Best HS QB...family

Postby point/center » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:18 am

Sheldon brothers of Regent...hands down.
Jay
Scott
Todd

name one that didn't win a state Title?
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby NDSportsFan » Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:54 pm

not a clue!!!....

How 'bout just football family?    Probably the Kittelsons to go along with them.  There were lots of incredibly talented guys (and families) from the old day's who played on less than successful teams.  They never got much press, but man some of those cats could play.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby 55 » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:55 pm

The Kittleson's are related to Weidler's also so i guess you could put that into consideration
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Southwest supporter » Sun May 14, 2006 5:54 pm

I believe that Scott didn't win a state title as QB but the blood lines were awesome.  I was lucky enough to play against both Jay and Scott.

Southwest supporter
NDPreps Rookie

Postby huskers » Sun May 14, 2006 6:26 pm

How about the Feeneys from Bismarck?
huskers
NDPreps Starter

Postby Saucesauer » Sun May 28, 2006 7:28 pm

Eichele brothers (Derek, Dalton and Daniel) from St. Mary's the fourth Drew will break the string, he is a lineman. All were/are better than average multisport athletes and for the most part had good success along the way. 
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby dmdp » Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:00 pm

Bar none, the Sheldon's are the best QB family in N.D. history. Ironically, they all have kids now and only one of them is a boy.

Scott didn't win a state championship, but was eyed as a D-I recruit during his junior year before he got hurt. He was the quickest of the three.

Todd was the best overall passer. Kind of got thrown under the bus at UMary though.

Jay was outstanding and used what he had around him really well. He also was a at the raw end of the old two good QBs at the same time in college.

dmdp
NDPreps Reserve

Postby UND9296 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:31 am

The Wahl's from Jamestown were very good. Ted started at South Dakota State for a few years in the 80's, and Korey started and played very well at UND for a year or two in the early 90's.
UND9296
NDPreps Starter

Postby the low down » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:46 pm

55 wrote:The Kittleson's are related to Weidler's also so i guess you could put that into consideration

I don't think that is true... but some good ballplayers categorized here.
the low down
NDPreps Starter

Postby dmdp » Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:50 pm

Kittelsons are related to the Michaelson's from Dickinson, Beulah and Williston. Now that's an athletic family.
dmdp
NDPreps Reserve

Postby MHSfan » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:03 pm

How about the Sandy family, with the two brothers having great coaching careers and Brad Sandy's son being a great QB for 4 years at Harvey.
"You miss 100% of all shots you don't take."
Wayne Gretzky
MHSfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby point/center » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:14 am

I think Sheldons were also related to the Kost family in Casselton that produced stellar girls bb and vb players a few years back.

and turning the tables they also were related to the Jones family of SD that is THE name in SD rodeo.
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball21 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:08 pm

how about the Shumachers from Thompson??? Brian almost won a state title and went on to star at Concordia, winning 2 mvps....while scott played with a less talented class and was, i believe, all state. he too signed at Concordia and will more than likely making some noise for starting next year.
baseball21
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Wild Wolves » Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:17 pm

The Schatz brothers in NE also had outstanding careers.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby thesports_guy32 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:36 am

MHSfan wrote:How about the Sandy family, with the two brothers having great coaching careers and Brad Sandy's son being a great QB for 4 years at Harvey.

the younger one, brian isn't a bad football player either
thesports_guy32

Postby ace » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:11 pm

thesports_guy32 wrote:
MHSfan wrote:How about the Sandy family, with the two brothers having great coaching careers and Brad Sandy's son being a great QB for 4 years at Harvey.

ya but hes not a QB, and brock sandy was actually held back so he was a year older than most of the players during his senior year, i think that makes a difference........
ace
NDPreps Starter

Postby fruit snack » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:38 pm

ace wrote:
thesports_guy32 wrote:

ya but hes not a QB, and brock sandy was actually held back so he was a year older than most of the players during his senior year, i think that makes a difference........

i agree...i watched him play some, hes not that bad really....but not that impressive
fruit snack

Postby dmdp » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:37 pm

As long as you're talking about Schatz's and Schumacher's, why not Trinity's Odermann brothers (Jacob and Kyle). Kyle was great back in the day and set many Concordia records. Jacob was Schumacher's backup at Concordia but had a much better high school career as an all-state first team quarterback his senior season when Trinity had Steffes and him in the same backfield and won their second straight state title.

Plus, they had John Odermann, Jacob's twin brother, who was a beast lineman.
dmdp
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Mailman_25 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:04 am

Krivarchka brothers from Lisbon.

2 of the 3 quarterbacked teams to the title game. Other one to the Semi's. Joe was '05 Gatorade Player of the Year.
Mailman_25
NDPreps Starter

Postby mitchstrand » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:41 am

I think to be a great football family to compare to the sheldon's who i think are the best, you have to have at least 3 brothers.  I don't know many families like that, but just to name some brothers that did great were Erik and Mike Klein from New England, Kittelsons from ...Velva?,  Wiedlers from... Harvey? might have switched the towns around.... 

Here are my list of top families

1) Sheldons (Regent)

2) McClearys (Napolean) ....close 2nd place...hard to beat 3 QBS who all played college ball...

3) Kittelson/Wiedlers

4) Oddermanns/ Steiners/ Ernsts  (who all played huge roles in Trinity's dynasty)

5) Kleins ( New England)  Mike was the star of NE/R in the middle of their run, and Eric was an all-state TE who played in some of NE's last year as a team...he is returning to Minot State after doing a tour in Afghanistan)

H.m.  

This part i am bias on because all i know for extended families is in SW ND...im sure you'll be able to tell, but thats why i have them as honorable mentions, because i am positive there are far better families in the other parts of the state.  But, The Grosz's out of Mott could be known as the next great FB family in the SW....lets see how they all develop at their respective levels of play

Greffs (Mott and Regent)  They had Travis ( who played with the likes of Josh Kehr on NE/R's title team in 95) Lucas (Line-Sub for NE/R 98-99), Adam (Lucas's Brother) (starting LB for M/R 00-01 and played at jamestown before knee problems got to him.  Nate (Travis's Brother) (started 3 years for M/R where they went to playoffs twice)  Tyler (all-state caliber player who led DAC in receiving yards this year for DSU)

Gions (Regent)

Clark (QB for NE/R and M/R 2 years) Grant (all-state TE senior yr after missing freshman-junior years with torn knees) Brock (all-state LB soph. year and poised to be top players before injuring his hip before first game of year this year, started at DT freshman year)

Grosz (mott)

Clint (all-state WR and now #2 receiver at DSU as a soph.) Tyler (all-state RB Region player of the year, heading to DSU as well)  Jay (going into his third starting and has been elected to all-conf 2 times)

Fuchs (carson)

Chance and Dylan both starred at F/C and Chance even won conf. player of the year as an OL/DL...very hard to do.

Messers/Quintus (R/T)

Don't know much about these families other than they have been in R/T for as long as i can remember.
Last edited by mitchstrand on Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
mitchstrand
NDPreps Reserve

Postby wahoo » Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:55 pm

Wild Wolves wrote:The Schatz brothers in NE also had outstanding careers.

Not to mention that their father and coach, Mike Schatz had a stellar football team with New England and also coached a  co-op with Regent when the Sheldon kids were playing 
wahoo

Postby ahhhh » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:31 pm

those are some good names
ahhhh

Re: Best HS QB...family

Postby old lineman » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:41 pm

With the Sheldon's it was all Dorthy she has an arm. When jay left for college, she taught the kid in the back yard to toss the ball, now he starts at QB at Minot State. Just to add fuel to the fire for the Mayville hater's that is her home town.
old lineman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby 9manfootballmom » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:28 pm

The Dorothy Sheldon that old lineman is talking about comes from a family of 6 sisters. The family has branched out and there are great athletes in each family. The oldest sister had a son that played for Concordia in the early nineties and was a defensive end. They have grandsons that are strong footballers. Someone else stated that the Kost girls (from Casselton) are also related and yes, they are cousins. Bethany Kost was a strong VB player for the Squirrels in the early 2000s when Casselton took the state VB title.
There is a sister in Minnesota that has a family of basketball players and coaches that continue the sporting tradition. The girls were standouts for the Kittson County Wolves in BB, SB and VB. One sister had a baseball player who played for the RedHawks, too.

It truly is a great sports family and each family does what it can to get to all the other fams games. You gotta love those sheldon boys. Now each of them has one boy. Jay has one of each, Todd has 2 girls and 1 boy, Scott has 2 girls and a new boy. Don't be surprised to hear that Sheldon name again in the future!
Way to go Dorothy! (and Jeff)
9manfootballmom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Wild Wolves » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:51 pm

I have heard that all of them are going to be in the Mandan school system? True?
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Next

Return to Football