Mayville State University Men's Basketball

No smack talk is allowed here.

Mayville State University Men's Basketball

Postby rrbb » Wed May 11, 2011 10:37 pm

rrbb wrote:
rrbb wrote:
Flip wrote:
rrbb wrote:Brady Robbins and Gus Kueber was on the Mayville State campus today! I heard that Kueber signed or is going to sign!! Great get for the Comets!!! I hope they can get Brady too!! Mayville is going to be MUCH improved next year with Bauduin(could be a STUD), Kueber and a few more recruits being added to the team.

I was at the Mayville/VCSU game and Robbins was in attendence.
How did Kueber do at Lake Region(?)

He did well! Made All MonDak Conference Team. He's very versatile(can play at the 3,4 or 5 (needs to continue to get stronger). Everyone knows how long and athletic he is, again a GREAT addition to the team!

I say Comets wins 20+ games next year!!!

It sounds like they may get a couple more talented juco players.
http://msucomets.com/news/2011/5/11/MBB_0511113746.aspx

Just signed Eric Shulstad from Pelican Rapids! Great sign! He played at Jamestown but ended up with Lymes disease and mono his freshman year, then went back home to Fergus Falls to play and recover. Very skilled and is getting stronger. Mayville will be soooo much better next year. Will be very skilled and fun to watch! Just need one more BIG!
rrbb
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Mayville State University Men's Basketball

Postby Big Blue » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:06 pm

I guess the improved comets didn't do enough this year as coach Justin Johnson will not be returning. With nearly the whole team set to come back, who will the comets look at to be their new coach?
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndbasketballfan007 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:24 pm

I sure hope they hire a coach from North Dakota
ndbasketballfan007
NDPreps Starter

Postby six2one » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:04 pm

I know the girls coach (hutter) was on the line too.
six2one
NDPreps Reserve

Postby BB11 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:06 pm

They were supposed to name a coach today - who was it?
I heard Grauppe (Sp) who used to coach Lake Region a few years ago was a candidate. Also heard Mike Hultz (former Minot state) was a candidate.
Anyone know?
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby packers21 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:12 pm

Mayvilles new coach is Dan Dewitt
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby BB11 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:07 am

packers21 wrote:Mayvilles new coach is Dan Dewitt

Thanks, Any info on him - I have no idea who that is.
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:48 pm

Any idea who some of the other candidates were?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby cubsfan » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:20 pm

Dan Dewitt, Aaron Thompson, and Mike Hultz were the finalists I believe. They each made presentations last week at the college.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:36 pm

cubsfan wrote:Dan Dewitt, Aaron Thompson, and Mike Hultz were the finalists I believe. They each made presentations last week at the college.

Just doing a quick google search Thompson and Hultz have a lot more experience than Dewitt. Thompson was even an all American at Mayville. I wonder what the deciding factor was.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:17 pm

Flip wrote:
cubsfan wrote:Dan Dewitt, Aaron Thompson, and Mike Hultz were the finalists I believe. They each made presentations last week at the college.

Just doing a quick google search Thompson and Hultz have a lot more experience than Dewitt. Thompson was even an all American at Mayville. I wonder what the deciding factor was.

That kind of surprises me, too. Thompson was a stud during his career at Mayville. He led some of the best teams in Comet history
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:40 pm

I know nothing about any of the coaches, except what I read online, but shortly after Johnson was fired I was at a meeting where another Mayville alum (I assume he played) thought it was a obvious hire to hire Thompson.

Thompson wasn't from ND like a previous poster wanted, but he was from Gary, MN probably an hour drive to Mayville.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:18 am

Mayville wanted someone with some D1 experience thats why they went with DeWitt. Also I think it worked in his favor that hes a younger coach, look at all the success around the country with younger coaches (Brad Steven, Shaka Smart etc....) Plus look at two of the coaches hes worked under Don Meyer and Tubby Smith!!!! I think its a good hire for Mayville, I wish it was a ND guy, but either was Smith and look what happened.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Tue May 15, 2012 10:06 pm

I talked to a current player tonight and he said DeWitt and Hultz had really good presentations and that cost Thompson.

packers21 wrote:Mayville wanted someone with some D1 experience thats why they went with DeWitt.

If this is true it doesn't make any sense to me.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Wed May 16, 2012 9:56 am

Why doesn't it? I actually think they made the right call here. Got a good young coach.
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Wed May 16, 2012 12:21 pm

Granted I know close to nothing about coaching college basketball, but coaching at a D1 level doesn't seem even seem remotely similar to coaching at Mayville.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby D3fan » Wed May 23, 2012 2:36 pm

Hultz was never a finalist. The third finalist was Nate Kaeding I believe. I've heard a few players have left the team already because of the new coach. I think Kueber was one of them.
D3fan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby dakotahoops » Wed May 23, 2012 3:57 pm

D3fan wrote:Hultz was never a finalist. The third finalist was Nate Kaeding I believe. I've heard a few players have left the team already because of the new coach. I think Kueber was one of them.

This guy will do great! He's going to be very demanding and wants guys that are ALL IN! I feel bad for Gus, but this coach is serious ( like his college coach Don Meyer) he will bring it! Very good hire!!!
dakotahoops
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flip » Wed May 23, 2012 11:46 pm

D3fan wrote:Hultz was never a finalist. The third finalist was Nate Kaeding I believe. I've heard a few players have left the team already because of the new coach. I think Kueber was one of them.

Did the Chargers cut him?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Tue May 29, 2012 11:37 pm

Kueber going to VCSU.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby luvndhoops » Wed May 30, 2012 7:30 pm

Flip wrote:

Kueber going to VCSU.

Sit out a year, pay out of pocket, then maybe play? Doesn't make sense to me, but as long as he's happy with the decision!
luvndhoops
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flip » Wed May 30, 2012 7:43 pm

Sounded like the coach signed a release for him so he wouldn't have to sit for a year.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby luvndhoops » Thu May 31, 2012 7:32 pm

Flip wrote:Sounded like the coach signed a release for him so he wouldn't have to sit for a year.

Could be true! Sooooo sad though!!!
luvndhoops
NDPreps Reserve

Postby luvndhoops » Thu May 31, 2012 7:36 pm

luvndhoops wrote:
Flip wrote:Sounded like the coach signed a release for him so he wouldn't have to sit for a year.

I know for a fact, VCSU won't give him much $$$! I'll leave it at that! Good luck to him!
luvndhoops
NDPreps Reserve

Postby luvndhoops » Thu May 31, 2012 7:38 pm

luvndhoops wrote:
luvndhoops wrote:

I know for a fact, VCSU won't give him much $$$! I'll leave it at that! Good luck to him!

I should clarify Basketball $$$$!!!
luvndhoops
NDPreps Reserve

Next

Return to North Dakota's Universities and Colleges