How long before this insanity filters into ND?

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby rep » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:08 am

http://www.brookingsregister.com

BROOKINGS, S.D. (AP) â€â€
rep

Postby ndfbfan » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:26 am

Isn't this just crazy! Great article. Thanks for posting. Trust me, there is stuff like this that happens all over ND. It may not have reached this level, but I'm sure it has been threatened. In fact, I know it has been threatened. And we wonder why no one gets into coaching anymore. Almost no amount of money is worth the headache. Thanks again for posting!!
ndfbfan

Postby ndfan » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:21 pm

I have to agree with ndfbfan disagreements about playing time happen around the state with parents and coaches around the state. Thankfully it hasn't gotten this much publicity yet.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Ming01 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:11 pm

This is dumb.  It's just high school basketball.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby rep » Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:24 pm

Ming01 wrote:This is dumb.  It's just high school basketball.

it's dumb, but i can empathize from where the parents are coming from. playing on a winning team may get your kid a look from a college and could mean thousands of potential dollars in scholarships. if one of those kids would go to the nba (extremely doubtful, but lets put reality on hold for a second) it could mean millions of dollars.

of course, while i can empathize, it doesn't mean i sympathize...it is the nature of the beast in sports. these parents should grow up and get over it...it is a pretty stupid example to put forth as a parent of a kid.

needless to say, if you as a parent think that your kid is getting the shaft with playing time, do you think that taking a coach to court is going to increase or decrease that playing time?

of course, everyone's son or daughter is a mr./miss baketball candidate.

i'm honestly surprised media doesn't get sued more for this same kind of thing: donney dribbler's folks sue the crawfish cronicle for not giving donney the ink a player of his obvious ability deserves. the media only prints stories of the kids of the influential people in town like bankers, car salesmen, politicians, etc. anyway *shudder*
rep

Postby rkmt » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:18 pm

There's not enough room anywhere on this board for stories of people complaining about playing time, rotation, winning, having fun, amount of press (yes, it does happen - at least complaining to a coach that s/he didn't mention certain kids enough).  I think it's been happening forever to some degree, but it was a select few people that complained.  Now, more and more people have lost their minds and all objectivity about what should be happening on their kids' teams.  I liked the good old days when my parents looked at me if I said anything negative about my coach or something that happened at practice, rolled their eyes and said "pass the potatoes". 

Yes, it does happen, but I just hope the complaining never gets to this level in North Dakota.  And I agree with ndfbfan that less and less people are going into coaching partly for that reason.  And less and less people stay in coaching for long once they have a taste of it.  It is too bad.  Stories like this one don't help at all.
Last edited by rkmt on Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rkmt
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndfbfan » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:57 pm

I agree with that also. It probably has been going on for years and years. The difference now is that with all the outlets for parents, ie. blogs, e-mail etc.. it makes it more "public". Its not just the cafe downtown anymore. I think where you see it get really out of hand is when you have a coach with a son/daughter playing on the team as an 8th grader or freshmen. Of course they are usually, (not always) better than juniors and seniors on the team. Or quite simply, you have athletes who are willing to put time and effort into getting better, whereas parents feel that their kid should play no matter how much they put into it. And I agree wholeheartedly with the previous statement about parents feeling that their child is a Mr./Ms. Basketball candidate. Some kids are just not very good. I like how it was put, you can feel for the parents, but its hard to sympathize for them. Sadly, it seems like it is only getting worse and I don't have an easy answer or solution. I saw a coach who was getting berated by a parent take his whistle, walk right up to the father and hand it to him. One of the funniest things I've ever seen!!!
ndfbfan

Postby rep » Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:18 pm

rkmt wrote:Yes, it does happen, but I just hope the complaining never gets to this level in North Dakota.  And I agree with ndfbfan that less and less people are going into coaching partly for that reason.  And less and less people stay in coaching for long once they have a taste of it.  It is too bad. 

i'm curious if it effects the amount of people wanting to become a refs also? those guys probably take more heat than coaches, at least on game night.
rep

Postby ndfbfan » Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:17 pm

rep wrote:i'm curious if it effects the amount of people wanting to become a refs also? those guys probably take more heat than coaches, at least on game night.

To some extent maybe. However, those refs can return to their job the next day and life goes on. A coach has to face those kids and parents on an almost daily basis. Those parents are their neighbors, business owners etc... This is from a small town point of view of course. I do understand what you are saying though. But again, it's one night for the refs(for the most part) I'm sure it may happen though and you are right, it may affect some of their decisions to ref or not. People say, "ya, I understand how tough it must be to coach and take all the crap" but unless you've done it, you truly have no idea. I've had calls from parents while my wife and I are eating dinner. Thank goodness for caller ID. I've also had a parent call at 10:00 at night!! Not a big deal for me, but wife gets up early for work and is usally asleep by that time. It just gets ridiculous after awhile. Darned if you do, darned if you don't type situation.
ndfbfan

Postby rep » Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:23 pm

ndfbfan wrote:
rep wrote:i'm curious if it effects the amount of people wanting to become a refs also? those guys probably take more heat than coaches, at least on game night.

To some extent maybe. However, those refs can return to their job the next day and life goes on. A coach has to face those kids and parents on an almost daily basis. Those parents are their neighbors, business owners etc... This is from a small town point of view of course. I do understand what you are saying though. But again, it's one night for the refs(for the most part) I'm sure it may happen though and you are right, it may affect some of their decisions to ref or not. People say, "ya, I understand how tough it must be to coach and take all the crap" but unless you've done it, you truly have no idea. I've had calls from parents while my wife and I are eating dinner. Thank goodness for caller ID. I've also had a parent call at 10:00 at night!! Not a big deal for me, but wife gets up early for work and is usally asleep by that time. It just gets ridiculous after awhile. Darned if you do, darned if you don't type situation.

understand it completely...it is why i have a cell phone and no other phone in my house...the only people that can find me are the ones i give the number to

i know of other guys in the business who have gotten calls like that due to stories/columns/photo placement/etc.

haven't seen it much where i am now, for the most part they just call the office, but i have heard of it happening at past places i've worked
rep

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:19 am

what a bunch of bs.

playing time controversy is as old as sports, I say grow up, and grow a set.

And that goes for everyone involved, Players, Parents and Coaches.

players, work harder

parents, tell your kids to work harder

coaches, don't give in to the bs. Thats when things to to heck.

"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby Wild Wolves » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:22 pm

I was told that a case of a player being cut at Fargo north was going to trial.  is there any truth to this.  Wanna talk about a reduction in worthless courtroom time?  I would absolutely love to see a judge throw the case out right after levying a fine for wasting his /her time.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby bballuvr » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:11 pm

When listening to the Wisconsin-Arkansas football game last week, the commentators mentioned a situation where some parents of Arkansas players,[they mentioned the players by name], came to Houston Nutt and complained. They were complaining that his offense was too "run oriented". Some of their sons weren't gettin the ball thrown to them enough they said.  Arkansas lost that game, but did win 10 games this year I think. The commentators said that Houston Nutt probably knows what he's doing.

That's sad and hilarious at the same time. Some folks that coach are getting or stayin out and that's too bad. A lot of selfish complaining is just that, SELFISH. Team is about working together and accepting roles, etc. Not always easy, but true. I have found that many times young people and athletes can accept situations and roles much better than parents.
bballuvr
NDPreps All-Conference

Return to Hot Topics