Change to Television Coverage Next Year?

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Change to Television Coverage Next Year?

Postby BBSportsFan » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:40 pm

FARGO - The North Dakota High School Activities Association will enter into negotiations with Forum Communications for the rights to televise North Dakota high school athletics, a move that had its contested moments Friday at the NDHSAA Board of Directors meeting.

Forum Communications, which owns WDAY-TV, WDAY radio and The Forum of Fargo-Moorhead newspaper, got the nod over a bid submitted by the North Dakota NBC Network. A three-person NDHSAA media committee recommended Forum Communications as the winner earlier in the day to the five-year contract.

Forum Communication’s bid of $680,000 was about $6,000 per year higher than the NBC Network.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id ... /homepage/
BBSportsFan
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Change to Television Coverage Next Year?

Postby Flip » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:23 am

Bill Marcil Jr., the chief operating officer of Forum Communications and publisher of The Forum newspaper, pointed to the future, such as the NDHSAA’s music competition, which he said “is a TV show waiting to happen.” Both stations said state tournaments next year would be televised in high definition.

Welcome to 2008!
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby 1112cc » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:45 pm

They should have one station televise the girls class A and the other station televise the boys class A. Most of ND missed the best game of the tourney (sm vs shanley) because they only want to give equal time for boys and girls, which is crap. The kids earned the right .They should at least televise the boys 1st day, most people would want to watch that.
1112cc
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Indy5 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:21 pm

So they'll still be on NBC though?
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:42 pm

Indy5 wrote:So they'll still be on NBC though?

no, it looks like it will be on ABC

Bison football should be in HD too now.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:34 am

I'm looking forward to the change, especially to be able to watch the tourney in HD. It's pretty bad when the "Classic Focus" pieces from 20+ years ago are of the same quality of what we are currently watching. Also thought the commentators were terrible. I can't even remember how many bad mistakes (pronouncing names/towns incorrectly, not knowing facts about co-ops, communities, and schools, and incorrect rule interpretation, etc.) I counted this past weekend. You'd think they would do some studying in the week leading up to the tourney, but it seemed like they just showed up and winged it. Watched the championship night in a bar and couldn't hear a thing and it was better to watch.

I do happen to enjoy John Cole and his enthusiasm for class B basketball, though. That will be missed.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hinsa » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:30 pm

I have a suggestion for the incoming tournament broadcasters: get a former coach or player who is well spoken to do the color commentary on the broadcasts. We might actually get some real insights into what is happening on the court - the strategy, the techniques being employed, real and truthful talk about calls made on the court and the rules of the game. They have a chance to take a huge step forward in the coverage. Don't blow it.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:07 pm

Hinsa wrote:I have a suggestion for the incoming tournament broadcasters: get a former coach or player who is well spoken to do the color commentary on the broadcasts. We might actually get some real insights into what is happening on the court - the strategy, the techniques being employed, real and truthful talk about calls made on the court and the rules of the game. They have a chance to take a huge step forward in the coverage. Don't blow it.

Are you looking for a gig?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby cubsfan » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:54 am

I am actually a big supporter of this move. I think the production value that NBC has done has been very poor for many years. Besides LT, I think the people they had on there were very poor.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:43 am

It'll be interesting to see if there is any difference between ABC & NBC-runned tourneys
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby thundarsdaddy » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:16 am

Flip wrote:
Indy5 wrote:So they'll still be on NBC though?

no, it looks like it will be on ABC

Bison football should be in HD too now.

Totally agree about Bison football!!!

As far as the HD, that HAS to happen, glad it will happen for next year for the H.S. Sports. Nothing more silly, then seeing the NBC telecast of the games in Analog(poor quality), but then all of a sudden you see a locally produced commercial shot in HD???

Made it look like a junior high production!
thundarsdaddy
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Hinsa » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:46 pm

Flip wrote:
Hinsa wrote:I have a suggestion for the incoming tournament broadcasters: get a former coach or player who is well spoken to do the color commentary on the broadcasts. We might actually get some real insights into what is happening on the court - the strategy, the techniques being employed, real and truthful talk about calls made on the court and the rules of the game. They have a chance to take a huge step forward in the coverage. Don't blow it.

Are you looking for a gig?

You and I can double-team it!
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:34 pm

I have no idea if I'd be well spoken, but I'd love to try it.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Return to Hot Topics