Get rid of districts

The Buzz on Class B.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Get rid of districts

Postby GrizzlyBear24 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:50 pm

I don't think I'm the only one that views districts to be very pointless. It's supposed to be playoff basketball and when poor teams are in it, well it just bothers me. Top 4 teams should just go to regionals.

Thoughts?
Football and Basketball Analyst. Know the game inside and out.
GrizzlyBear24
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Get rid of districts

Postby NodakQ2 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:22 pm

Agree 100%...a waist of time...
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:37 pm

don't worry the new re-alignment will push all regions to do the super regional here in the near future (probably 5 years from now).
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby momofathletes » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:44 pm

GrizzlyBear24 wrote:I don't think I'm the only one that views districts to be very pointless. It's supposed to be playoff basketball and when poor teams are in it, well it just bothers me. Top 4 teams should just go to regionals.

Thoughts?

I disagree. It really depends upon the district and the year.Sometimes they have to duke it out during the districts to decide who the top 4 teams really are. The teams that had the best records during the season are not necessarily the best teams or the ones that should advance to regionals.It really boils down to who is peaking at the right time. Some districts are very well balanced and it only matters who is playing the best ball at tournament time. It could be that a team was without their best player(s) during the early part of season due to injury etc and therefore were not playing up to par and the record shows it. That player could be ready to go mid to late season and change the whole team make up. Some teams just take longer to gel and coach may have them tuned up and ready to go for post season play. District 3 this year is a prime example. Seeds 5 and 3 are playing for the championship. Any one of the top 5 seeds in that district had a legit chance of winning it, they are that balanced. One of the top 4 seeds will not make it to Regionals. During the regular season the 5th seed lost to top seed by 3 pts, the 2nd seed by a combined total of 4 pts in 2 seperate games, beat the 3rd seed twice , and lost to the 4th seed by 1 pt. But during the district tourney they beat both the teams that they lost to during the regular season by a much larger point spread than they lost to them the first meeting. The games in this district have been competitive, entertaining contests between pretty evenly matched teams. I agree there are sometimes going to be some blow outs when #1 and #8 play, but I have also seen upsets. That is why they play the game. But for all practical purposes as more regions go to the super region format it will be the reality anyway.
There's No Crying in Basketball
momofathletes
NDPreps Starter

Postby joeyrey » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:39 am

momofathletes wrote:
GrizzlyBear24 wrote:I don't think I'm the only one that views districts to be very pointless. It's supposed to be playoff basketball and when poor teams are in it, well it just bothers me. Top 4 teams should just go to regionals.

Thoughts?

I disagree. It really depends upon the district and the year.Sometimes they have to duke it out during the districts to decide who the top 4 teams really are. The teams that had the best records during the season are not necessarily the best teams or the ones that should advance to regionals.It really boils down to who is peaking at the right time. Some districts are very well balanced and it only matters who is playing the best ball at tournament time. It could be that a team was without their best player(s) during the early part of season due to injury etc and therefore were not playing up to par and the record shows it. That player could be ready to go mid to late season and change the whole team make up. Some teams just take longer to gel and coach may have them tuned up and ready to go for post season play. District 3 this year is a prime example. Seeds 5 and 3 are playing for the championship. Any one of the top 5 seeds in that district had a legit chance of winning it, they are that balanced. One of the top 4 seeds will not make it to Regionals. During the regular season the 5th seed lost to top seed by 3 pts, the 2nd seed by a combined total of 4 pts in 2 seperate games, beat the 3rd seed twice , and lost to the 4th seed by 1 pt. But during the district tourney they beat both the teams that they lost to during the regular season by a much larger point spread than they lost to them the first meeting. The games in this district have been competitive, entertaining contests between pretty evenly matched teams. I agree there are sometimes going to be some blow outs when #1 and #8 play, but I have also seen upsets. That is why they play the game. But for all practical purposes as more regions go to the super region format it will be the reality anyway.

Very well said and I agree it really depends on the district and year. But I also agree that when you see poor teams, well, it is for the most part a waste of time.
joeyrey
NDPreps Rookie

Return to Basketball - Class B