner-within wrote:
tscheig wrote:When you see the migration of rural people to the more populated areas you have an issue with where to send your kids. Just in the Minot area, you have open enroll schools(districts) in DLB, Nedrose, and South Prairie. Those I know. I won't claim I know in the Glenburn, Surrey, Max or Velva. Now that we've covered all schools surrounding Minot. Kids have choices on where to go to school be it for academics or extracurricular activities. Its not an issue of what the NDSAA feels as being right on who wins what classification of sport. The Minot voters and the Minot school district chose not to build another HS. They were bailed out with SP and Nedrose choosing to build HS. With so many public schools needing renovation do to the fact that their current buildings were built in the 1960's and need repair. Why aren't we looking at redrawing the district lines? South Prairie brand new, but Max 11 miles to the south asks for over 5 million for new class rooms and a new heating system. Plaza, multimillion overhaul as they close down the school in Makoti. Berthold has a new multipurpose gym for PE and lunch room, 8 miles away DLB is building a 10-15 million dollar addition on to the school. Glenburn just built a new gym and Sawyer just closed and sends its kids to not Velva, Surrey, Nedrose or South Prairie but to Max. Is it time that towns come together and build schools to house mutiple districts?

I've been saying this for about 7 years now, don't sports co-op! consolidate schools now you are committed to the future of those kids in that area

Come out to Southwestern North Dakota and tell parents that they should consolidate schools and their kids should drive 70 miles one way. Your idea may work on the eastern side of the state where there are towns every ten miles. We need to keep small towns alive in North Dakota, once a town's school shuts down the town will die off. I know how you feel about consolidation, but have you ever been through the process? If not, have you ever talked to people involved in the process? It can be a very heated topic and rightfully so. Those feelings never go away and cause bad blood between the communities of those schools that remain open and those that close.

"If you're committed to the future of those kids in that area". So we should all have schools that have 50+ kids in a class? Have you ever done any form of research on the highest performing schools in the state? They are more often than not, the smaller schools. Do you want your kids to just be a number? Or do you want teachers that can get to know your kids on an individual basis? Larger class sizes are not the answer. If you care about kids, keep small schools open.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:35 pm

The Schwab wrote:
winner-within wrote:

Come out to Southwestern North Dakota and tell parents that they should consolidate schools and their kids should drive 70 miles one way. Your idea may work on the eastern side of the state where there are towns every ten miles. We need to keep small towns alive in North Dakota, once a town's school shuts down the town will die off. I know how you feel about consolidation, but have you ever been through the process? If not, have you ever talked to people involved in the process? It can be a very heated topic and rightfully so. Those feelings never go away and cause bad blood between the communities of those schools that remain open and those that close.

"If you're committed to the future of those kids in that area". So we should all have schools that have 50+ kids in a class? Have you ever done any form of research on the highest performing schools in the state? They are more often than not, the smaller schools. Do you want your kids to just be a number? Or do you want teachers that can get to know your kids on an individual basis? Larger class sizes are not the answer. If you care about kids, keep small schools open.

I actually have been thru the process.....and now both of those schools are not only closed but have been demolished...and those 2 towns (that have few kids nowadays) are all going to one school 30 miles away....don't kid yourself the eastern part of the State is not much different than the west....maybe 20 miles off of the Red River then north and south you have some towns 10 miles apart but even many of those towns are dwindling fast, unless you are Grand forks and south, where towns benefit from the metro's

I think 50 is a great number and I think new schools are needed instead of old run down establishments that still stand because the property tax situation is still hanging in there and the funds are there....

you can't take away the inevitable by healing something along till boom, it breaks! and then nothing was thought out or talked about and your kids are going someplace you didn't even want them to go... or lets say, had it been reformed when the inevitable was foreseeable? well then you can make a plan.

even when thinking about a Watford City situation.....if 2 schools were built out there 30-40 miles apart of one another well than they wouldn't have the Class A situation they are facing......
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby theman » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:35 pm

winner-within wrote:
The Schwab wrote:
winner-within wrote:

I actually have been thru the process.....and now both of those schools are not only closed but have been demolished...and those 2 towns (that have few kids nowadays) are all going to one school 30 miles away....don't kid yourself the eastern part of the State is not much different than the west....maybe 20 miles off of the Red River then north and south you have some towns 10 miles apart but even many of those towns are dwindling fast, unless you are Grand forks and south, where towns benefit from the metro's

I think 50 is a great number and I think new schools are needed instead of old run down establishments that still stand because the property tax situation is still hanging in there and the funds are there....

you can't take away the inevitable by healing something along till boom, it breaks! and then nothing was thought out or talked about and your kids are going someplace you didn't even want them to go... or lets say, had it been reformed when the inevitable was foreseeable? well then you can make a plan.

even when thinking about a Watford City situation.....if 2 schools were built out there 30-40 miles apart of one another well than they wouldn't have the Class A situation they are facing......

You don't actually believe those words that you typed, do you? There's a huge difference between east and west in this state, and distance between towns of any size is one of them.
[url]northdakotarunner.blogspot.com[/url]
theman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:10 pm

do a little research on Langdon area High School and how far kids are driving......the School is 60 miles from the ND/Minnesota Border and 270 from the ND/Montana Border....so I consider Langdon Eastern ND
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Boys