Which is Better?? A or B Basketball

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Which is Better?? A or B Basketball

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:41 pm

Read Below: Written by Dan Gunderson - KFGO

"On Tuesday night, I called a North Dakota high school Class A boys basketball game between West Fargo and Wahpeton. It was good game, going to overtime, with the Packers beating the Huskies 59-57.

After the game, as I was putting away my radio equipment, one guy started a conversation with me. Said he had been to enough Class B games in North Dakota to see that Class B basketball is garbage. Talent wise, it just doesn’t compare to Class A.

Okay, granted, the talent at Class A is better and has been for years. It is tough to argue with that point, but to call Class B basketball in the state of North Dakota garbage? I’m sorry but that man is dead wrong. Class B is far more entertaining and I will explain why.

In Class A, making the state tournament is so easy that it is hard for me to see it as a big accomplishment. They have 10 teams in the east and 9 teams in the west in Class A. All you have to do to make it to state in Class A is win two conference tournament games. That is it!

In Class B, you have to finish in the top four in your District tournament and follow that up with winning three straight in your Region tournament. You are looking at having to win six games, just to make it to state!

The other part about Class B that is far more entertaining is the potential for a Cinderella is greater. Last year, the top four teams from the EDC and three of the top four teams from the WDC made the state tournament.

In Class B, the state winning team, Milnor High School, wasn’t even in the state polls when they entered the tournament. How can you tell me that something like that is not entertaining?

I will admit that I am partial to Class B since I grew up watching and playing Class B in high school. That doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate the talent that is displayed at the Class A level. It was obvious last night that the talent on the court would beat a middle of the road Class B school by 20 or 30 points.

Don’t come at me with the “Class B is garbage” talk because that just doesn’t fly. It annoys me when some people can be so blind as to just toss aside small town teams because they don’t have the “talent” that a Shanley or Fargo Davies does. So what?

I’m writing this to stand up for the hundreds of Class B schools out there that have to deal with people’s mindset on how their games just are not that entertaining. Don’t worry about the minority. There are more people in my corner that would say, Class B is the brand of basketball to watch in the state of North Dakota."

You can follow Daniel "Pinto" Gunderson on Twitter at @pintoKFGO

Let the debate begin, keep it clean.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Re: Which is Better?? A or B Basketball

Postby go maji » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:59 pm

I would agree that Class "B" is not garbage. There is plenty of talent at that level. But the biggest differences between the two are depth and size. For example: Willison is near last in class "A", but they are probably bigger than any class "B" team.
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby momofathletes » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:01 pm

I agree with you. I think the whole reason for the popularity of Class B is because it means something to the community. It is a great feat for a class B team to make it to state and their fan support shows it. As a kid it was a dream come true to get to travel to Bismarck or Minot to watch (or play) in the State B. Class A may have better OVERALL talent, but who cares to watch the same teams hash it out year after year at state. It isn't much of an honor to make it there with so few teams in the mix. I hate to use the word boring but if the shoe fits...... I have yet to figure out why news stations rarely have coverage or even mention Class B sports unless it is one of the local parochial schools. I can only speak for the Eastern part of the state,but listen to the sportscast on any given night and they ony report on Class A or else local college teams. Class B is lucky if they even get their score scrolled across the bottom of the screen. Same is true for the Fargo Forum. Articles daily about class A and college but few and far between for Class B.
There's No Crying in Basketball
momofathletes
NDPreps Starter

Postby go maji » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:24 pm

momofathletes wrote:I agree with you. I think the whole reason for the popularity of Class B is because it means something to the community. It is a great feat for a class B team to make it to state and their fan support shows it. As a kid it was a dream come true to get to travel to Bismarck or Minot to watch (or play) in the State B. Class A may have better OVERALL talent, but who cares to watch the same teams hash it out year after year at state. It isn't much of an honor to make it there with so few teams in the mix. I hate to use the word boring but if the shoe fits...... I have yet to figure out why news stations rarely have coverage or even mention Class B sports unless it is one of the local parochial schools. I can only speak for the Eastern part of the state,but listen to the sportscast on any given night and they ony report on Class A or else local college teams. Class B is lucky if they even get their score scrolled across the bottom of the screen. Same is true for the Fargo Forum. Articles daily about class A and college but few and far between for Class B.

I'm surprised they do that out there. Here around Minot they try to get as many area games as possible on the news.
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby leroybla » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:48 pm

Likewise, it should be noted that class B private schools located in major ND cities are disproportionately represented in polls and state tournaments, for that matter. A larger, less finite pool of athletes is the difference.
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Indy5 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:27 pm

I'm a class B guy, but I want to make a point here

Class B is rumored to be this great environment all the time. There are some places that are a great environment, but I've been to a lot of empty class B gyms that certainly don't fit this mold. Especially when the team isn't a top team in the state, the support isn't ALWAYS there like its rumored to be. A issue I see is just the amount of kids. Say the girls basketball team or wrestling team has something going on the same day as a boys home game. Not many kids left for a "great environment." In turn, class A schools have enough kids to always have a pretty good student section. Also, the bigger school seems to allow more creativity from these students without administrators getting on their backs.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:59 am

Indy5 wrote:I'm a class B guy, but I want to make a point here

Class B is rumored to be this great environment all the time. There are some places that are a great environment, but I've been to a lot of empty class B gyms that certainly don't fit this mold. Especially when the team isn't a top team in the state, the support isn't ALWAYS there like its rumored to be. A issue I see is just the amount of kids. Say the girls basketball team or wrestling team has something going on the same day as a boys home game. Not many kids left for a "great environment." In turn, class A schools have enough kids to always have a pretty good student section. Also, the bigger school seems to allow more creativity from these students without administrators getting on their backs.

I have honestly never heard this. Have heard many brag up the Class B tournament. But never that class b is "always" the greatest environment and "always" has great supporters following their teams.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby fandb » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:11 pm

IMO a better discussion may be with the girls side. Especially last year, this year, and by the looks of Minot Bishop Ryans roster, at least one more year.
fandb
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:34 pm

I think Dan G. has done a great job on building a name for himself in the sports world....I like how he goes about his way and doesn't forget about Rural ND which he shouldn't.....You could spend all day in West Fargo shaking hands with people and ask them were they are originally from and only 2 or 3 will say West Fargo...the majority of the rest were once Class B....so Class A is Class B....James Johannason Sr grew up in a town of 40 people...his son (JJ jr.) was #1 football player in the State....its about numbers first, programs, coaches, coordinators, trainers, facility's second and the rest is just that.......there is no "which is better" its the same Athlete, just more of them to choose from....whats funny is how some of the city slickers have forgotten where they grew up....Man it would be hard for me to cheer for West Fargo or Mandan if I was once from Munich or Belfield etc etc.....I like the Warmth I feel in Class B...
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Return to Hot Topics