Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:31 pm

Friday, November 11th
@ FargoDome

E2 Fargo Shanley (8-3) vs. E1 Grafton (11-0) @ approx. 3:00 pm
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Re: Class AA FINAL

Postby old#63 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:48 am

I'm a Grafton fan, and I've been worried about this rematch since Grafton rolled over Shanley the first time. Grafton is going to have to bring their best if they want the trophy.

I posted this back on Aug 17, when some people said Shanley would be down after graduating a bunch of talent.....

"Shanley will be in the hunt. Oksendahl, for my money, is one of the top football coaches in the state."
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Postby coolhandluke » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:24 pm

Shanley definitely deserves to be back. Great coach, talented kids. If Grafton comes out tight, and doesn't mix up the offense well, they may have a tough time. IF they are too tentative - don't take it to them, they may have a tough time. But I have seen something in this team that makes me believe it won't happen. The Wahpeton game taught them what they are made of. If I was a betting man, I'd take their talent and work ethic, along with the fantastic season they used to get to where they wanted to be, and go with them every time. I hope both teams put on a decent show. From myself to the Spoilers as they get ready to take on the Deacons, I'd like to change up a quote from the immortal Shane Falco, "Pain heals, chicks dig scars . . . It's been an honor sharing this season with you." GO SPOILERS!
coolhandluke
NDPreps Reserve

Postby old#63 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:42 am

Just wondering about the artificial turf angle for Friday's Shanley/Grafton game. Shanley home field is artificial turf isn't it? To my knowledge, I don't know if any of these Grafton kids have ever played on turf. How big of an adjustment do you think that will be, and will it give Shanley an edge? Any thoughts? What do most teams do for shoes when they play in the dome?
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:45 am

old#63 wrote:Just wondering about the artificial turf angle for Friday's Shanley/Grafton game. Shanley home field is artificial turf isn't it? To my knowledge, I don't know if any of these Grafton kids have ever played on turf. How big of an adjustment do you think that will be, and will it give Shanley an edge? Any thoughts? What do most teams do for shoes when they play in the dome?

I believe Grafton did get to play on turf two years ago when they played Oak Grove (not 100% sure on this though).
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby basketball9 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:04 pm

i don't think that grafton needs to be too worried about the rematch with shanley. grafton played wahpeton for a second time just last week and they won again. although the victory wasn't as big, they still showed up and played the way they needed to and won the game. i expect them to do the same this weekend and take the trophy back to grafton. good luck to both teams, i'll be watching
basketball9
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Linebacker48 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:06 pm

Grafton showed that they can overcome adversity against Wahpeton, and I think that was maybe considered a question mark up until this point? But I think Grafton has too tough a defense to give up a substantial amount of points, and I don't think Shanley's offense is high powered enough to get in a shoot out with Grafton. Bottom line I will take Grafton 32-8. Grafton is going to be tough to stop in the dome.
Linebacker48
NDPreps Reserve

Postby old#63 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:29 pm

There are just a lot of things that slant this game towards Shanley. Artificial turf....Shanley has experience, Grafton has little or none. Home town..... Shanley sleeps in, eats lunch at home, and doesn't have a two hour bus ride. Coaching experience in big games....Oksendahl is as experienced as anyone in the state. He's got a football field named after him for gosh sakes.

I'm going to pick Grafton to win (I'll wait till later in the week to predict a score). But I'm just saying, this won't be a blowout like last time.
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Postby been_there_done_that » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:46 pm

Lets go back to 2002 when Cavalier, went to the state championship and went up against powerhouse Dickinson Trinity. No one gave Cavalier a chance because Dickinson Trinity was scoring over 40 points per game that season and had a great defense. Dickinson trinity had a 35 game winning streak going and that year people were debating if Trinity could compete in AAA :) If I remember right a Oksendahl coached team went in and not only beat Trinity but shut them out 18 - 0. He will have his kids ready to go and a great game plan. I will take the Deacons 21 - 14.
been_there_done_that
NDPreps Rookie

Postby winner-within » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:05 pm

I like the Story, I like the user ID.....I too was at the game.....the difference is, There isn't an Oksendahl on the field like there was that game.
Grafton has showed to much dominance to not win out.
Grafton-30
Shanley-20
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:13 pm

old#63 wrote:Just wondering about the artificial turf angle for Friday's Shanley/Grafton game. Shanley home field is artificial turf isn't it? To my knowledge, I don't know if any of these Grafton kids have ever played on turf. How big of an adjustment do you think that will be, and will it give Shanley an edge? Any thoughts? What do most teams do for shoes when they play in the dome?

Two COMPLETELY different types of turf. The FargoDome is astro turf, basically a carpet. You can't wear cleats on it, it cuts you up bad, etc. Shanley has FieldTurf. Feels almost just like grass, but requires no maintenance and always looks nice. You wear cleats on it. Best surface you could ever want. Doesn't get slippery when it rains, if it snows, just blows it off and it's all good.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby old#63 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:33 pm

Indy5 wrote:

Two COMPLETELY different types of turf. The FargoDome is astro turf, basically a carpet. You can't wear cleats on it, it cuts you up bad, etc. Shanley has FieldTurf. Feels almost just like grass, but requires no maintenance and always looks nice. You wear cleats on it. Best surface you could ever want. Doesn't get slippery when it rains, if it snows, just blows it off and it's all good.

So what do most teams wear for shoes when the play at the dome? Just regular tennis shoes or what?
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Postby Indy5 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:39 pm

old#63 wrote:
Indy5 wrote:

So what do most teams wear for shoes when the play at the dome? Just regular tennis shoes or what?

They make turf cleats, which is what college teams that play on it buy. But, since high school kids only have a week to find shoes they usually don't have time to get turf cleats so they just wear basketball shoes which work ok.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby old#63 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:00 pm

Indy5 wrote:
old#63 wrote:
Indy5 wrote:

They make turf cleats, which is what college teams that play on it buy. But, since high school kids only have a week to find shoes they usually don't have time to get turf cleats so they just wear basketball shoes which work ok.

So what do you wear when you play on FieldTurf like Shanleys? Regular cleats like you would wear on grass fields?
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Postby prepsfan5 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:53 pm

My prediction:
Shanley 33 (All field goals)
Grafton 21
ahhhhhhhhhhhh yeaaahhhhhhhh!
prepsfan5
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Mighty-Mouse » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:17 pm

I'll take Shanley by 7 in a shoot out
"Here I am to save the day!"
Mighty-Mouse
NDPreps All-State

Postby Indy5 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:01 pm

old#63 wrote:
Indy5 wrote:
old#63 wrote:
Indy5 wrote:

So what do you wear when you play on FieldTurf like Shanleys? Regular cleats like you would wear on grass fields?

That is correct. It plays just like grass, but better. It is essentially grass that is always perfect.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby gobison » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:15 pm

It's hard to beat a team twice in the same season.
Taking that into account and that Grafton has little championship experience while Shanley's been there and done that, I'll take Shanley 34-24.
gobison
NDPreps Starter

Postby ND.fan » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:26 pm

i'll take grafton 28-7(deacons will get their points on a fluke play)

graftons receivers will be to much for shanleys secondary
also i think graftons defense will turn it up a notch.
ND.fan
NDPreps Rookie

Postby thewanderer » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:39 pm

gobison wrote:It's hard to beat a team twice in the same season.
Taking that into account and that Grafton has little championship experience while Shanley's been there and done that, I'll take Shanley 34-24.

just so i am clear, you are predicting a 44 total point swing based how hard it is to beat a team twice and championship experience? (remember 95% of the Grafton kids played in a state championship last year in either basketball, hockey or baseball)
thewanderer
NDPreps All-State

Postby gobison » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:13 pm

Those sports don't equal a state championship game in football where there's a more intense atmosphere (along with the statewide broadcast). And Grafton players don't have much experience in the state championship game or especially the Fargodome and its turf. Shanley also has gotten better since their last meeting (which was in Grafton), and Grafton had its hands full with Wahpeton, who threw 3 picks (one for a touchdown), and only beat them by 12.
gobison
NDPreps Starter

Postby old#63 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:25 pm

gobison wrote:Those sports don't equal a state championship game in football where there's a more intense atmosphere (along with the statewide broadcast). And Grafton players don't have much experience in the state championship game or especially the Fargodome and its turf. Shanley also has gotten better since their last meeting (which was in Grafton), and Grafton had its hands full with Wahpeton, who threw 3 picks (one for a touchdown), and only beat them by 12.

You don't think the state hockey championship or the state class B boys basketball championship games are as intense of atmosphere as a state football championship? Wrong. Grafton's kids have more experience with big games than anyone. Now if you want to compare coaches, I'll go along with you and agree that Oksendahl has far more experience than Maus. But not the kids.

And I'm not slamming your pick. That's your opinion. But if Shanley is going to score 34 points, that will be 10 points more than Shanley's average. And they will have to do it against a Grafton defense that has allowed an average of 6 points per game for the season.
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Postby thewanderer » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:47 pm

old#63 wrote:
gobison wrote:Those sports don't equal a state championship game in football where there's a more intense atmosphere (along with the statewide broadcast). And Grafton players don't have much experience in the state championship game or especially the Fargodome and its turf. Shanley also has gotten better since their last meeting (which was in Grafton), and Grafton had its hands full with Wahpeton, who threw 3 picks (one for a touchdown), and only beat them by 12.

You don't think the state hockey championship or the state class B boys basketball championship games are as intense of atmosphere as a state football championship? Wrong. Grafton's kids have more experience with big games than anyone. Now if you want to compare coaches, I'll go along with you and agree that Oksendahl has far more experience than Maus. But not the kids.

And I'm not slamming your pick. That's your opinion. But if Shanley is going to score 34 points, that will be 10 points more than Shanley's average. And they will have to do it against a Grafton defense that has allowed an average of 6 points per game for the season.

it would be darn close but i dont think Grafton's starting defense has given up much more than 34 points all season
thewanderer
NDPreps All-State

Postby old#63 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:20 am

After careful consideration, I'm going with...

Spoilers 26
Deacons 17
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Postby coolhandluke » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:02 pm

You can't be serious. The turf will make Grafton even faster. And Wahpeton was also a much improved team after beating Bottineau handily the previous week. I do agree that Oksendahl and the Deacon's experience on the field will help. I do however, look at the Wahpeton game as an eye-opener, almost an aberration. Grafton now knows they can't be tight, and just expect to win. It is tough to beat people by 30+ almost every game, only play 3 quarters with your starters in etc. and then just not expect teams to cave in to your superiority. That's what kids tend to do. A huge thank you to the Huskies, as now the Spoilers will be ready to go - they will have grown from the loss. The Grafton kids as I know them are a very intelligent group, with a strange sense of what they need to do to achieve their goal. Good luck to both teams, but I'd have to go with the Spoilers, no score necessary, who cares about that - JUST WIN BABY!!!
coolhandluke
NDPreps Reserve

Next

Return to AA