Private Schools Shouldn't be Class B!

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby digger » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:38 am

As of 6/04 Trinity had a male enrollment of 104 in grades 9-12,  Oak Grove 106, Ryan 111.  Some of the larger "B" public schools;  Beulah 150,  Hazen 135, Lisbon 134, Rugby 126, Newtown 125, May-Port 108, Des Lacs 105, Central Cass 117, Harvey 103, Watford City 98, Thompson 96, LLM 97, Kindred 95, Larimore 106,...(NDHSAA figures)

The private schools are where they belong, Trinity has been on a roll recently and developed a very good tradition in their athletic programs.  May-Port has experienced a similar situation in basketball, Watford City in football, etc.  Should they be moved up a class as well?
digger
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Ming01 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:08 pm

region1 football wrote:you look at other schools though in class B and you find the difference.  LMM 7-12, 89 kids.  Edgly 90 kids,  Kulm  83 kids.  This is what class B teams have to look forward to working with.  The church school should be in class A nomatter what is said.

You don't know what you are talking about.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby Takedown » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:12 pm

You guys have to realize its not realy the athlete thats getting recruited but its the parents.:box:
Respect must be earned but honor must be proven.
Takedown
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Takedown » Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:02 pm

I think that the high school sports assosication should look at it and whatever they decide will be it so this topic can be over and done with once and for all.

Takedown
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Takedown » Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:10 pm

play_d_shoot3 wrote:If double bonus was telling other towns to recruit im guessing thats what they would've said but no.....the way to do somethign about it is to work harder and build your program so you can beat schools like Trinity that can kick butt in almost anything....and even if Trinity DOES hire their own refs for games who cares?? they aren't gonna favor trinity just cuz thats who they got hired by, i have seen many refs that have reffed many other schools besides trinity and have acted the same to every school. 
Did u whach the regional championships with trinity verse bowman that was some of the worst reffing ive ever seen ask anyone that was at the game.
Takedown
NDPreps Reserve

Postby scruffy » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:46 am

Excuse me takedown, but the region has a say in who officiates regional tournaments. Its not  the school thats hosts the event.  With girls basketball being played at the same time as boys,  there is a shortage of officials at tournament time with girls, boys and class "A" and class "B" going on at the same time. The class "B" regionals don't always get the cream of the crop....
Last edited by scruffy on Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby Saucesauer » Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:43 pm

baseball4life wrote:and one final post what classifies a town as a class a town? how are you going to determine a class a town. you are telling me that you expect williston trinity christian high school to compete in class a baseball?

do  you guys really think shilo christian school could compete with bhs chs or smchs
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:16 pm

Saucesauer wrote:
baseball4life wrote:and one final post what classifies a town as a class a town? how are you going to determine a class a town. you are telling me that you expect williston trinity christian high school to compete in class a baseball?

do  you guys really think shilo christian school could compete with bhs chs or smchs

last year with Opp, Bearstail, and Bachmeier i woulda taken Shiloh 8-10 times against Saint Mary's.....
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Takedown » Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:47 pm

scruffy wrote:Excuse me takedown, but the region has a say in who officiates regional tournaments. Its not  the school thats hosts the event.  With girls basketball being played at the same time as boys,  there is a shortage of officials at tournament time with girls, boys and class "A" and class "B" going on at the same time. The class "B" regionals don't always get the cream of the crop....

Where u at the game. Even if they dont get the cream of the crop the reffing shouldn't be that bad. Plus i never said that trinity get there own ref's. But when a guy puts up a shot after the buzzer and its called good. That shouldn't take the best ref to realize that.
Takedown
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Jens » Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:03 am

nativegolfer wrote:Simple Solution:  If your school is in a Class A town, then you are a Class A school. 

are you kidding?!?!?! ok so Williston Trinity Christian has to battle it out against Williston High School in basketball.....um no....they have twice as many males in each class then Williston Trinity has people in its high school. Basically everyone who wants to see private schools go class A needs to realize that we don't have secret meetings and recruit people. 

Last edited by Jens on Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jens
NDPreps Reserve

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:34 am

[user=935]Jens[/user] wrote: style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff"
Get over it, why cant you just realize that religious schools have a better work ethics then most public schools.   

Because your a religious school that gives you a better work ethic than others?
Last edited by NATURAL TALENT on Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Postby Jens » Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:12 am

Last edited by Jens on Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jens
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Takedown » Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:47 pm

Yes i realize this is not the only time it happens. But that shot combined with other things=terrible reffing i'm not say trinity or other schools hire them but could they offer them incentives???
Takedown
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Diamond D » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:18 am

I can tell you of a couple of recruiting incidences from 1992 to 1995.  These instances were not only private, but public schools as well.

Pankratz from Carpio to Minot Ryan

Randy Lewis from Velva to Minot High

Les Jepsen's brother from Bowbells to Williston

Jody Granlie (female) from Underwood to Washburn

One of the Henry boys from Newburg to Minot Ryan

Then you have the Landsford group that either got pulled towards Glenburn or towards Mohall.  There was alot of pulling on plenty of those guys.  Undilin went to Mohall, but Routelage (sp?) went to Glenburn.

DD
Diamond D

Postby shs01240 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:37 am

Hey im a student at fargo shanley and just stumbled upon this topic.  i would just like to add that it is not school policy for administrators to recruit.  no money is given to athletes.  everyone pays the same tuition regardless of what activities they are in.  Students on the other hand may be recruiting their athletic friends to come to their school.  this usually happens in the 8th,and 9th grades, because it is a defenite possibility that a good athlete at north or south wouldn't see varsity time until their junior or senior year.  at a private school like oak grove or shanley, the odds of becoming a 4 or even 3 year starter are significantly better.
I never blame myself when I'm not hitting. I just blame the bat and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn't my fault that I'm not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?
-Yogi Berra
shs01240
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Claz B Fan » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:35 pm

Well said shs ++++++++
Claz B Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby AAfootballfan » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:23 pm

So when Dickinson Trinity went and got Kimball Fouatea if thats how you spell his name out of the correctional facility a few years ago to play football for the Titans was he going there for Religious Reasons....I'll say that I believe these schools do belong in class B still but they do have advantages at times...
AAfootballfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NDSportsFan » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:35 pm

Kids from the correctional center were only allowed to go to Trinity,  because of a decision made by the center.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby shs01240 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:04 am

As far as kids being "accepted" into private schools i can only speak about SHS.  as far as i know any new prospective students aren't just allowed in.  there is somewhat of an interview process, (Not very rigorous) but there is a limit to the number of student enrolled at our schools.  i'm pretty sure the administration would defenitely frown upon a student transferring for the sole reason of athletics.  Though it may still happen, odds of being let in are increased if there is a stated religious sentiment.  whether truthful or not.
I never blame myself when I'm not hitting. I just blame the bat and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn't my fault that I'm not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?
-Yogi Berra
shs01240
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Baller » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:50 am

sorry to say...but I can't of think of a time when a an athlete has transfered to St. Mary's for its athletic program.  There is more recruitment for music at that school.....way more recruiting done by bismarck high and mandan than SM.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball18 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:36 pm

Baller wrote:sorry to say...but I can't of think of a time when a an athlete has transfered to St. Mary's for its athletic program.  There is more recruitment for music at that school.....way more recruiting done by bismarck high and mandan than SM.

yeah, its not like Steve Miller calling Drew Hendrickson every night of his sophomore year to come to BHS.  Hey and look how that turned out.
baseball18
NDPreps All-State

Postby magichoops » Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:45 am

The private schools themseleves don't recruit. It is parents and boosters that do the recruiting. My solution to all of this is to bring back the North Star conference.
magichoops

Postby Baller » Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:16 am

magichoops wrote:The private schools themseleves don't recruit. It is parents and boosters that do the recruiting. My solution to all of this is to bring back the North Star conference.

You can't tell me private schools...look what mandan does year in and year out....if its not amundson recruiting, then someone is putting the idea in these girls' head to go to mandan.  there is so much jockeying to get kids to either declare bismarck or century for kids before they get to 9th grade. this is not an issue of private schools being class b that is for sure
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby magic715 » Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:33 am

Diamond D wrote:I can tell you of a couple of recruiting incidences from 1992 to 1995.  These instances were not only private, but public schools as well.

Pankratz from Carpio to Minot Ryan

Randy Lewis from Velva to Minot High

Les Jepsen's brother from Bowbells to Williston

Jody Granlie (female) from Underwood to Washburn

One of the Henry boys from Newburg to Minot Ryan

Then you have the Landsford group that either got pulled towards Glenburn or towards Mohall.  There was alot of pulling on plenty of those guys.  Undilin went to Mohall, but Routelage (sp?) went to Glenburn.

DD
Well in the last instance, i dont think it was recruiting, at all, Undlins mother worked in Mohall, and i am not sure aobut the Routledge situation, other than i think they were closer friends with the Glenburn kids than the Mohall kids. I am from glenburn area originally and never felt like mohall recruited Undlin or Glenburn recruited the Routledges, but also there were a few other good players from lansford not mentioned that went one way or the other. But with there high school closing, they got to make there choice, and rightfully so i feel.
magic715

Postby shs01240 » Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:28 am

there is asolutely no way that a private school in north dakoata would ever get away with giving free-rides to athletes.  you have to realize how po'd people in groups like drama and choir would be if that were ever true.  When you start to determine which families get athletic scholarships and which don't, the animosity created amongst parents would be far too high for that school to continue existing.  There is now way that free rides are being given out to athletes.  Shanley is Class A and we compete against the north's and south's of the state without scholarships, and im sure everyone else does to.

-Yogi Berra
shs01240
NDPreps All-Conference

PreviousNext

Return to Hot Topics