UND's new nickname?

No smack talk is allowed here.

Re: UND's new nickname?

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:24 am

winner-within wrote:
The Schwab wrote:First off I will state that I do not know what it is like to walk in the shoes of the minority. I do however think that UNDs use of the nickname isn't as negative as people are making it out to be (I could be wrong, just stating my opinion). The University of North Dakota offers classes dealing with Native American history/traditions/culture etc... (And as far as I know are the only school that offers those classes to that extent). What happens to those classes when they change the nickname? You would be nieve to think they would still offer them. I for one do not care one way or the other if they change the nickname, I do however think that certain people on a certain reservation in ND aren't representing the wishes of the people they represent, but that is a whole seperate issue. I'm sure that some fans of any UND sport have some ill feelings towards the Native American people because of this issue, but to say every UND fan shares those same feelings is a very bold and untrue statement. I am not nieve to think we don't have any racist people living in our state (We are one of the most conservative states in the Union and a lot of our population doesn't like change). I have loved and been around sports my whole life, but I think it is absolutely ridiculous that we are spending tax payer dollars fighting to keep a nickname. The thing that people need to remember is that this is just a nickname, not a friend/neighbor/loved one, it is just a name we use to identify sports teams. Sorry I rambled a little bit, just my two cents.

You guys keep missing my point.....There is not one season ticket holder that would want to sit beside an Enrolled Member of an Native Tribe for the season regardless of the Nickname Issue....They just don't want to, they would feel that they shouldn't have to and they would feel like someone "strayed to far away from their Reservation" SAD!! but true.

I am a season ticket holder and sit right next to two older Native American ladies every game. They are diehard fans and get into every game like you wouldn't believe. And until you have brought all this up, I have never really thought of them as Native American, just fellow Sioux fans enjoying the game as I am. There are many, many people that are not discrimanatory to people of other races/cultures.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Mighty-Mouse » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:07 am

winner-within wrote:
The Schwab wrote:First off I will state that I do not know what it is like to walk in the shoes of the minority. I do however think that UNDs use of the nickname isn't as negative as people are making it out to be (I could be wrong, just stating my opinion). The University of North Dakota offers classes dealing with Native American history/traditions/culture etc... (And as far as I know are the only school that offers those classes to that extent). What happens to those classes when they change the nickname? You would be nieve to think they would still offer them. I for one do not care one way or the other if they change the nickname, I do however think that certain people on a certain reservation in ND aren't representing the wishes of the people they represent, but that is a whole seperate issue. I'm sure that some fans of any UND sport have some ill feelings towards the Native American people because of this issue, but to say every UND fan shares those same feelings is a very bold and untrue statement. I am not nieve to think we don't have any racist people living in our state (We are one of the most conservative states in the Union and a lot of our population doesn't like change). I have loved and been around sports my whole life, but I think it is absolutely ridiculous that we are spending tax payer dollars fighting to keep a nickname. The thing that people need to remember is that this is just a nickname, not a friend/neighbor/loved one, it is just a name we use to identify sports teams. Sorry I rambled a little bit, just my two cents.

You guys keep missing my point.....There is not one season ticket holder that would want to sit beside an Enrolled Member of an Native Tribe for the season regardless of the Nickname Issue....They just don't want to, they would feel that they shouldn't have to and they would feel like someone "strayed to far away from their Reservation" SAD!! but true.

Winner, there is bitterness and racist remarks here. I for one, wouldn't care who I sat beside in a game. I'm there for the game and for the players. I myself have been on the opposite end of discrimination from Native Americans. I went to a basketball game and sat down to watch the game. All of a sudden I was hit with a dime that was thrown at me. By the end of the game, I made 71 cents :D , did I get mad at a few dumb people, NO. I didn't judge the whole group for a few people who wants to stay in the past. Don't get me wrong, if we don't remember our past, we will repeat it, I understand this, but my goal, is to make this a better place around my control then when I recieved it. I'm trying to understand different cultures, that I didn't grow up in so this way I will understand their needs. We all need to try and remember our past but we need to make the future a better place of understanding.
"Here I am to save the day!"
Mighty-Mouse
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:43 am

Amen, Amen to folks who are blind to color or race.....this type of activity is what would have kept the name had it started years ago....to have a Native American in your golf 4some, to have one as a Son-in law or daughter-in law, to embrace the thought of blending society and not segregating it with rich, poor, color, social status .....
Racism is Bred, its not choice, its influenced and its contagious and the thought of people thinking that someday whites will be the Minority is far fetched, especially in the Midwest....it will never be, when the State of ND is even minutely governed by anybody other that white people.
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Mighty-Mouse » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:18 am

winner-within wrote:Amen, Amen to folks who are blind to color or race.....this type of activity is what would have kept the name had it started years ago....to have a Native American in your golf 4some, to have one as a Son-in law or daughter-in law, to embrace the thought of blending society and not segregating it with rich, poor, color, social status .....
Racism is Bred, its not choice, its influenced and its contagious and the thought of people thinking that someday whites will be the Minority is far fetched, especially in the Midwest....it will never be, when the State of ND is even minutely governed by anybody other that white people.

Winner, you are right, racism is bred, I grew up in the Midwest not to far from where they hold the biggest KKK rally in the north. I've never been able to see where someone "HATES" someone because the color of their skin or where they come from. I have tried to walk in the other person shoes first before making a judgment call. What we need to do is try and make the future a better place for our childrens children by educating them.
"Here I am to save the day!"
Mighty-Mouse
NDPreps All-State

Previous

Return to North Dakota's Universities and Colleges