Mayvile-Portland-Clifford-Galsberg Get

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby ndfan » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:55 pm

Yes i know D-town is great and they lost there only game at home on parents night. They are the best team in the state im sure, I'm not gonna argue about that. Again this is class B board talking about #1 class B team in the state. So go post to South fans why you are #1 in the state, i'm sure they would be more ammused.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Ming01 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:15 pm

Pretty sure Devils Lake would dominate Four Winds.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby NDSportsFan » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:52 pm

Looking at the poll points, it looks like there were a lot of differing opinions.  I wouldn't take it too serious.  The top teams will all get a chance to prove themselves in the upcoming districts.  Who ever was #1 in the last poll probably won't matter if they don't make it to state.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby 4 Winds Indians Hoops Fan » Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:49 pm

It doesn't matter anymore.  Its on like donkey kong now, cause its playoff time baby.  I can't wait til 4 winds busts out with some ol' skool breakem down shotgun style 360 fastball pulverizing moves and a few old Woodlakeisms.  If there are any pair of guards in the state that can handle the guards 4 winds has, I will be very surprised.  And as for wondering if 4 winds can hang with Devils Lake, they have handled them as recently as this summer 4 winds beat Devils Lake in a couple different team camps, although it is only summer ball, Devils Lake had all of their players and the boys just used em.  I say lets get the talks going about a 4 winds vs. Devils Lake exhibition game for charity or something, after the season is over.  Why not???  They are 2 of the top programs in the state right now and they are only 13 miles apart, forget Class A or Class B, lets get 2 of the top teams together for a guaranteed entertaining event, that would definitely bring in a crowd that would pack either gym but the Devils Lake Sports Center would be the obvious choice because of space.

I know they each have much respect for each other and they often play together in tournaments in the off-season so the kids already have a relationship, I say its time to break barriers and bring the 2 communities together.  Hoka Hay.  Good topic Sheldon GreyWater.

Shoeless Joe
4 Winds Indians Hoops Fan

Postby ndfan » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:21 pm

[user=203]4 Winds Indians Hoops Fan[/user] wrote:
It doesn't matter anymore.  Its on like donkey kong now, cause its playoff time baby.  I can't wait til 4 winds busts out with some ol' skool breakem down shotgun style 360 fastball pulverizing moves and a few old Woodlakeisms.  If there are any pair of guards in the state that can handle the guards 4 winds has, I will be very surprised.  And as for wondering if 4 winds can hang with Devils Lake, they have handled them as recently as this summer 4 winds beat Devils Lake in a couple different team camps, although it is only summer ball, Devils Lake had all of their players and the boys just used em.  I say lets get the talks going about a 4 winds vs. Devils Lake exhibition game for charity or something, after the season is over.  Why not???  They are 2 of the top programs in the state right now and they are only 13 miles apart, forget Class A or Class B, lets get 2 of the top teams together for a guaranteed entertaining event, that would definitely bring in a crowd that would pack either gym but the Devils Lake Sports Center would be the obvious choice because of space.

I know they each have much respect for each other and they often play together in tournaments in the off-season so the kids already have a relationship, I say its time to break barriers and bring the 2 communities together.  Hoka Hay.  Good topic Sheldon GreyWater.

Shoeless Joe

Is that the same Sheldon GreyWater that played football for Devils Lake in the 90's???
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby bison_18 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:30 pm

I belive Velva has one of the best tandems at guards as far as defense goes. Velva likes playin an uptempo game. I think they could handle four winds' guards.
bison_18
NDPreps Starter

Postby Indians Alumni » Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:01 am

Well, thanks Dean Dauphinais Jr, for the shout out!  Yes it is me Sheldon Greywater.
Last edited by Indians Alumni on Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Backintheday » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:37 am

I get the feeling that Alumni would be happy with being number 1 in the final poll and who cares what happens at the end.
Polls are for crap.  They do nothing positive for a team.  Especially if the kids start to believe the poll.
The Indianapolis Colts were #1 all year in just about every NFL ranking and poll.  Ask Peyton Manning if he is satisfied.
Do it in the tourney.  That is all that matters. 
As far as FW beating Devils Lake in boys basketball.  :shock: What are you smoking man.;)
Backintheday

Postby Indians Alumni » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:43 am

You just contradicted yourself! If they have not played each other how can you make that assumption???

Your right about one thing Rankings don't mean squat, when it is all said and done!  Or you wouldn't play the game.  So what you are also saying is DL is a paper champion too?  Not bashing DL, just what you said!  Ignorance is not an excuse!!!

I think that game should happen, proceeds going to a charity or something.  It would be big for both communities!

When it comes to defense, FW also has a tandem of players that can guard anyone!  So not only can they score, but they can handle teams defensively!  I don't think you go undeafeted not playing defense!  FW also has as much as 7 players that can put up double figures!  They are a well balanced team. 
Last edited by Indians Alumni on Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Backintheday » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:04 am

Do not try to match wits, you will lose. 
I neither contradicted myself nor did I assume anything.  The facts are:
1.  Four Winds has proven time and again they can't get it done in the tourney.
2.  Devils Lake is at the top of CLass A, FW is near the top of class B.
3.  There is no player on FW team that can or would want to guard Travis Mertens.
Being neutral and not a fan of either team it is easy to see that you have a chip on your shoulder and that your loyalty clouds your judgement.  That is to be commended for staying true to your allegiance to FW but also makes your reasoning and opinion faulty.

If FW can do it at Tourney time, kudos.
And I guess the same could be said for DL.
Polls are just polls and like I said before, I think that they do a team more harm than good to be on top of them.
Backintheday

Postby Batman » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:27 am

Backintheday wrote:Do not try to match wits, you will lose. 

3.  There is no player on FW team that can or would want to guard Travis   

your arrogance is admirable, "Do not try to match wits, you will lose"  very classy

#1 is irrelevant, how many of the Devils Lake kids on the roster are state champions?

#2 I believe Devils Lake lost at home, 4-Winds is undefeated, so statistically they are better.

#3 How do you know this unless you have spoken to the 4-Winds players?  Again more assumptions by you which discredit your entire post.

How about we just support both teams and call it a draw?  
Batman
NDPreps Starter

Postby theefollman » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:35 am

Batman wrote:
Backintheday wrote:Do not try to match wits, you will lose. 

3.  There is no player on FW team that can or would want to guard Travis   

your arrogance is admirable, "Do not try to match wits, you will lose"  very classy

#1 is irrelevant, how many of the Devils Lake kids on the roster are state champions?

#2 I believe Devils Lake lost at home, 4-Winds is undefeated, so statistically they are better.

#3 How do you know this unless you have spoken to the 4-Winds players?  Again more assumptions by you which discredit your entire post.

How about we just support both teams and call it a draw?  

First off I would like to say how many kids on theFour Winds Team are  state champions. Second I would like to say how many kids from Four Winds played for a team like an AAU team over the summer where you pretty much have to be one of the best kids in the state to be on a team like that. Devils Lake had 2 and I guerntee they could of had 3 if one of them wasnt a huge baseball player too. Who have Four Winds really played that is a  big ranked team. You cant say anything about Class B teams playing Minnesota teams. If you wanted to say that than Devils Lake held  ever Minnesota team under 36 points and they beat them by over a 40 point margin each time. The last I checked the one team Four Winds beat from Minnesota they just beat a team Devils Lake beat by 50 in OT by 2 points. Four Winds did not beat that team by more than 20. Another thing is didnt Four Winds only beat Leeds-Minneuwaken by like 15 and Devils Lakes JV team yes THERE JV team beat leeds by was it 8 points this year. They dont compare and never will.
theefollman
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Indians Alumni » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:36 am

Four Winds Has played DL in summer Team camps and yes, they did Guard T. Mertens.  And yes they did win!!!  DL does not come from a long line of State Tournament appearances!  You contradicted yourself when you stated that it all comes down to playing the game and yet you make a statement that DL can beat FW.  They have not played the game, but yet you have it set that DL will win??? Seems a little contractictory to me.  Only one making Ignorant Statements is you, backinthday!  What did DL do last year?  I am not taking anything away from DL.  I am just stating, there should be a game, that will be the only way to prove the better team, and not what you think! 
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby NDSportsFan » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:43 am

The fans of Four Winds have a right to have a chip on their shoulder.  They are undefeated and ranked behind a team that has lost a game.  Oh well, they will get a chance to prove themselves soon enough, it's tournament time. 

Devils Lake and their fans will also get their chance. 

Lets play the tournaments out first, then we'll discuss who was better afterwards.  Untill then support your own teams without disparaging the other.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indians Alumni » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:46 am

Two Kids from Four Winds were selected to play in Australia. Tony Ironheart & Kallen Littlewind.   I don't know about the AAU, but I believe that is a good accomplishement!

And Didn't Devils Lake Lose at home on Parents night???
Last edited by Indians Alumni on Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby theefollman » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:49 am

Indians Alumni wrote:Two Kids from Four Winds were selected to play in Australia. Tony Ironheart & Kallen Littlewind.   I don't know about the AAU, but I believe that is a good accomplishement!

Dude I have heard of that Australia thing going on and every kid has a chance to play for it. Most kids dont go though because it costs a lot of money. Its not you are selected its if you have the money to go. I think some JV kids from here could go to that. AAU is huge though. Your playing the best kids in Every state.
theefollman
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Indians Alumni » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:55 am

I've coached AAU Girls in Minnesota, your right there is a lot of good kids, but it all comes to signing up!
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby theefollman » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:52 am

Indians Alumni wrote:I've coached AAU Girls in Minnesota, your right there is a lot of good kids, but it all comes to signing up!

AAU is the best of the best though all over this country. Signing up has nothing to do with it. You can sign up but there not going to put you on the team if you average like 5 points a game with your regular varsity.
theefollman
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Indians Alumni » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:59 am

Does it make you feel better to bring other kids down!  I am all about cheering kids up, not down!!!
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby 1337 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:01 am

Where are these two blue chip Devils Lake basketball players going to play college ball at?
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby theefollman » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:07 am

1337 wrote:Where are these two blue chip Devils Lake basketball players going to play college ball at?

Both Undecided. One was being looked at strongly for football too. I am not bringing other kids down either, I am just saying that I dont think Four Winds would beat Devils Lake, Its my personal Opinion but im sure there are more people out there that would agree with me. No offense to Four Winds, and i hope you arent taking any and they have good players and i wish them the best in the tournys but I still feel strong about who I think and believe would win.
theefollman
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Irisheyes » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:12 am

Bottom Line.  Polls are Polls and it really doesn't matter know.  It's Tourney time.  All teams mentioned in the polls are good and best of luck to them all.  Stay healthy and play hard.  Let the kids be kids and have a fun experience enjoying the tourneys.  It should be great for the Devils Lake REGION that they have 2 teams that are premier in the state.  A lot of excitement is great, maybe the fishing will be great too.  Great point in keeping it positive.  Let the kids battle it out at the old eagles tourney for bragging right.  They both need to concentrate on opponents coming up.  peace out.
Irisheyes
NDPreps Reserve

Postby 1337 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:18 am

[user=112]theefollman[/user] wrote:
Both Undecided. One was being looked at strongly for football too. I am not bringing other kids down either, I am just saying that I dont think Four Winds would beat Devils Lake, Its my personal Opinion but im sure there are more people out there that would agree with me. No offense to Four Winds, and i hope you arent taking any and they have good players and i wish them the best in the tournys but I still feel strong about who I think and believe would win.

Thanks. I was just curious.

I think we should try swing this one back around to the topic. theefollman made a good post that basically boils down to the fact that we'll all have to agree to disagree :) It is the same old debate of A vs. B, a certain 1985 team vs. a 1996 team and the like. These debates can't be settled for we'll truly never know. Each of us can cheer on our teams and hope for the best! I think it's great to see such an enthusiastic support for our local teams and that we all benefit by the overwhelming topics that prove there is some good basketball being played up here in the great state of North Dakota.

As has been stated many a time in this thread, it's tournament time. That should settle all the talk, at least within each respective class!

Good luck to all!
NDPreps All-Conference

Previous

Return to Boys