Mr. Basketball/Ms. Basketball- can they strip award?

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Mr. Basketball/Ms. Basketball- can they strip award?

Postby Makotifarmguy » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:31 pm

Just curious. Do you believe they could strip the award from a player if deemed a correct decision?

I am guessing it has never been done before, but hypothetically speaking if you awarded it to an athlete and then they "took a dark road" afterwards, could they or maybe should they be stripped of the award?

What would constitute the strip of the award? violent crime? not graduating or completing high school? drugs or alcohol violation?

Thoughts?
"Take the bull by the horns"
Makotifarmguy
NDPreps Starter

Re: Mr. Basketball/Ms. Basketball- can they strip award?

Postby Flip » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:04 pm

scc wrote:If the event occurs after high school, I can't see how revoking the award is justified. Is this a purely hypothetical question?

I agree as long as they stay clean for the couple months after they win the award and they graduate they should keep it.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Makotifarmguy » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:14 pm

My "hypothetical" situation example be the time between getting the award and when they graduate high school.

Example: End up missing a bunch of classes, fail some courses, not eligible to graduate. Another example could be drug/alcohol convictions along with a felony theft prior to graduation.

Would you strip or allow them to keep the award?
"Take the bull by the horns"
Makotifarmguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby scoobyx2 » Wed May 23, 2012 12:01 pm

I would say no. They earned it on their merits up to getting the award. There are no expectations or obligations afterwards like a Miss America winner who has to meet several predetermined obligations, and represent the group until a new winner is announced. I would say the one reason a player should be stripped of the award is if he/she (or the school) was ineligible to compete at the time the award was presented.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby winner-within » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:31 pm

If its between the Award and the end of the school year.....yes strip it....keep track of the votes (which they do I'm sure) and give it to the runner up....if in fact he's/she's kept their nose clean JMO
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Return to Hot Topics