Eligibility/Transfer Rules

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Eligibility/Transfer Rules

Postby ClassBEast » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:05 am

This paragraph stuck out to me when I read the article in today's FORUM about the Lehman brothers from West Fargo:

"According to NDHSAA bylaws, a family must totally vacate their existing home and move into a new school district to be eligible immediately to participate in activities. If there isn’t a change in residence, an athlete is required to sit out varsity competition for 180 school days."

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/265636/

So is this a new bylaw that occurred AFTER the whole Linton situation last year? It obviously wasn't in place before then, right?
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Re: Eligibility/Transfer Rules

Postby Baller » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

I think it was in place. The Roemichs sold there house in Botno, thus vacating their residence and techinically moved to Linton as the parents were "commuting" to work in botno.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ClassBEast » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:42 am

Baller wrote:I think it was in place. The Roemichs sold there house in Botno, thus vacating their residence and techinically moved to Linton as the parents were "commuting" to work in botno.

Aahh, yes that 200+ mile commute. :?

How does it work with private schools? Say my child lives in Casselton and when he is a junior, I would like him to go to Oak Grove. Does he have to sit out of varsity sports for 180 school days? We don't move, I just want him to go to a private school. (Purely hypothetical, BTW!)
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Baller » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:13 am

ClassBEast wrote:
Baller wrote:I think it was in place. The Roemichs sold there house in Botno, thus vacating their residence and techinically moved to Linton as the parents were "commuting" to work in botno.

Aahh, yes that 200+ mile commute. :?

How does it work with private schools? Say my child lives in Casselton and when he is a junior, I would like him to go to Oak Grove. Does he have to sit out of varsity sports for 180 school days? We don't move, I just want him to go to a private school. (Purely hypothetical, BTW!)

Yes they have to sit. There were two boys that transfered from South to Oak Grove. They were able to play JV but cannot play varsity.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby NDFan09 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:34 pm

The NDHSAA catches a lot of grief on this topic. But IMO the real problem with these situations lies with the parents, administrators, and communities. If I want my kid to switch schools, I can "sell" my house to a relative. I can rent a cheap apartment in my "new" hometown. Here's my favorite - I can tell everybody who asks that I am sending my child to this new school because of the "academic" opportunities (I'm still a little unsure how the academic opportunites are enhanced by playing Varsity - as opposed to playing JV for a year). It doesn't take a seasoned detective to see what is going on, but the people mentioned above (parents, administrators, fans) will defend it as if it is that kid's inalienable right that he/she gets to play sports wherever they see fit. There are rules in place to try to maintain an equal playing field for all participants. But as long as there are people willing to bend these rules, to overlook the intent of these rules, to place winning games over teaching young people - there will be ways around the rules. I encourage the NDHSAA to take a hardline stance in these situations. I find it sad that they would need to, but clearly we have passed a point where we can rely on our adults in charge of individual schools to do what is right. Don't get me wrong - there are plenty of places that go about things the right way. But it's time to reign in those that feel the rules don't quite apply to them.
NDFan09
NDPreps Reserve

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:20 pm

I believe that the NDHSAA is just as bad as the parents, players, and others who skirt or bend the rules.....after all, they moved an eligibility line just so one school can "compete"
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sportsrube » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:35 pm

luvmy3gbb1wr wrote:I believe that the NDHSAA is just as bad as the parents, players, and others who skirt or bend the rules.....after all, they moved an eligibility line just so one school can "compete"

I couldn't agree more :!:
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ClassBEast » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:24 am

Angry e-mail from South parent likely won't change NDHSAA transfer rules
By: Heath Hotzler, INFORUM

A Fargo South wrestling parent was so angry over a recent rash of transfers to West Fargo, he recently fired off a scathing e-mail to the North Dakota High School Activities Association’s Board of Directors asking for the rules to be more closely scrutinized.

However, it’s doubtful the NDHSAA Board will fulfill the request.

Incoming Board president Clarke Ranum said that the current transfer rule was recently given the legal thumbs up by the attorney who represents the NDHSAA, and that the Board will likely take no steps to change it.

“The way it is written, if it was challenged, it would hold up in court,” said Ranum of Bismarck attorney Gary Thune’s legal opinion. “Let’s put it this way: I can live with the transfer rule as it is written.”

South parent Rick Fugleberg and others recently called the rule into question after two sets of Lehmann brothers transferred to West Fargo last year. All competed on the Packers wrestling team.

Tyler Lehmann came to the Packers after earning back-to-back Minnesota state titles at Apple Valley. He will be a freshman at the University of Minnesota this season. Younger brother, Preston, transferred from Fargo North.

Cousins Eric and Michael transferred from Wahpeton High School. Tyler and Eric each won individual state titles. Preston finished second.

The Packers ended Bismarck’s 10-year reign as Class A state dual champions last season.

Dean Lehmann, the father of Eric and Michael, said last month that his family is moving back to Wahpeton. Preston will be a sophomore at West Fargo.

“I don’t think anything can be done about the past,” said Fugleberg, whose sons Tony and Gerad each won state titles at South. “But I think someone needs to take a look as to what we can do about the future. And it’s not just wrestling. There are a lot of other sports where this stuff goes on.”

Ranum, the Superintendent of United Public Schools of Des Lacs-Burlington, said the transfer rule is questioned every year.

According to NDHSAA bylaws, a family must totally vacate their existing home and move into a new school district to be eligible immediately to participate in activities. If there isn’t a change in residence, an athlete is required to sit out varsity competition for 180 school days.

The bylaw stipulates that “a second residence shall not meet the requirement” of a change in residence.

Fargo North principal Andy Dahlen last December filed a complaint urging the NDHSAA to look into a possible transfer rule infraction by the family of Tyler of Preston Lehmann. Eric and Michael were not named in the complaint.

After an investigation, the activities association ruled in January that the parents of Tyler and Preston Lehmann did not break the rules.

North did not appeal the decision.

“Nothing gets ignored,” Ranum said. “If something is brought up, there has to be an investigation. … Sometimes if people want to find a way around the rules, a loophole or an inch, they will take advantage of it. But every time a situation comes up it is re-examined as to whether it can be revised through some type of language. So far nothing has been done.”

NDHSAA Executive Secretary Sherm Sylling said a change in the transfer rule would require a change in the organization’s bylaws.

Such a change must be made by the Board of Directors.

Ranum said a change would then need to be voted on by the member schools.

Fugleberg’s letter will be included in the Board’s information packet for its meeting today in Valley City.

In the letter, Fugleberg asks the Board to make a statement to the state.

“… Clean up the transfer rules in the state, do some investigating of past complaints and start stripping titles and enforce the forfeiting of contests for all sports with transfer rule infractions,” Fugleberg wrote.

Fugleberg said he no longer wants the NDHSAA to strip titles from any athletes or schools.

“Should they take away titles? heck no,” said Fugleberg, who has worked under the name Rick Roberts as a radio host on various stations. “There were four very good wrestlers out there. (The NDHSAA) need to know there are some people out there that were upset with what happened. Should they take a look at it? Probably. Should they refine the rules a little? Probably. Where they heck are you going to draw the line?”
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby vballfan06 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:41 pm

I understand the anger parents, fans, athletes, etc. have over the transfer issues. However, I'm not real sure how the NDHSAA can do anything else than they are currently---to rectify this issue. Do we want them to knock on doors at 6am on a Tuesday morning to see if mom and dad are staying at this new 'residence'.

I fully agree that what has been done in the past is wrong. I'm just not sure how to rewrite the bylaw or enforce the current one.
vballfan06
NDPreps Starter

Postby scoobyx2 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:13 am

vballfan06 wrote:I understand the anger parents, fans, athletes, etc. have over the transfer issues. However, I'm not real sure how the NDHSAA can do anything else than they are currently---to rectify this issue. Do we want them to knock on doors at 6am on a Tuesday morning to see if mom and dad are staying at this new 'residence'.

I fully agree that what has been done in the past is wrong. I'm just not sure how to rewrite the bylaw or enforce the current one.

I agree. If families are willing to "vacate" their current residence, and move to a completely new home just for their kids to excel in athletics, then what can the NDHSAA do about that? The administration of the new school should know if any new family is actually living in their district basically for the well being of their students in that household.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ClassBEast » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:11 am

It's time to accept that North Dakota transfer rules are here to stay
By: Heath Hotzler, INFORUM

The North Dakota High School Activities Association’s transfer rule was thrust into the spotlight again this week with standout wrestler Anjelo Shepherd’s move from Fargo North to West Fargo.

Shepherd, a freshman who has already earned two Class A state titles, will be immediately eligible for competition with the Packers because his family has moved to the West Fargo school district.

Anyone have a feeling of déjà vu?

The wrestling season was already under way last school year when another transfer kerfuffle involving West Fargo and North gained a ton of attention.

In December of 2009, North Principal Andy Dahlen filed a complaint with the NDHSAA, citing a possible rules infraction by the family of West Fargo’s Tyler and Preston Lehmann.

Preston transferred from North and Tyler came from Minnesota wrestling power Apple Valley. Cousin Michael Lehmann also transferred from Wahpeton.

An investigation cleared Tyler’s and Preston’s parents of any wrongdoing.

West Fargo went on to end Bismarck’s 10-year run as state Class A dual champions. Tyler and Michael each earned individual crowns.

Message boards were filled last year with comments about West Fargo’s “tainted title.”

There were whispers.

And there was an open letter from a Fargo South wrestling parent urging the NDHSAA Board of Directors to strip the Packers of their championship.

Talk of the “tainted title” ramped up again when Michael Lehmann and family transferred back to Wahpeton before this season.

Now the buzz grows again following Shepherd’s arrival.

Some are pointing a judgmental finger at West Fargo High School for allowing this to happen. Something has to be up for so many to transfer to West Fargo, right?

That camp is missing the point entirely.

This is not West Fargo’s fault. It’s not Packers activities director Curt Jones’ fault. It’s not Packers wrestling coach Kayle Dangerud’s fault.

It’s not Anjelo Shepherd’s fault.

These are NOT the people making the decisions. Jones and Dangerud are accepting a student into their school and wrestling program that lives in their district.

Would you have them turn Shepherd away?

The decision-makers in these instances are the parents.

Only they know why they moved.

This writer believes parents are doing their kids a disservice if they are uprooting their families to get into more competitive sports programs.

It shouldn’t be all about winning or getting a college scholarship or getting to the pros.

But if parents make the choice to go through all of the hassle of moving for sports, so be it.

It’s their call.

The NDHSAA transfer rule isn’t changing. We have to get used to seeing this kind of thing.

With the way sports are valued today, I’m shocked we even raise an eyebrow anymore when kids bounce from one school to another.

If everything is above board, we shouldn’t be passing judgments on school districts, administrators, coaches or students.

And we should definitely ditch the talk about “tainted titles.”
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby scoobyx2 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:38 pm

Are West Fargo wrestlers getting better college offers than wrestlers from the other Fargo schools? These athletes are obviously already winning so it can't really be about that, but I wouldn't blame a parent for trying to give their child a better opportunity at a scholarship for a college education. I have friends out of state who moved their son to a different school because their school's AD and coaches simply didn't make it a priority to promote their student athletes.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby SportShots » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:07 pm

Let a kid go wherever they want. We do it for a kid who wants a particular school for the Chemistry or Science or Music program.

Why not Sports?

No school, no matter how good will get every kid. Not enough roster spots available.

If you want a great academic program and one school has it there is no problem. Why should it be different if you want your kid to play for a specific coach for for specific opportunities?
SportShots
NDPreps Reserve

Postby defensewinsgames » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:56 pm

I'm not sure we should be encouraging people to move just to be on a certain athletic team. It already happens all of the time and honestly I'm not sure why they need to do it but it's their own decision! And thy should be allowed to make it. But switching schools 3 times (class b boys basketball has a kid) is absolutly ridiculous!
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby defensewinsgames » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:57 pm

^^^^^^^^^ he is now class a boys basketball
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby ClassBEast » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:02 pm

defensewinsgames wrote:^^^^^^^^^ he is now class a boys basketball

Any word if Kretchman has to play JV at Davies this year? Or did the NDHSAA approve his transfer and let him play varsity?
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:16 pm

ClassBEast wrote:
defensewinsgames wrote:^^^^^^^^^ he is now class a boys basketball

Any word if Kretchman has to play JV at Davies this year? Or did the NDHSAA approve his transfer and let him play varsity?

I've heard he has to play JV.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby defensewinsgames » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:34 am

Nope he is playing JV this year. So he transfered to go play on a JV team.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby Indy5 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:00 pm

defensewinsgames wrote:Nope he is playing JV this year. So he transfered to go play on a JV team.

Maybe he just wanted to attend the brand new super nice school in his district instead of driving a half hour to school.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby defensewinsgames » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:29 pm

You honestly think that's true? Cause then I'm completely fine with it. But seeig as how he has switched 2 times already and the previous ones have been for sports I kind of doubt that. I honestly hope your right
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby Indy5 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:38 pm

defensewinsgames wrote:You honestly think that's true? Cause then I'm completely fine with it. But seeig as how he has switched 2 times already and the previous ones have been for sports I kind of doubt that. I honestly hope your right

Never met the kid, don't know him at all. I'm just saying that it's a possibility.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby ClassBEast » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:41 am

Indy5 wrote:
defensewinsgames wrote:You honestly think that's true? Cause then I'm completely fine with it. But seeig as how he has switched 2 times already and the previous ones have been for sports I kind of doubt that. I honestly hope your right

Never met the kid, don't know him at all. I'm just saying that it's a possibility.

Kindred is building a brand new school right now, so your theory really doesn't hold water. If he just would have stayed in Casselton, he would have been part of a pretty great team this year that has a chance of making it far. As of now, he is playing JV at Davies. I hope it was worth it.
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:18 pm

ClassBEast wrote:
Indy5 wrote:

Kindred is building a brand new school right now, so your theory really doesn't hold water. If he just would have stayed in Casselton, he would have been part of a pretty great team this year that has a chance of making it far. As of now, he is playing JV at Davies. I hope it was worth it.

Still has the potential of being on some pretty special Davies teams to come.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Indy5 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:17 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
ClassBEast wrote:
Indy5 wrote:

I hope he knows he won't even be the best player on his team.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:35 pm

Indy5 wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
ClassBEast wrote:
Indy5 wrote:

I hope he knows he won't even be the best player on his team.

I'm sure he knows that.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Next

Return to Hot Topics