Great All-around Athletes

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Great All-around Athletes

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:36 pm

Apologize if there is another thread for this but couldn't find one.

I am going to nominate Brent Viger of Edmore, class of 1981, as the most talented, all around athlete I have witnessed over the years.
Brent was 6'-5" and weighed around 235 lbs coming out of high school. Never lifted weights (or very little) until college. He had a vertical jump right around 36". He was drafted out of high school as a pitcher. Threw around 92 mph. Not sure if they had a track program in Edmore, but he was sprinter fast. Was all-state in basketball multiple years and believe they lost in the state championship or semis to eventual undefeated state champs Hillsboro in '81. Pretty sure they made it back to back years. But the one sport that Edmore didn't have and I believe Brent would have dominated, was football. He could have played any position but wonder if he could have went to the bigs as a QB (he did have asthma so maybe not). He carried a 4.0 GPA in college as well and played both college basketball and baseball. He is my nominee. (some people may have more information on Brent so please fill in the holes).
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Re: Great All-around Athletes

Postby Sportsrube » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:17 am

I had the joy (?) of facing him in Legion baseball and in college baseball. Dude could bring the heat! In college he developed a curve that made him even tougher to face. You could sit on his fastball, but you still had to hit it! I remember watching him in basketball in highschool - very good all around athlete like you said.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby winner-within » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:08 pm

Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:Apologize if there is another thread for this but couldn't find one.

I am going to nominate Brent Viger of Edmore, class of 1981, as the most talented, all around athlete I have witnessed over the years.
Brent was 6'-5" and weighed around 235 lbs coming out of high school. Never lifted weights (or very little) until college. He had a vertical jump right around 36". He was drafted out of high school as a pitcher. Threw around 92 mph. Not sure if they had a track program in Edmore, but he was sprinter fast. Was all-state in basketball multiple years and believe they lost in the state championship or semis to eventual undefeated state champs Hillsboro in '81. Pretty sure they made it back to back years. But the one sport that Edmore didn't have and I believe Brent would have dominated, was football. He could have played any position but wonder if he could have went to the bigs as a QB (he did have asthma so maybe not). He carried a 4.0 GPA in college as well and played both college basketball and baseball. He is my nominee. (some people may have more information on Brent so please fill in the holes).

Vig was a Stud...so was Danny Peska ......played some independent with those boys.....My claim to fame with VIGER was at a Red Willow softball tourn.....softball distance throw from left field to home plate....he got third (26 years old), I got second (24 years old)....he may have been a bit fuller than was...Lol!
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:46 pm

Good stuff winner. Yeah, Danny was a heck of an athlete as well. He could throw down a 2-hander at full speed that would make a wall shake. haha

Was also hoping other posters would nominate someone and give their information so we could vote later on. Know that guys like Jimmy K., Phil, D. Osbourne, Boschee have been mentioned many times on many threads. Was hoping to find some guys who were just all-around studs in every sport that may have chosen not to pursue athletics after high school or may have been good enough to go pro but wasn't their cup of tea. Another guy, Scott Radloff from Chaffee ND, was one heck of an athlete. Believe he played AAA ball for the Reds(?), but was also great in all sports. Those are guys from a while back, but would like to hear about players from any era. Thanks.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:00 pm

Some that come to mind for me....Darin Erstad, Marty MacDonald, Jason Haagenson. All of these guys excelled in multiple sports.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:24 pm

Tim Christian 1978 Walhalla....Track, Football, Basketball (animal)....played football at Dickinson State
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:40 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:Some that come to mind for me....Darin Erstad, Marty MacDonald, Jason Haagenson. All of these guys excelled in multiple sports.

Another one in that era would be Justin Fletschok (sp). Of course went on to pitch minor league ball for the Redhawks.

If you guys have any personal information on the person: height, weight, etc. and some of their accomplishments include them if you would as well. Year graduated, did they play sports in college, where, etc.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:51 pm

Roger Maris was a three sport star in high school at Fargo Shanley: (Baseball, Football and Basketball)

HS Football: returned FOUR kickoffs for TDs in ONE game

Recruited to play football at the Univ. of Oklahoma...left after one semester and signed minor league baseball contract with the Cleveland Indians organization.

Major League debut was in 1957 with the Indians..traded to the KC A's in 1958. Traded to the Yankees from the KC A's in 1959.

Famous for 1961 where he out-dueled teammate Mickey Mantle and hit 61 HRs (breaking Babe Ruth's record). Maris played until 1968.

Awards: 7-time All-Star (1959-1962; two games played 1960-1962), 3-time World Series Champ (1961, 1962, 1967), 2-time AL MVP (1960 & 1961)...Gold Glove Award (1960).

His #9 is a retired number for the New York Yankees.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:31 pm

Jason Haagenson was a 2 time all state fball player as well as 2 time all state basketball player. Finished his HS bball career with over 2300 pts which ranked 3rd at the time. Leeds bball was 52-4 in his last two seasons, placing 5th his Jr year and 2nd his Sr year. Fball team was state semi finalist his JR year, losing in 2 OT to Rolette 3-0 with them going on to win it all. State Javelin champion his senior year with a state record throw. Great baseball player as well, but Leeds never had baseball so he played legion in DL. Played baseball and football for 4 years at Jamestown.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby CAS10 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:11 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:Roger Maris was a three sport star in high school at Fargo Shanley: (Baseball, Football and Basketball)

HS Football: returned FOUR kickoffs for TDs in ONE game

Recruited to play football at the Univ. of Oklahoma...left after one semester and signed minor league baseball contract with the Cleveland Indians organization.

Major League debut was in 1957 with the Indians..traded to the KC A's in 1958. Traded to the Yankees from the KC A's in 1959.

Famous for 1961 where he out-dueled teammate Mickey Mantle and hit 61 HRs (breaking Babe Ruth's record). Maris played until 1968.

Awards: 7-time All-Star (1959-1962; two games played 1960-1962), 3-time World Series Champ (1961, 1962, 1967), 2-time AL MVP (1960 & 1961)...Gold Glove Award (1960).

His #9 is a retired number for the New York Yankees.

Hard to top this one. Maris had by far the best pro career for a ND high school athlete.
CAS10
NDPreps Reserve

Return to Hot Topics