What makes a good hoops program???

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby 4 Winds Indians Hoops Fan » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:48 pm

The game of basketball has changed a lot over the past 10 years or so, there is a considerably smaller gap between class "A" players and class "B" players.  People are stuck on this idea that somehow class "A" players are better, I say to heck with that.  Look at a team like New Rockford had the past 3-4 years, those kids could ball, and they were as good a team as any class "A" school.  Another example is 4 Winds, not until the past 2-3 years or so, they had been class "B" division at team camps and walking all over teams, until certain people in the community with a big black cowboy hat stepped up and started entering the boys in the "A" division.... and whattaya know, they were still smoking teams left and right.

The reason these teams are having such great success is because they have been playing together since elementary school for the most part and by the time they reach high school the chemistry is there between the players, they just need someone with a little common sense to lead them to a title.  Devils Lake is another example, those boys have been playing together for a long time and ol coach Gregory gets to reap those benefits, not at all taking anything away from the swell job he is doing but wow, what a hand to be dealt straight outta the box. 

Its not class "A" is better then "B" its the community who cares enough about their children's success to spend countless volunteer hours travelling, spending lots of dough and supporting their children that make them successful.  Thats the reason 4 winds is 36-3 in the past 2 years and that is also why Devils Lake is dominating class "A" competition.

So, again I ask, what makes a good program?? 

4 Winds Indians Hoops Fan

Postby nativegolfer » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:18 am

Thanks Dean and if I could interject I believe creating a good BB program has to be a community effort with the coaches at all levels being on the same page about what type of BB they want to play and being committed to teaching fundamentals.  You eluded to this in your post and I strongly agree that you also need individuals who are going to put in long hours and probably a lot of thier own money just like the little guy with the black cowboy hat.  We at Fort Totten have been blessed with community members who made these sacrifices for the boys and girls programs over the years and we are reaping the benefits now in a big way!  Thanks you to those individuals and keep up the good work.  JL
nativegolfer
NDPreps All-State

Postby Indians Alumni » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:18 am

I would have to agree with you JL!  Quality programs do involve alot of parental involvement!  The GWTBH (Guy with the Black Hat) is a guy who puts all his time and effort into making these kids better.  He sees a future in these boys and any joking asside, He actually cares about the kids and not what his record shows.  It just benefits him, that through his caring his record shows it.  
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby 4 Winds Indians Hoops Fan » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:47 am

Yeah whatever Sheldon, how bout a spell check once in awhile, I thought you were bragging that you went to a "Private" college and earned a "Degree" in "Organization and Administration of Kickball".  Wow.  One upped you.

"3000 years of beautiful tradition from Moses to Sandy Koufax, your'e gosh darn right I'm living in the past!!!"

Yo J Lo, give a wicked Hoka Hay at the game tonite for me, I have to work on my thesis otherwise I'd be there.
Last edited by 4 Winds Indians Hoops Fan on Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
4 Winds Indians Hoops Fan

Postby nativegolfer » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:46 am

I wasn't aware Phys. Ed majors had to write a thesis.  Any way, good luck with that and we'll probably get outtufit if the girls win.  JL
nativegolfer
NDPreps All-State

Postby Indians Alumni » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:57 am

Last edited by Indians Alumni on Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby nativegolfer » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:03 am

Ho Dean, gonna let him talk to you like that?  JL
nativegolfer
NDPreps All-State

Postby 1337 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:07 am

Let's stick to the topic. Thanks. :cool:

*Edit spelling
Last edited by 1337 on Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
NDPreps All-Conference

Return to Boys